Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2017, 12:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
It's been updated from what I can gather from the service records. Any way to "undo" this? Just a matter of reverting to the original map right? From what I'm told that was a more "fun" map!
You can revert to the original map, but that will have to be done from outside as I doubt Skoda will do it for you.
Instead, why not look at getting a remap given your engine is still quite young.

I've had a remap since 17Kkm and am now at 70Kkm. I have faced no issue, till the update after which I am facing small issues which I think is primarily due to the update. More info on the dedicated thread.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th July 2017 at 12:58. Reason: Revert back > revert.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 15:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
You can revert to the original map, but that will have to be done from outside as I doubt Skoda will do it for you.
Instead, why not look at getting a remap given your engine is still quite young.

I've had a remap since 17Kkm and am now at 70Kkm. I have faced no issue, till the update after which I am facing small issues which I think is primarily due to the update. More info on the dedicated thread.
How much of a difference is there between the original map and the revised one? I've gone through your thread in detail - was one of the reference points for me prior to buying the car! Won't do an aggressive remap now. Current map is fine for my use, but will see if we can revert to factory map (assuming there is a perceptible difference between the two).
Old 18th July 2017, 15:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much of a difference is there between the original map and the revised one?
I was running a remap before the update kicked in, so the noticeable difference was significantly more.
I felt the car starting to go out of breath around 150kmph (160 originally, 180 remapped), the FE was down by 1.5kmpl apprx., and the engine was gruff (it felt as though they didn't do an oil change).

Compared to stock, the engine noise is marginally increased, and performance has taken a marginal hit - the biggest issue though is the decrease in FE & the DPF regen (as it takes place around 950rpm, the engine NVH is louder and can be felt in the cabin) - on every single drive that involves a little bit of idling (even after spirited long runs, etc.)

Heck - I am not even happy with the re-remap post this update as the car is marginally faster but not a patch on what it was before. Several friends and BHPians (including stock Laura owners) have driven the car and have come away impressed with the original remap, but doubt they will feel the same way if they drive it today.
Old 18th July 2017, 16:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wishlist

Congrats on your ride ! Looks very elegant.

Quote:
Wishlist:
Bluetooth is sorely missed.

Update on Bluetooth:
Picked up the 9W7 kit from Eurozone Tuning ...
I was going to suggest to you the same. Since you are willing to do some dirty work ( DIY ), if you can identify the exact part numbers of the stuff that you need, you can order almost anything WAG related from many European countries (at a fraction of the costs here). A friend of mine and I worked on his 2010 Jetta. We ordered many parts from Poland and installed them DIY. Only downside is the long shipping time.
Old 18th July 2017, 16:41   #20
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations razor4077! Heard from you after a really long time. The car looks fantastic in this shade and even better with the subtle upgrades. Wish you a happy journey with this one and hope your "bravery" is not put to test
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 17:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I was running a remap before the update kicked in, so the noticeable difference was significantly more.
I felt the car starting to go out of breath around 150kmph (160 originally, 180 remapped), the FE was down by 1.5kmpl apprx., and the engine was gruff (it felt as though they didn't do an oil change).

Compared to stock, the engine noise is marginally increased, and performance has taken a marginal hit - the biggest issue though is the decrease in FE & the DPF regen (as it takes place around 950rpm, the engine NVH is louder and can be felt in the cabin) - on every single drive that involves a little bit of idling (even after spirited long runs, etc.)

Heck - I am not even happy with the re-remap post this update as the car is marginally faster but not a patch on what it was before. Several friends and BHPians (including stock Laura owners) have driven the car and have come away impressed with the original remap, but doubt they will feel the same way if they drive it today.
Ok, so in summary, with this new map that Skoda has programmed:
- performance is down
- NVH levels have increased
- FE is lower by almost 1.5 kpl

Who do you think can revert to stock map? And can that have any negative impact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I was going to suggest to you the same. Since you are willing to do some dirty work ( DIY ), if you can identify the exact part numbers of the stuff that you need, you can order almost anything WAG related from many European countries (at a fraction of the costs here). A friend of mine and I worked on his 2010 Jetta. We ordered many parts from Poland and installed them DIY. Only downside is the long shipping time.
Nowadays parts are available on Aliexpress as well. For example, the 9W2 BT kit (new) is available on Aliexpress for around 7k INR. Which is very reasonable. Unfortunately, none of the sellers had the 9W7, which I finally found on the US site. Shipping can be time consuming, yes. But so far most of the parts I've ordered have reached within 2 weeks, which is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Congratulations razor4077! Heard from you after a really long time. The car looks fantastic in this shade and even better with the subtle upgrades. Wish you a happy journey with this one and hope your "bravery" is not put to test
Thanks Sumitro! Been a long time, yes. Have been following your 4x4 adventures on FB! Hope all well. Thanks for the wishes - I too hope that it's a trouble free and fun ownership!
razor4077 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 17:12   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Who do you think can revert to stock map? And can that have any negative impact?
Only a tuner can - in which case it is better to revert to original and get a remap straight away.

However, if you're satisfied with the performance and there are no issues being thrown up (DPF regen at 950rpm being the most common - that is the car is idling at 950rpm and not 800-850 as usual) - may as well stick to this map and get the remap once you've spent time with the vehicle.
Old 19th July 2017, 11:02   #23
BHPian

Hello, Congratulations on your new acquisition. The car looks lovely with fantastic maroon shade. Well maintained pre-owned Lauras are hard to come by and you are lucky in finding one.
I too own a 2012 Laura L&K in white. I have kept the car bone stock with the exception being VRS alloys. I am sorely missing the bluetooth though. Can you throw some more light on the differnce between 9W2 BT kit and 9W7 BT kit? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-new-image.jpg  

CarMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 11:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMaster View Post
Hello, Congratulations on your new acquisition. The car looks lovely with fantastic maroon shade. Well maintained pre-owned Lauras are hard to come by and you are lucky in finding one.
I too own a 2012 Laura L&K in white. I have kept the car bone stock with the exception being VRS alloys. I am sorely missing the bluetooth though. Can you throw some more light on the differnce between 9W2 BT kit and 9W7 BT kit? Thanks
Thanks, and your L&K looks brilliant, especially with those alloys. Where did you get them from? Are they 16 inchers (VRS alloys were 16" I think)? I've been looking for just such a set!

Both the 9W2 and 9W7 will pair your phone and allow you to make/receive calls, but the difference is the 9W2 won't enable displaying of your phone book, call list etc. on your head unit or maxidot cluster. Whereas the 9W7 does enable these features. Since the L&K is blessed with the maxidot cluster and I wanted to have the option of viewing calls logs and the contact list I figured I might as well pick up the 9W7.

Very informative thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ml#post3763222
Old 19th July 2017, 11:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, and your L&K looks brilliant, especially with those alloys. Where did you get them from? Are they 16 inchers (VRS alloys were 16" I think)? I've been looking for just such a set!

Both the 9W2 and 9W7 will pair your phone and allow you to make/receive calls, but the difference is the 9W2 won't enable displaying of your phone book, call list etc. on your head unit or maxidot cluster. Whereas the 9W7 does enable these features. Since the L&K is blessed with the maxidot cluster and I wanted to have the option of viewing calls logs and the contact list I figured I might as well pick up the 9W7.

Very informative thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ml#post3763222

Thanks. I got it from a friend who had a Laura VRS. He had upgraded to 17 inches alloys and hence sold it to me. Eventually, I sold my OEM alloys too.
I will keep looking for a 9W7 BT kit. Not finding any for the moment.
Old 19th July 2017, 19:25   #26
BHPian

Hi Razor4077,

Congratulations on your new ride. It's quite difficult to get a low mileage example. The Laura is an absolute blast to drive.

Quote:
Update on the AC:
A compressor change along with peripherals would be north of 50k. And this is after a (supposedly) 60% discount on compressor cost! What insane margins these guys have on their spare parts!!...
I drive a Superb 2.0 TDi (2011), which has clocked 62,000 Km. I am facing a similar issue with my car's air conditioning unit. Sometimes, it just feels like the blower is solely working with cold air kicking in much later. The compressor ECV was replaced under a recall with no difference in performance. I was told by the ASS that the compressor (including expansion valve, dryer) might need a replacement costing around 90K excluding any discounts. They have indicated a 30% discount on the compressor cost. However, I am trying to push them for a compressor replacement under goodwill warranty.

Quote:
Both the 9W2 and 9W7 will pair your phone and allow you to make/receive calls, but the difference is the 9W2 won't enable displaying of your phone book, call list etc. on your head unit or maxidot cluster....
I know I am late, you could have gone for the RCD 330 plus which has built in bluetooth. I have upgraded from the bolero, it is much better in terms of resolution, touch response and interface. My car has the 9W7 unit in place, so I lost out on the call list and contacts on the maxi dot display. However I rarely use the maxi dot display for accessing the call log and contacts as it is convenient to use the head unit for accessing these due to a much larger display. However, the maxi dot displays incoming calls, outgoing calls and the phone button on the MFSW works.

As the car is 5 years old, I would recommend you to have a look at upper portion of the front struts in the engine bay. Due to the absence of a protective cover over the strut (assuming the same with the Laura), it is exposed to water during rains leading to corrosion of the upper portion. My car is due for a strut bearing replacement as steering the vehicle makes a grinding noise. However, they were't able to dismantle the strut due to the strut nut getting corroded. Now the only way out is forcibly opening the strut to replace the bearings, making the strut useless.
csr9 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 23:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csr9 View Post
I drive a Superb 2.0 TDi (2011), which has clocked 62,000 Km. I am facing a similar issue with my car's air conditioning unit. Sometimes, it just feels like the blower is solely working with cold air kicking in much later. The compressor ECV was replaced under a recall with no difference in performance. I was told by the ASS that the compressor (including expansion valve, dryer) might need a replacement costing around 90K excluding any discounts. They have indicated a 30% discount on the compressor cost. However, I am trying to push them for a compressor replacement under goodwill warranty.
Sounds like a compressor issue for sure. Best of luck with that goodwill warranty. I tried and they flat out refused.

Quote:
I know I am late, you could have gone for the RCD 330 plus which has built in bluetooth. I have upgraded from the bolero, it is much better in terms of resolution, touch response and interface. My car has the 9W7 unit in place, so I lost out on the call list and contacts on the maxi dot display. However I rarely use the maxi dot display for accessing the call log and contacts as it is convenient to use the head unit for accessing these due to a much larger display. However, the maxi dot displays incoming calls, outgoing calls and the phone button on the MFSW works.
Looks like a good option definitely. Somehow I didn't see this while researching my options. Had seen a bunch of Android units but opted out because of overall quality as well as a potential degradation of sound quality. This was based on feedback from people who've used these Android HUs. Didn't see this 330 plus though. It's not a VAG stock HU is it? Wasn't sure if it was , seeing the description on Aliexpress. How's the SQ compared to the Bolero?

Quote:
As the car is 5 years old, I would recommend you to have a look at upper portion of the front struts in the engine bay. Due to the absence of a protective cover over the strut (assuming the same with the Laura), it is exposed to water during rains leading to corrosion of the upper portion. My car is due for a strut bearing replacement as steering the vehicle makes a grinding noise. However, they were't able to dismantle the strut due to the strut nut getting corroded. Now the only way out is forcibly opening the strut to replace the bearings, making the strut useless.
Thankfully didn't see any rust/corrosion. But will keep an eye- thanks for the heads up.
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 08:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
It's not a VAG stock HU is it? Wasn't sure if it was , seeing the description on Aliexpress. How's the SQ compared to the Bolero
Indeed it is a VAG stock HU. Sound quality is same, if not better than the bolero. Just sharing a couple of links. There are "no name" brand and come with green backlighting. Desay brand RCD usually dont support Skoda's. There is a carplay version as well, though the prices are on the higher side for green backlight ones.

Link 1
Link 2

For installing the RCD 330, you just need to change the fascia panel. Sharing the link below.
fascia
Old 20th July 2017, 08:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed it is a VAG stock HU. Sound quality is same, if not better than the bolero. Just sharing a couple of links. There are "no name" brand and come with green backlighting. Desay brand RCD usually dont support Skoda's. There is a carplay version as well, though the prices are on the higher side for green backlight ones.

Link 1
Link 2

For installing the RCD 330, you just need to change the fascia panel. Sharing the link below.
fascia

Thanks man. Wish I had seen this option earlier! Would have saved on the 9W7 cost and installation challenges (under the seat install, running wires etc). The only options I had seen for HU upgrades were the Amundsen, Amundsen+ and Columbus. All were prohibitively expensive. Not sure if this comes with a mic wiring kit, but that's something i would have had to install anyway - since the Superb came pre-fitted with a 9W7, I'm assuming the mic was already in place for you.

Anyway, will fit and enjoy the 9W7 for now. Apart from lack of BT I'm happy with the Bolero. Navigation is also missed but the VAG options (e.g. Columbus) were too costly. Google maps on phone works for now!
Old 20th July 2017, 08:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man. Not sure if this comes with a mic wiring kit, but that's something i would have had to install anyway - since the Superb came pre-fitted with a 9W7, I'm assuming the mic was already in place for you.
My Pleasure!!

The RCD 330 plus has a built in mic (on the front of the HU). Yes my car has a mic already in place, though it is redundant now.

Good luck with the installation!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks