Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 08:58   #136
BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
4) Headlights and fog lamps aligned better.

I also raised the fog lamp aiming so that the throw is slightly further ahead.
Thanks a lot for this, Behemoth. Regarding the foglamp vertical adjustment, would it be possible for you to share a picture indicating where to do it from? The SC keeps saying that these are "non-adjustable". And with these dropping light right at the Jeep's feet, are of no use to the driver.
Caesar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 09:14   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
Thanks a lot for this, Behemoth. Regarding the foglamp vertical adjustment, would it be possible for you to share a picture indicating where to do it from? The SC keeps saying that these are "non-adjustable". And with these dropping light right at the Jeep's feet, are of no use to the driver.
There is an adustment nut at the bottom of the fog lights which you need to adjust using a 6mm hex key/ allen key. You need to open the wheel well liner to access the fog lamps. The adjustment screw looks like this from below.
Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-img_20181111_102830__01.jpg
Line up your car against a wall at around 5ft distance and mark the original pisition. Then adjust the level as required - it is quite simple to do.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 16:04   #138
BHPian

Quote:

1) Rattly doors and squeaky door seals fixed!
For fixing the squeaky door seals, this Silicone Spray is what I used to spray on them and it has eliminated all the rubbing noises from the seals. This needs to be sprayed on the door seals as well as the weather strips (from inside) on the doors.

Also, the door latches are what rattle on the Door locks - so I applied a bit of Duct tape on the door latch part and greased the Locks well. All Rattling noises are completely gone now. I did this on all 4 doors and even the tailgate hatch. This is a trick I learnt on my Yeti, as the door latches of that also used to rattle. The Compass has the same problem and the same solution works.

Would it be possible to post some pictures of where you applied duct tape, etc and sprayed the silicone?

It would be really helpful !

Thanks!
Old 8th December 2018, 08:11   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Would it be possible to post some pictures of where you applied duct tape, etc and sprayed the silicone?

It would be really helpful !

Thanks!
As requested:
Apply the duct tape here (cut it to right width and apply 3-4 rounds on the latch. The pidilite duct tape is silver coloured so it is also not too visible. You can also use electrical tape but that will look bad in black and also will not last as long.

Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-img_20181208_080716.jpg
Apply grease inside the lock here. Apply liberally to make sure the lock parts have enough grease to stop lateral movement.

Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-img_20181208_080722.jpg
Apply silicone spray to this weatherstrip and also to door beading on all sides of door. Generally the top weatherstrip is the noisy one but it helps if you apply on the whole door beadings. The same spray can also be applied to window side rubbers if your power windows are noisy or juddery.

Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-img_20181208_080727.jpg

Last edited by Behemoth : 8th December 2018 at 08:16.
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 09:29   #140
BHPian

Quote:
As requested:...
Thank you so much! Will try it out on on my car and see how it goes.
Fusion2006 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 01:22   #141
BHPian

Hi Behemoth,

How is the update on thee Car. I am in the Market for an Auto in this segment. What is your take after almost two years
Old 11th August 2019, 17:10   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
Hi Behemoth,

How is the update on the Car. I am in the Market for an Auto in this segment. What is your take after almost two years

Our Compass - Silver Surfer is doing fine and just got the third service done (at 2 years) and have covered around 20,000 kms so far.
We were hearing some rattle from the steering when the wheels were turned to full right lock - the service guys checked it out and the steering rack was replaced under warranty. Cost of the service was 13,000 for the regular service. Battery was also checked and found weak and I will be getting it changed from outside. The Compass OE battery is quite weak and in the Jeep Group in NCR, more than 20% battery failures have happened in first year and close to 50% by second year. The battery is covered in warranty only for 1 year.
The OE battery is quite a weak link so I am getting mine changed from outside with an Exide Din70 battery.
Also the steering rack failure is an alarming thing as with a SUV which had covered only 20k kms, it shows that the quality and offroad capability is not reliable.
Ironically Jeep is giving 5 year warranty to new buyers by default and also doling out freebies because of competition while early buyers like us are being fleeced.
The extended warranty cost which I have been quoted is 38,000 for the Fourth and fifth year.
Guess this is why Jeep sales are declining and people are moving to other options.

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th August 2019 at 17:14.
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 02:54   #143
Senior - BHPian

Hi Behemoth,

How is the car holding up after almost 3 years. Please post a small overview of your experience so far.

Would you recommend a Compass after using it for 3 years.

Any issues or problems that you faced, last but not the least, how has your service experience been and the maintenance cost.

I am on the fence for a Compass but still worried about long term reliability and service quality.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 09:32   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Hi Behemoth,

I am on the fence for a Compass but still worried about long term reliability and service quality.
Hi Traveler,
My Silver Surfer is doing great and so far has completed only 36,000 kms in the past 3 years. (will be completing 3 in Aug)
The only part which had failed at 2 years was the battery , which I got replaced from outside with another equivalent battery.
The service costs in the yearly services have been in the range of 10-12k each time (twice so far and next one due in Aug). The first one at 5k kms was just a checkup and alignment.
We are enjoying the car so far but because of the lockdown it has not seen much action in the past 4 months now but I do try to drive it at least once a week for half an hour. The engine is still running perfectly and has smoothened out even more. It is a well built car and much safer than the Korean options. The Korean options are loaded with features but they miss out on pure body strength. The Jeep is one car which excels in this and if you value safety, this is the car for you.

Out of the two major shortcomings I felt - the weak headlights and the small bootspace, I have already upgraded the headlights to HID and they are working great.

On the Bootspace, I have done some Jugaad and replaced the boot separator floor (which is very thick) with an ACP sheet (4mm thick) cut to the same exact shape. This has freed around another 50L of the boot space and now gives me more usable space. I am also considering replacing the standard spare wheel with a skinny space saver wheel which will further liberate more space in the boot by another 50L.
Overall it has been a great ownership so far and the car is trouble free and exciting to drive.

Last edited by Behemoth : 29th June 2020 at 09:48.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 10:54   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Traveler,
My Silver Surfer is doing great and so far has completed only 36,000 kms in the past 3 years. (will be completing 3 in Aug)
The only part which had failed at 2 years was the battery , which I got replaced from outside with another equivalent battery.
The service costs in the yearly services have been in the range of 10-12k each time (twice so far and next one due in Aug). The first one at 5k kms was just a checkup and alignment.
We are enjoying the car so far but because of the lockdown it has not seen much action in the past 4 months now but I do try to drive it at least once a week for half an hour. The engine is still running perfectly and has smoothened out even more. It is a well built car and much safer than the Korean options. The Korean options are loaded with features but they miss out on pure body strength. The Jeep is one car which excels in this and if you value safety, this is the car for you.

Out of the two major shortcomings I felt - the weak headlights and the small bootspace, I have already upgraded the headlights to HID and they are working great.

On the Bootspace, I have done some Jugaad and replaced the boot separator floor (which is very thick) with an ACP sheet (4mm thick) cut to the same exact shape. This has freed around another 50L of the boot space and now gives me more usable space. I am also considering replacing the standard spare wheel with a skinny space saver wheel which will further liberate more space in the boot by another 50L.
Overall it has been a great ownership so far and the car is trouble free and exciting to drive.
Thanks a lot Behemoth, your experience builds a lot of confidence for me.

It definitely looks like the car is built to last with the usual maintenance.

I am considering the Diesel 4x4 AT that comes with HID headlights and have done a number of test drives and find the vehicle to be quite stable. Safety is foremost for me too.

I agree that the boot is quite small and it will need some amount of clever packing to get one's stuff loaded, especially on a long trip.

Once again thanks for your valuable feedback.
Old 14th December 2020, 21:33   #146
BHPian

Hey there Behemoth,
Thanks so much for such detail... it is very very helpful.
I have just booked for a Night Eagle 4X2 Manual Diesel. I didn't like the automatic and wife preferred the all-black feel and we got a nice discount before the new variant launches. So we went ahead with it.

Do suggest what are the kind of accessories that we can look for.
Old 15th December 2020, 10:00   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilbuster View Post
Hey there Behemoth,
Thanks so much for such detail... it is very very helpful.
I have just booked for a Night Eagle 4X2 Manual Diesel. I didn't like the automatic and wife preferred the all-black feel and we got a nice discount before the new variant launches. So we went ahead with it.

Do suggest what are the kind of accessories that we can look for.
Congrats on your new booking! The Night eagle edition is nice looking with All Black interiors and is also well speced out. The Only upgrade I would recommend you do immediately after getting the car is to change the Tyres to either Falken Wildpeak / Michelin Latitude sport (in same stock size) as the OE Firestones are really noisy and hard. But take only the Stock size tyres and not any larger size. You will also get good trade in value for your existing tyres, so it is best to do this immediately after buying. The change of tyres will improve ride quality for the better and reduce road noise.

Apart from that, the basic accessories like 3D Mats (you can get the ones from Elegant Auto - They are pretty good) or the Jeep Original ones in Rubber.
Maybe an in-cabin purifier will also be useful in today's scenario.

Wish you many years of Happy Driving!
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:38   #148
BHPian

Hi Behemoth, thanks for a great thread on the Compass!

Have just purchased a pre-owned 2017 December model and had a couple of queries.

1. How are the Elegant 3D mats holding up? Can you share any photos of these installed in your car? 3D Kagu are coming too expensive online, so was looking for a more economical option.

2. Is there a way to take the extended warranty of 2 years. As luck would have it, I purchased the car after 3 weeks of expiry of the original 3 year warranty. When I called Landmark Jeep, they refused saying even a one day delay post expiry of original warranty period means no extension option.

3. Have you done any tyre upgrades yet? Coming from Michelin Primacy 4ST on my City, these ones appear noisy and harsher on road.

Also, I am hearing rattling noises in the driver side door. Would see if the trick with tape and grease work for me and update.
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:33   #149
BHPian

Another strange irritant is the auto radio on. The moment i start the car, radio comes on. I hardly listen to it and it is a big irritant because the volume is set for calls (usually high). Haven't been able to find a way to stop radio from auto starting. Any suggestions?
Old 3rd January 2021, 18:30   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a View Post
Hi Behemoth, thanks for a great thread on the Compass!

Have just purchased a pre-owned 2017 December model and had a couple of queries.

1. How are the Elegant 3D mats holding up? Can you share any photos of these installed in your car? 3D Kagu are coming too expensive online, so was looking for a more economical option.

2. Is there a way to take the extended warranty of 2 years. As luck would have it, I purchased the car after 3 weeks of expiry of the original 3 year warranty. When I called Landmark Jeep, they refused saying even a one day delay post expiry of original warranty period means no extension option.

3. Have you done any tyre upgrades yet? Coming from Michelin Primacy 4ST on my City, these ones appear noisy and harsher on road.

Also, I am hearing rattling noises in the driver side door. Would see if the trick with tape and grease work for me and update.
Hi,
Congrats on your Compass. To answer your queries:
1) The elegant mats are holding up fine so far and till date there are no tears in the mats, just normal wear and tear. I would recommend them. Other option is the Jeep Original offroad mats - they are also quite good and available at Jeep Dealerships.

2) currently they allow extended warranty to be taken only during the warranty period but you can try pushing them to convince them otherwise

3) I am still on my original Firestone tyres and they are quite hard and noisy. There are some good options available in the stock size, but availability is quite limited due to import restrictions. Falken Wildpeak is ideal for the compass followed by Yokohama Earth 1. Try for either of these options in stock size.
Michelins are not available in stock size and the size available generally is 235/60 R17 and they are really expensive (around 18k when I checked last). The Falkens and the Yokos in stock size are generally available in the range of 10-11k.

4) the door rattling noise can be solved by the duct tape method I mentioned. Also to apply the Silicone spray I shared earlier to the door beadings.

On the auto radio on, IIRC there is a setting somewhere in the menus where you can turn it off. In my case if the radio is off when you switch the car off, it does not switch on automatically when I restart it next

Also if your original battery has not been changed yet, please get it changed asap to Din.74 Amaron or Din 74 Exide as the OE battery is prone to premature failure and lot pf failures have been reported (including mine) within 2 years.

Hope this helps and wish you many years of Happy Motoring

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd January 2021 at 18:32.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks