Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2018, 13:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar

Congrats on those gorgeous cars. I love Volvo cars and know their build quality well (since my dad used to drive an 850r when i was in school.) If ever i was to buy one of these premium cars, id surely check Volvo first.

The polestar is definitely a beast. Am yet to see one in person but the regular s60 is stared at shamelessly whenever i spot one on road. Enjoy the rides.

Cheers.
naturaldisaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 09:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Slowly but surely, with threads like your's and v.narayan's, I'm being pulled towards the Volvos - when I can afford one. Safety and build quality behind the primary reason. Hopefully, by then, the dealer network would have spread and they would have started pricing the cars sensibly.

Really nice review of the buying process - keep it updated with the service and maintenance experiences as well.

BTW, was the Polestar in Manipal a few weeks back?
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 16:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecar View Post
Any idea on how the after sales is compared to the three Germans?
XC90 is fairly cheap compared to the cost of the car. Regular service ie without brake pads costs about 20K ~ 25K. Front brake pads cost 12K and rear pads cost 9K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Is this correct way of calculation? I find it very strange and almost unbelievable that Polestar is just 22L for Volvo! Can someone throw some light on this
The calculation was for XC90 and not polestar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

When you say the scrolling lags a bit when looking through your music directory, is this only for flac content or just about everything? If there is a search function, might be easier to get to where you want. Also; the voice control may also be a better way to get to the artist or song you want. If not Indian artist names, it should easily recognise International artists/track names.
It lags for everything, voice control does not recognize Indian names or accent.

Quote:

Kinda odd that an R edition, which suggests sporty intentions does away with HUD.
Sadly it is omitted from the Indian spec car and cannot be installed at service center.

Quote:
Mighty impressed by the power pulse system. Never heard of anything like it. More than serve a heavy load scenario, this can actually eliminate or reduce turbo lag. Sounds more like a feature the S60 should have. The 2l diesel on the R Edition is supposed to be Polestar Optimized. You might never pop the hood on your car. When you do, will be good to see the placement of this compressed air cylinder and the plumbing around it, that is, if any of it is visible.
It sits near the bumper and power pulse does not do much in reality. I have seen it real in my car when service advisor removed the bumper check some hose connecting to the power pulse canister. The canister is not more than the size of a 1L water bottle, it stores compressed cold air, sends it to the turbo (Volvo D5 engines have 2 turbo's in sequential) when the throttle is depressed hard and turbo's have not kicked in yet. The canister is filled when the engine is above certain RPM.

Quote:
Does the seat belt have "SINCE 1959" inscribed on it?
Yes, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
BTW, was the Polestar in Manipal a few weeks back?
Yes it was but a few months back, cousin had taken it there.

Last edited by mjumrani : 3rd February 2018 at 16:27. Reason: More information.
mjumrani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 23:11   #19
BANNED

Congrats mjumrani on your new rides.
Wish you a safe and wonderful journeys ahead!!!
Looking forward towards your ownership review for Volvo XC90.

Dev
Old 5th February 2018, 13:06   #20
BHPian

Congrats mjumrani on two beauties. Here's hoping for many miles of trouble free, safe, comfortable journeys. Enjoy the cars and do share your ownership experience from time to time .
Old 5th February 2018, 15:39   #21
BHPian

Polestar front RHS tyre suffered a side wall damage in November while cousin was travelling from Bangalore to Anantapur, exact reason for damage is unknown . The size of spare is 125/80/R18 which does not fit in the front due to the size of brake pads. I told cousin to swap the rear RHS to the front RHS and install the spare to the rear RHS. The car was driven back to Volvo service center in Bangalore at a maximum speed of 40kmph. The drive took whopping 6 hours which otherwise takes 2.5 hours. I spoke to Nikhil about the replacement tyre to which he said it is not available in market and it would be best to buy from Volvo itself.

Polestar insurance is from Reliance which also covers tyre damage, made a claim same day which was duly approved after 7 days. A new tyre costs 44,000/- including taxes out of which insurance covered 70% and i had to pay 13,000/- from my pocket. The only saving grace is that alloy was not damaged which otherwise would have been a major disaster. I do not have any pics as of now to show the tyre damage.

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-3.jpg

Polestar was sent for its 1st service in 4th week of December as it had crossed 11,000kms in 5 months. I was praying not to hear anything about the brake pads while dropping it for service but my worst fears came true, the front brake pads were worn out and replacement pads cost 44,000/- . Volvo took 2 days for service and gave it back with a bill of 66,500/-.

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-1.jpg

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-2.jpg
mjumrani is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 16:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience, very helpful. Driving at max 40 kmph for 6 hours can be crazy! Rs44K for brakes is not too bad but having to change them at every 10K km can be a handful. Maybe the initial days of driving a new car aggressively. Rs 44K for R18 tire is a bit steep but I guess if you buy from the dealer that's what it will cost. What is the tire make and profile?

I have a question on XC90. Would you be able to tell the difference between R-design seats vs the regular seats?
Old 5th February 2018, 17:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Rs 44K for R18 tire is a bit steep but I guess if you buy from the dealer that's what it will cost. What is the tire make and profile?
44K is not for the spare tyre. It's for the 245/35/R20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Quote:
I have a question on XC90. Would you be able to tell the difference between R-design seats vs the regular seats?
Yes , it's easy to differentiate. R Design seats come with extra bolster support and black leather with white stitching whereas momentum / inscription / excellence variants of the XC90 don't.

Last edited by mjumrani : 5th February 2018 at 17:49. Reason: Typo.
mjumrani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 12:27   #24
BHPian

XC90 R-Design is the sport model but it does not look aggressive enough to me, so spoke a friend about the same and decided to plastidip a few parts such as ORVM covers, rear logo, rear bumper diffuser and the antenna stub. I got it done at Flaunturkuler in Bangalore who is authorized importer and distributor for Plastidip in India.

Here are the pics of work in progress.
Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-wip1.jpg

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-wip2.jpg

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-wip3.jpg

Pics of the car after plastidip
Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-plastidip-1.jpg

Debadged the car with the exception of R Design badge.
Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-plastidip-2.jpg

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-plastidip-3.jpg

A close look at the ORVM
Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-plastidip-4.jpg

Antenna Stub
Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-plastidip-5.jpg

It took 1 full day just to mask the car and another day to spray plastidip on the parts and a top coat called 2K on plastidip which hardens it. Mr Ullas, the owner of Flaunturkuler did a fabulous job and i am super happy with how the car looks now.

Total cost was 5500/-

PS: I am not affiliated to Flaunturkuler or Ullas. I have ZERO commercial interest in his business.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th February 2018 at 17:36. Reason: As requested
mjumrani is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 11:49   #25
BHPian

Dear Mjumrani,

Heartiest Congratulations on acquiring 2 beasts they are looking awesome. The S60 Polestar looks gorgeous in blue shade.

The plastidip done in the XC looks awesome too. Enjoy both the cars to the fullest.
N4Nikunj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 15:09   #26
BHPian

XC90 had completed 9800 kms and was due for 1st Service. The new service is center is located in Dommasandra which is about 40 kms from where i live, it's practically not possible me to go or send driver just for service. Volvo does provide free pick and drop of car for service.

The car was picked up on Wednesday morning and delivered back at my place just now. The turnaround time for service is impressive. No niggles faced till now. The charges for first service is Rs 20,483/- .

Polestar is due for its next service which is the 20,000kms one.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-1.jpg  

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-2.jpg  

Last edited by mjumrani : 19th April 2018 at 15:26. Reason: Fixed typo.
mjumrani is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 12:11   #27
BHPian

Finally got the car detailed by my friend Sunnyboi. I had imported imported Optimum Gloss-Coat about 6 months back and it was with Sunny since then. It took him about 3 days to detail the car due to its sheer size. I am happy with the outcome .
Attached Thumbnails
Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-detailed-1.jpg  

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-detailed-2.jpg  

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-detailed-3.jpg  

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-detailed-4.jpg  

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-detailed-5.jpg  

mjumrani is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 14:43   #28
BHPian

This just happened to the Polestar in Chennai .

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-polestar-accident-1.jpg

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-polestar-accident-2.jpg

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-polestar-accident-3.jpg

Garage overhaul from Torslandaverken - My Volvo XC90 and S60 Polestar-polestar-accident-4.jpg

Cousin had moved to Chennai for a couple of months, he says while driving out of apartment complex banged into a small divider which was built overnight in the driveway. I have asked him to drive to Artemis Volvo if possible or take it on a flatbed.

The car is due for service and now this. The quotation for service stands at 2.58L as the rear tyres & rear brake pads need to be replaced.
mjumrani is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 20:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

That is terrible! Its really tough to see the car in that condition! It appears the entire running board is gone. Alloys seem to have taken some damage too.

This is gonna be hard on the pocket!
Old 26th June 2018, 21:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
This just happened to the Polestar in Chennai .

The car is due for service and now this. The quotation for service stands at 2.58L as the rear tyres & rear brake pads need to be replaced.
How much out of 2.58L is regular service?I understand 2.58 is what you'd pay inclusive of bodywork.Are they replacing the affected portion or is it a repair?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks