Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2017, 18:02   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+

Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the club. Well narrated coupled with pictures to support them. Enjoy your ride and keep the thread updated.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
Congragulations. Please update the mileage given in City and Highway conditions which would be very much helpful for shortlisting my next vehicle. Also need your feedback on Braking distance.
I am currently getting roughly around 12 to 14 kmpl, in both city and highway usage. I must admit I haven't calculated it diligently on the highway or within the city - this is an overall figure. The braking distance is short enough in my opinion - for instance, apart from the slight pulsating I mentioned earlier, I don't see any other unfamiliar behavior from a braking perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
I have seen everyone complaining about the uncomfortable driver's seat but I have a totally 'different' experience. I find the seat comfortable for some reason.

For me Verna, Amaze never caused backache after long drive whereas Swift, Honda City (3rd Gen), Innova have always given me backaches! Looks like I must be doing something weird / different

@Nonstop-driver
Apologies for intruding but regarding the gear lever being very hard, over a period of 1800 kms, the gear lever has become smoother for me than before. May be you should get yours checked.

The brake issues mentioned by you apply to me as well. In fact, I received a call from Hyundai yesterday and they asked me only 3 questions - Braking, gear shift and fuel economy. Looks like they have received lot of complaints about it.
The seats are a hit and miss, I guess. I am going to speak to Hyundai about the gear shift issue soon - it seems to getting worse now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by visky View Post
Hi, Congratulations on buying this lovely new car. The black top just enhances the look of the vehicle. Do give your views of how it handle on the highways & the mileage you get in both city & highways.
No vehicle is niggle free & I hope your problems are all rectified when the car goes in for the service.

Lastly enjoy your new buy for many more miles to come & keep updating the thread regularly.
Thank you! The handling of the car on the highway is PHENOMENAL. I have just returned from Bombay this evening. Had a fully loaded trunk with almost half my possessions, which I was moving from Bombay to Pune. In addition was the considerable bulk of both me and the missus The car performed brilliantly and was stable as a warship on a mission! Slot the gear lever into the tiptronic mode (since it allows holding gears) and the car pulls neatly from as low as 1500 RPM in sixth gear without fuss! The suspension is great too! (Picture of the loaded trunk attached)

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-loaded-boot.jpg

As stated, I am getting figures of 12-14 kmpl under varying driving conditions and patterns. I'll try and get a diligent reading up as soon as possible. I am going to keep this thread updated as much as I can! The goal is to document my entire journey with the car and I really hope I can keep that going! (Mods - please do help me out along the way if I lose focus and need to change direction. I would like to make as focused a contribution to the forum and this thread as possible!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the club. Well narrated coupled with pictures to support them. Enjoy your ride and keep the thread updated.
Thank you sir! I am honoured to be able to share my journey experiencing this car with the crème de la crème of the automotive scene! Each interaction brings with it immense learning and knowledge!

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-rolling-curtain.jpg
My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-rolling-curtain-2.jpg

Got these rolling curtains installed from Arihant Accessories (on Nagar Road near the Kharadi bypass) for INR 4450 (all inclusive). The quality is decent and they fit nicely, except that I didn't go for getting them screwed into the door panels. Had to resort to using double sided tape to keep them stuck and they've been holding fine till now. They do their job well keeping out most of the sun and some of the people who keep peeping in! The right rear curtain kept popping up so glued it down with four drops of fevikwik. Enjoying them so far!
anukritbhargava is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 11:09   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anukritbhargava View Post
Thank you! The handling of the car on the highway is PHENOMENAL. I have just returned from Bombay this evening. Had a fully loaded trunk with almost half my possessions, which I was moving from Bombay to Pune. In addition was the considerable bulk of both me and the missus The car performed brilliantly and was stable as a warship on a mission! Slot the gear lever into the tiptronic mode (since it allows holding gears) and the car pulls neatly from as low as 1500 RPM in sixth gear without fuss! The suspension is great too! (Picture of the loaded trunk attached)

Attachment 1653563
Boy that indeed is quite a bit of load hauling. Is that how you transported the TV end to end? You should have just told the better half that you want a larger and slimmer one and tried for an approval...Why try to break it?

Quote:
Got these rolling curtains installed from Arihant Accessories (on Nagar Road near the Kharadi bypass) for INR 4450 (all inclusive). The quality is decent and they fit nicely, except that I didn't go for getting them screwed into the door panels. Had to resort to using double sided tape to keep them stuck and they've been holding fine till now. They do their job well keeping out most of the sun and some of the people who keep peeping in! The right rear curtain kept popping up so glued it down with four drops of fevikwik. Enjoying them so far!
The curtains look good. The double sided tape will hold easily. Its extremely strong (assuming its from 3M or a comparable manufacturer). The only doubt I have is - its now stuck on to the door panel edge. Won't it bug you when you try to look down/back from the rolled down window when reversing/parking in tight spots? Be careful with it, I feel it will take some abuse in day-to-day usage of the driver seat...Tolls, quick exchange of stuff from inside with someone standing outside without opening the doors etc. Was there no possible solution to instead attach it to the upper door frame?

[P.S. Shifting newly to Pune? Welcome!]

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th July 2017 at 11:12.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 19:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for asking this again - what's connected in the 12V socket? Is that for footwell lights?

Also, how are the lights affixed? 3M tape?
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 21:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Boy that indeed is quite a bit of load hauling. Is that how you transported the TV end to end? You should have just told the better half that you want a larger and slimmer one and tried for an approval...Why try to break it?

The curtains look good. The double sided tape will hold easily. Its extremely strong (assuming its from 3M or a comparable manufacturer). The only doubt I have is - its now stuck on to the door panel edge. Won't it bug you when you try to look down/back from the rolled down window when reversing/parking in tight spots? Be careful with it, I feel it will take some abuse in day-to-day usage of the driver seat...Tolls, quick exchange of stuff from inside with someone standing outside without opening the doors etc. Was there no possible solution to instead attach it to the upper door frame?

[P.S. Shifting newly to Pune? Welcome!]
The TV was a nice spare in the Bombay. The wife wanted a new one, in fact. Bit of a cost saving endeavour on my part! :P

The double sided tape didn't hold on the right rear curtain. Installed the screws myself last night. Then went ahead and screwed all of them in. They're rock solid now. The curtains themselves are quite non-intrusive. Their operation is seamless and comfortable. Thankfully haven't faced any issues in parking. Unfortunately, installation within the door panel wasn't feasible - that was my preference.

[A much awaited return to Pune. Have been here for the past six years now. Spent a brief six months in Bombay for work]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Sorry for asking this again - what's connected in the 12V socket? Is that for footwell lights?

Also, how are the lights affixed? 3M tape?
No apologies needed, boss. More than happy to answer any queries and engage. What's connected in the 12V socket is a brilliant dual USB car charger from Regor. Would recommend this - the charging speeds are blazing fast and it is dirt cheap. Available on Amazon.

The lights have a holder that is screwed in.
anukritbhargava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 14:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:

I am not happy with the seats of the Creta at all and getting properly contoured seats is going to be my first major upgrade. Though they look deceptively comfortable, lumbar support is shocking and I have resorted to purchasing a special lumbar support memory foam pillow to alleviate constant back pain. Under thigh support isn’t great either. Hyundai messed up quite badly as far as the seating in the car is concerned. It’s not all gloomy though – the driver’s seat offers more than sufficient room for maneuvering both vertically and horizontally, so finding a good driving position is not difficult.
Hi. I am currently scouting for a SUV'ish car and was also thinking of the Creta AT Diesel. I am 6'2" and getting a comfortable front seats is needed, especially for road trips. How do you think the Creta is in that aspect, after using for number of months?
Are the seats good for long drives?
How is the underthigh support?
How is the suspension on bad roads?
How is the handling on curves?
In every other aspect, the car seems very good. Would you recommend it?
I am currently using Honda City iDtec and find seating bit low and underthigh support is not so good. Have earlier used SX4 petrol.
Hope you can give some insight to help me make a better decision.

Last edited by jesrani : 20th August 2017 at 14:22.
jesrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 11:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Hi. I am currently scouting for a SUV'ish car and was also thinking of the Creta AT Diesel. I am 6'2" and getting a comfortable front seats is needed, especially for road trips. How do you think the Creta is in that aspect, after using for number of months?
Are the seats good for long drives?
How is the underthigh support?
How is the suspension on bad roads?
How is the handling on curves?
In every other aspect, the car seems very good. Would you recommend it?
I am currently using Honda City iDtec and find seating bit low and underthigh support is not so good. Have earlier used SX4 petrol.
Hope you can give some insight to help me make a better decision.
Hi! First up, let me apologize for the delay in getting back to you on this - I was traveling for work over the past four weeks or so and had no time at all! I think it's great that you're considering the Creta and, in my opinion, there is no better car in the compact SUV segment, other than the Compass. My previous update about the car's seats is something I am quite happy to rescind - my baby is at over 8000kms and, post multiple long drives to Goa, Trimbakeshwar, Shirdi and back to Pune, I can happily report that the seats are very comfortable and the discomfort I was facing was down to me more than anything else. The underthigh support is great for me (I'm 5'10, for reference) and I think rather than speculating about how comfortable it'll be for you, take a test drive and decide!

As far as the suspension is concerned, I cannot emphasis enough - this car has by far the best suspension in it's class, with just the right amount of stiffness to ensure the best handling that an SUV of its dimensions can aspire to have. I do realize that the consensus is that the Duster is a much better handler and has better suspension too, but coupled with the ability of the Creta to smother bad roads at medium speeds, I would rate it a notch above the competition. To give you an example, I took the car up to the Bhimashankar temple last weekend. The roads are unbelievably bad and given the incessant rains, I was worried that (a) it would be massively uncomfortable and (b) the car's lack of all wheel drive might get me stuck, since I had a full load of passengers and luggage. The car was a peach, though, and it smothered the road leaving us gently bobbing up and down and the generous torque pulled us through the slush and craters without an issue!

Hyundai's done a great job to ensure this is possibly the best handling vehicle to have come out of their factory and body-roll around curves is negligible. Of course, you can't expect to chuck it around a bend with wanton abandon (it is an SUV after all!), but as long as you stay away from manic driving tendencies, it handles brilliantly!

I would recommend you drive the Compass once. I've heard good things about it from friends who've picked it up and I've had waves of desire well up within on one too many a occasion for my liking about owning the car. If Jeep had launched it with an automatic just a month earlier than when they did, I would have picked it up. But that's just me. I have the Creta and I love it. I did crib about the fact that it does not come with the nicer MID and the auto lamps, auto dimming mirror and auto folding ORVMs on locking the car, but I've learned to live with these minor misses. The one thing I do still believe Hyundai should've given us Creta AT owners? The six airbags and ESP!

Hope this helps!
anukritbhargava is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 00:37   #23

Congrats on your purchase bhargava
As a fellow owner of diesel AT i have a question for you
Did you observe any unsual noise (or clatter) from the engine around 1500 -2000 rpm especially in lower gears
I have only done 600kms in the car the noise is very much audible where as it smoothens over or below the mentioned rpm

We also have diesel i20 and the engine noise in that is consistent compared to the creta
Ocizer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 15:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocizer View Post

Did you observe any unsual noise (or clatter) from the engine around 1500 -2000 rpm especially in lower gears

I have only done 600kms in the car the noise is very much audible where as it smoothens over or below the mentioned rpm

I bought my car two months back and I know what you are saying. My car builds up unnecessary revs when I put pedal to the metal in any particular gear (say X) and doesn't shift up to X+1. I have to let go of the pedal and bring revs down to 2k rpm to allow it to shift gears. Any other fellow member has the same issue? Thanks!

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2017 at 12:05. Reason: Fixing quotation mark (seems to be a recent issue with the iOS app).
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 15:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
I bought my car two months back and I know what you are saying. My car builds up unnecessary revs when I put pedal to the metal in any particular gear (say X)and doesn't shift up to X+1. I have to let go of the pedal and bring revs down to 2k rpm to allow it to shift gears. Any other fellow member has the same issue? Thanks!
Can confirm, but I believe this is the usual behaviour of the AT box and not a malfunction. The car will hold the gear if you accelerate suddenly but the revv is generally more than the movement. But I don't hear any unusual noise in mine.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2017 at 12:05. Reason: Changing typo in quoted post.
Old 9th October 2017, 15:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Can confirm, but I believe this is the usual behaviour of the AT box and not a malfunction. The car will hold the gear if you accelerate suddenly but the revv is generally more than the movement. But I don't hear any unusual noise in mine.

The only noise I hear is of engine building up revs and not going beyond 3k rpm and if I push the engine further it seems like I am just squeezing life out of the engine. So I let go of the pedal for at box to shift gears. If you have a light foot, then the gear shifting is pretty slick.
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 15:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The only noise I hear is of engine building up revs and not going beyond 3k rpm and if I push the engine further it seems like I am just squeezing life out of the engine. So I let go of the pedal for at box to shift gears. If you have a light foot, then the gear shifting is pretty slick.
Agreed. Although if you take the car uphill, it holds the gear for much longer providing the required acceleration. Also if you drive in the tiptronic mode, the engine doesn't feel stressed but gets noisy after 3k. The pull also becomes much less linear after 2k.
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocizer View Post

We also have diesel i20 and the engine noise in that is consistent compared to the creta

Thank you! No, I haven't observed any unusual or excessive clatter/noise from the engine at low RPMs. You will notice that the engine is noticeably louder when started in the morning or after a long period of rest, but that is standard fare when it comes to diesels. IMHO, the 1.6 motor is one of the most refined in the market and in its class. You hit the nail on the head when you state that the i20 motor is consistent with that of the Creta from an aural perspective!

Quote:
I bought my car two months back and I know what you are saying. My car builds up unnecessary revs when I put pedal to the metal in any particular gear (say X) and doesn't shift up to X+1. I have to let go of the pedal and bring revs down to 2k rpm to allow it to shift gears. Any other fellow member has the same issue? Thanks!

This is classic automatic behaviour. The gearbox in the Creta is a torque converter unit and in most cases you are going to notice a buildup in revs if you put your foot down. This is not a design flaw - merely the way it has been designed and the ratios have been programmed, keeping efficiency in mind. In most automatics that I have driven there is a slight release of the pedal required to upshift when revving hard, barring the DSGs I assume. You'll get used to it soon and the driving pleasure will proportionately increase. The engine is great once you learn to identify and live with its nuances!

Quote:

Agreed, sir!

Quote:

Agreed, sir!

Quote:
Agreed. Although if you take the car uphill, it holds the gear for much longer providing the required acceleration. Also if you drive in the tiptronic mode, the engine doesn't feel stressed but gets noisy after 3k. The pull also becomes much less linear after 2k.

Yes, true again. The tiptronic mode is great to use on the ghats on the expressway. The car show enough grunt in both D and tiptronic, in my experience. Took a full load of passengers and luggage to a trip to Bhimashankar, Shirdi and Trimbakeshwar. Lot of twisties, bad and good roads. Never moved out of D. Great experience!
anukritbhargava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 13:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I am currently getting roughly around 12 to 14 kmpl, in both city and highway usage. I must admit I haven't calculated it diligently on the highway or within the city - this is an overall figure.

As stated, I am getting figures of 12-14 kmpl under varying driving conditions and patterns. I'll try and get a diligent reading up as soon as possible. I am going to keep this thread updated as much as I can! The goal is to document my entire journey with the car and I really hope I can keep that going! (Mods - please do help me out along the way if I lose focus and need to change direction. I would like to make as focused a contribution to the forum and this thread as possible!)

Thank you sir! I am honoured to be able to share my journey experiencing this car with the crème de la crème of the automotive scene! Each interaction brings with it immense learning and knowledge!

Hello Sir, it's been quite some time since you last updated on your experience. I am a bit confused between Creta Automatic and XUV5OO Automatic. The pricing is agonizingly close. How has been your experience till now? Which factors brought a big grin on your face and what made you despair, if at all?

I too stay in Pune and would love to get some more insights on purchasing my new car w.r.t. choosing dealer/SA, financing, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!
Pratyush
prince0407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 13:18   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the real world mileage of a Petrol Automatic Creta and Diesel Automatic Creta? My sister is looking for an automatic transmission vehicle, Creta is first preference. Average monthly running will be around 1000-1200kms with occasional highway trips. Why considering both? Because she intends to keep the car for atleast 6-7 years and for ownership over that period, diesel has a little advantage considering fuel costs and mileage.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed