Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th September 2017, 18:07   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Review: My Red Volkswagen Polo 1.8L GTI

Abhinash Nanda: Congratulations on getting home the hottest hatch available in that price bracket. I am a big fan of hot hatches as they are practical for city use and have loads to power that can shame cars from higher segments , when we want . The GTI competes with the Mini which is priced much higher. So from that outlook, the GTI is a steal (after the price revision) . Of course the Mini is a eye candy but for an enthusiast its the heart that matters the most.

Can you pen down your experience with the paddle shifters specially on ghats? I hope you are able to hold higher RPMs in manual mode.

The boot looks huge when compared to the normal Polo.

Hope you have a great time owning one of the 99 GTIs in India.

Last edited by Waspune : 26th September 2017 at 18:09.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 12:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Can you pen down your experience with the paddle shifters specially on ghats? I hope you are able to hold higher RPMs in manual mode.
First of all thank you very much Sir for your compliments. I have not got a chance to take it to Ghat section as of now because of personal commitments and festive season. But planning to take it after Diwali, will for sure let you know how the car behaves with paddle shifters.

Best regards, Abinash
abinashnanda is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2017, 23:59   #18
BHPian

Hi Abhinash

Was it your GTI that I spotted on the golf course road last week? I was in a purple Fiesta.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2017, 12:09   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Hi Abhinash

Was it your GTI that I spotted on the golf course road last week? I was in a purple Fiesta.
It might be the case, my office is on Golf Course Road. For easy identification now I have put Team-BHP stickers on my car
Review: My Red Volkswagen Polo 1.8L GTI-a9dd2958f8bb49f391bd1d03372936ca.jpeg

Last edited by abinashnanda : 29th September 2017 at 12:18.
abinashnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2017, 12:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! I own the GT TSI and love it for the turbo petrol engine and the DSG. What spoils the party in GT TSI are the poor headlamps, poor brakes and lack of power (compared to 1.8 TSi). I see from your posts that brakes are awesome. High beam is good, power is not a question anymore. So all 3 issues resolved

Can you share the real life experience of the XDS+ diff? Does it really reduce under steering on fast corners? And does it reduce wheel spin and torque steer on fast acceleration from stand-still?

One other curiosity I have is - how planted does it feel on highways when you go over patchy/broken tar sections and oblique bumps? The GT TSI gets tossed away and thrown off too badly on such sections, whereas my Laura TSi remains well planted.

After the price reduction, a thought crosses my mind to swap my GT TSI with the GTI but only if all the short comings are resolved!

Wishing you kilometers and kilometers of fun in the GTI
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2017, 17:22   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Congratulations! I own the GT TSI and love it for the turbo petrol engine and the DSG. What spoils the party in GT TSI are the poor headlamps, poor brakes and lack of power (compared to 1.8 TSi). I see from your posts that brakes are awesome. High beam is good, power is not a question anymore. So all 3 issues resolved
I hope I can take the liberty of replying since I have owned the Laura TSI in the past and currently own the GT TSI and the GTI .

THe GTI is very different from the GT TSI and the three attributes that you've mentioned are not an issue in the GTI. In fact I would add a fourth area which spoils the party in the GT TSI : Soft suspension.

Quote:
Can you share the real life experience of the XDS+ diff? Does it really reduce under steering on fast corners? And does it reduce wheel spin and torque steer on fast acceleration from stand-still?
My GTI is less than a month old and I haven't driven it out of BLR city yet. But I have done some spirited drives on Sunday mornings and pushed the car on some fast curves and have felt the XDS working. I purposely entered a corner, rather a curve, too fast and turned the steering on a seemingly impossible line hoping to get some understeer. But the car hung on and just as it was about to understeer, the electronics did something and the car was able to take that line. It supposedly brakes the inner wheels when it detects understeer. Looks like its quite effective.

Quote:
One other curiosity I have is - how planted does it feel on highways when you go over patchy/broken tar sections and oblique bumps? The GT TSI gets tossed away and thrown off too badly on such sections, whereas my Laura TSi remains well planted.
As I said before the suspension on the GTI is very different from the GT TSI. THe GT TSI is too soft , so you get a lot of rebound when you encounter up and down roads which makes you slow down. But it absorbs broken tarmac quite well. The GTI is quite stiff and also a bit lower. The stiff suspension can make the ride bit too busy on bad roads. The GTI has amazing grip and composure on smooth tarmac, but on broken roads you will get tossed around a bit unless you slow down or speed up . If the road has deep cuts and potholes you really have to slow down to a crawl, else you are sure to bust the tyre/ alloy/ suspension. The Polo's shorter wheelbase doesn't allow it to stay as planted as the Laura. But the light weight + stiff suspension + 1.8 TSI power + Fast DSG make it a very very potent machine.

Another thing I'd like to add is that the 7 speed DSG , though same on paper for the GT TSI and GTI, feels very different in the GTI.
Santoshbhat is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2017, 20:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Santosh.

Good to hear that GTI is as fun to drive on road as it seems on paper! And just as I keep contemplating getting one, I see Tata Motors gets govt contract for 10000 EVs.

Oh man, it seems the end is coming sooner than we all had thought! Now there are 2 ways to look at this -
1. Wait till the switch over to EV happens as every small hatchback in EV world will claim 0-100 in 10sec!
OR
2. Grab that lusty TSI (GTI/VRS) before they disappear!!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2017, 23:54   #23
BHPian

Hi, I think I spotted you today. I was in the purple modded fiesta on golf course road, your cars beautiful and the exhuast note is lovely.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 21:18   #24
BHPian

Is it wise to go for a 25k driven 2017 GTI.? How much price should be reasonable? It is definitely off topic but I have no where else to ask other than here in a gti thread

Last edited by sandygordon : 4th June 2019 at 21:43.
sandygordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2019, 17:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Is it wise to go for a 25k driven 2017 GTI.? How much price should be reasonable? It is definitely off topic but I have no where else to ask other than here in a gti thread
If the car is driven sanely then why not. I see 2 challenges with finding a good used GTI:
1. The prices dropped significantly towards December 2017. So those who bought in early 2017 paid way more and hence would look for a higher resale price than those who bought late.
2. Many of the GTIs are with college kids or youngsters in their early twenties - who have been crazily modifying the car and/or driving it hard. Even though the GTI brand is meant for driving hard, if I am in the market, I would prefer one that's owned by someone a little mature (someone who bought the car with his own hard earned money, rather than from his parents' money). No offence to any youngsters, it's just that there will likely be an inverse correlation between the health of the car and age of the owner and you will have to account for it in the future maintenance.

Of course, if you are a youngster yourself, then point #2 is irrelevant

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2019, 13:53   #26

Sir, it was my pleasure to spot your GTI and have a chat with you over this weekend. If possible, please update the page with the latest details on your ownership. We all love the GTIs and would want to hear more about them.
Akshay2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2019, 13:18   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay2010 View Post
Sir, it was my pleasure to spot your GTI and have a chat with you over this weekend. If possible, please update the page with the latest details on your ownership. We all love the GTIs and would want to hear more about them.
Hello Akshay, My car is due for it's 3 rd service in August. Will post a long term ownership review after the service, and by then the car should be clocking close to 40000 KM.

Happy Motoring, Abinash
abinashnanda is offline   Reply With Quote