Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2017, 11:25   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
Good point there. I used to drive a Ford Ikon Rocam and still have the feeling it was more powerful than the current cars. Or maybe our expectations have gone higher. Have clocked 1111 kms on the Compass and still the engine sounds funny. On idle it feels like water being circulated. Not sure if it's just mine, would be great if you can comment on the engine note.
Yes the water gurgling sound is normal for this engine, and it is more prominent in colder weather. After running for around 10 min it does subside and you become used to it.
Old 25th October 2017, 22:34   #77
BHPian

Thanks for that. I started to get worried. Apart from this and the vibration noises that pops out from different areas but only one at a time, the compass has been pretty good.
Old 28th October 2017, 15:37   #78
Senior - BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
On idle it feels like water being circulated. Not sure if it's just mine, would be great if you can comment on the engine note.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes the water gurgling sound is normal for this engine, and it is more prominent in colder weather. After running for around 10 min it does subside and you become used to it.
This sound is even there in my Abarth. But only heard on cold starts as mentioned by Behemoth.
Old 4th December 2017, 12:02   #79
BHPian

re: Rise of the Silver Surfer | Chronicles of our Jeep Compass 4x2 Limited | EDIT: Sold

Quote:
The main beam light is much brighter now in low beam. In high beam it is a bit scattered but ok. Now there is a colour mismatch between the fog lamps (which also act as cornering lamps) and I am thinking of getting them changed too. I have ordered H11 led bulbs from Aliexpress and will change them myself when they arrive.
Hi Behemoth,
How is it after you changed the fog lamps? Which brand of Led bulbs did you opt for?
I drive the longitude version which comes with standard with the Quad halogen lamps. I too, am finding the lighting inadequate especially on unlit highways, more so if its raining. I did check with the dealer on upgrading it to the halogen projector headlamps, but I was told that the beam length is more or less similar & the quad halogen lamps are better than the Halogen projector lamps, not sure how true this is.

The next option I was interested in, was the Bi-Xenon projector headlamps which come standard on the 'Limited Option pack' variant, though Xenon's are technically supposed to be brighter, is the beam length & spread better, has anyone checked this?Also I was told that for now, I can't upgrade from the Quad halogen headlamps to Bi-Xenon / Halogen projector headlamps as the wiring socket pin is different. If anyone has done this upgrade, it will be very helpful, if the details are shared.

Since there are no other options available to me currently, that I can do without voiding my warranty, I was looking at changing both the High beam ( HB3/ 9005) & Low beam ( H11) bulbs to Philips extreme vision bulbs. I have used Philips extreme vision bulbs in my earlier cars and I know that though there is a difference in brightness & beam length, thought not as much as claimed by them. Has anyone done this bulb change in the Compass Longitude version?
Old 4th December 2017, 15:23   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnuk View Post
Hi Behemoth,
How is it after you changed the fog lamps? Which brand of Led bulbs did you opt for?
I drive the longitude version which comes with standard with the Quad halogen lamps. I too, am finding the lighting inadequate especially on unlit highways, more so if its raining. I did check with the dealer on upgrading it to the halogen projector headlamps, but I was told that the beam length is more or less similar & the quad halogen lamps are better than the Halogen projector lamps, not sure how true this is.
For the fog lamps I ordered Nighteye H11 led bulbs from Alixpress with Canbus correctors and fitted them myself. They are rated at 25W and 4000Lm each and light output is easily 3x of stock foglamps.

You are still lucky to have quad halogen headlights, the ones with Ltd version (not O) have only a single projector with 65W halogens, which are completely insufficient for highway use.

Upgrading to halogen projectors is not advisable and the upgrade to Osram nightbreakers is the best option.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 16:00   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for highlighting as I haven't noticed this yet!
Today I got my headlight bulbs upgraded to LED HB3 bulbs at the dealerships. They cost a bomb at 18k and come with 2 year warranty. I did not want to take outside options as that would mean risking the electrical warranty. The led bulbs are a direct fit with no cutting required of any type. They are fanless and compact in size with a heat sink.
Would it be possible to post the pictures of the light beam for both low and high beams shot at night?

What is the wattage of this LED bulb?
Old 4th December 2017, 17:13   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Would it be possible to post the pictures of the light beam for both low and high beams shot at night?

What is the wattage of this LED bulb?
Sure give me a few days as I get time only over the weekends due to my hectic travel schedule and office work!
Old 13th December 2017, 12:40   #83
BHPian

Quote:
I too hear this engine noise during a cold start, remains until engine heats up.
I too was told by other Fiat/Jeep owners that it is normal. I moved from Ford Fiesta (2007) Diesel, this was not the case.

Agree with all observations from 'Behemoth'.
Compass is brilliant to drive, after moving from Fiesta. However, there are minor points i think could have made it even better.
- OVRM, while they electrically close/Open, there should have been an setting to auto close/open with engine or lock/unlock car. Like they have this setting for Electronic Hand Brake.

- Wonder why not utilise the LED position lamps as DRL and why separate DRLs !!

- cannot switch off the media screen, even the OFF button makes it blank with backlit.

Most of these are s/w upgrades and can be made anytime if FCA decides.

Day 2 of the car, i drove from BLR to HYD and back, very composed ride and engaging for those who travel to drive
Old 25th December 2017, 19:18   #84
BHPian

Hi Anshuman

Can you please direct me to the manufacturer of LED & HID in NCR. I have a Linea and need to replace my bulbs to either of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Behemoth, first of all hearty congratulations on your ride, and thanks for the excellent review. As for lights - you have a couple of choices: a halogen like Osram NBU will give you about 40% increase over stock halogen, or you can evaluate LEDs or HIDs. I believe dealer HIDs will cost around 12K; you can get a very good one from outside at around 6K ballpark. If need be, I can connect you with someone in the NCR area who manufactures both LED and HID, and warranties them for 2 years - worth a look!

Wishing you lots of happy miles!
Old 25th December 2017, 20:53   #85
BHPian

Hi Behemoth

Any reason you did not go for the Option Pack? That has the Bi-Xenon HID for the headlamps. This would have fulfilled your need for brighter lights.

Quote:
Sure give me a few days as I get time only over the weekends due to my hectic travel schedule and office work!
Old 26th December 2017, 07:33   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post
Hi Behemoth

Any reason you did not go for the Option Pack? That has the Bi-Xenon HID for the headlamps. This would have fulfilled your need for brighter lights.
I had originally booked the LTD O 4x4 but to take delivery before the Cess increase I changed my booking to Ltd 4x2. The details are in my opening post in this thread.
Last weekend I changed my headlights back to Halogen Philips Xtremevision and found them much better than the Led bulbs. The Led bulbs have a dark spot exactly where there should be a hot spot and the beam is not spread properly. The Philips bulbs have the right hot spot position and the right beam spread.
The stock bulbs in the Compass are Sylvania LL (Long Life) which don't have good light output as they are optimised for long life. The Philips Xtremevisions have at least 50% higher light output and the light is whiter. Anyone looking for a low cost upgrade to headlights without voiding warranty should take this route instead of Leds.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 10:31   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Last weekend I changed my headlights back to Halogen Philips Xtremevision and found them much better than the Led bulbs.
The stock bulbs in the Compass are Sylvania LL (Long Life) which don't have good light output as they are optimised for long life. The Philips Xtremevisions have at least 50% higher light output and the light is whiter. Anyone looking for a low cost upgrade to headlights without voiding warranty should take this route instead of Leds.
Please share how much it costed, for the Philips extreme vision bulbs? I know that the projector headlights, come with only one bulb, but I am not aware whether its a H11 / 9005. Did you get them changed at the dealer like you did the LED bulb replacement or did you get it done outside?

I have not searched for these bulbs in the market yet, but the dealer said that he doesn't have stock of it and won't do any change apart from the OEM bulbs.
Old 26th December 2017, 11:03   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnuk View Post
Please share how much it costed, for the Philips extreme vision bulbs? I know that the projector headlights, come with only one bulb, but I am not aware whether its a H11 / 9005. Did you get them changed at the dealer like you did the LED bulb replacement or did you get it done outside?

I have not searched for these bulbs in the market yet, but the dealer said that he doesn't have stock of it and won't do any change apart from the OEM bulbs.
The Bulbs cost 600 per bulb and I got mine from Amazon :
Philips HB3 9005 X-treme Vision Headlight Bulb (12V, 65W) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00NAZJTFE/..._s5DqAbPKX9VM6
(This is one bulb and you need to order two of these)
The bulb type is 9005 which is the main bulb in the Longitude and Limited variants in the Projector assembly.
I changed the bulbs myself as I am quite hands on and like to do basic things myself. I must warn you that the Bulb replacement on the Compass is quite complex and you need to open the wheel liners and there is very little space inside to access!
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 11:28   #89
BHPian

Quote:
The car was taken under our Company lease program through Clix and though it take a 10 day process of follow up with them to get the car registered in their system and do the process with the dealership, it was overall smoothn)
Slightly OT: Hi Behemoth, a friend of mine bought his vehicle on company lease in the same time window as you did - right before the GST price hike. His leasing company has informed him that the EMI will now increase in the tune of raised tax component post new GST rates - their argument being "EMI calculation is transparent with respect to applicable tax rate and its dynamism at the time of EMI payment; any change in tax rates will be reflected in EMI as well".

I wished to know if there's some merit in their argument - did you also get such information from your leasing company, communicating hike in the EMIs?
Old 26th December 2017, 11:34   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
Slightly OT: Hi Behemoth, a friend of mine bought his vehicle on company lease in the same time window as you did - right before the GST price hike. His leasing company has informed him that the EMI will now increase in the tune of raised tax component post new GST rates - their argument being "EMI calculation is transparent with respect to applicable tax rate and its dynamism at the time of EMI payment; any change in tax rates will be reflected in EMI as well".

I wished to know if there's some merit in their argument - did you also get such information from your leasing company, communicating hike in the EMIs?
Yes that is correct. Once the cess came in play, it became applicable on the EMI too and the GST rate went up from 43% to 50% irrespective of the GST paid on vehicle purchase having been paid at 43% only. My EMI payout also increased by 6k due to this. The government really leaves no stone unturned to make tax payers like us suffer!
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed