Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2017, 15:19   #46

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Congrats on your new acquisition!!!

Quick query - am trying to UPGRADE from a Nissan Micra to the Compass. What's your experience with the Compass taking tight angle turns? I got spoiled with the Micra's exceptional city driving capabilities, but obviously it's not an apple-to-apple comparison.

But, is the turning radius an issue? I heard it's even larger than the Safari Storme.

Thanks!
Old 5th October 2017, 16:39   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikkr View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition!!!

Quick query - am trying to UPGRADE from a Nissan Micra to the Compass. What's your experience with the Compass taking tight angle turns? I got spoiled with the Micra's exceptional city driving capabilities, but obviously it's not an apple-to-apple comparison.

But, is the turning radius an issue? I heard it's even larger than the Safari Storme.

Thanks!
I have not experienced any difficulty so far in taking U turns and one gets used to it quite easily. The Compass is very easy to drive and more convenient than any sedan. A small car like Micra will have an advantage in occupying less parking space but in most other aspects the Compass is also convenient. Length wise it is also not too large (4.4 m) so parking is also not much of an issue. The forward visibility in the Compass is a minor issue as the hood is very large and flat and the A pillars are thick.
Overall its a good balanced car for city as well as highway use. Mine is currently giving me a mileage of 13.5 kmpl in 50:50 City: highway use.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 20:17   #48
BHPian

Hi Behemoth. Congratulations on your new purchase. Was about to ask you your opinion re the Yeti.
Old 5th October 2017, 22:17   #49

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Overall its a good balanced car for city as well as highway use. Mine is currently giving me a mileage of 13.5 kmpl in 50:50 City: highway use.
13.5 is pretty impressive. Thanks, Behemoth. Appreciate your response.
karthikkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 07:38   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikkr View Post
13.5 is pretty impressive. Thanks, Behemoth. Appreciate your response.
My wife drives it on weekdays and I get it only on weekends and long drives. She tends to drive with a heavy foot. If I drive it , I mostly get an average of 14.5 -15 kmpl. The engine is decently frugal, especially on highway runs in 5th /6th gear. Till 90, 5th is more efficient, after 90, 6th is efficient.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 12:35   #51
BHPian

Hi Behemoth. Yours being the only ownership thread around here, wanted to check how your car is behaving in the real world? Any niggles or is it serving you well? How is the dashboard rattle? Were the service center folks able to detect and fix?
Old 10th October 2017, 13:30   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
Hi Behemoth. Yours being the only ownership thread around here, wanted to check how your car is behaving in the real world? Any niggles or is it serving you well? How is the dashboard rattle? Were the service center folks able to detect and fix?
Our Compass is doing well so far and is convenient to drive in the city and also very stable on highways. At highway speeds it exhibits its real performance and character. The adaptive frequency damping actually works better on highways and stabilizes the ride well.
The dashboard vibration still remains as I have not yet had the time to take it to the service centre yet (its done around 1900km so far). I may get it done in the first check up service which is at 5000km.
My only gripe is on the light colour leather seats which become soiled quickly and need cleaning every alternate week.
I also tried to convince the dealer to install Osram H11 HID lights on my car but they refused saying that it is not allowed and they cannot install it. They were pushing some other LED headlight bulbs at 18k which is very expensive and I am not keen for.
Anyone else managed to upgrade their lights to HID yet?

Last edited by Behemoth : 10th October 2017 at 13:35.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 13:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I also tried to convince the dealer to install Osram H11 HID lights on my car but they refused saying that it is not allowed and they cannot install it. They were pushing some other LED headlight bulbs at 18k which is very expensive and I am not keen for.
Anyone else managed to upgrade their lights to HID yet?
Someone on FB reported that they got the Osram 6K HID installed as a plug n play with the ballast requiring to be tagged (Not a damn clue what it means). Further, he installed Phillips LEDs for Fogs. While he is satisfied with the brightness, the spread seems unsatisfactory. That, it seems, people would have to live with.
The JEEP whatsapp group further comments that the dealers who were doing it so far have now halted the installation at behest of FCA, due to some apparent issue with HIDs.
People are continuing to comment that halogen projectors are not adequate.
Old 13th October 2017, 00:21   #54
BHPian

Quote:
The OEM halogen projectors are just barely sufficient and I find myself using fog lamps at night time for more light. I am looking to upgrade to Xenon HIDs but when the option becomes available as a dealer fitted accessory which he has promised will be available soon.
Xenons should make a good difference in the lighting.
Behemoth, first of all hearty congratulations on your ride, and thanks for the excellent review. As for lights - you have a couple of choices: a halogen like Osram NBU will give you about 40% increase over stock halogen, or you can evaluate LEDs or HIDs. I believe dealer HIDs will cost around 12K; you can get a very good one from outside at around 6K ballpark. If need be, I can connect you with someone in the NCR area who manufactures both LED and HID, and warranties them for 2 years - worth a look!

Wishing you lots of happy miles!
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 01:42   #55

Congratulations @Behemoth! And an excellent initial ownership review!

Do keep us posted on the 5K service experience.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:36   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Behemoth, first of all hearty congratulations on your ride, and thanks for the excellent review. As for lights - you have a couple of choices: a halogen like Osram NBU will give you about 40% increase over stock halogen, or you can evaluate LEDs or HIDs. I believe dealer HIDs will cost around 12K; you can get a very good one from outside at around 6K ballpark. If need be, I can connect you with someone in the NCR area who manufactures both LED and HID, and warranties them for 2 years - worth a look!

Wishing you lots of happy miles!
Thanks a ton , do please PM me the details of the Lighting guy and I will get in touch with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuoui View Post
Congratulations @Behemoth! And an excellent initial ownership review!

Do keep us posted on the 5K service experience.
Thanks! Certainly will update on my service experiences too as I go through the miles.
Old 13th October 2017, 12:18   #57
BHPian

Congratulations @Behemoth for bringing home a beauty (and a beast)!

I test drove the Compass last week in Bangalore, along with my wife. I loved the driving experience and the character it has, but was definitely disapointed due to lack of space when compared to a Hexa and XUV, and that is a priority for my wife.

If it was me, I would go and pick a Compass, even the Longitude is an excellent package. I would like to know your opinion, now that you have driven your Compass for close to 2000 KMs - I would like to know your opinion on why Compass is still a great choice, over XUV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
The JEEP whatsapp group further comments that the dealers who were doing it so far have now halted the installation at behest of FCA, due to some apparent issue with HIDs.
@Caesar - Can folks like me, who don't yet own a Compass, but are planning to, join this Whatsapp group? Can I PM you my number to be added to it pls?

Last edited by Samurai : 13th October 2017 at 12:56. Reason: B2B posts. Learn to use multi-quote
Old 13th October 2017, 21:25   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryskt View Post
Congratulations @Behemoth for bringing home a beauty (and a beast)!

I test drove the Compass last week in Bangalore, along with my wife. I loved the driving experience and the character it has, but was definitely disapointed due to lack of space when compared to a Hexa and XUV, and that is a priority for my wife.
Thanks Harry. Yes in terms of space it is quite less than the XUV but in terms of driving dynamics and finesse it is better. However if you regularly seat 5 I would still recommend you go with the XUV. If you have a small family and enjoy driving you should go for the Compass. The Compass is a fresh new design and very expressive. It is not too large and also convenient for city use and powerful and stable for highway use.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 20:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryskt View Post
@Caesar - Can folks like me, who don't yet own a Compass, but are planning to, join this Whatsapp group? Can I PM you my number to be added to it pls?
I am not an admin there and got the invite from an FB page on Jeep Compass owners. PM me and I will request someone there.
Old 15th October 2017, 18:33   #60
BHPian

At how many kms. are you now ? And what is the battery voltage ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks