Team-BHP - My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+ (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/188182-my-first-car-hyundai-creta-diesel-sx.html)

Greetings, fellow BHPians! This is my first proper post on the forum and I hope that I can do justice to the lofty standards set by the expert BHPians whose reviews have kept me engrossed for hours over the years! I have just purchased my first car and, as I am sure all would agree, the excitement is through the roof! In light of the aforementioned, please overlook any errors and omissions that I may make in this post!

Prologue
My first car was a Honda City ZX Vtec.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-honda-city-zx.jpg

Given to me in my third year of law school by my mother, it was, for a lack of a better description, AMAZING! The engine is one that has had accolades upon accolades heaped upon it by drivers, enthusiasts and auto journalists alike. The interior is roomy, with oodles of space and comfortable seats, both in the front and back, and a class leading boot for its time. Amongst its few shortcomings were the shoddy ground clearance and a spartan interior (from a features perspective). Bought by the family in 2006, the car, after eleven years of stellar service, had finally started showing its age. With some major repairs looming on the horizon, I had finally started considering purchasing a new car. With a weekly mileage of around 500 kms (mostly on the Bombay-Pune expressway) and navigating through traffic snarls growing at an alarming rate within the city, the decision to move to an automatic was made quite early. Given my frequent trips around Bombay and Pune – with a bi-monthly trip to Goa a certainty – long distance ease of cruising, good highway manners and a suspension capable of taking a beating were the prerequisites my new purchase needed to possess.

The contenders
Having been in the Honda family for more than a decade, my first manufacturer of choice was the Japanese stalwart. The first car I test-drove was the new Honda City.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-new-honda-city-zx.jpg

A good looking ride, I was impressed with the diesel variant quite a bit. My driving style relies heavily on riding the meaty torque-band of an engine and I found the power delivery of the diesel City quite linear and well spread out. Interestingly, I did not find the NVH much of an issue, but, given that this is a universal complaint, suffice to say I must be an exception to the norm. What really ticked me off was the number of complaints against the build quality of the car. While the car did feel well built, the quality of the metal left a lot to be desired and the final nail in the coffin was the lack of an automatic transmission in a car that Honda hopes will compete with the likes of the Vento and the Rapid, both of which possess an amazing DSG gearbox (long-term maintenance issues notwithstanding!).

The next cars on the list were the Rapid and the Vento.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-vento-rapid.jpg

The Vento was a car I was familiar with, having driven it extensively. I was fortunate enough to accompany (and drive myself) a colleague on a test drive of the facelifted Rapid. The car is an instant attention-grabber after the facelift which in my opinion was much needed. The handling and driving dynamics left me impressed, the suspension is one on which I have had nothing but good experiences. All in all, the test drive was a good experience. Crucially though, the lack of an airy cabin and sheer space (perceived or actual, I leave to your good judgment) was a deal-breaker and the search continued.

Homing in
It was sometime during 2015 (if memory serves me right) that I first read about the Creta and it was a car that instantly appealed to me.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-creta-silouhette.jpg

Back in the latter half of 2016, I did test drive the car and came away quite impressed. However, for some inexplicable reason, during the aforementioned test-driving phase, I somehow never seriously considered till after I finally drove (and rejected) the Rapid. Another key reason why I never really considered any compact SUV was because the missus preferred sedans. Having exhausted all options, I managed to get my wife to come along to the nearby Hyundai showroom (Kothari Hyundai @ Kharadi) to take a look at the Creta. Post a quick test drive, I am happy to report that the all-important thumbs up from the wife did not take long! At the time of this test drive, the showroom did not have the diesel Creta available for a test drive. The petrol is extremely refined and the INR 2, 00,000 difference was surely a tempting choice. However, I must admit that there was a perceptible lack of punch and while the fuel efficiency advantages and disadvantages can be debated endlessly, the more important thing was the feeling from behind the wheel. With that said, I decided to schedule a test drive for a diesel automatic the following week, something that the sales advisor arranged. Fast forward a week ahead and by the time I finished the six odd kilometre long test drive, my mind was made up! The Creta was going to be my next purchase!

The Buying Experience

Booking
While I took the test drives in Pune, the car was purchased from Modi Hyundai in Santacruz, Mumbai. The booking procedure was fairly straightforward – I looked up the showrooms closest to my residence in Bandra, which happened to be Modi Hyundai. My sales advisor was Mr. Rupesh Chachad. I must say that it was one of the smoothest car buying experiences I’ve had (ironically, it was my first, but nonetheless!). Rupesh, along with Mr. Vinod Vedre (who is the finance manager @ Modi Hyundai) were instrumental in making sure that I got delivery of my car within 7 days of booking! A bit of negotiating, the right amount of relationship building and a good camaraderie went a long way in ensuring that I got the car delivered to me in record time! The initial booking amount was INR 10,000 and the final on-road price of the diesel SX+ AT was INR 18,60,383 with an extended 4th year warranty. Despite my many attempts, I did not manage to get any discounts, which was a bummer! Hyundai’s 4th year extended warranty did add to some peace of mind (although I hope I don’t have to use it much!)

The Delivery
The real struggle began once the booking was made. Given my impatience and inability to weather through the regular 45 day waiting period, I had nothing but the assurances of the sales advisor that my car would be ready for delivery by the 9th of June. With that out of the way and pretty much out of my control, it was time to sort out the financing. I chose to go with the 95% OTR funding route offered by ICICI. It was the funding bit that threatened to be a bit of a spoilsport – although the car was ready on the 7th itself, the funding came through late evening on the 8th (after a heart-to-heart talk with the ICICI rep!) and it was with great relief that my delivery date of 9th was confirmed! D-day arrived and my excitement was through the roof (so much so that most of my colleagues were excited too, with some rolling their eyes and waiting for me to get out ASAP to leave them to work in peace)! Of course, life will always try and throw you a curveball and this time it threw one in the form of my boss, who very curtly told me that she could not let me off early due to client commitments. In all fairness, we were quite loaded with work and I expected as much. My spirits weren’t dampened for long though – a very helpful senior covered for me – and I was off to the showroom! Delivery was taken @ 6PM on 09.06.2017.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-getting-ready-delivery.jpg

For the most part, the Creta is a fantastic car which I am sure is going to be an excellent companion over the years to come. That said, here’s what I think of the car.

Exterior
One of the major reasons behind my purchase of the Creta was its styling. The car has an imposing front end and the crisp lines and the sharply raking roofline give it a unique character.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-front-angle.jpg

Hyundai’s fluidic design philosophy seems to be evolving with every new generation and it is a testament to their engineers’ design growth – 10 years earlier we did not consider the Verna worth a second glance! Viewed from the front, the car’s inspiration in the form of the Santa Fe is clear for all to see. The beautifully sculpted front headlamps, with the projector headlamp housing and the DRL-like white LED parking lights, look menacing and sporty.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-front-lit.jpg

Talking of the headlamps, the spread and throw of the projectors is sufficient, but having seen BNM’s ride, I am itching to get them upgraded to HIDs as soon as fiscally possible!

At the time of booking the car and going through the brochure, I really liked the dual tone exterior option in the polar white colour scheme. I was told that this option was not available in the automatic variant, therefore, I purchased it as an accessory. The wrap was a 3M 1080 black wrap at a total damage of INR 12,000. I am extremely happy with the results and the quality of the wrap.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-rear.jpg

The rear of the car is somewhat of a let-down in terms of styling – it really doesn’t do justice to the SUV aspirations and high expectations created by that brilliantly designed front end. The tail lamps are not exciting and, viewed from a distance, are too similar to the Elite i20. Nonetheless, the high stance and the chunky tyres do help matters quite a bit. Not to mention that the Team BHP stickers that add a dose of class!

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-diamond-cut-alloys.jpg

The 17-inch diamond-cut alloys add a lot to the character of the car. This is more prominent when you park the car next to the older variants with the 16-inch alloys. There was some concern after reading about the road manners and noise levels of the Goodyear tyres equipped on some variants, so I was quite relieved on seeing Bridgestone Duelers on my vehicle.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-ground-clearance-2.jpgMy first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-ground-clearance.jpg

With 190mm of ground clearance, I don’t anticipate any underbody scraping issues and this was confirmed on the return leg of a Mumbai-Pune trip with a full load of passengers and luggage. The car navigated the craters and speed breakers of the city with aplomb!

Interior

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-dashboard.jpg

The interior of the Creta is a plush place to be in. The thump with which the doors shut exudes class and the whole thing seems extremely well built. The panel gaps are non-existent and the beige running through the centre adds a bit of airiness to the cabin (although I would prefer an all-black interior).

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-steering-wheel.jpg

A welcome addition to the AT was the leather wrapped steering wheel. The quality of the wrap is, in my opinion, surpassed only by the Germans at at least twice the price! The white backlit instrument cluster looks classy and elegant, with large dials which are easily readable regardless of external lighting conditions. The MID is a let-down, though.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-mid.jpg
I will not go into comparing it with the SX(O) since (a) I did not test drive the car and (b) our mods and other expert reviewers have already discussed its strengths and the weaknesses of the AT MID in detail, most of which I agree with. Having said that, here are my thoughts. The MID on the AT has the following options:
(a) Two trip meters
(b) A digital speed display
(c) An average speed display
(d) A running time display

I am not an expert on informative MIDs since, for the past decade, I have been driving a car whose MID (so as to speak) was limited to just two trip meters! However, with that said, I fail to see the point of not including a ‘distance-to-empty’ meter or an ‘average fuel economy’ meter. Clearly, average speed and running time are not as useful as the aforementioned information, not to me at least! Another glaring omission – this perhaps might also be a feature I am yet to locate – is the lack of any control over the illumination of the instrument cluster. I have not driven the i20, which I believe has all these features (and then some!) so my pain is less. But seriously, Hyundai! This is unacceptable in a car at this price! What makes it even more mind-boggling is that this should not have been a difficult task – members, please correct me if I am wrong – since I don’t believe that there would have been any mechanical obstacles to overcome in providing AT users with the same MID as the SX(O) variant. Anyway, moving on!

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-ice-android-auto.jpgMy first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-ice.jpg

The ICE HU is great – responsive and lag-free, with well laid out buttons for the different functions. One of the best things about this HU is the addition of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay – a key deciding factor in waiting for the 2017 model! The feel of the plastic and the buttons on the ICE is premium and I often find myself fiddling with the system aimlessly! The screen glare on sunny afternoons is an issue, especially while using the built-in reversing camera (more on the reversing camera and park-assist feature later). I often find myself shielding the screen with one hand while backing up! The speakers are sufficient in my opinion and while mods like BNM’s amazing sound system are something I hope to get done soon, I am a bit reluctant about the feasibility and after-effects. For instance, the front passenger door has been rattling away incessantly and no amount of pressure has been able to rectify the issue. Ironically, I did not face this issue on the test drive vehicle, so am fairly certain that this is a vehicle-specific issue. I am yet to go to the dealer and get this sorted out, though I am sure they are going to give me some improbable logic.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-12v-socket-ports-1.jpg
The USB and AUX ports along with the 12V socket are conveniently located and thankfully are backlit, which makes it easy to switch and insert cables. One thing to note – the USB port does not charge the device very quickly when connected. In fact, I have noticed the battery depleting while using Android Auto and navigating, which is a let-down. The space in front of the socket and ports is a nice touch to store phones in, although operation can be a bit of a problem with the gear lever in “Park” mode.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-front-ambient-lights.jpg
The top of the dashboard is unfortunately hard plastic and is not too pleasant to touch and the glovebox lacks a cooling function. While not deal breaking features, one cannot be blamed for expecting some niceties in a car at this price and segment. That being said, the design of the glovebox is spacious. In fact, space all around the cabin is good, with both the doors able to swallow 1-litre bottles with ease.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-ice-climate-control.jpg
The climate control system is very effective at cooling the cabin and the operation of the system is seamless. I usually keep the temperature at 23 degrees (as recommended by the manufacturer) and am happy to report that it stays cool in all driving conditions. There is no perceptible strain on the engine, but then again, that is not expected with a 1.6 litre unit, is it?

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-front-seats-lumbar.jpg
I am not happy with the seats of the Creta at all and getting properly contoured seats is going to be my first major upgrade. Though they look deceptively comfortable, lumbar support is shocking and I have resorted to purchasing a special lumbar support memory foam pillow to alleviate constant back pain. Under thigh support isn’t great either. Hyundai messed up quite badly as far as the seating in the car is concerned. It’s not all gloomy though – the driver’s seat offers more than sufficient room for maneuvering both vertically and horizontally, so finding a good driving position is not difficult.

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-rear-seats.jpg
The rear bench is quite comfortable (from what I’ve heard from my passengers) and seems to keep the rear occupants quite happy over long distances, which is great for those road trips that I am itching to get underway ASAP! I agree with the general consensus that it is best reserved for two passengers rather than three as I am sure that would be a squeeze, especially with the protruding rear console. Talking of the rear console, it is fairly efficient at doing its job ventilating the rear of the cabin and the addition of a 12V socket is great!

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-boot.jpg
The boot of the Creta is quite spacious. While on paper smaller than the competition (read: Duster/Terrano), the shape enables easy loading and access. I haven’t had much use for the luggage net provided with the car and the two cubby holes on each side are nifty for storing smaller items that might need to be held in place. For instance, I usually put takeout food containers in there on the way back from work on the days when the missus and I feel like eating takeaway! The fact that the parcel shelf can be easily removed is an added boon for airport runs or when the need to load up to the brim arises, though I would have liked it to be a flush one, and not contoured, which would enable it to be stowed away in a streamlined fashion.

The Mechanicals

Engine

The 1.6 CRDI churns out 126 BHP @ 4000 RPM with 26.5kgm of torque @ 1900 RPM. This engine is a beast! The torque is available in a nice, meaty band and riding it is a breeze. The engine offers enough grunt and power that I rarely find myself exceeding 2000 RPM, in the city or out on the highway. What really surprises is the level of refinement. While it never fails to remind you that it is a diesel, drive with the ICE volume @ 15 points and you will not hear the engine at all. Just that sweet torque pulling you in supreme comfort! Vibrations are non-existent and the cabin is well insulated. I’ve done about 1,800 kilometres as of posting and mileage has been around 12-15kmpl overall, which I am sure will increase with time. At no point in time have I felt there to be a lack of power or had any issues with the driveability of the car in the city or out on the highway. There is a little bit of perceptible turbo-lag till about 1500 RPM but it kicks in quite early and by the time one hits 1800-1900 on the tacho, the surge of torque is sure to plaster a grin on your face – it sure does on mine! Talking of surge, the power delivery is quite linear, helped greatly, I believe, by the torque converter.

Gearbox

My first car - Hyundai Creta Diesel AT SX+-gear-lever.jpg

The gearbox is the weakest link in what is otherwise a competent machine. The torque converter unit is slow to shift and is a bit laggy in its response times. If this were a PTA, I’d label the gearbox as an average performer, worthy of a B but not capable of being a straight-A student. It offers sufficient performance if driven in a sedate and calm manner but trying to extract outright performance is a futile exercise, which is a shame really, since it is always apparent that there is a lot of performance that can be extracted from the engine. There is a tiptronic mode on offer (ambitiously labelled by Hyundai as Sports mode) but there too the gearbox fails to impress. It’s not all gloomy news, though – the charm of the AT is the comfort it offers. In the city, keep a light foot on the A-pedal and it’ll cruise through town just fine. Out on the highway, I find keeping it in the tiptronic mode helpful as it tends to hold the gear when mashing the accelerator, allowing full use of the torque to overtake on the highway. I was well aware of the limitations of the slushbox but am happy to report that it is not overtly disappointing, especially since I am quite a sedate driver myself!

Handling and ride quality
The suspension setup on the Creta is the best you’ll find on offer from the Hyundai stable, bar the Tucson perhaps. The low speed ride is absorbent and pliant without too much wallowing and pitching. Body roll is very well contained and was barely perceptible on the twisties of the Bombay – Pune expressway. The car is planted at speed (120kmph is what I’ve taken it up to). I recall BNM finding the braking an issue. I haven’t found the braking to be an issue, except a slight pulsing while slowing down, which I attribute to the ‘box downshifting. Muted thuds rather than annoying plonks is what you’ll experience over bad patches of tarmac and the grippy Bridgestone rubber ensures that there are no scary moments on expressway speeds. Of course, it is important to remember that this is no sedan and pushing it beyond its limits is going to expose its vulnerabilities. Talking of vulnerabilities, another aspect where I digress from the general consensus is the steering. Personally, I find the steering just perfect and even at speed I have not experienced any dead zoning or any confidence sapping lightness associated with Hyundais of the past. The EPS unit provides sufficient feedback and weighs up quite well. So much so that on the few occasions that I have sped up in the city, the ‘weighing up’ is quite perceptible!

In a nutshell, here are the things I like and dislike about the Creta:

Like:
- Butch SUV styling
- Plush interior
- Powerful 1.6 CRDI engine
- Spacious boot
- Highway manners and cruising ability
- Responsive and lag-free ICE
- Effective air conditioner

Dislike:
- Uncomfortable front seats
- Rear styling (hit or miss, IMHO)
- Lethargic AT 'box
- Lackluster MID
- Quality of some plastics could have been better
- Unlit switchgear except driver's window switch

The ownership experience (so far!)
The experience of owning this car has been thoroughly enjoyable so far! I took it in for its first free service @ 1512 kilometres on the odometer and am loving driving it each day. The car is an absolute beauty to look at and its quirks make it seem more, say, human, maybe? Given that it is my first car, I am completely in love with it. Having said that, my Creta isn’t free of niggles. As mentioned earlier, the front passenger door rattle is something that I need to get rectified soon, but more importantly, it’s the seats that need attention, something I hope to address within the next month. That’s that as far as my initial thoughts on the Creta are concerned. I am very pleased with the purchase and I hope that I am able to extract the same sort of loyal, reliable and effortless driving pleasure that my Honda provided me with over the last decade! I look forward to interacting with fellow BHPians (owners & non-owners) on this thread, and hope to learn and experience this car to its fullest with your guidance, advice and support. My special thanks to BNM and The Goan for their highly informative posts and insights. I must say my experiences with the car have been more or less the same as theirs.

On a side note – this is quite an emotional post for me, for a variety of reasons. I have spent the better part of the last five years reading through this forum and reading the experiences of members. From the expert reviews, the insightful scoops, the magical travelogues right down to the nifty and massively helpful tips, I have learnt a lot about the automotive world. This forum has enabled me to have interesting conversations about anything automotive with a lot of people and I attribute most of my knowledge to Team BHP. I had always aspired to one day post my own ownership review and I am eternally thankful and grateful to God that He gave me this opportunity so early in life!

Cheers! :):thumbs up

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Let me be the first one Anukrit to congratulate on our new car clap:
I am even more happier seeing your post as I am busy finalising between Creta Diesel Automatic and XUV W6 Automatic and many of the draw backs of the car which you explained are what I felt as well.
To begin with, interior quality and fit finish really needs a re-look by Hyundai. In addition, lack of basic MID features, cooling glove box, no electronic IRVM, horrible driving seats etc. are not something which one would expect after paying 1.8 million which is no less by any standard.
This is precisely something which is taking me a feet ahead and 2 feet back while finalising this car as I drive Verna now and apart from the driver seat and rattling there is no problem that I face.
I am also in same shoe as wife needs Sedan but Bangalore roads are no more suitable for sedans :Frustrati

On the other hand XUV provides many features missing in Creta but refinement, fit & finish and most importantly the size is a worry in city conditions.

So its like deciding between buying a over priced, under specified Creta OR properly priced, nag prone full blown SUV..

Please keep sharing more and more feedback as you spend more time with the car and also the source of the lumbar support

Congrats Anukrit. I can relate to your joy and excitement. I myself had gone through the same feeling last year and trust me it grows with time. :) Few questions from my end:

1. Did you get any GST benefits?
2. Did you consider waiting for Creta facelift?
3. What other cars were you considering apart from Honda City?

Congratulations Anukrit clap: we got the same car in April 2017 (but in black) as our first car and I agree with most of your observations. It's a great car, but not without its shortcomings.

As you rightly said, the door rattle is a specific issue, I don't get any rattle except the parcel tray which needs a tiny fix. You pushed yours to 120kmph but mine is at 3800 and I'm still following the engine run-in.

You also mentioned that you find the HU responsive but I struggle with it, especially on android auto. Did you remove the protective film from the screen? My experience could be contrary because I'm using the film until I find a suitable replacement. The iPad I've is roughly the same size so maybe it's tempered glass could do the job.

I have some questions on the accessories/ mods you've done:
1. Can you tell me more about the memory foam lumber support you got? Is the size perfect? I was planning to add both neck and lumber support but couldn't find a good online. Do you need the need for neck support too?
2. What are those well-lights? They look awesome. Are they connected to the 12V socket or hard wired? Theatre dimming available?

And while I write my own review, I just want to cross check if you're also facing the same issues that I do:
1. Do you find the gear level very hard, especially on a cold start, and especially while turning from D to R?
2. I do find the brakes a little spongy. Also, my brakes make a grinding sound when cold or wet, especially when held on an incline or in start-stop situation. Is the case same with you?

Congrats again, wishing you happy miles on your purchase! clap:

Hey congratulations on a wonderful CSUV. Loved the interior pictures. Hyundai always does a wonderful job of interior packaging & ergonomics especially with the electronic bits and gizmos.

I first got a bit confused reading "My First car" and then seeing you drove a City VTEC for quite a while. So its the first new car you got for yourself :).

A cool ride!
Just curious - did you evaluate any other bigger options like the XUV AT?
Wish you & the family unlimited safe & happy miles with the CRETA!

Congrats on your new car! The Creta is a revelation to me and given the finances, I'd have gone for one. Having recently bought an i20, my thoughts resonate with yours expressed here. The NVH level of Hyundai diesels are a class apart. I'm smitten by it on the i20. The dashboard illumination can be changed by a press type switch on the right side in the i20. Don't you have one of them switches on yours? Your Creta with the DRLs look menacing. Enjoy your ride!

Congratulations Anukritbhargava. Wishing you miles of smiles with your Creta.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anukritbhargava (Post 4224731)
Despite my many attempts, I did not manage to get any discounts, which was a bummer!

Have you bargained for GST discounts?

Quote:

Congratulations Anukritbhargava. Wishing you miles of smiles with your Creta.
Thanks vsun!

Quote:

Have you bargained for GST discounts?
I tried, but most of the dealers I spoke to weren't offering GST discounts at that point of time.

Quote:

Congrats on your new car!
Thanks swiftdiesel!

Quote:

Don't you have one of them switches on yours?
Unfortunately, the car doesnt have the illumination control switch.

Quote:

So its the first new car you got for yourself .
Thanks Reinhard. Yes, my apologies - this is the first car I bought for myself!

Quote:

did you evaluate any other bigger options like the XUV AT?
Wish you & the family unlimited safe & happy miles with the CRETA!
Yes, I did evaluate the XUV AT, amongst others. I found it just a little outside my budget, and the fit and finish and quality of materials, along with its huge size, kept me away. Thanks once again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver (Post 4226218)
Congratulations Anukrit clap: we got the same car in April 2017 (but in black) as our first car and I agree with most of your observations. It's a great car, but not without its shortcomings.

Thank you for your lovely wishes and your post, Nonstop-driver! Yes, I agree this is a vehicle specific rattle. I believe I have identified the source of the rattle - it seems to be the front passenger window. I took it to the service center @ Kharadi today and the SA got a technician to look at it and open it. However, right before opening it, the technician very kindly told me not to go ahead and open it. His logic (which I somewhat agree with) was that the fitting of the door panel (once opened) might not be as good as the factory fit, and if the rattle isn't too intrusive, he recommended that it shouldn't be opened. I agreed. A welcome twist, though. I got some custom rolling curtains installed today and somehow the rattle seems to have ceased! clap:

From what I've been reading about modern diesel engines, and also from what the manufacturer specifies, a run-in of no more than 600 miles (1000 kms) is required. However, I must say that apart from a brief stretch (on a completely empty section, I must add) @ 120kmph, I have by and large kept it within 2000 RPM/80kmph. I am glad you're giving your engine a good running in - it will surely help with the longevity and performance, I am sure.

Yes, I did remove the protective film from the HU screen and I would recommend you do the same. The addition of a tempered glass or any film would only hinder operation and given that the screen is matte, I think it is safe to say that the screen will not scratch easily.

I purchased the memory foam pillow from HomeFurniture in the Phoenix Market City Mall in Pune. It's a good fit and is extremely comfortable. I would suggest you pick up one with a cloth cover or no cover since memory foams are heat absorbent and the warmth created by an additional cover might make long journeys uncomfortable. I am driving to Mumbai today and this will be my first long(ish) drive with the pillow in use so I will update you on the same. I don't find the need for neck support as of now. However, I am pretty sure a standard travel neck pillow will be quite relaxing! The footwell lights are awesome, I agree. They are a dealer fitment and cost INR 5,000. Hardwired and yes, theatre dimming!

Yes, I face the gear lever stiffness issue too. I remember BNM complaining about the same too - this seems to be a universal issue. However, I find it hard from P to R only. The grinding sound in the wet is normal and is fairly standard across automatic cars, I believe. For instance, I have faced the same issue while driving my aunt's Fortuner AT and also a friend's Vento DSG.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drive_angry (Post 4226152)
Few questions from my end:
1. Did you get any GST benefits?
2. Did you consider waiting for Creta facelift?
3. What other cars were you considering apart from Honda City?

Thanks drive_angry! No, I didn't manage to get any GST benefits, though I believe customers are getting them now. Let's see if I can convince the dealer he gave me a bad deal and get him throw in some freebies! No, I did not consider waiting for the facelifted Creta. I know that it has already arrived in South America - the promos are out. My need was urgent and apart from the addition of cruise control, the cosmetic changes didn't really matter much to me. As mentioned, I considered the new Honda City ZX, the Vento, The Rapid. I also looked at the Duster, the Terrano and the XUV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooltronics (Post 4226129)
Please keep sharing more and more feedback as you spend more time with the car and also the source of the lumbar support

Hi Cooltronics and thanks for your kind words! In a nutshell, I would recommend that you go for the Creta without a doubt. Although if possible, wait for the facelift and decide. But then again, with the Jeep Compass out and if you're willing to stretch your budget (since you're also considering the XUV AT), you have no dearth of options, which can sometimes get really confusing. Although there is no better compact SUV other than the Creta at this price, in my opinion. Sure, the Duster brigade is probably going to hate me for saying this, but the spartan interior of the Duster along with its utilitarian feel is not appealing to some, including myself. The XUV, while a brilliant car, falls short in two crucial departments - build quality and its unwieldy nature in an urban setting. The niggles mentioned in my post are annoying, no doubt, especially when its such a large amount of money being invested, but they aren't deal breakers for sure, and the car as a complete package is going to keep you a happy driver!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anukritbhargava (Post 4226240)
Yes, I did evaluate the XUV AT, amongst others. I found it just a little outside my budget, and the fit and finish and quality of materials, along with its huge size, kept me away. Thanks once again!

Well nobody on this side of 20 Lakhs can come close to Hyundai in this aspect once Hyundai decides to make a car in any segment :D. Happy motoring. Keep the updates coming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4226258)
Well nobody on this side of 20 Lakhs can come close to Hyundai in this aspect once Hyundai decides to make a car in any segment :D. Happy motoring. Keep the updates coming.

agree:! PS - I love your signature (can't help glancing back at my ride every time I park!)lol: I will keep updating this thread. Got some rolling curtains installed today. Pictures to follow!

Congragulations. Please update the mileage given in City and Highway conditions which would be very much helpful for shortlisting my next vehicle. Also need your feedback on Braking distance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anukritbhargava (Post 4224731)
I am not happy with the seats of the Creta at all and getting properly contoured seats is going to be my first major upgrade. Though they look deceptively comfortable, lumbar support is shocking and I have resorted to purchasing a special lumbar support memory foam pillow to alleviate constant back pain. Under thigh support isn’t great either. Hyundai messed up quite badly as far as the seating in the car is concerned. It’s not all gloomy though – the driver’s seat offers more than sufficient room for maneuvering both vertically and horizontally, so finding a good driving position is not difficult.

I have seen everyone complaining about the uncomfortable driver's seat but I have a totally 'different' experience. I find the seat comfortable for some reason.

For me Verna, Amaze never caused backache after long drive whereas Swift, Honda City (3rd Gen), Innova have always given me backaches! Looks like I must be doing something weird / different ;)

@Nonstop-driver
Apologies for intruding but regarding the gear lever being very hard, over a period of 1800 kms, the gear lever has become smoother for me than before. May be you should get yours checked.

The brake issues mentioned by you apply to me as well. In fact, I received a call from Hyundai yesterday and they asked me only 3 questions - Braking, gear shift and fuel economy. Looks like they have received lot of complaints about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay81 (Post 4226550)
@Nonstop-driver
Apologies for intruding but regarding the gear lever being very hard, over a period of 1800 kms, the gear lever has become smoother for me than before. May be you should get yours checked.

The brake issues mentioned by you apply to me as well. In fact, I received a call from Hyundai yesterday and they asked me only 3 questions - Braking, gear shift and fuel economy. Looks like they have received lot of complaints about it.

There is no intrusion buddy :)

Mine is about 4000 now and as you said, it is smoother but still hard enough to make me stop and be careful. But I feel this will get better overtime and don't need an SA's attention for now.

Braking noise is pretty irritating, to be honest. Yes, these 3 are possibly my biggest complaints too (other than lack of features at this price point) so I hope they do something about it in the facelift.

Hi, Congratulations on buying this lovely new car. The black top just enhances the look of the vehicle. Do give your views of how it handle on the highways & the mileage you get in both city & highways.
No vehicle is niggle free & I hope your problems are all rectified when the car goes in for the service.

Lastly enjoy your new buy for many more miles to come & keep updating the thread regularly.