Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2017, 19:28   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km

The car is continuing to serve me well. Havent driven much over the last few days and the next few days will be very slow as well. I am going to get the Ceramic Coating done next week which will take 2-3 days. That means no driving. I'm actually looking forward to driving my Civic again! I am dreading the Bangalore traffic though, but the Civic's softer suspension should be a major plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

Variable ratio steering is actually a steering rack that changes the ratio of the steering to wheels depending on the angle of the turn. Basically what is does is when you have to take sharp turns you don't have to turn the steering as many times as a normal steering. You can see that full steering lock to lock, the number of turns will be less. My X3 also has this feature which I had read up, hence the gyan

https://legacy.bmw.com/ca/en/newvehi...ering.html#t=l

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steering_ratio
Thanks a lot Santosh! Those are nice links. Will read through it soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Absolutely wonderful update there Nikhil! Thoroughly enjoyed reading thru...
And looking at the black interiors, it would have been great if Skoda provided the black leather option in the regular Octavia.

By the way, congratulations! Looking forward to your future updates
Thank you vb-san!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Super write up and pics mate. Many congratulations. I can't wait for my car to be delivered. A quick question for you guys, I want to change the rims on my Octavia 1.8 l&k as and when the car is delivered. However the showroom guys said don't because the TPS or whatever it's called will have to be recaliberated. Any truth in that?
I doubt it. If you stick to the OEM size (16" in your case), I dont think the TPMS will have to be recalibrated. If you upsize, I am not sure. The TPMS doesnt have an actual sensor in the tyre. It is an ABS based system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Hi Nikhil!! Congrats on the new car.

Regards,
VVB
Thank you VVB. I shall keep your experience in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovan View Post
Hi Nikhil, congrats on the car! I too plan to book the vRS this month, my only concern is that in case of any problems, being a CBU do you think the parts would need to be imported? or would local service centres be able to manage repairs and the spares?
The vRS isnt a CBU. It's assembled in Aurangabad using CKD kits.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 16th September 2017 at 19:32.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 19:47   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I am going to get the Ceramic Coating done next week which will take 2-3 days. That means no driving. I'm actually looking forward

Where are you getting the ceramic coating done? Is it with Ceramic Pro? There are two outlets in Bangalore. One in Indranagar and the other in Rajajinagar.
Old 16th September 2017, 20:05   #78
BHPian

Quote:
The car is continuing to serve me well. Havent driven much over the last few days and the next few days will be very slow as well. I am going to get the Ceramic Coating done next week which will take 2-3 days. That means no driving. I'm actually looking forward to driving my Civic again! I am dreading the Bangalore traffic though, but the Civic's softer suspension should be a major plus!
Do let me know how that turns out!
Old 17th September 2017, 01:43   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Where are you getting the ceramic coating done? Is it with Ceramic Pro? There are two outlets in Bangalore. One in Indranagar and the other in Rajajinagar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Do let me know how that turns out!
My good friend Sunny is using some absolutely top class stuff for my car. It's been with him for a while but he's decided to use it on this stunning Race Blue vRS.

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-img_7484.jpg

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-img_7485.jpg

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-img_7487.jpg

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-img_7488.jpg

2017 Skoda Octavia vRS 230 | 4 years and 83000 km-img_7489.jpg

It might be overkill, but then I am known to go overboard!

You can google for this stuff. It's absolutely top class.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 17th September 2017 at 01:45.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 02:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
My good friend Sunny is using some absolutely top class stuff for my car. It's been with him for a while but he's decided to use it on this stunning Race Blue vRS.
I've heard great things about this stuff! Photos soon please!!

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 17th September 2017 at 09:43. Reason: Please quote only a part of a long post. Thanks
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 14:14   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Super write up and pics mate. Many congratulations. I can't wait for my car to be delivered. A quick question for you guys, I want to change the rims on my Octavia 1.8 l&k as and when the car is delivered. However the showroom guys said don't because the TPS or whatever it's called will have to be recaliberated. Any truth in that?
Hey Derek!!

I have changed the wheels on my 1.8tsi to 17inchers and let me assure you that TPMS works just fine. Our cars do not have a full fledged TPMS system anyways.

Regards
VVB
Old 17th September 2017, 14:45   #82
BHPian

Hey thanks so much for that. I was looking at changing the alloys as well. They look so ugly :-( . Where in mumbai did you do the changes? I'm awaiting my car, hopefully a couple of weeks now. What rubber are you running now? Thanks again.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th September 2017 at 07:02. Reason: u = you. Kindly refrain from using SMS lingo on the forum.
Old 17th September 2017, 19:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The tyres were also subjected to some stress tests yesterday and I am impressed with these Hankooks. I feel justified in my decision of sticking to it and not throwing money by “upgrading” to Michelin PS4s. The PS4 of course is a brilliant tyre, but it will definitely not be worth the huge amount of money I would lose by throwing away the Hankooks which are almost on par for my kind of driving.

It’s always worth keeping in mind that for our kind of driving, on Indian roads, the difference will be incremental. Unless you get some really crap tyres from the factory, chances are, your car doesn’t need to get upgraded tyres.
Very forthright insights I have to say! Well, I can't get better advice than asking you :-)
My new Superb comes with 215/55R17 Apollo (Aspire ?) 4G tyres. Couldn't find much on the forum on the tyres ? Should I persist with them, or swap to the Michelin/Conti etc ?

At Vinayak's yard, saw several vRS including Race Blue, White and Red. Race Blue looks the best IMO :-) Also, saw 7-8 Superb cars brought for delivery.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 17th September 2017 at 19:04.
Old 17th September 2017, 19:11   #84
BHPian

A little late for this, but as they say better late than never. Congratulations on your new ride Nikhil. She looks fabulous in the Race Blue shade and this colour was my choice too, before I shifted to Steel Grey.

I am taking delivery of my ride tomorrow. From your review, and considering I am taking delivery from Tafe Access too (Mangalore dealer), I must warn them not to use the slime before hand. I will decide the tire pressure after checking the ride quality (I actually prefer a slightly harsher ride)
carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 07:04   #85
BHPian

Congrats Nikhil !! Looks like you were smitten by turbo petrol after the Civic experience.

Wish you a million miles of wonderful memories with your new steed

Hope to see a fly by soon !! In this case I definitely don't see the need for a fly by request to be approved by the ATC
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 19:24   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
A little late for this, but as they say better late than never. Congratulations on your new ride Nikhil. She looks fabulous in the Race Blue shade and this colour was my choice too, before I shifted to Steel Grey.

I am taking delivery of my ride tomorrow. From your review, and considering I am taking delivery from Tafe Access too (Mangalore dealer), I must warn them not to use the slime before hand. I will decide the tire pressure after checking the ride quality (I actually prefer a slightly harsher ride)
Thanks . A little birdie told me your Steel Grey got delivered today! Congrats to you as well! After seeing the Steel Grey once at the showroom and multiple pictures online, I feel you've made a great choice. If I wasnt so infatuated with the Blue, I'm sure I would have gone for that as well. I love the understated, sleeper look of the car. That's one thing I love about my Civic as well. Looks stock, but it fast! The Steel Grey vRS can give many high end cars a proper thrashing when they least expect it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Very forthright insights I have to say! Well, I can't get better advice than asking you :-)
My new Superb comes with 215/55R17 Apollo (Aspire ?) 4G tyres. Couldn't find much on the forum on the tyres ? Should I persist with them, or swap to the Michelin/Conti etc ?

At Vinayak's yard, saw several vRS including Race Blue, White and Red. Race Blue looks the best IMO :-) Also, saw 7-8 Superb cars brought for delivery.
Thank you! Stick to the Aspire. They are very nice tyres. I dont foresee any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Congrats Nikhil !! Looks like you were smitten by turbo petrol after the Civic experience.

Wish you a million miles of wonderful memories with your new steed

Hope to see a fly by soon !! In this case I definitely don't see the need for a fly by request to be approved by the ATC
Thank you Sateesh! Congrats on your new ride as well!

Last edited by Aditya : 29th September 2017 at 17:49. Reason: Removing extra smiley ;)
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 19:42   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Stick to the Aspire. They are very nice tyres. I dont foresee any problems.
Thanks Nikhil. Will run on the Apollo tyres for a couple of thousand km, and share my experience. Car is at yard, need to take delivery this week :-)
Old 19th September 2017, 20:41   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks . A little birdie told me your Steel Grey got delivered today! Congrats to you as well! After seeing the Steel Grey once at the showroom and multiple pictures online, I feel you've made a great choice. If I wasnt so infatuated with the Blue, I'm sure I would have gone for that as well. I love the understated, sleeper look of the car. That's one thing I love about my Civic as well. Looks stock, but it fast! The Steel Grey vRS can give many high end cars a proper thrashing when they least expect it!
Thank you Nikhil, I totally agree with your observation regarding the steel grey colour. It looks super awesome and yet manages to be subtle. That's something not many colour shades can do.
Old 21st September 2017, 23:02   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a quick glimpse of my car post detailing by SunnyBoi

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 21st September 2017 at 23:19.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 09:55   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a quick glimpse of my car post detailing by SunnyBoi
Nikhil, I see a positive and negative aspect to this job:

Negative:

It looks so special now that you just cannot afford to get into the car for a casual drive. You better be dressed well, and probably may go as far as charging the fellow passengers just for a spin in this Czech missile

Positive:
Considering the 'Negative' aspect, you don't need a dressing table or mirror anymore. Just that gloss on your RS can be used as a make-shift mirror now
Vik0728 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed