Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2018, 20:38   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My BMW 530i (G30)!

Posting an update after a few months.

After a month or so at the workshop, the car was fully repaired and back to pristine condition. The workshop did a great job and it is hard to tell any damage happened at all. It cost a bomb (especially the LED headlamp) but the insurance company took the brunt.

The car has now covered 7000 kms. Took a couple of short drives and a long ride to the hills afterwards. It reaffirmed my belief that the car is an absolute pleasure to drive. Some observations:
  • The comfort mode is very versatile. It is able to cruise along nice and easy and when you punch the accelerator hard, the power rush comes in instantaneously.
  • The EcoPro mode is really dull to drive. There is a lot of hesitation and the drive is not smooth at all. There are dead zones all over.
  • The sport mode is not all that much faster than the Comfort mode. You can tell the difference in hilly winding roads, where there is a lot slowing and speeding up required. The sport mode shines in these sections. However, for normal highway rides, the sport mode does not give as much of a "push back in the seat" effect as one would expect. It is probably due to the fact that this is a Petrol car at the end of the day, even if it does have a respectable 350NM torque, it does not have the punch low in the rev range as a a 530D would.
  • The car is amazingly fuel efficient for a petrol engine. This aspect seems to have improved since it crossed 5000 km. During relaxed highway drives at 110 kmph, it is able to return well over 12 kmpl. Once you speed up to a higher cruising speed, the car still gives 11 kmpl.
  • Seat comfort is exemplary both front and back. I am able to emerge unscathed after 8 hour drives in this car. Even older people (like my mom) enjoy the comfort on long drives, although it is a little hard to get in due to the low set structure.
  • Cruise control is very precise and un-intrusive as well. The throttle input needed to make small speed changes (say after canceling to slow down and then re-starting immediately) is precise and the gear shifts are supremely smooth.
  • The gearbox is quite intelligent. It will not go to the high gears (say 7th and 8th) if it senses a lot of variation in speed. Only when it expects to stay in a high gear longer does it actually slot there.
  • The quality of maps is not really upto the mark. It is much harder to find street addresses compared to google maps. It is also hard to follow since the map is always oriented to the north on top rather tan the direction you are going being on top. I am sure there must be a setting to change this. The time estimates of when you arrive at the destination are also off whack. I wish BMW would completely integrate google maps in rather than try to do a customized system.
  • I have very rarely (precisely once) scraped the underbelly. The car is able to take pretty large speed breakers effortlessly. Also, the extent of loading in terms of number of passengers and luggage does not seem to matter much. This reflects the rigidity of the suspension components.
  • Seat memory setting is very convenient. Since it adjusts not only the seat positions but also the steering wheel rake a reach to the memory setting, it is easy to slip back to your comfortable position after the valet driver changes every single thing.
  • All in all, enjoying the ownership experience, the car is going to be a year old in another two months. Still feels very fresh and exciting!
Attached Thumbnails
My BMW 530i (G30)!-img_20180401_094336.jpg  

My BMW 530i (G30)!-img_20180415_133456.jpg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 19th June 2018 at 20:44.
84.monsoon is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 01:40   #47

Hi 84.monsoon, which octane petrol have you been using on your 530i? Have you experimented with different ones and observed any difference? What is the recommended octane rating?

(We should be getting our 530i soon and I just wanted to know!)
Old 21st June 2018, 08:32   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
It cost a bomb (especially the LED headlamp) but the insurance company took the brunt.
Good to see your car back in its pristine condition. How much exactly was the cost for replacement? What insurance you had? Is it zero depreciation?
Old 21st June 2018, 14:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting an update after a few months.
...[*]The quality of maps is not really upto the mark. It is much harder to find street addresses compared to google maps. It is also hard to follow since the map is always oriented to the north on top rather tan the direction you are going being on top. I am sure there must be a setting to change this. The time estimates of when you arrive at the destination are also off whack. I wish BMW would completely integrate google maps in rather than try to do a customized system.
When in map screen, Push the idrive controller to left, to see the list of menus. Scroll down to setting/orientation --> Voila!!
You can change between 2D/3D view. I always use a 3D view as it is much more human readable and straightforward. Moreso, since you use the digital instrument cluster, it is advisable to use the nav directions you get within the driver display rather than in the MAP. They are precise and does not distract you.

By the way, you can also use the split screen display to see your music or car info while having the big Map too.
AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 20:15   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernabei View Post
Hi 84.monsoon, which octane petrol have you been using on your 530i? Have you experimented with different ones and observed any difference? What is the recommended octane rating?

(We should be getting our 530i soon and I just wanted to know!)

Hi Bernie, I am using just regular petrol and it works very well. Since I do a few long distance drives and it is not always easy to get higher Octane fuel in smaller towns, I just stuck this grade of fuel. I will plan to experiment a bit in the coming months.

Congratulations on the 530i - which color are you getting?
Old 21st June 2018, 23:03   #51

Quote:
Hi Bernie, I am using just regular petrol and it works very well. Since I do a few long distance drives and it is not always easy to get higher Octane fuel in smaller towns, I just stuck this grade of fuel. I will plan to experiment a bit in the coming months.

Congratulations on the 530i - which color are you getting?
Oh okay, good to know!

We are getting bluestone metallic.

The entire decision making process (regarding the car) can be found here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...hing-else.html
Old 24th June 2018, 19:59   #52
BHPian

Re: Other Observations

Quote:
I have to do my research on BSI and Repair Inclusive Packages for maintenance and extended warranty. Ideally I would want only the extended warranty (Repair Inclusive), but I believe it cannot be purchased without some form of BSI package being bought. I will update the thread as I go on this topic.
Did you opt for the BSI and/or extended warranty? I am in the same quandary. My running so far has been 6k km in 6 months and I'm anticipating arnd 15k a year.
I have the X1 and the BSI is for 1.47 lakhs for 3yrs or 40k kms.
Old 24th June 2018, 21:54   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avior View Post
Did you opt for the BSI and/or extended warranty? I am in the same quandary. My running so far has been 6k km in 6 months and I'm anticipating arnd 15k a year.
I have the X1 and the BSI is for 1.47 lakhs for 3yrs or 40k kms.
I was in a similar situation for my 330i GT. All feedback I received (from SanthoshBhat and sky_liner) were against BSI. You can find the discussion around this post below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4403424

You can easily save 15K to 20K by not going for BSI. I still went for the minimum 3 year / 40K just for the convenience.

But BSI or not, I would definitely suggest you take the maximum extended warranty. I took the 6 year extended warranty along with the car. With the very high cost of spare parts, it is safe to have the maximum extended warranty.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 23:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
But BSI or not, I would definitely suggest you take the maximum extended warranty. I took the 6 year extended warranty along with the car. With the very high cost of spare parts, it is safe to have the maximum extended warranty.
Thanks for your opinion. Can you please elaborate a little bit about the extended warranty?
What in particular does it safeguard me against? Which spare parts are usually needed to be replaced?
Avior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 10:54   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avior View Post
Thanks for your opinion. Can you please elaborate a little bit about the extended warranty?
What in particular does it safeguard me against? Which spare parts are usually needed to be replaced?
Extended warranty covers you against manufacturing defects. The standard warranty for the car is 2 years. Within this two years any component failure is covered by BMW and parts will be replaced free of cost. Some examples: headlights, ABS sensor, AC compressor, water pump, fuel pump, window controller, battery etc.

Outside warranty, when these components fail, you will have to pay for them and usually these are very expensive. For example, the battery would cost 40K, headlights maybe 1Lakh and so on. An extended warranty will cover these failures. Warranty or extended warranty will not cover wear and tear items like tires, wiper blades etc. Also, accidental damages will not be covered by extended warranty - that will be covered by insurance.

It is always recommended to take the maximum available extended warranty, in BMW's case, it is 6 years unlimited kilometers. It is like an insurance policy against failures that arise due to manufacturing defects.

Hope this helps.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 20:37   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

First Service Experience

Did my 1st year scheduled maintenance visit a few days ago. The car had done only around 7000 kms, but the maintenance reminder was on, asking me to complete the service in August, since the car was one year old this month. The remainder is quite persistent with audible alarms every time you start the car.

I was thinking of calling the dealership to fix an appointment and the same day, received a call from them! The lady inquired about how my car was doing and then started to remind me of the first service due. I asked to make an appointment in two day's time, and this was immediately confirmed.

The day before the appointment, I received a call from the service advisor to confirm the drop time. He informed me that although pick-up and drop services are offered by BMW, since it is the first service, they recommend that I be there in person. I accepted immediately, since I love browsing cars and know the new X3 will be there and I wanted to have a look after dropping my car off.

The drop off experience was quite pleasant, I was attended to in about 10 minutes, which gave me time to walk around the check out the cars in the showroom. I had a good look at the new X3 and will post some pictures in the X3 thread. The service advisor checked the car thoroughly and took many photos, I am sure they do not want to be held liable for any per-existing scratches and dents. I was asked if I experienced any issues to be fixed. I really have not had any issues at all, the only thing I could think of having checked out was a slight clicking sound coming from the back seat when going over rough patches such as concrete strips of road or patterned/corrugated surfaces such as inside office parks. The SA promised to have it checked out. There was a monsoon free check up camp going on so it was thrown in as well, apparently it had a value of over 6K. The final bill came to 26K. It was less than what I was expecting mentally (for example, I used ot pay 10-15 K for the annual service on my old VW Polo many years ago!)

The Service Advisor set out that normally they would return the car the same day, but due to the check up they have to drive on rough roads, it might take till the next morning. I was OK with this. There were a couple of calls I received updating me on the status, which is appreciated. They finally dropped my car back the next day. It had been well cleaned and the slight rustling/clicking noise from the seat was all but gone. I took the car for a long drive today and it felt really smooth. It seemed to have become slightly more sluggish in the comfort mode, although it feels more well damped and purposeful. I will check it out over the next few days and see if the behavior changes.

Last edited by ajmat : 12th August 2018 at 23:24. Reason: minor typo
84.monsoon is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 10:28   #57
BHPian

How's the car doing ? Any updates ?
Old 6th July 2021, 12:07   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost 4 Years up on my G30 530i

The G-30 5-series is ageing well, and my car looks amazing and elegant even today. There seems to be little to improve in terms of its aerodynamic, elegant and taut looks - evidence of this, is that, the latest 5-series facelift is so minor on the outside that it is hard to tell it apart from the pre-facelift car, except for a changed headlamp shape.

One thing that is clear to me - despite the general description of luxury German marquees as fast depreciating assets, lately this statement is less true. They are definitely still depreciating assets but with appreciating quality of materials - so one gets a perception of increasing relative luxury as times go by. Let me explain. If you look at the latest LCI 5-series cars, they have watered down the specs quite a bit - even the 530i M-Sport priced at 63 lakhs today does not come with leather upholstery anymore (only Sensatec), while my 2017 Sportline at launch had Dakota leathers at a sub-50 lakh ex-showroom price point!

My car is coming up on its 4th anniversary. The lock-downs and my recent acquisition of the 2020 Mahindra Thar and the obsession with that new member of the family, has meant that the BMW has seen less running. However, I do want to take the car of a birthday trip next month and update this ownership review thoroughly.
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 11:58   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Another update on my 530i:

The car is ageing very well. It has covered 17500 KMs now and the engine is now even more butter smooth. The car is used very lightly as you can see. There has been no trips to the office for 18 months given the lockdowns and remote working, and the main way the car gets used is occasional long drives from Chennai to Kodaikanal.

Just completed a round trip, and the car's fuel efficiency seems to have improved considerably! I did an average speed of about 120 KPH most of the way and it returned 12.5 KPL in Comfort mode. On the return trip, decided to try EcoPro just for the heck of it - Voila', I was getting 13.5 KPL with very similar speeds.

Fortunately, there have been zero rattles and squeaks in this car. The interior leather has held up very well and looks like new. The only problem with the car is the fact that rats seem to love hanging out in the engine bay and biting the cables. This happens especially during rainy days when water soaks up the ground and the rat's homes get wet, and they look for a higher abode to rest. Each time this happens, the Steering goes hard and "Steering stabilization" error message comes up. The car has to be towed to the dealership, where it is queued up for 3-4 days and finally after a bill of nearly 20K, returns back in great shape, only to be again bitten when rains come back in a few months. Happened twice this year and is starting to test my patience. Surprisingly, this does not seem to happen to any of the other two cars in the garage, a Toyota and and a Mahindra! Maybe BMW uses tasty or aromatic cables

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 27th December 2021 at 12:01.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 17:29   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

With office-lock downs extending even further, by some more months, and the resurgent rate menace at my house, I have decided to pass my 530i on to a worthy buyer if I can find the right one (and at the right price). The car looks and feels every bit as good as new, and it is a hard decision. However, the coming lack of use will not be good for the car, and it is apt that someone who can munch the miles and enjoy the car regularly, will be better off to own the car at this point.

Listed the car in the Team-bhp classifieds as well as OLX.
Attached Thumbnails
My BMW 530i (G30)!-p15.jpeg  

84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed