Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2017, 06:43   #31
BHPian

Re: Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiSEr_007 View Post
The entire journey was on normal roads. Is it possible that the pollen filter was the culprit for the nauseating feeling?
Thank you Hellraiser. While the ride definitely is bumpy at the back in some road surfaces, I'm surprised to hear this feedback. Certainly something about the specific car you were in. We've done several road trips now with parents, kids, or parents + kids even, and they've found it amazing. The huge space and airy cabin are brilliant on any trip.

Doubt the pollen filter has much relevance here.
I personally feel the leaf suspension setup on the demo car is splayed out. Either the shocks or the leaves need replacement. Though that would give a feeling of wallowing, or the back wheels tracking wrongly. More likely to be the wheels which desperately need balancing. I find many dealers neglect to balance wheels after upgrading to bigger footwear. Easy way to check is to 'palm' the contact patch on a front tyre and you would immediately feel the sides are worn differently to the centre. It is sickening to travel in a car with unbalanced wheels operating like 4 gyroscopes going all over the place. Whatever this is, the dealer is not doing themselves any favours by 'showcasing this subpar 'experience'.

For a quality TD, you may want to pop a message on the Facebook page. The Bangalore gang is large and helpful. Never know who volunteers to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Lovely to see a well written, witty first hand account of this rare species of SUV. And your spirit of discovering very less known useful tools is amazing.
Congratulations VivOverland on your beastly ride and thanks for a great writeup.
Thank you very much deetee. I prefer to note this is an UV, with nothing semi about it - helps to temper expectations of the softroading janta! Glad to hear you liked the oddball accessories Emma is adding to her boudoir

Last edited by VivOverland : 4th November 2017 at 06:48. Reason: Editing out a typo
VivOverland is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 13:03   #32
BHPian

Continuing my journey with the V-Cross, have found that the regular bucket washer brigade (BWB) just wasn't good enough. After 1 month of experimentation, I believe I have found the ideal option. Others may have been here before me, but I can state that this works well for the V-Cross. Now, why am I going to so much detail for what should be no more than a footnote to a car ownership experience thread? Let the pictures below give you an idea.

The rear bumper is a dust magnet.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-dirty-bumper-rear.jpg

As is the running board.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-dirty-running-board.jpg

Another tricky area, often missed by BWBs.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-dirty-bed-clearance.jpg

As for the wheels...
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-dirty-wheel-arch.jpg

Note: our guy is among the worst specimen of the BWBs I've seen across 3 cities and multiple cars, but this car does require a different approach than the daily splash and dash. Nevertheless all the images above are of a washed car (laying out the standards my BWB follows)

As you would have realised, the V-Cross is not your regular sedan / hatchback / saloon / station wagon, in fact, any other car. It really is a TRUCK. Which means, this vehicle is conceptually a chassis, with a passenger cabin, a truck bed, metal bumper (rear) and large wheels + tyres (which - like toddlers - gravitate to mud). Each section needs to be handled differently while washing, which in my humble experience, is beyond the comprehension of the usual BWB. If you are blessed with a quality washerman, please do treat him like an extension of your family. If you live in an area with low service standards, perhaps my experience will help.

Many wiser souls would now want to tell me, bro - you have a black car. GTO in his infinite wisdom, has laid it all out. Unfortunately, in my limited wisdom, I bought first and thought later. *VivOverland repents at leisure. So much for any colour, so long as it's black! Anyway, that having been said, I immediately did the following to cut my losses -
1) Bye bye BWB.
2) Drove around with a dirty car for a few days.
3) Booked a 3M appointment and got Emma her private spa treatment.
4) Amazon'd a Jopasu brush.
5) Started waking up every morning with dusting on my mind.

This has been a revelation. 2-3 minutes a day with the Jopasu is more than enough to keep my car sparkling for weeks at a time. IMHO this brush is a huge invention, and should be ranked along mankind's greatest - like penicillin, the number zero, and family planning. This thing just magics away dust, and your shiny paint becomes visible again. Be careful to quickly remove stains from bird bombs, kamikaze bugs, leaking pipes (don't laugh, many of us park in basements) - else you will have a lifelong souvenir to enjoy. With a little care, all you need are 2 pressure washes a month, and the V-Cross is good as new. Certainly better than the BWB, with their accompanying swirl marks. I prefer my swirls only in ice cream, thank you!

In case anyone's wondering, Jopasu is not my father's business. Nor does it belong to my uncle, aunt, their kids or neighbours. I like to share feedback, whether good, bad or fugly; that's all. Also, this is (subject to Admin review), very relevant to the ownership experience of this great vehicle.
VivOverland is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 22:51   #33
BHPian

Been searching for a decent inflatable for our camping trips. After some searching and lots of YouTube videos, settled on the Intex Excursion 5.

That's the box waiting to be picked up
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-img20171130wa0003.jpg

It's a great 5 seater raft, comes with it's own footpump and a pair of oars. Optional accessories include an engine mount and a range of trolling motors. I'll stick to the old fashioned oars for now, and probably invest in a Coleman rechargeable inflator to save my back muscles in favour of rowing duties.

A good YouTube review for those interested

Will share more details once I collect it and test on water, sooner rather than later.
VivOverland is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 17:42   #34
BHPian

A nice and crisp review buddy. You really Love EMMA. The tyres look cool and reading about your travels, you are really making the best of V Cross.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 14:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
I get an all round FE with AC of 10.5 (on the MID, not re-calibrated for the upsize wheels). Haven't compared highway versus city, as my drive cycle is quite varied. Steering is smooth and well balanced despite the upsized and heavy wheels.
Update: now at around 14,000 kms and mileage is improving drastically. After wheel alignment and balancing I saw a jump from 10.5 to 14 kmpl and now holding steady at 13 across all drive cycles. All figures are as reported by the MID (should be a bit higher due to larger wheels) and with A.C. on.
Old 22nd January 2018, 13:14   #36
BHPian

Emma has been taking us places. She's like a naughty voice inside my head, asking me to just get in the car and drive. Often to offbeat and out of the way spots, with no other humans in sight. I must sound like a serial killer. Well, I do eat Kelloggs for breakfast (cereal killer - get it?).

Anyway, I earlier mentioned my family's need to Get Away From It All (GAFIA). Which is something we've been doing much off, nearly every weekend in fact. Owning this car is a surreal experience, because it just slots into so many driving cycles with ease.
  • 'Sedan-like' to run with thousands of other rats to work
  • 'Maalgaadi' for extracurricular duty (transporting car seats, stepladder, assorted luggage, furniture, etc)
  • 'Adventure vehicle' for picnics and trips
  • 'Offroader' for trails and beating new tracks.

The V-Cross is like The Rock - looks good in a suit and at work, but also real handy when you're heading off to save the world (or GAFIA). Sharing some of our trips that have opened new perspectives for us. Imagine being able to go anywhere, so long as you have enough width and traction available... Tarmac, mud, sand, rocks, gravel - no worries at all (within reason, this ain't no dune buggy). This little truck never stops. Let me elaborate with some live examples -

Example No. 1:
Tansa Lake, is an isolated area within the North Konkan region. To get to this spot, you need to drive from Mumbai for 2-3 hours, then take a short mud trail across a shaky jugaad bridge, then drive around the lake bed.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-a00c94399bed4655b36cf2c8681cdaeb.jpg

This is the trail around the lake bed. In the distance (behind the pipelines) is the tar road. Any car can get till there. Beyond that, 4H is strongly advised.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-f949ae693156483fbea531a1dfa8fa71.jpg

This is how we got there, where the normal road ended. 7 adults and 3 kids with supplies (chulha, chairs and footstools, 20ltr water can, inflatable boat with oars and pump, life jackets, mats, foodstuff, etc). The kids and 2 adults can just jump into the back, for a short ride to the site
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-0a66756477704268b85384618365d95a.jpg

Had a wonderful day out on the lake, with a picnic lunch and ending with a chai session.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-19bf4111552545ee8d9d20bc9a09f078.jpg

Example No. 2:
Rajmachi is a well traveled route for most off roaders, especially in the wet season. It is essentially a trekkers path which has grown wider and more accessible over the years. We did this in November, and the trail was dusty and honestly too easy (will return in the monsoon). Good enough for a day trip. Nice fortress with lots of history, and we chose a good picnic spot to catch a quick lunch. To get here, you climb a dirt / gravel road up the mountain. Some steep gradients, but nothing difficult for any 4x4. I actually saw an Alto half way up the climb, hats' off to the guys' perseverance. Kinda like taking a knife to a gun fight if you ask me, but to each his own!
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-20171111_142512.jpg

Example No. 3:
Much closer to home - just 20 minutes away in fact! Sanjay Gandhi National park is Mumbai's green lung, and most of us just take this wonderful place for granted. The buffer zone does have some short trails, including one with a rock-studded gradient with canyon walls. I found it quite tricky and you HAVE to air down (will elaborate shortly), even though the distance is just a few hundred metres. This is a shot from the top of the trail. The neighbourhood canine savouring the moment - bet he doesn't get to sniff many tyres up here.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-20171004_153445.jpg

Example No. 4:
This one is a superb track for off road and trail enthusiasts. A private route by a dam, near Karjat. Rock, mud, gravel and some green laning in the monsoon. We return here regularly. TeamBHPer Tejas pointed me to the importance of airing down. This location is where I practice this technique for a more comfortable and effective ride.

My (rear) tyres in 3 stages:
1. Road ready @ 29 PSI
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-20171230_142920.jpg
2. Trail ready @ 18 PSI
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-20171230_142905.jpg
3. Airing up again from 18 to 29 PSI
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-20171230_143052.jpg

The trail in the wet season is a joy - streams, challenging bogs, inclines and gullies.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-20170702_122404.jpg

Example No. 5:
Uran wetlands are just 45 minutes from Vashi station, but one of the most endangered from the perspective of wildlife. Many of us would know of this place because of the flamingos that fly here every year from Kutch. Beautiful spot with waterbodies teeming with fish, and lots of bird sightings. Sadly, you can see the city encroaching into this zone, there is a Cidco dumping ground planned just next to the site. I would never have thought of coming here, unless Emma had whispered to me. This was a spur of the moment trip, based on 15 seconds with Google Maps (satellite view), while pulled over on the side of the road one Sunday.
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-20180121_142030.jpg
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-20180121_142049.jpg

Now, why do I share so much detail of my trips here? After all, many readers are probably here to know more about the V-Cross, and not the journeys we make with it. I do this for 1 reason - the journey to quality (Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, read it if you haven't already!). What is a car, if not an extension of ourselves? We buy the car that suits us best, and what use a car that sits in the garage? A machine must carry out its' purpose, else it is a failure. To pose a philosophical question - do we choose our car, or does she choose us?

More to follow soon, including a more detailed review of the Intex Excursion 5
VivOverland is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 18:31   #37
BHPian

Just ended up reading each of your posts from the first. Honestly speaking, had not been curious about Isuzu's offerings but your thread here has tempted me to go for a TD!
A true lifestyle vehicle and glad to see the truck fit in with your family so well!

Came across the service cost for your second service nearing about 8xxxK. Aren't there any free services included in the service schedule?

Also, am very keen on getting your opinion regarding the MUX. Did you evaluate the same while purchasing the Vcross?

Forgive me if you have posted anything relating to what i've asked in your previous posts. I was lost in reading your thread post which, was shocked to see half an hour fly by in what seemed to me as 10 minutes!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 14:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Came across the service cost for your second service nearing about 8xxxK. Aren't there any free services included in the service schedule?

Also, am very keen on getting your opinion regarding the MUX. Did you evaluate the same while purchasing the Vcross?
Thank you Abhi for your kind comments. Guess Isuzu doesn't believe in free lunches, or free services either! The MUX was not in my budget, so didn't evaluate it this time.
Old 23rd January 2018, 15:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Abhi for your kind comments. Guess Isuzu doesn't believe in free lunches, or free services either! The MUX was not in my budget, so didn't evaluate it this time.
Oh should I again mention it?! Looks like this is the second time in a single day in years I’ve gotten jealous

One amazing trip minded folks and like minded truck you’ve got there sir!

Trucks at no cost are meant to be sweet to the families. But this one seems quite different.

Keep munching miles and I’ll be looking forward to see some more travelogues from you!
Old 21st February 2018, 17:10   #40
BHPian

Installed a custom roll bar (sports bar for the purists).

Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-20180218_152158.jpg
It's possibly the first V-cross in India, to combine a roll bar with a roller lid. You can read about the project here.
VivOverland is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 17:45   #41
BHPian

It's time I lightened up, and invested in dependable aux lights The roll bar has mounting points which saves me the cost and trouble of sourcing another cross bar. These are terribly prone to rust as they are exposed to water and also wind shear which strips paint way too efficiently.

The mounting points as below -
Owner's take: My Isuzu V-Cross 4x4-20180218_1522112.jpg

Strongly considering a combination of 2x Hella 500 FF in the centre with 2x Hella 500 on the sides, which can be turned to double up as short duration floodlights at camp. Not considering the 700 which is just a larger (albeit more efficient) casing. More to follow soon...
Old 21st February 2018, 19:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Not considering the 700 which is just a larger (albeit more efficient) casing. More to follow soon...
I honestly think you should consider the Hella 700FFs. The 500FF will look puny on a car of this size. I have the Hella 700FF on my Xylo and they look appropriate for the size of the car.

Also, please don't quote me, but I think aux lights above the level of the headlights are illegal in our country.
Paradiddle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 22:10   #43
BHPian

I am a responsible driver and my aux lights will be capped unless off-road, or linked to high beam only.

Paradiddle, unfortunately the MVA is fairly vague in its coverage of alterations - I'm trying to find any guidance issued at the State level.

Extract from Sec 52
Motor Vehicles Act 1988

52.Alteration in motor vehicle

(1) No owner of a motor vehicle shall so alter the vehicle that the particulars contained in the certificate of registration are at variance with those originally specified by the manufacturer:

Provided that where the owner of a motor vehicle makes modification of the engine, or any part thereof, of a vehicle for facilitating its operation by different type of fuel or source of energy including battery, compressed natural gas, solar power, liquid petroleum gas or any other fuel or source of energy, by fitment of a conversion kit, such modification shall be carried out subject to such conditions as may be prescribed:

Provided further that the Central Government may prescribe specifications, conditions for approval, retrofitment and other related matters for such conversion kits:

Provided also that the Central Government may grant exemption for alteration of vehicles in a manner other than specified above, for any specific purpose.

(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), a State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, authorise, subject to such conditions as may be specified in the notification, and permit any person owning not less than ten transport vehicles to alter any vehicle owned by him so as to replace the engine thereof with engine of the same make and type, without the approval of registering authority.

(3) Where any alteration has been made in motor vehicle without the approval of registering authority or by reason of replacement of its engine without such approval under sub-section (2), the owner of the vehicle shall,, within fourteen days of the making of the alteration, report the alteration to the registering authority within whose jurisdiction he resides and shall forward the certificate of registration to that authority together with the prescribed fee in order that particulars of registration may be entered therein.

(4) A registering authority other than the original registering authority making any such entry shall communicate the details of the entry to the original registering authority.

(5) Subject to the provisions made under sub-sections (1), (2), (3) and (4), no person holding a vehicle under a hire-purchase agreement shall make any alteration to the vehicle except with the written consent of the registered owner.

Explanation.-For the purposes of this section, “alteration” means a change in the structure of a vehicle which results in a change in its basic feature.].

1. Subs. by Act 27 of 2000, sec. 2, for section 52 (w.e.f. 11-8-2000).
VivOverland is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:53   #44

I have a xenon XT 4x4, from tata motors, 4 years old and done 35000km. I am a big cycling enthusiast and do at least one brevet a month. In addition to the roll bars I also have rear platform racks mounted and recently bought an army surplus trailer. Now, working on trying to fit in a trailer hitch to the chassis to tow it. The next step is going to be a winch integrated to the front bumper.
rosewarrior_101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 15:28   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewarrior_101 View Post
I have a xenon XT 4x4, from tata motors, 4 years old and done 35000km. I am a big cycling enthusiast and do at least one brevet a month. In addition to the roll bars I also have rear platform racks mounted and recently bought an army surplus trailer. Now, working on trying to fit in a trailer hitch to the chassis to tow it. The next step is going to be a winch integrated to the front bumper.
Hi Rosewarrior your rig sounds amazing. Would be great to see some pics of the set up you've done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks