Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2019, 10:58   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_lightspeed View Post

1) Do we have to close the EGR valve manually with a plate even after remapping? (another tuner nearby told me as they require to close it manually after remapping)

2) My car has only run around 400kms. should I wait till it covers 1k to modify the map?

3) Any changes with engine noise and amount of exhaust smoke from the car after remapping?

4) How long you've been using the map? is it reliable?

Regards,
Joseph.
1-With WolfMoto, they didn't require it to be closed with a plate. Since I had a plate with me, I did it anyway. With my first tuner however, he wanted me to close it first physcially and then he could delete it in the software, probably because it was easy work for him.

2- I would suggest finishing the first service @2500kms.

3- The latest map I have is low on smoke and slightly higher diesel clatter at a certain rpm only. The first map I had was quite low on engine noise.

4- I got the first map done January last year. So far, no issues and the car has run close to 12k kms since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Can you please bring out the benefits of an EGR delete ? Is it for performance or better reliability ?
More than performance, it is keep the engine internals free from clogging up which down the line will affect efficiency and power. With soot from the EGR and oil vapour from the PCV, it creates a gummy residue which clogs the intake. In my case, I invested on this car to use it for long and did not want any of the diesel engine related issues later on in life which is why I got the EGR partially blocked few months after I bought the car and fully blocked during the remap.

Last edited by tharian : 9th May 2019 at 11:03.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 11:08   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please bring out the benefits of an EGR delete ? Is it for performance or better reliability ?
Hi, fiestarry

EGR is a functional strategy to control NOx emissions from diesel engines. EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. this recirculation leads to deposit carbon soot and makes the intake blocked.

Few of my observations on EGR delete are,
1) Improves the power output of the engine.
2) Improves fuel efficiency and the longevity of the engine.
3) It can prevent EGR replacement which can cost amount up to 8k.

attaching a photo found from YouTube helps in better understanding.

Regards,
Joseph.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-maxresdefault.jpg  

Last edited by joe_lightspeed : 9th May 2019 at 11:22.
joe_lightspeed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 17:46   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Hi ,I have an Ecosport which has run 145K, is it any beneficial doing EGR block now ? It's 5 yrs old. Also how is it done. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mir View Post
I've a 35k run EcoSport diesel who's EGR I'd like to partially block. Did you finally insert the metal plate on the left side of the egr pipe or the right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_lightspeed View Post
Hi Tharian,

I recently bought new Figo 1.5 TDCI and planning to do an EGR Delete.

Is there any possibility to block the EGR using OBD? and without remapping the car?

Regards,
Joseph.
Quote:
An informative video on why a catch can is a better mod than a EGR delete.

tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 10:20   #169
Senior - BHPian

Hit the 20000 kms mark last night. Sadly this was in the parking lot of a mall instead of a highway which I normally hit my milestones on.

The first 10k kms came in just 9 months and the second 10k took another 14 months. This month end would mark 2 years since I started driving this diesel rocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-img_2764.jpg  

Old 10th May 2019, 10:29   #170
BHPian

Hey tharian hows the remap doing? Did you make any further changes to your car?

Last edited by scorpian : 10th May 2019 at 10:30.
Old 10th May 2019, 11:33   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Hey tharian hows the remap doing? Did you make any further changes to your car?
I got an updated map flashed sometime back(updates on previous pages) from WM.
This mainly was to reduce the smoke and increase the power by a bit too.
Smoking has reduced, power is similar to the previous map, but the top seems to have improved.
Old 10th May 2019, 12:02   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I got an updated map flashed sometime back(updates on previous pages) from WM.
This mainly was to reduce the smoke and increase the power by a bit too.
Smoking has reduced, power is similar to the previous map, but the top seems to have improved.

I too need to have this done, reduce the smoke a little bit and a further bump in power would be nice.But there is a remarkable difference compared to stock, right from smoothness to better drive ability overall.The car feels so very different its just amazing.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 15:46   #173
Senior - BHPian

I happened to check the oil level the other day and my car has joined the engine oil consumption club.
The oil was replaced 2.5k kms back and the oil on the dipstick has dropped one level. I decided to keep a track of it frequently so it doesn't drop too low.

A point to note was that I asked the service center to pour around 200ml less engine oil when they replaced it since I could top up using the Liqui Moly oil additive. Not sure if that had an effect.

How low on the dipstick is when a top up is required.
Old 29th May 2019, 17:03   #174
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, the dipstick has a minimum level mark. Top-up should happen before the oil level hits this mark. Hope that helps.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 17:33   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Though the manual recommends not to let the level fall below the min mark, I normally top-up when the level falls on or below the halfway mark, just to be on a safer side.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:03   #176
Senior - BHPian

Two videos showing the soot thrown out from the exhaust through second and third gears revving upto 4k rpm.
The first video shows a lot of soot since it was after a long time that I could rev the engine that high, otherwise it has been stop go traffic.
The second run shows hardly any soot.

tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 09:39   #177
Senior - BHPian

Achieved the highest fuel efficiency on a weekend trip to Chennai.

20 kmpl for 600 kms of which I was just above 2000 rpm for most of it.
On the return trip, I did not cross 100 kmph, a first for me. Add to that the car was not used in Chennai, so it was purely a highway drive.

The expressway is complete upto Chittoor now and there is just around 30 kms of roadworks after that after which it is good roads again. Traffic was low being a Sunday and I was able to keep a constant speed most of the way.
Tanked up soon after I returned to check the efficiency and I was happy I finally got some good numbers.

Car is nearing 22k kms and the engine is set in perfectly and is super smooth at times. 4k kms since the last oil change and after this trip, I could feel some coarseness by the time I reached back home.

The left front power window switch works only when rolling it down and the driver side control has to be used to roll it up. Now sure it if is faulty or if it is something else. Since it is not urgent, I will get it checked in the next annual service.

Smoking has reduced quite a bit during hard throttling and is present only when turbo spool. Since my exhaust end can is removed and the pipe is side facing, it helps in checking smoke levels through the side rear view mirror, but at the same time, it leaves a coat of soot on the bottom of the bumper. Thankfully there is a black strip on the bottom of the rear bumper and so it is not noticeable.

The remap still thrills the drive. There are times when I want go get away from a car or two doing the same speeds who either are in front or tagging me and I just need to floor it in 5th and in no time I reach unmentionable speeds and then they are a speck. A slight dab on the accelerator is enough when cruising at 2k rpms to clear an overtake. And the best part of all, the engine is smooth and not noisy upto 2.5k rpms. Yes, the fun of revving a motor is absent, but then I got used to driving a diesel now and enjoy it too.

On the concrete stretch of expressway near Chittoor.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubicon: Ford Aspire 1.5L Sports, now Wolf'd-a96e79372cbc4549a09553e2f2f98fd9.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 16th July 2019 at 10:02.
tharian is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 09:21   #178
Senior - BHPian

The car has been seeing only city drives in the last month and that too, not much kms. There were times when it is lying unused for couple of days.
Last week when I took it out after a 3 day break, I felt the engine to be quite jerky when it came to acceleration. It seemed like it was fueling too much which led to unwanted acceleration during slow speeds and during gear shifts. That lasted for a day during the onward and return from work. Thankfully, I did not experience it on the next day.

The problem with the parking lot in my building is that during heavy rains, all sorts of rodents get into the engine bay. Sometime to escape the dogs, the cats get inside too. As of now, apart from dirt, they haven't disconnected or destroyed anything and when some uncharacteristic feeling crops up in the drive, my first thought is them.

I have been getting a consistent 14 kmpl efficiency in city drives. This after a getting habituated to using the torque wave rather than outright acceleration which was how I used to drive earlier and was getting dismissal figures, especially on highway runs. Before the remaps, it was consistent 15 kmpl in city, regardless of how I drove.
But now, the engine is quite smooth and enjoyable to drive at lower rpms and I always have that power on tap to get to some good speeds in no time.

The last remap I got done from Wolf Moto was a hit or miss since the first one they did was perfect for me and I wasn't sure how the latest one work out.
But apart from the over fueling now and then, it is just right when it comes to power delivery, efficiency and smoke.

Odo as of today stands at 22022 kms.

Last edited by tharian : 17th August 2019 at 09:36.
Old 17th August 2019, 10:01   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two videos showing the soot thrown out from the exhaust through second and third gears revving upto 4k rpm.
Wow, that's some high levels of soot being thrown out during high load. I have my Verna mapped by Wolf recently, and I'm observing the exact same amount of smoke as it was under stock condition. There is no black smoke as such, but there's visible smoke during wot runs.

How fast your Aspire has become, post remap?

Last edited by clevermax : 17th August 2019 at 10:03.
Old 17th August 2019, 11:07   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Wow, that's some high levels of soot being thrown out during high load. I have my Verna mapped by Wolf recently, and I'm observing the exact same amount of smoke as it was under stock condition. There is no black smoke as such, but there's visible smoke during wot runs.

How fast your Aspire has become, post remap?
Smoke is very less, lesser than stock during WOT.
I drive in low revs in city and then once every couple of weeks do a WOT run to remove the soot accumulated in the exhaust system which is what you see in the video. If you see the second run soon after the first, there is hardly any visible smoke and that is at 4k rpms.

Aspire being a light car was quick as it with the diesel engine. What has improved is the top end and mid range pulls from low gear with hardly any lag. In city, it is as good as driving a NA engine or better. On the highway, if required it can reach some high speeds rapidly. I can annoy big car drivers in other words.

Last edited by tharian : 17th August 2019 at 11:12.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks