Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2017, 09:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nayla: Our Candy White VW Polo GT TSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Agree, I had a lovely Flash Red Polo TDI with the 185 profile tyres. It used to regularly lull me into false security with its relatively superb chassis and European feel. BUT, if you need to brake hard then God help you. The brakes and my 185s were wholly inadequate for even the TDI. I can imagine the TSI even with the fatter tyres.

In fact I suspect the Polo is involved in a higher than normal ratio of highway accidents (than other hatches) only because of this false sense of security.
Stock tyres aren't that great. I upgraded to Conti mc5 rather soon. Makes a huge difference to handling braking and ride.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 10:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Which year model was this, having driven the older polos i can vouch that the braking and the steering has improved in leaps and bounds over the polos from 2010.

In fact to mention an experience com my recent trip to Nashik, I was travelling at a speed of not more than 120kmph, and an 18 wheeler which had stopped at a junction suddenly decided to move forward forcing me to brake. I didn't slam on the brakes, but gradually depressed the pedal, and the car stopped a feet away from the 18wheeler. Due to the gradual braking the ABS didn't kick in either and the car stopped fuss free.
2012 April I think. Wasn't impressed. Mind you, my daily drive was a Cruze (and now a Octavia), so I maybe biased
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 08:03   #18
BHPian

Suspension paranoia

Guys, on a drive a while back, I misjudged the depth of a sunk in metal manhole cover and drove thru it in S mode, the jerk was shattering. No side wall bulges or a puncture till now. ( been only 15 minutes) but just concerned that I must have damaged the suspension in some way!! Any inputs?

PS- Got ceramic coating done on the car. Will follow up with details and pics!
Old 19th July 2017, 14:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suspension paranoia

Quote:
Guys, on a drive a while back, I misjudged the depth of a sunk in metal manhole cover and drove thru it in S mode, the jerk was shattering. No side wall bulges or a puncture till now. ( been only 15 minutes) but just concerned that I must have damaged the suspension in some way!! Any inputs?

PS- Got ceramic coating done on the car. Will follow up with details and pics!
Typical for the season... Just park in a dry place for a while and see if you see any leaks anywhere from the suspension (shock absorber). Also see if you see anything weirdly bent from the main suspension components.
If none of the above AND you feel no difference in the drive than before after driving for a few kms (10 should be more than enough to be certain) - then its all fine. The sound this kind of incident makes is generally scary but the damage is surprisingly less. I think the tires will be OK too. Fingers crossed for you!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 15:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Typical for the season... Just park in a dry place for a while and see if you see any leaks anywhere from the suspension (shock absorber). Also see if you see anything weirdly bent from the main suspension components.
If none of the above AND you feel no difference in the drive than before after driving for a few kms (10 should be more than enough to be certain) - then its all fine. The sound this kind of incident makes is generally scary but the damage is surprisingly less. I think the tires will be OK too. Fingers crossed for you!
Hey.

Thanks for the reply, Didnt see any leaks when the car was parked, No difference in drive , and no bulges on side walls too. Haven't checked the " bent part" as it has been raining here now. The crunching sound that came was terrifying, though it seems 80% is fine now.

How would it feel to drive if the shock abs has leaked and I haven't realised??

PS: Tried sports mode for the first time today as the car is closing in on around 1200 kms now and the official run in period is 1500 kms. The S mode did not disappoint at all!!

Last edited by MihirC : 19th July 2017 at 15:05.
Old 19th July 2017, 15:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey.

Thanks for the reply, Didnt see any leaks when the car was parked, No difference in drive , and no bulges on side walls too. Haven't checked the " bent part" as it has been raining here now. The crunching sound that came was terrifying, though it seems 80% is fine now.

How would it feel to drive if the shock abs has leaked and I haven't realised??
You'd feel difference in steering performance if front suspension components were out of place. So more or less seems that has not happened.

Other than that if there is issue with shockers - you'd hear squeaking or thunk sounds when going over normal undulations / potholes / speed breakers. There will be more than usual noise as well as rough & bumpy ride on the same roads.

Quote:
PS: Tried sports mode for the first time today as the car is closing in on around 1200 kms now and the official run in period is 1500 kms. The S mode did not disappoint at all!!
Old 19th July 2017, 15:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
You'd feel difference in steering performance if front suspension components were out of place. So more or less seems that has not happened.

Other than that if there is issue with shockers - you'd hear squeaking or thunk sounds when going over normal undulations / potholes / speed breakers. There will be more than usual noise as well as rough & bumpy ride on the same roads.

Yeah, thank god for that, and really appreciate your prompt reply mate. Took my first breath since today morning 7:45 am

None of the above symptoms

You must try the GT in S mode whenever you can, or message me when you come down to Mumbai!!
MihirC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 15:50   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You must try the GT in S mode whenever you can, or message me when you come down to Mumbai!!
That's a tempting invitation! I have always wanted to drive the Polo GT TSI. Considering I frequently visit Mumbai, you should now expect a PM from me.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 18:37   #24
BHPian

Nice writeup. Could you share where you got your seat covers and the SP film done from?

Also, why has it cost you 12 odd lacs? I got my GT in Jan this year and it was around 10.3 iirc.
Old 30th July 2017, 11:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Nice writeup. Could you share where you got your seat covers and the SP film done from?

Also, why has it cost you 12 odd lacs? I got my GT in Jan this year and it was around 10.3 iirc.
Hi Vandit, thanks for the appreciation. Seat covers and sun film was done at my regular accesories guy at shivaji park, dadar. If you need, will PM you the details.

The cost went up by 40 k in April with addition of new alloys , bigger tyres and a couple of other features. The OTR for me was 11.08 Lakhs, On top of that I got the car registered on my company name that added to a bit more than a lakh, hence the 12 odd lakhs.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st July 2017 at 07:49. Reason: Deleted reference of social media
Old 30th July 2017, 12:03   #26
BHPian

1 month and 1600 kms update

Hey Guys,

Its been exactly a month since we got Nayla ( 30th June 11:30 AM). She has done around 1600 kms as of now. Done a bit of out of town trips to Nashik, Pune, Alibag etc , fair bit of city driving. The break in period is officially over at 1500 kms. Nayla doesn't cease to amaze me with her manners no matter what the driving conditions.

The good stuff

1) Manners ,manners and manners ! doesn't let you down at all.

2) No dearth of features, BT streaming is one of the most used and loved features.

3) The understated clean looks grow on you.

4) Convenience of electric folding mirrors.

5) Rain sensing wipers are extremely useful on highway monsoon drives.

6) Aircon in GT is better than the one on punto

7) The premium feel is unparalleled compared to the competitors. Punto feels compromised in fit and finish ( the seat height mechanism in punto , had me raise the height every time i got in the seat as it used to get lowered by itself over a period of time. No such issues here)

8) The gear box and D and S mode

The not so good stuff

1) The brakes though sufficient and capable are not confidence inspiring

2) Back seat is compromised on space for anyone above 5'5"

3) The bluetooth connectivity between phone and car, happens automatically but gets jittery and doesn't connect once in a while. Still have not got the car to import my entire contact list

4) Poor headlamps, I had to check if they were on or not while on highway. Poor light and poor throw.

5) ORVM's are grossly inadequate, what the gear box and engine make up for while overtaking, undersized ORVM's lose out on, and you tend to have a quick turn of the head to see if theres any car immediately behind you.

6) There a microsecond lag between you pushing the pedal to the metal and the car zooming like a rocket from stand still.

RHS wiper fluid dispenser wasn't working. Called up the Service personnel, he cam to my residence, did the needful ( making 2 holes ) and left. Not bad for all the things you hear about VW service. Hope such service continues thru the ownership.

At the moment the only upgrade im looking out for is the odo reading

Really impressed with the ceramic coating done on the car. Will write a post soon with lots of pictures shortly.
Old 30th July 2017, 16:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vandit, thanks for the appreciation. Seat covers and sun film was done at my regular accesories guy at shivaji park, dadar. If you need, will PM you the details.

The cost went up by 40 k in April with addition of new alloys , bigger tyres and a couple of other features. The OTR for me was 11.08 Lakhs, On top of that I got the car registered on my company name that added to a bit more than a lakh, hence the 12 odd lakhs.
Please do PM me, I am not too far from Dadar. Could do with a reference. I will go and check out options with him.

10.3 to 11.08 OTR is a bit! to be honest I don't think I would have gone for it had it been that much when i picked it up in Jan having booked in Dec.

The more costly it gets the more you start to consider the S-Cross 1.6 in some ways.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st July 2017 at 07:50. Reason: Deleted reference of social media group
Old 30th July 2017, 20:09   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Please do PM me, I am not too far from Dadar. Could do with a reference. I will go and check out options with him.

10.3 to 11.08 OTR is a bit! to be honest I don't think I would have gone for it had it been that much when i picked it up in Jan having booked in Dec.

The more costly it gets the more you start to consider the S-Cross 1.6 in some ways.
Have pm'ed the details.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st July 2017 at 07:51. Reason: Deleted reference of social media group
MihirC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 21:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your car. It still is the de facto choice for the enthusiast's hatchback while still being an extremely sensible choice.

Quote:
So it all boiled down to the Polo GT TSi. I remember test driving the polo in 2010 and coming back disappointed with the spongy brakes and the dead steering.
Quote:
And those guys at VW have done something to the brakes + steering... the steering was so well weighted and the feedback acceptable as well. The brakes again were long shot from a Fiat but then they were nowhere what you can call spongy the way they were on the old 3 cylinder petrols or even on the 1.6 ltr one.
Quote:
The steering is in no league of my Punto, but then again, vast improvement over the 2010 set of polos. I mean those steerings were neither well weighted, nor had any feed back and were way too light for my liking. This steering almost feels like an electromechanical unit. Someone please throw light on this.
I believe VW made updates to the steering, suspension and brakes with the 2014 facelift. For the regular engines, these brakes are really all you need but for the TSI, an upgrade to rear discs may still be worth it. Autocar India had a test against the Punto where they talked about the upgraded steering and brakes

Quote:
The suspension setup of the new Polo has been tweaked to make it more suited for our roads and the steering wheel has been made a bit heavier too...The good news is that the Polo no longer suffers from poor braking performance; they bite fairly well.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 30th July 2017 at 21:17.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 13:27   #30
BHPian

To remap or not to remap

Guys,

I have been bitten by the remap bug for my GT, have a few queries though,

Remap is done for multiple reasons,

1) improving low end, mid or top end torque

2) improving fuel economy

3) improving the bhp and torque numbers

4) improving 0-100 timing

So on and so forth, now the torque kicks in as low as 1100-1200 rpm, the gear shifts are lightning fast, not too concerned with the FE ( it giving me an acceptable 6- 11 kmpl in city, based on traffic and around 16-17 kmpl on highway). What can the GT be tuned for specifically if it already takes care of most of the things for which remap is usually done.

The power output will be 135 bhp and 225NM of torque post remap.

Anyone has an idea what would the tentative 0-100 timings will be??

Any specific issues or reasons for which GT owners remap their cars? Or is it just for more power and torque?

Most Viewed