Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2017, 20:57   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
A hearty congratulations to you Behemoth on your beautiful Silver Surfer. We are too hoping to take delivery of exactly same specced Compass by the Navratras. Had a question to bother you with, how do you find the light throw of the car? Is it satisfactory
Thanks! Yes I find the light throw quite satisfactory and I find it good enough for my needs currently in city driving. We haven't done any nightime dark highway driving yet but I think it should fare fine. I am also trying to find a good Hid retrofit solution and will let you know in case I am able to get it done, though not at the risk of voiding my warranty!
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 11:57   #32
BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Am a little late to this party, but many many congratulations to you on this beauty Behemoth. You should definitely go ahead and get the black roof, it will complement the silver colour perfectly.
I drive a 2009 Punto with about 117k on the odo and am sure the Compass is what i want to upgrade to. Will still need some time to sort out my financials (have a new home loan on my head) but this will definitely be my next car.
So am going to be glued to your thread very closely. Wishing you an awesome ownership experience!
Old 5th September 2017, 16:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
Am a little late to this party, but many many congratulations to you on this beauty Behemoth. You should definitely go ahead and get the black roof, it will complement the silver colour perfectly.
Wishing you an awesome ownership experience!
Thanks abhii176!
I am really hoping that Fiat service will at least be better than the Skoda service I have experienced over the past 6 years, which I must admit has become worse progressively in Gurgaon and never improved.

So far I have covered around 225 km in the Compass in the past 7 days and am getting an average of 11kmpl as most of the driving has been in city traffic. Haven't had a chance yet to go any long highway drives yet.
Behemoth is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 11:32   #34
BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Congrats Behemoth. I own a yeti 4X2 and the Jeep compass is I think the best upgrade. Will follow your thread very closely. Happy driving !
prasadathani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 15:58   #35
BHPian

Congrats, Behemoth! If I was in the market, I would get a Compass too!

I have a Linea Minimal Gray. I am assuming your Compass and my car are the same shade since they come from the same company and have the same name for the color.

If you look carefully in the sun, you will see that it has a tinge of blue in it. It is actually more blue than gray.
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 23:51   #36

Congrats behemoth. Following your thread. Any chance you at BPTP Sector 57? Guess I saw it there. Or may be I'm simply getting dreamy about jeeps. Wish u miles and miles of great driving.
acetrump is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 09:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetrump View Post
Congrats behemoth. Following your thread. Any chance you at BPTP Sector 57? Guess I saw it there. Or may be I'm simply getting dreamy about jeeps. Wish u miles and miles of great driving.
Yes we live near that area in Mayfield so you probably did see us somewhere there. My Compass has a LTD sticker on the back left side . If you see me driving do give me a wave (but my wife also drives it half the time !)
Old 10th September 2017, 20:47   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a moderately long drive today in our Silver Surfer today from Gurgaon to Behror to our farm and back with a total distance of 250 kms to and fro. Overall a very composed ride and it was really difficult to keep it below 90kmph as it just begs to go faster. In the return journey I reset the trip meter to check the highway mileage and was pleasantly surprised to get a 18.5kmpl (5.4L/100km) over a distance of 104kms with consistent driving 80-90kmph in 5/6th gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-20170910_195315.jpg  

Last edited by Behemoth : 10th September 2017 at 20:56.
Behemoth is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 17:20   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
There is some amount of body roll at low speeds compared to our Laura, but less than our Yeti. The Yeti comparatively had a very stiff ride quality and you could feel all the jerks and stones on the road.
Hey Behemoth, congratulations on the beautiful car and the excellent review of the excellent car.

I have a question here, and you being owner of an excellent sedan (Laura) as well, would be the appropriate person to answer.

I started my search for a well-built D segment sedan to be driven both my me and my driver. A safe and sturdy new car for 4 people with very good ride quality (both front and back) in city and highway along with good NVH were the priorities. The only D segment sedan that we liked was Octavia Style TDI. However, it is beyond my budget. The next diesel sedan that I liked was also from the Skoda stable, the Rapid. So, I downgraded myself to C segment and almost booked a Rapid. Suddenly, Compass was launched and I happened to drive the Compass 4x2 during a short test drive. Though I do not need a SUV, I tried it on a friend's request. I was floored by the robust build, ride, ease of drivability with the soft clutch of Compass and the Longitude version was within my budget. I enjoyed how care-free I could drive on nasty bridge-joints with a great visibility compared to a sedan. But I could drive only for 1.5 km due to the restriction from the dealer side. And that was sufficient to judge the car.

And now the question comes. As per the official review there is good amount of side-to-side movement in Compass. You also mentioned in your review that Compass has more body roll compared to Laura at low speeds. Understand that an SUV with high GC will have more body roll, but is it really a deal breaker compared to the sedans like Rapid? I could not feel much side-to-side movement during my test drive, but it was very short. Excessive side-to-side movement causes a lot of discomfort and hence the question. After experiencing Compass, I did not feel like going back to Rapid, but want to be sure on the side-to-side movement. Another question, if you do a mix of city & highway drive for few hours in Compass and Laura, in which car would you feel more fresh at the end of the journey? I am not talking about the completely broken village roads here. But normal city roads which generally are not in a good condition in our country.

I know I am jumping between segments, and also from SUVs to sedans. But end of the day, it is a matter of getting the best vehicle within the budget.

Last edited by sups : 13th September 2017 at 17:28.
Old 13th September 2017, 22:15   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Hey Behemoth, congratulations on the beautiful car and the excellent review of the excellent car.

I have a question here, and you being owner of an excellent sedan (Laura) as well, would be the appropriate person to answer.
I know I am jumping between segments, and also from SUVs to sedans. But end of the day, it is a matter of getting the best vehicle within the budget.
Sure, will be happy to share my advice!
Compared to the Laura, the Compass feels much higher and does have minor side to side roll, but it is not at all bad and way less that other typical SUVs. It is almost sedan like in its ride quality and also has good ground clearance and a well tuned suspension to tackle bad roads which you will find aplenty in most cities!
If your main criteria is city driving, you could go for a Rapid monte carlo Diesel At Or the Creta At which will be very easy to drive in the city and will cost you less than the Compass.

However if you want a car which you will drive mainly yourself and also go on long highway drives, you should get the Compass. The Compass is a comfortable cruiser at 90 kmph speeds and the stability and comfort and noise level is quite good.

Looks wise and style quotient value of the Compass is the highest as it is still a rare car and contemporary in its design.

Last edited by Behemoth : 13th September 2017 at 22:18.
Behemoth is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 21:08   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

So today I did some measurements to compare our Jeep Compass rear seat dimensions with our Laura.
Key stats as below:
Jeep Compass
Rear seat width : 50 inches
Rear seat squab: 21 inches
Rear legroom 12 inches (with front seat set for my driving position)
Transmission tunnel height 4 inches

Skoda Laura
Rear seat width : 51 inches
Rear seat squab: 19 inches
Rear legroom 12 inches (with front seat set for my driving position)
Transmission tunnel height 7 inches

The seat squab of the Compass is quite larger than the Lauras by 2 inches. If they wished they could have gone for a smaller seat squab which would release more leg room, but I personally prefer a longer seat squab and also the more upright seat back position.

The Laura has a very high transmission tunnel which makes the 3rd rear passenger very uncomfortable.

Last edited by Behemoth : 23rd September 2017 at 21:09.
Behemoth is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 18:33   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the Elegant sportivo 3d mats today and seem to be good quality. Total price landed to me from Amazon was 6498 including shipping. They are contoured and coverage is also larger than the OE mats. There is also a small 5th mat for the transmission tunnel.
Attached Thumbnails
Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold-20170928_174341.jpg  

Behemoth is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 14:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Many Congratulations Sameer on a great acquisition. It's a logical change from the Yeti. Compact and capable. Wishing you many years of trouble free safe driving.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 22:06   #44
BHPian

Behemoth, have you had a chance to take your car out at nights; and would you be able to comment on the adequacy of the OEM projector halogens? Is it as good as it gets, barely adequate, or needs upgrade of sorts?
Thanks for your inputs.
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:21   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
Behemoth, have you had a chance to take your car out at nights; and would you be able to comment on the adequacy of the OEM projector halogens? Is it as good as it gets, barely adequate, or needs upgrade of sorts?
Thanks for your inputs.
The OEM halogen projectors are just barely sufficient and I find myself using fog lamps at night time for more light. I am looking to upgrade to Xenon HIDs but when the option becomes available as a dealer fitted accessory which he has promised will be available soon.
Xenons should make a good difference in the lighting.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks