Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2024, 20:53   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristComesSoon View Post
Looks great!

The pics seem to show a professional paint booth, with professional lighting.
Interested to know the setup of the place you've got, and the kind of equipment & process you used.
We have a prep booth and a paint booth. Prep booth is used for prepping the vehicle and primer. Paint booth is used only for the colours and the clear coats.

We have used a concours quality process and for now, we are still experimenting with the process and I wouldnt like to talk about it publicly. We have all the equipment needed. MIG/MAG welders, dent pullers, high tech Spot Welders, Induction heaters, whatever is needed.

Like I mentioned earlier, this is a free space available to me and I decided to take the plunge. Right now we are only working on friends and family's cars. Also my colleagues' cars which are damaged. Working on my colleague's Amaze right now.

Also a friend's Ambassador which was his father's first car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Awesome finish Nikhil, though am not a big fan of this shade

But hey this is ultimate YOLO "I didn't like the paint in my last repaint so I decided to open a shop on my own!" Congratulations and one day definitely would like to come and visit the place.

Also PPF I have heard is best to be done after couple of months of a repaint, is this true?
Thanks Jaggu. Glad that we didnt paint your car with this shade by mistake

PPF -- You are right. We are experimenting in our bodyshop. We painted a panel, then applied PPF on that at different times and then yanked it out too at different times to see if the paint peels off.

We didnt have any such issues. Maybe we got lucky but we want to believe that our paint process and curing ensures PPF can be applied quickly.

After most paint jobs, we want to give it some time before applying PPF because the paint/clear coat continues to release some gases. To accelerate this process, we bake the car and we call it the "Curing". But in most cases, this is not enough for all the gases to escape. So, if we apply PPF too soon, the gases have nowhere to go and basically either cause the PPF to bubble or the gases escaping reduce adherence of the paint ot the panel causing the paint to peel with the PPF.

We are experimenting with different things.

That is the whole point of this bodyshop. Without commercial pressures, try out crazy things and hopefully learn something new.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks