Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2017, 11:58   #61
BANNED

Re: My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic

All modern large capacity pickup/suv type diesel engines are low stress but unrefined units. Isuzu 4JJ1 is a very good engine, no doubt.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd November 2017 at 18:58. Reason: 180 and 190 is a no no. Thanks.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 14:24   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was behind a BMW 520d and he was doing good speeds and I was comfortably going behind him on my MU7 automatic. The engine was not stressed and still had another 40% juice left on it.
I will suggest you try braking or even change lane at higher speeds before you start chasing the European Sedans. These truck-based SUV's are not meant to be driven at these speeds especially on our highways where we drive so close and a slight error in judgment can be fatal. To me, Braking is more Important than outright acceleration.

Quote:
the engine was not stressed and still had another 40% juice left on it.
we are in the 21st century, I don't think any 4 cylinders 2000 cc engine will be stretched doing normal duties, maybe it's not attached to a worthy gearbox/ transmission due to which you may find engine sounding harsh at higher RPM's so more than the engine, number of gears is the key. As Sankar has mentioned for Innova. The 520-D that you were trying to follow would have an 8-speed transmission so it will be running at much lower RPM's then Isuzu.
Turbanator is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 00:11   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
I would agree with you. during this Diwali drive, I was behind a BMW 520d and he was doing good speeds and I was comfortably going behind him on my MU7 automatic. The engine was not stressed and still had another 40% juice left on it.
You got to be joking mate. Comparing the handling of a 520d to the MU7. Try it with someone who knows how to drive a beemer.

Comparing a antiquidated 4-Speed automatic with an 8-Speed ZF Transmission. When you are free google "Stockholm Syndrome"

Last edited by 4x4addict : 29th October 2017 at 00:14.
4x4addict is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 20:23   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You got to be joking mate. Comparing the handling of a 520d to the MU7. Try it with someone who knows how to drive a beemer.

Comparing a antiquidated 4-Speed automatic with an 8-Speed ZF Transmission. When you are free google "Stockholm Syndrome"
Actually I could also keep up with a 530d easily on the NH1 in my Scorp 2.2. I was tailing him hoping he was using his night vision system or something.

Oh, it was terribly foggy that day, with visibility less than 30-40m.

Ambient conditions do play a role in one's speed init?
Old 29th October 2017, 20:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

Tailing a BMW is not a big deal. Not many drive over 160 kph and unless you are used to such speeds, I'd advice you to refrain.
Old 29th October 2017, 22:07   #66
BANNED

Like Turbanator said keeping up is not a big deal but stopping is. If the BMW driver drops the anchor for any emergency the SUV will be in trouble and probably the BMW too thanks to the SUV behind him.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 10:52   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Like Turbanator said keeping up is not a big deal but stopping is. If the BMW driver drops the anchor for any emergency the SUV will be in trouble and probably the BMW too thanks to the SUV behind him.
Absolutely, you might have the engines, but BMW or any German for that matter, has better dynamics and Brakes. Even the newer commercial vehicles for that matter. I have seen cars tailing them like crazy not realising even these new age commercial vehicles (like Benz/Scania/Volvo) can probably stop on a coin.

Anything over 100 is disastrous on our roads. Just the other day, I was doing the opposite stretch, Chandigarh Delhi and witnessed at least 5-8 rear endings. It was a long weekend and the roads were more crowded than usual, and thanks to that, people were behaving just plain suicidal!
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 12:02   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Absolutely, you might have the engines, but BMW or any German for that matter, has better dynamics and Brakes. Even the newer commercial vehicles for that matter. I have seen cars tailing them like crazy not realising even these new age commercial vehicles (like Benz/Scania/Volvo) can probably stop on a coin.

Anything over 100 is disastrous on our roads. Just the other day, I was doing the opposite stretch, Chandigarh Delhi and witnessed at least 5-8 rear endings. It was a long weekend and the roads were more crowded than usual, and thanks to that, people were behaving just plain suicidal!
Respecting all the posts regarding the BMW capabilities , handling braking and everything else I accept the same. My only point was the capability of the Isuzu engine and very clearly know the dangers of driving on those speeds as I very well own a CLA200 petrol sport and I very much know the behaviour differences between the two cars viz Isuzu and CLA200.

One has to know what he is doing very well if he goes on speeds above 100 on Indian roads.I do not support driving at very high speeds and I am responsible enough on the road for my fellow roadies.

Quote:

Trust me, the MU7 automatic goes at around 2K rpm @ 100kmph. As I said I do own a petrol CLA200 and I know what I am doing. The CLA200 petrol does 100 @ 1300 rpm. So I do really know how to drive german cars too. I also had a logan GLS petrol which did 100KMPH@3000RPM

Last edited by theMAG : 1st November 2017 at 23:36. Reason: Back-back posts merged.
MuzzledMoose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 17:40   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Trust me, the MU7 automatic goes at around 2K rpm @ 100kmph. As I said I do own a petrol CLA200 and I know what I am doing. The CLA200 petrol does 100 @ 1300 rpm. So I do really know how to drive german cars too. I also had a logan GLS petrol which did 100KMPH@3000RPM
You were talking about keeping up with a 530d on an old school tall body on frame SUV with a 4-Speed automatic and leaf springs at the rear. My reply was to that and not to rpm ranges. I am aware of rpm of the old school diesel engines as they are built for bottom and mid range and not top end.

Trust me, with a drive who knows how to handle a 530d you cannot hold a candle to it with an MU7, so kindly refrain from trying, it is not safe.

Last edited by SDP : 2nd November 2017 at 18:51. Reason: fixing broken quote tag
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:34   #70
BHPian

Quote:
You were talking about keeping up with a 530d on an old school tall body on frame SUV with a 4-Speed automatic and leaf springs at the rear. My reply was to that and not to rpm ranges. I am aware of rpm of the old school diesel engines as they are built for bottom and mid range and not top end.

Trust me, with a drive who knows how to handle a 530d you cannot hold a candle to it with an MU7, so kindly refrain from trying, it is not safe.
It was a 520D and not 530D. On a straight road someone can do it easy. It was all about an engine capable of keeping up with another one going faster in front of it. The road was from Madurai to Chennai. I was keeping about 200 metre behind it knowing what I am driving.
Stockholm syndrome doesn't apply here for the record as it is associated with terrorism rather than driving. Could you please explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
All modern large capacity pickup/suv type diesel engines are low stress but unrefined units. Isuzu 4JJ1 is a very good engine, no doubt. The 2.8 in Crysta automatic is at 3000 when doing 190 thanks to the 6th gear. 5th cog takes it to 180 at around 3500.
Crysta has a fantastic engine. Does the new fortuner also have the same engine on a higher tune?

On a general note I understand that the German Luxury cars have better output at the same cubic capacity leading to faster acceleration. German Cars take safety as paramount and have 4 disc brakes as standard everywhere. I have driven M series with huge disc brakes and have understood well why they are needed at that size. What I like about the Isuzu engine is that it can lug around the city at 1000 rpm. It doesn't roll back on most inclines as the torque at such low rpm is sufficient to keep it going forward. There is no hill hold assist on the Isuzu and it will very much roll back in steep inclines. Can anyone give pointers to passenger cars that can do 40kmph@1000rpm which has a weight of about 2 tons?

Last edited by SDP : 3rd November 2017 at 12:55. Reason: Merging + toning down a bit
MuzzledMoose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 15:46   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Crysta has a fantastic engine. Does the new fortuner also have the same engine on a higher tune?
Yes the same engine only the tune is different.
Old 3rd November 2017, 17:48   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a general note I understand that the German Luxury cars have better output at the same cubic capacity leading to faster acceleration. German Cars take safety as paramount and have 4 disc brakes as standard everywhere. I have driven M series with huge disc brakes and have understood well why they are needed at that size. What I like about the Isuzu engine is that it can lug around the city at 1000 rpm. It doesn't roll back on most inclines as the torque at such low rpm is sufficient to keep it going forward. There is no hill hold assist on the Isuzu and it will very much roll back in steep inclines. Can anyone give pointers to passenger cars that can do 40kmph@1000rpm which has a weight of about 2 tons?
Agree on a top level about german cars, but they are way too complicated with multiple inputs from various ECUs / TCU / Wheel sensors etc that servicing them leaves a lot to be desired in general

The Isuzu is a simplistic design old school and I was very happy doing silly speeds on the vehicle. Being simple in design will be easy to use, simpler to maintain and service and thats why I seem to love it
Old 5th November 2017, 21:25   #73
BHPian

It has been 4months since i got MU X, but was not able to take out enough time to go on a drive. Had been on a 2700kms drive on MU X to central india forests.

Drive route

Bhimavarm-vijayawada-hyderabad-adilabad-nagpur-pench-seoni-chindwara-betul-Bhori tiger reserve(churna forest rest house).

Bori tiger reserve-betul-nagpur-adilabad-hyderabad-vijayawada-bhimavaram.
Driven down directly from bhimavaram to pench with a break of 90mins at hyderabad

Giving a power wash before the drive
Attachment 1692853
Attached Thumbnails
My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_e6136.jpg  

My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_e6134.jpg  

Last edited by drbones : 5th November 2017 at 21:26.
drbones is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 18:32   #74
BHPian

Grass lands of central india are amazing
My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-dscn2813.jpg

My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-dscn2800.jpg

My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_3568.jpg

Morning tea and breakfast is served the colonial way
My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_3558.jpg

My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_3593.jpg
drbones is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 22:25   #75
BHPian

My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_e6090.jpg

MU X is a very capable offroader, no doubts on that. Top class comfort and ride quality is a big advantage in this suv.
My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_3584.jpg

Shift on fly with 4L is a boon. You can move the suv in 2nd gear from stand still, which is very helpful in loose sand.
My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_3607.jpg

My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_3570.jpg

My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_3568.jpg

My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_3518-1.jpg

This british era steam powered road roller caught my attention at churna forest rest house. Its massive and majestic, very impressive machine
My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_3553.jpg

Massive boot space can swallow everything you throw at it. Flat folding rear seats is a good feature.
My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_e6072.jpg

Isuzu has given me a perfect overland expedition vehicle(what i always wanted).
My Isuzu MU-X 4x4 Automatic-img_6218.jpg
drbones is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed