Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 23:50   #16
BHPian

Re: My BMW 530i (G30)!

Congratulations!

I love the fact that you bought a petrol. BMW brings more smiles in petrol me thinks. Plus the fact that it's not with the veneer finish and Black!

The interiors look awesome.

Wishing you lots of smiles and thrills with the car.
Old 12th September 2017, 08:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Tamil Nadu market for luxury cars is so heavily diesel dominated, even after spending 60+ lacs on a car, people here worry about mileage and re-sale value more than anything else.
I guess it is the same story in most parts of our country. We love mileage. However; as you say, for someone willing to blow big bucks on a car like this, the cost of fuel should be the least of your problems.

I would say that Europe and the UK was swaying heavily towards diesel before the scandal had come to light. Everybody loved the savings though you did end up paying some other extra component by means of taxes for running a diesel car. The up front saving at the fuel bunk was more attractive. Can't deny resale too.

What I can't digest is the fuss around economy. I am not sure if this still applies. We are willing to commit (on a loan) or cough up over a lac on a diesel car for feel good factor at the gas station. There are cases where you stand to benefit from a diesel car. For the most part, a petrol gets the job done very well.

Quote:
Also, eliminated the Compass form the consideration set after a quick look at the interiors, which were barely larger than the Ecosport and had a boring and lackluster design and finish, hardly evoking a premium experience compared to the Ecosport.
Hmm. I have not seen the Jeep in person. From pictures, it looks a lot better (Premium) on interior appointments. I don't know how they can be compared but this is a personal opinion so I leave it at that.

Quote:
My colleague just bought a brand new Passat powered by the 1.4 TSI engine and was singing praises of the smoothness and punch such a small engine delivered.
Small turbo petrol engines are indeed the way forward. They combine the best of both worlds, power and efficiency. A balance needs to be made though. Going too small and slapping on a turbo make little sense.

A point I will add is that a big NA petrol still adds an element of thrill that little turbos can match. It is that ease to rev and effortless manner in power delivery that makes the difference.

Quote:
I have a keen interest in cars that are great looking, technologically advanced and are world cars
I can live without a few toys. For me the priority are the looks and what goes under the hood.

Quote:
I did not opt for BSI or RSI yet, planning to go for it later.
I highly recommend this for your car. Considering what the coverage is, it costs nothing and is effectively a second layer of insurance directly from the manufacturer.

Quote:
A very interesting feature is the active stream kidney grill.
Noticed this on one of the newer Maserati cars too.

Quote:
The engine is placed quite a bit to the back of the bay and only partly visible.
BMW have been doing this for decades. Does a lot for weight dsitribution and this eventually translates to better on road experience for the driver.

Quote:
I found the PDC to be too safe, i.e., it starts to beep loudly and show red even if you are about 9 inches from the wall or an obstruction.
For a car like this, 9 inches is close enough.

Quote:
Literally everything can be operated through the touch function on screen, but the iDRIVE controller and associated buttons have been retained, probably due to the fact that this is an easier and safer way to operate the system while the car is in motion than to use the touchscreen.
The iDrive is without doubt the most intuitive media system available(Comments from Tesla, Volvo owners?).Even if you end uo using the buttons, it is all very logical in function. System integration is superb.

It is strange that CarPlay and Android Auto are still unavailable.

Quote:
The sad part is, petrol buyers do not even have an option to go to the Luxury Line of the M-Sport, which seems highly illogical.
I am wondering if an email to BMW would have helped. They really do go out of the way to please the customer, especially when it comes to sales. I am sure they would have accommodated your request. After all, it is not a major mechanical upgrade.

Quote:
So 140 KPH has become my steady highway cruising speed with the BMW.
Thats the beauty of these high end cars. They cocoon you from the outside world. NVH engineering is top notch.

On the stereo, I have heard the Harman Kardon that comes with the M Sport 530D and did not think too much of it either. For the techno audience, it is fantastic.

The 5 series is an iconic car. A shape that can never age for the car lover. With every new release, BMW try all sorts of things but the character of it being a BMW isn't lost. One look at the sharp snout and it is all you need to get more blood pumping through your veins.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 12th September 2017 at 08:43.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 08:48   #18
BHPian

I wish BMW India launches a m sport variant for this petrol engine soon. I am eagerly waiting for that. It needs the auto park and other m kit. I know you say it's gimmicky but I have a tricky parking situation where the auto park would help immensely. Congratulations on the car. Looks best in blue I feel with the brown will be my option as well. Cmon BMW India give us the m sport petrol.
Old 12th September 2017, 09:04   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on buying a brilliant car. Whenever I think, what can be an ideal upgrade when I plan to change my car 3-4 years down the line, it is only the 5 series that comes to my mind.

It truly amazes me how BMW generations after generations have got this car right, whether it is the driver ergonomics, or driving pleasure or features or power. Everything is just right.

Congratulations once again, and drive safe.

PS- Talking about petrol, I am a big fan of petrol too, love the way the engines are silent. Earlier generation diesel powered units had a lot of grunt, however, the current generation turbo charged petrol engines are able to give diesel units a run for their money. I love the way my Octavia 1.8 tsi disseminates everybody on the road, at a flick of a command to the accelerator pedal, she just flies. The diesel 2.0 TDI Octavia just does not come anywhere close to what the Tsi offers in terms of power and road dynamics.
sawnilrules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 09:27   #20
BANNED

Re: On the Road

Quote:
The previous generation 5 series had a rough road suspension package and I hope the current one also has this, although I am not sure since the specification sheet does not call this out.
Congratulations on buying a great car and a HUGE upgrade....!!!

The new 5 also has the rough road package but it is now thinner plastic and felt sheets than earlier. It would be wise enough to get a custom made aluminium underbody shield made and fitted underneath it for added practicality on our roads.

PS: When I spoke to someone at the local dealership about the reason for lightening the underbody protection, I was told "It was too heavy for our technicians to remove and refit it at every oil service Saar..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
I love the way my Octavia 1.8 tsi disseminates everybody on the road, at a flick of a command to the accelerator pedal, she just flies. The diesel 2.0 TDI Octavia just does not come anywhere close to what the Tsi offers in terms of power and road dynamics.
You stole the words right out of my mouth Sawnil...!!!

Last edited by n.devdath : 12th September 2017 at 09:28.
Old 12th September 2017, 10:45   #21
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the stunning new G30. That too with the beautiful turbo petrol. Its a great package, with features and a powerful engine and of course a good price. Hope you enjoy it to the fullest!

BTW moving the gearstick to the left, puts it in sports mode until you move it up or down to select a gear post which it is then in manual mode. So until you actually use it to change a gear it is in a sports mode for the drivetrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Cmon BMW India give us the m sport petrol.
If just for the M sport kit, and auto park why not just buy the current one and retrofit?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 10:57   #22
BHPian

Congratulations buddy, great buy and timing too, you actually reaped in the benefits of the GST price reduction.
Do plan to get the extended warranty, even if you don't put for the BSI.
Old 12th September 2017, 10:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post

If just for the M sport kit, and auto park why not just buy the current one and retrofit?

It's on order but still would want the 530d type spec to go into the 530i rather than retrofitting components outside.
Old 12th September 2017, 11:46   #24
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car - it truly is an awesome car and your ownership report is superb.

If i lived in the plains, i think i too would have waited and saved & saved till i could afford to buy the new generation BMW 5 series.

I'm happy with the Tiguan and it's quite well suited to the rough and tumble of our poor Hill roads - but a car is still a car in terms of comfort, speed and the pure thrill of fast driving.
Old 12th September 2017, 12:48   #25
BHPian

Congratulations on your new drive, that’s a great upgrade from a humble Ecosport. The best decision was to go in for the Petrol, since it’s only a matter of time before diesel becomes history. Happy Motoring.
Old 12th September 2017, 12:55   #26
BHPian

Congratulations on the car. What a beast!!

And going from the EcoSport to this legend of a car, that's one humongous leap. Well done. I know how the Tiguan helped make up your mind about the moving a couple of segments above as it's done the same for me .

Wish you a safe, enjoyable, trouble free ownership experience and look forward to posts from you on the long term ownership experience of this magnificent machine.
Old 12th September 2017, 14:18   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Everyone for your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The really nice thing about this petrol engine is that you will enjoy it both in slow city traffic and on highways.

Some unsolicited advice
Take full warranty and insurance coverage and skip service package if it's an option.

Don't put mud flaps, spoils the look. Drive gently on bad patches to avoid developing rattles.
Very good tips, I am certainly asking for a quote on the extended warranty. And yes, being careful about the rough patches, at least as of now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

The colour choice is brilliant as well, and the car surely deserves better pictures. Waiting for more.
Thanks, will definitely put up some more pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I remember driving the previous generation 5 series and it had an electrically adjustable steering which moved upwards when the engine was shut off or unlocked. It would go back into its normal position when the engine was switched on.

Also in EcoPro and Comfort mode the car coasts to improve mileage. Looks like the new 5 coast is so great it feels like it isn't there at all. I've only experienced coasting in a BMW over longer distances and not happening in city driving.

If you ever decide to switch to tubeless tires you'll be amazed!
You are right on all counts. I found that the steering nowadays does move up down once seated and the engine started. I don't know what I did to change this setting, will have to study the manual a bit. It has now become a lot more convenient to get in and out and I also have better visibility of the full instrument cluster including the instantaneous mileage indicator now.

You are also right about the engine coasting when decelerating rather than gettign cut off. It coasts so quietly but you can still see it is running from the RPM Gauge in Comfort Mode. I will certainly consider tubeless tires when it comes time for the first replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by br_876 View Post
Congratulations. The car and especially the interiors looks awesome. I am surprised that it looks small. Almost like a 3?!! I think it must be bigger in flesh.
It is certainly quite big for me, since I have no driven long cars in a while. At close to 5 meters, it does take a bot of gettign used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

Small turbo petrol engines are indeed the way forward. They combine the best of both worlds, power and efficiency. A balance needs to be made though. Going too small and slapping on a turbo make little sense.

It is strange that CarPlay and Android Auto are still unavailable.

I am wondering if an email to BMW would have helped. They really do go out of the way to please the customer, especially when it comes to sales. I am sure they would have accommodated your request. After all, it is not a major mechanical upgrade.
You are spot on, I think the balance of size versus extent of turbocharging is the key, go too heavy on turbocharging with a very small engine and there seems to be too much turbo lag. I experienced this in the Ecosport's 1.0 Ecoboost, a very smart engine at highway speeds but terrible inside the city due to turbo lag.

Yes absolutely insane that they do not provide Android Auto or Apple Car Play. I hear the logic is that BMW does not want to give away the nucleus of their in-car infotainment to google or apple, they see a lot of potential in retaining control of the OS themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The new 5 also has the rough road package but it is now thinner plastic and felt sheets than earlier. It would be wise enough to get a custom made aluminum under body shield made and fitted underneath it for added practicality on our roads.
Thanks, good to know there is at least some element of protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
BTW moving the gearstick to the left, puts it in sports mode until you move it up or down to select a gear post which it is then in manual mode. So until you actually use it to change a gear it is in a sports mode for the drivetrain.
I re-checked and you are absolutely right, Akshay, it retains the sport mode and settles on whatever gear it was on and from then on when you use the paddles, it goes to manual gear mode.
Old 12th September 2017, 14:41   #28
BHPian

Congratulations on the buy! The car just looks amazing.

On the key Fob - Dont they give you an option to upgrade to the park assist function? May require some software changes as well i guess.

I unwillingly cancelled my booking for the 530D that was to deliver in December. Got the E350 CDI (W212) instead.
Old 12th September 2017, 14:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right on all counts. I found that the steering nowadays does move up down once seated and the engine started. I don't know what I did to change this setting, will have to study the manual a bit. It has now become a lot more convenient to get in and out and I also have better visibility of the full instrument cluster including the instantaneous mileage indicator now.

You are also right about the engine coasting when decelerating rather than gettign cut off. It coasts so quietly but you can still see it is running from the RPM Gauge in Comfort Mode. I will certainly consider tubeless tires when it comes time for the first replacement.
Go for the tubeless only if you have trouble with side wall bulges or ride quality because BMW would happily void your warranty if you fit non-OEM tires.

The iDrive has a great owners manual with pictures and even video, it's in Vehicle Information. But I don't remember an ability to switch off the steering function it's there and on by default. Coasting can be turned off via settings. Enjoy the drive and thanks for sharing your journey.
Old 12th September 2017, 18:35   #30
BHPian

Congratulations on the G30! It's really unfortunate that BMW doesn't offer the 530i in the M Sport trim. A trim it clearly deserves! Also, iDrive has never had support for android Auto abroad. It does support Car Play and it is the oddest thing to not include Car Play for India. I assume a software activation is all it would have taken them. Shame on BMW for that.

Still, personally, i love the G30. I had a chance to drive it (520d unfortunately all TD cars are 520ds), And i love the balance the car provides.

Most Viewed