Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2017, 00:19   #16
BHPian

re: My 2017 Jaguar XF 25t : Now Stage 2 with 306 BHP on tap!

Just a quick update guys, the car has done around 5000 kms till now and just sent it back to the workshop due to slight vibrations felt in "D" mode at idle. Its a slight vibration felt inside the cabin when the vehicle is stopped at idle with brake blessed in "D" mode and didn't notice it until a friend pointed it out and since then its stuck in my head. I'm mostly shuffling between 740 and this and Creta these days in Mumbai and I'd be define the noise at idle to be atleast 70% that of Creta (Diesel) at idle (at normal and high speeds its still refined to the core).... Not really sure whats the issue, I sent the car to the workshop and they said that the spark plugs were slightly dirty and cleaned them free-of-charge but I was still not satisfied as this was a 75L petrol car so wrote to JLR and they are sending their senior technician to have a look at the car on Monday / Tuesday. Really impressed by how promptly JLR took a call on sending someone from their head office to have a look at the car and was also impressed by the management team at the dealership, it was dealer's technician who couldn't find out the problem but now fingers crossed.

Other then this; happened to drag this car against the new G30 530i and mighty impressed by the way it performed (and sounded!) against its Bavarian counterpart. Only if this gets sorted this car is a keeper and even the support from the company is very good but but but this vibration at idle...if only.
My 2017 Jaguar XF 25t : Now Stage 2 with 306 BHP on tap!-img_0691.jpg

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 15th October 2017 at 00:27.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 02:28   #17
BHPian

Engine vibrations in a new 75L petrol car

What could be the reason for vibrations felt inside the cabin at the front foot wells and steering wheel every time while the vehicle is stationary in D or R mode with brake pedal being pressed. I got the mounts checked and it’s fine. The service centre reprogrammed the ECM and still the issue persists. When insisted further the service folks said that it’s an old 4 cyl engine so it’ll be there and as a goodwill gesture replaced the engine mounts even though they were fine. Still the issue. I’m not really buying the old engine excuse as the car is super refined as it could be in N and P mode but in D and R it’s like the first generation BMW X1 Diesel engine. What could be the reason folks? Really frustrating lately.... The car is a modern 2017 automatic Jag with ZF8 transmission and ford sourced 240 ps ecoboost engine
Old 21st November 2017, 07:02   #18
BHPian

Re: Engine vibrations in a new 75L petrol car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
What could be the reason for vibrations felt inside the cabin at the front foot wells and steering wheel every time while the vehicle is stationary in D or R mode with brake pedal being pressed

.The car is a modern 2017 automatic Jag with ZF8 transmission and ford sourced 240 ps ecoboost engine
If the car is ok in P/N and not so in D/R, my suspicion would be the clutch. As a good practice, it is better not to keep the car in D/R with the brake pedal depressed. In this case, the engine wants to move the car and the brakes don't permit it, the clutch is caught in this tug-o-war.
Old 21st November 2017, 07:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
...the car is super refined as it could be in N and P mode but in D and R it’s like the first generation BMW X1 Diesel engine...
If the car is in D with brake pedal pressed, the engine wants to move the car forward while brakes won't let it. A bit like trying to drive a shift stick with the hand brake pulled. It will eventually make the engine mountings snap.

Suggest shifting into N as soon as the car comes to a stop and shifting to D only when you are ready to move.
Old 21st November 2017, 10:07   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
If the car is ok in P/N and not so in D/R, my suspicion would be the clutch. As a good practice, it is better not to keep the car in D/R with the brake pedal depressed. In this case, the engine wants to move the car and the brakes don't permit it, the clutch is caught in this tug-o-war.
The ZF8 trans has a torque converter. I think Adisinghs car is too new for any transmission related issues.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 10:15   #21
Team-BHP Support

I think he should first checkout for these vibrations in a brand new car and thereafter on an another used car. Maybe engine RPM’s are different at Neutral and when in Gear and it’s just characteristics of the engine.
Old 21st November 2017, 12:29   #22
BHPian

Congratulation Aditya on getting a mean machine. IMO Jaguars always had that stately presence when on street. The car in white especially looks ravishing.

One quick thing, am I the only one to feel or is it because of the angle of photos, I found the centre console more titled towards the co-passenger rather than the driver. Am I seeing it wrong, or is it that way.

If it is that way, then considering our environment, does the glare on the screen bother you as a driver? And does the viewing angle hamper the visibility of the screen in broad daylight?

Here's wishing you happy miles, would be following your thread for further updates.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 14:38   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
If the car is in D with brake pedal pressed, the engine wants to move the car forward while brakes won't let it. A bit like trying to drive a shift stick with the hand brake pulled. It will eventually make the engine mountings snap.

Suggest shifting into N as soon as the car comes to a stop and shifting to D only when you are ready to move.
That is just not how people drive AT cars in, for instance, stop-start traffic, which is, for some, one of the major advantages of AT.

I have not driven an auto transmission car for twelve years. I think that some now have anti-creep mechanisms, ie you have to accelerate, not just release the footbrake. Back in the day when I did drive such cars, creep made for one-foot driving in slow London traffic: simply, apply and release footbrake.

The should I change to N, for example, at traffic signals discussion is probably as old as auto gearboxes. Like aluminium cooking pans, the dogma keeps changing. I don't know the current one.

Bottom line is that auto transmissions, especially in luxury cars, should provide a combination of performance and driving we don't even have to think about. Like... automatic, right?
Old 21st November 2017, 15:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...should provide a combination of performance and driving we don't even have to think about. Like... automatic, right?
I agree, however, we need to look at the underlying technology as well. What you say would work like a dream for a CVT as there is no clutch, so you can just release the brake and go. For the auto-clutch variety however, there is still a clutch to be pressed, the machine presses it for you. So there will always be a changeover speed where either gear would make sense. The jerk would be defined by how good/bad the ECU is and how fast the gear changes over.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 15:42   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

There's torque converters too, which both my autos had. Can't say I like them, they soak up the power, but they do work.

Anyway, solving the problems is what we are paying for, and the more we pay...

But, it's an imperfect world.
Old 21st November 2017, 21:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I think he should first checkout for these vibrations in a brand new car and thereafter on an another used car. Maybe engine RPM’s are different at Neutral and when in Gear and it’s just characteristics of the engine.
Engine RPM is the same. It just feels like more load in idle.

Quote:
That is just not how people drive AT cars in, for instance, stop-start traffic, which is, for some, one of the major advantages of AT.

I have not driven an auto transmission car for twelve years. I think that some now have anti-creep mechanisms, ie you have to accelerate, not just release the footbrake. Back in the day when I did drive such cars, creep made for one-foot driving in slow London traffic: simply, apply and release footbrake.

The should I change to N, for example, at traffic signals discussion is probably as old as auto gearboxes. Like aluminium cooking pans, the dogma keeps changing. I don't know the current one.

Bottom line is that auto transmissions, especially in luxury cars, should provide a combination of performance and driving we don't even have to think about. Like... automatic, right?
Quote:
I agree, however, we need to look at the underlying technology as well. What you say would work like a dream for a CVT as there is no clutch, so you can just release the brake and go. For the auto-clutch variety however, there is still a clutch to be pressed, the machine presses it for you. So there will always be a changeover speed where either gear would make sense. The jerk would be defined by how good/bad the ECU is and how fast the gear changes over.
Quote:
There's torque converters too, which both my autos had. Can't say I like them, they soak up the power, but they do work.

Anyway, solving the problems is what we are paying for, and the more we pay...

But, it's an imperfect world.
Well JLR India has been prompt enough to escalate the matter to their senior technical manager for western region as the car is in Mumbai. He's trying to figure out whats the problem as other than this violent diesel like vibration in D and R mode with brake pressed there seems to be no issues whatsover. Almost as smooth as my 7 series petrol in P and N mode. No issues while driving. Normal fuel economy. Just that in D and R mode real time vibrations are felt and if noticed carefully in these mode even the exhaust tips vibrates.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 22:13   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Engine RPM is the same. It just feels like more load in idle.
I noticed, even a brand new 730D has more vibrations when shifted to Drive mode. I could not see any change in RPM's either but it definitely feels different

Did you get the chance to check other similar cars? I think all will behave similarly.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st November 2017 at 22:15.
Old 2nd January 2018, 18:25   #28
BHPian

@adisinghv12 did the car come with optional incontrol apps? This feature according to the pdf on jag site mentions that ckd units come standard with this incontrol apps where as the cbu unit spec sheet mention it as optional.
I am getting a used cbu unit and the owner is unsure of it.

Last edited by aviral2122 : 2nd January 2018 at 18:40.
Old 2nd January 2018, 21:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I noticed, even a brand new 730D has more vibrations when shifted to Drive mode. I could not see any change in RPM's either but it definitely feels different

Did you get the chance to check other similar cars? I think all will behave similarly.
I compared it with my 7 and X1 and both have slightly less of it in comparison to this
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
@adisinghv12 did the car come with optional incontrol apps? This feature according to the pdf on jag site mentions that ckd units come standard with this incontrol apps where as the cbu unit spec sheet mention it as optional.
I am getting a used cbu unit and the owner is unsure of it.
Mine had standard InControl apps but this one's a top-end Portfolio. What variant you getting?
Old 2nd January 2018, 22:51   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the information!
I am getting a portfolio. Same as yours a CBU unit.
Any other specific input you would like to give with respect to car in the past many months of usage, any issues or niggles apart from the ones you've mentioned already.

What happened to the vibration issue?
Did it sort out, if yes then how? And if not what did the JLR tech say?
Thanks.

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd January 2018 at 10:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks