Team-BHP - Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/188480-maroon-5-pre-worshipped-skoda-laura-l-k-rosso-brunello.html)

I've been wanting to own a European car for quite a while now. Read: German, Czech. The big 3 Germans were obviously out of my league. Pre-owned specimens were perhaps within reach from a capex perspective, but maintenance costs were the killer. That left the German and Czech cousins. Finally, after years of head ruling over heart (VWs and Skodas aren't cheap to maintain either and aren't exactly the most reliable), I bit the bullet and went for it (you only live once and all that).

Had narrowed down on a one year old Jetta TDI DSG that had done just 11,000 kms and was in pristine shape. Had a whole year of standard warranty left, extendable by 2 more years. Perfect. Made a substantial offer to the owner, at least 1 lakh above the prevailing market rates. He held out for a better offer, which I was confident he wouldn't land. He did. Someone paid him 4 lakhs over the market rate and took the car home. In football transfer lingo, I was gazumped! Was gutted and shelved the idea for a while.

Couldn't really stay away from the used car sites though. Kept a regular eye on the usual ones, searching for Jettas and Lauras. Filters: diesel (2.0 TDI), automatic, under 40k kms. Then one day I came across a good looking Laura L&K specimen. 2012 model, done 37k kms. Unique Rosso Brunello (maroon) colour. Called up the dealer and went to check out the car. Inspected it thoroughly and took a lengthy test drive. Also called the Skoda ASC to verify service history.

Breaking things down:

2012 Skoda Laura L&K 2.0 TDI DSG
Rosso Brunello colour

Done: 37k kms
Source: Cartrade.com (dealer)
Original Asking price: 8.5 Lakhs

Observations/issues:

Exterior:
- Rear bumper heavily scratched/dented. Parking sensor hidden
- Front bumper scratched, number plate cracked
- Rear left fender depressed
- Rear right disc brake in bad shape
- Tyres will need replacing soon
- Overall polishing/detailing required

Interior:
- Rear centre armrest lock broken
- Rear AC vent - some broken slats
- Overall cleaning and detailing needed inside

Resolution - to be provided at no extra cost as part of the deal:
- Bumpers to be repainted
- Full exterior detailing - 3M Paint Sealant (car dealer also owned a 3M dealership)
- Full interior detailing - 3M Germkleen
- Rear centre armrest lock to be fixed
- Number plates to be replaced
- Rear parking sensor to be properly fitted

Final buying price: 7.6 Lakhs
Transfer charges were extra (another 10k, which I think was way too high)
One good thing was that the insurance was valid for another 8 months. :thumbs up

Paid an advance and the car was sent off to get fixed. Delivery was scheduled around a week later. Settled the tab and we took home the car. Enter the five year old Rosso Brunello L&K into our lives - Maroon 5 (add healthy dose of creative license here, lol!).

First Look on delivery day :) :
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-img_3787.jpg

3M treatment did the trick and the car looked mint on delivery, inside out. Colour is lovely and fairly uncommon among Lauras (more common with the previous gen Superbs).

Pics taken after delivery:
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-img_3794.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-img_3797.jpg

TDI with a red "I" = DSG!
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-img_3798.jpg

Some interior shots:

Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-int1.jpg

Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-int2.jpg

Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-int3.jpg

Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-int41.jpg

Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-int51.jpg

Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-int61.jpg

Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-int71.jpg

Changes/fixes/additions made since purchasing:
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-vent.jpeg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-img_3834.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-img_3840.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-img_3853.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-mirror1.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bulb.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-led-bulb.jpeg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-resistor1.jpg

Thankfully, everything fitted and worked as expected. Didn't get any errors after installation. The DRL looks very cool, and the white light is much better in appearance than the yellow. In India these are for cosmetic purposes only unlike say the UK, where these are mandatory safety-related kit on a car. And looks wise, this works just fine. The LEDs are very bright and I'll take a call as to whether I need to reduce the brightness (doable via VAG COM). But since they are used only in the daytime, a little extra brightness wouldn't hurt anyone I guess. When the parking light/headlight/fog lamps are switched on, DRLs automatically get turned off. And the convenient option of turning them on/off directly using the Maxidot is good to have.

Here's the final result (not a very good quality pic):
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-drl1.jpg

Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-exhaust.jpeg

Wishlist:

Nothing much more really. The L&K is very loaded as it is. Some of the features I appreciate, many of which are exclusive to the L&K variant:
Update on Bluetooth:
Picked up the 9W7 kit from Eurozone Tuning, a US-based site. They sell refurbished kits at decent rates and in good condition. Hope the condition is indeed good. Cost about 15k INR including the harness and foam holder. Will figure out the installation and VAG COM coding when this arrives in a few weeks time.
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bt_module_kit.jpg

So far so good then. Loving the car, and it feels great driving a dream European sedan. There has been enough and more feedback on the forum about the brilliant TDI+DSG combo. The power is addictive and the lightning quick DSG shifts are awesome. Have used the manual mode as well a few times and it was super. And of course, there's a sport mode: slot in + depress accelerator = instant uncontrollable goofy grin ... lol! It is fuel economical as well, returning 10+ kms/l in the city and 15+ on the highway. Left foot is happy about not having to dive for the clutch all the time in the city.

Keeping my fingers crossed of course that it won't burn a hole in my pocket! My son loves his "new" Skoda and finds excuses to spend time in it! From my wife's perspective, there's definitely a very premium feel inside (L&K spec helps here), which she really appreciates!

The car is begging for a proper photoshoot, however. Hopefully I'll get that done in the very near future!

AC compressor failure is fairly common in Skodas and VWs after the 35k km mark. This is a risk I was aware of and took on. Sadly, luck wasn't on my side and the AC compressor is on its last legs. To be more accurate, the AC valve is the culprit. The compressor is switching on intermittently - about 70% of the time I don't get cool air, just the blower. Got it checked at Wagenwerkz and they confirmed the issue. The cheaper option would be to replace the valve with a new one (cost of around 9k plus labour plus gas filling charges). This, however, has a low rate of success as per Jatin and he wouldn't recommend it or provide any warranty on the same. If it doesn't work out then I lose 11k and have to buy the whole compressor anyway. The whole compressor unit change would be for around 25k all inclusive. Would easily cost 40+ at Skoda ASC. Have decided to go for the whole unit and not risk being penny wise and pound foolish. Part has been ordered and will be fitted next weekend. The infamous Skoda cost of ownership and part failure issues cropping up :(

On another note, still looking good from outside though!

Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-laurafull1.jpg

UPDATE: some research online has pointed to a possible AC valve replacement recall being issued by Skoda for Lauras of a similar vintage. Have reached out to Skoda via their Facebook page and have received a response that they will be getting back to me soon (no clue what "soon" is in their books!). In any case, the part ordered by Jatin has been delayed due to GST-linked supply issues. It is expected within a week, so I can give Skoda a couple of days to get back with an answer. If by some miracle they do agree to change the valve, I'll be over the moon (money saved = money added to the alloy upgrade fund :D ). Fingers crossed.

So while I wait for the AC to get fixed, thought I'd list down some of my likes and dislikes about the car so far.

What I Like:
What I Don't:
Verdict (for now - I hope I don't have to eat my words later!!):
A used Skoda Laura is a good option for those looking to move up to a premium feeling powerful European sedan without spending big. Plenty of them in the used car market, but finding one in good nick is not easy. Even if you do pick up a car in good condition there's always that chance that something may go wrong and cost you a fair bit. Of course this is true for any used car, but the pocket pinch is possibly going to be more if that car is a Skoda (or a VW/any premium brand for that matter). Buying a used Skoda is never going to be a practical decision. But they do make brilliant cars that appeal enormously to those who love to drive, like me. Which is why I am thrilled and excited about owning one :)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

You brave, brave man. There are not enough words in the English dictionary to describe just how brave you are. :D

One liners aside, your acquisition looks great! And that colour is so glamorous! Congratulations! Europeans always make cars that one wants to buy using their heart, no doubts about that. Drive safe, cheers!:thumbs up

Congrats on the ride!

We have a 2012 Laura L&K in white, that's done 70Kkm, and trust me - as much as I crib about the car's small niggles and the average service, the only other option in this price bracket and higher that ticks all my needs is this car!
Been thinking about a replacement that is as compact, fun to drive, automatic, and the only choice really is the new Octavia that is down in some features such as the music system.

Even if I go and look at the A4/3/C Class segment, those cars have more compromises that this one does even after so many years.
The only real option is if VW gets the Jetta back.

Going to be following this thread for updates on how WagenWerkz is treating your vehicle's routine maintenance, as well as more DIY mods - in hopes of getting some ideas.

At the moment, I have the remap, LED parking lights, and P3ST tyres along with some VAGCom unlocks.

Do you know if your vehicle has been updated by Skoda India, or is it still running on the original map?

Quote:

Originally Posted by razor4077 (Post 4234255)
Buying a used Skoda is never going to be a practical decision. But they do make brilliant cars that appeal enormously to those who love to drive, like me. Which is why I am thrilled and excited about owning one :)

Your thread is an ample proof that you know what you are getting into :) Hope the car serves you really well. I think Mumbai has a pretty good support for getting these cars serviced outside A.S.S.

I would say don't bother with alloy wheels unless you come across a good deal on some Skoda OEM alloys. Somehow I don't find cars with non-OEM alloys very classy (there are exceptions).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourav9385 (Post 4235430)
You brave, brave man. There are not enough words in the English dictionary to describe just how brave you are.

I can think of other adjectives, but let's stick to brave :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 4235437)
Do you know if your vehicle has been updated by Skoda India, or is it still running on the original map?

It's been updated from what I can gather from the service records. Any way to "undo" this? Just a matter of reverting to the original map right? From what I'm told that was a more "fun" map!

Update on the AC:
Skoda replied after I contacted them through FB and put me in touch with the CRM of one of the dealers here. He checked and informed me there were no recalls applicable to my car. A compressor change along with peripherals would be north of 50k. And this is after a (supposedly) 60% discount on compressor cost! What insane margins these guys have on their spare parts!! Seems like I'll be going to get it done outside as planned. Hoping this is completed by this weekend because it's impossible to drive a car in the rains without the AC nowadays.

On another note, the clip on exhaust tail pieces have arrived and been fixed. Looks really nice. The fit isn't completely secure and it's possible to twist them off with a little force. But they won't fall off (hopefully!). Another small upgrade which adds a fair bit to the car :)

Before:
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-exhaust_old.jpg

After:
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-exhaust_new1.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-exhaust_new2.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-exhaust_new3.jpg

Better quality pics soon.

Congrats on the ride!

Just writing in to say the alloys look great! Keep them.

If the upgrade bug still bites, one option is to go OEM way: 17 inch Audi A3 alloys would look great (not to mention PCD and Centre Bore match and centering rings won't be needed)

Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-audia309.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidhu_hs (Post 4235516)
Just writing in to say the alloys look great! Keep them.

If the upgrade bug still bites, one option is to go OEM way: 17 inch Audi A3 alloys would look great (not to mention PCD and Centre Bore match and centering rings won't be needed)

Those A3 alloys are hot. But I don't have plans to upsize from the 16" rims right now. Just invested in new Michelins. And I've been looking only at OEM (Skoda or VW) alloys for now. The new Octy alloys are nice and will fit perfectly, for example. So will the Jetta's.

Congrats on your acquisition Razor4077 !

Was curious to find out how you ensured the kilometers shown on the ODO were authentic. Some years back when i was looking out for a used car in Mumbai, i found that nearly all the cars being sold by used car dealers had their ODOs clocked back and in the end steered clear of these dealerships and settled for a car (Skoda) which was relatively high on mileage but was sold by an individual.

And to your point on AC Compressor failure - i experienced the same with my Skoda Fabia when it had clocked around 1 lac and went the ASC route. The ASC charged me nearly Rs.55000 for replacing the AC condensor and compressor ...and this was in 2015. So you did well in not reaching out to the ASC as they would have charged you a bomb for the Laura.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeev1 (Post 4235555)
Was curious to find out how you ensured the kilometers shown on the ODO were authentic. Some years back when i was looking out for a used car in Mumbai, i found that nearly all the cars being sold by used car dealers had their ODOs clocked back and in the end steered clear of these dealerships and settled for a car (Skoda) which was relatively high on mileage but was sold by an individual.

I checked the service history with Skoda and that confirmed the mileage. The car had gone for a "summer camp" at Skoda ASS recently during which they had also carried out the mandated software remap on the car. So I had a fairly recent confirmed km reading to compare to.