Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2017, 23:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 : A review from the hills of Ooty

Congrats on your new car. Wish you many happy miles.
Any reason you didn’t consider the Renault Captur? Its basically the Duster with upgraded looks and interiors.
Old 4th December 2017, 23:57   #17
BHPian

5 Star review of a 5 star car! Really enjoyed reading it.

Your contenders list had some stars too; makes me wonder how stiff competition is these days and how confusing is it to choose a car, given the options. Having said that, I would have chosen Compass too.

PS: Really liked those Mats, they are different.
Jas21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 09:38   #18
BANNED

A very nice review sir. It was short, but focused on main points. Rated it 5 stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
Ground Clearance
One place which is a good place to check for the approach and departure angle is the slope leading to my house. It is a 35 degree gradient (approximately). Any vehicle that clears this is acceptable for potholes or undulating mud trails. No sedans will clear this angle. The wind deflector of the Compass just about cleared it. Incidentally, this is a breeze for the Duster.
Perks of having a house in hills, you can easily check the true SUV-ness of any vehicle!

Last edited by ampere : 6th December 2017 at 07:33.
Simat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 11:12   #19
BHPian

Congratulations on the vehicle. Will keep following this thread for how the long-term ownership pans out.

Incidentally, I saw many more of the Jeep Compass in Ooty/Coonoor than I what I get to see in Bangalore. Was pottering around in those parts last couple of weeks and had seen your ride parked in the porch while in the neighbourhood. She looked gorgeous. It was a pleasant surprise to see the vehicle on a thread here.

Having walked up that slope in front, I can easily imagine it being quite a bumper breaker!
codelust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 12:36   #20
BHPian

Congratulations and a very good review. Compass looks smashing in this colour. Would be keenly following up this thread. As an owner of Dusty AWD, Compass 4X4 makes a a case for good upgrade. The difference of around 10L is steep IMO.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 12:39   #21
BHPian

Many many congratulations on getting this beauty, this Jeep really does tug at my heartstrings! Wish you many many happy miles with this beauty, i hope to add her to my garage sometime next year, as my Punto closes in on 9 years and 140k kms!

One question on the space at the back, is it just the width that is the issue or even legroom is a challenge? I hope legroom is better than the Ecosport's?
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 13:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Gaana app can be played on the car's screen. There are a few music apps that can do that apart from Play Music. I have Gaana and Beyond Pod installed and both of them can be controlled from the car's screen. There is a little arrow that comes next to the music icon on the android auto screen from which you can select the player of your choice. Let me know if you have trouble finding it and I can post some pictures.
Thank you. when I started out with the review gaana was not optimized for Android auto. after that most useful pointer of your's I got that sorted. thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theREDcamero View Post
It would be great if you look out for any untoward turbo-lag below 2000 rpm during cold-engine starts of the Compass. We own one 4x4 Limited MT and are sadly having some niggles related to the same noticed since last week.
Since it is recommended to stay below the 1500rpm range for 10-25 minutes before the engine is sufficiently lubed, I never did't get to step on the gas until engine temperatures hit optimal levels. But i am curious. Could you tell me in more detail of your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Any reason you didn't consider the Renault Captur? Its basically the Duster with upgraded looks and interiors.
1.The Captur was not butch enough. The Duster is still the looker!.
2.No AWD. And frankly, though I would be hardly using it, to have some form of 4Wd has been a dream for a long time.
3.The little hoodwinking job done by Renault during their marketing Campaign dampened the confidence a little bit. Also you can't help but feel the company is not doing enough to keep the interiors of their cars in line with current standards, be it opulence or gadgetry. But would love it if Renault equip and fit out their cars the way hyundai does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
One question on the space at the back, is it just the width that is the issue or even legroom is a challenge? I hope legroom is better than the Ecosport's?
The legroom is a little more than the Ecosport but not profoundly more. For that matter the Duster's legroom also was not that much more than the Ecosport, if I remember right. I perceive the Ecosport's width is what makes the rear seats a little cooped up, which alas, would be the case with the Compass. That said, the Compass' cabin feels airy due to the use of grey-white upholstery while the Ecosport has an all black theme.

Last edited by igp_79 : 5th December 2017 at 14:25.
igp_79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 14:31   #23
BHPian

Excellent review buddy and congratulations on your new ride. Compass looks good in silver with black roof wrap.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 14:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
You have mentioned that you would buy the Duster AWD if the interiors was upgraded, is it from the ride quality and price point of view? As I understand, Compass is a far more safer vehicle than the Duster and if one can afford the Compass there is no point in going for the Duster.
Thank you.

Yes the ride quality of the Duster, satisfactory performance, AWD and the price all make it an alluring buy. Guilty as charged! I would give safety a back seat if I could save around 8 lakhs.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th December 2017 at 16:19. Reason: Merge not required. Removing note :)
igp_79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 17:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

Yes the ride quality of the Duster, satisfactory performance, AWD and the price all make it an alluring buy. Guilty as charged! I would give safety a back seat if I could save around 8 lakhs.
Im surprised the ride and handling of the Jeep scores lower than the Duster.

I loved the Duster's suspension, steering feedback, but the lethargic engine put me off. I love quick revving diesels

Have to TD the Diesel MT COMPASS. The Petrol Automatic was great but the DCT transmission was struggling to shift and I was hugely disappointed!
Old 5th December 2017, 17:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Im surprised the ride and handling of the Jeep scores lower than the Duster.
Only in respect to ride does it score lower. On the handling it is better than the duster by the same margin, be it steering feedback, roll control or stopping precision.

And yes like you pointed out, the the 108 engine of the Duster may not be underpowered, but it is definitely lazy in it's power delivery especially up the hills. This maybe due to it's lack of low end grunt, which was corrected to a certain extent in the AWD version's engine map.

Incidentally,the Jeep's performance figures are out on this month's Autocar india magazine and the figures are not that different from the Duster's figures.
0-100 @ 11.84 seconds
40-100 on 4th @ 11. odd seconds
igp_79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 20:32   #27

Quote:
Since it is recommended to stay below the 1500rpm range for 10-25 minutes before the engine is sufficiently lubed, I never did't get to step on the gas until engine temperatures hit optimal levels. But i am curious. Could you tell me in more detail of your experience?.
Hi mate,
I had written about this problem in exact detail in the Jeep Compass Official review page number 45, somewhere in the midway through that page. Please do have a quick glance through it and do observe your vehicle for any such trouble. Kindly, after you look out for these niggles and when you think the time is right, acknowledge it down here - even if it is a positive or a negative.
Thank you and much appreciated.
Link to that page would be.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-45.html
Old 5th December 2017, 21:14   #28
BHPian

Congratulations. Jeep Compass is the best looking compact SUV in town. For hills, it's best of both world.

I am a regular andriod auto user on my Ford Endeavour. The Gaana app is android auto enabled so you do not need any skin for the same.

Andriod auto by default plays from last app used by you on phone (provided it is compatible). Please make gaana as your default player and it should work.

In Ford sync ICE, you can select the music app but by default it plays from last used app.

Last edited by Wanderers : 5th December 2017 at 21:15.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 21:21   #29
BANNED

Congrats Man for the new ride! The contrast roof brings out the real beauty of the car! Very subtle yet striking look. One of the few 4x4 Jeeps here on the forum.

A suggestion to the Android Auto problem you mentioned, you can use Gaana app natively in the Android auto(its one of the few supported 3rd party apps), just tap the headphone button again when you enter the music.
Alternatively, you can install an app AnyAudioAuto (install the apk from XDA dev), then you can control the playback of any music app running on your phone through Android auto. Even the non supported ones like PowerAmp, JioMusic etc.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 22:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The 3M Gloss Roof Wrap

From: I got this done at the TV Swamy road franchisee at RS Puram, Coimbatore. The guy who runs this place, Sudan is very sweet and really passionate. It is important that good people do the wrap, since the ribbed roof and roof rails make it difficult. These guys were very thorough. they removed the spoiler and the roof rails.
Congratulations igp_79. What an excellent ownership report that is, thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I concur your thoughts about Sudan and the folks at 3M RS Puram. Personally, I always make it a point to visit them whenever at Coimbatore as their workmanship is excellent. Like many others have pointed out, the roof wrap is very tastefully done and has a very striking appearance on an already hot Evoquish Compass.
Keynote is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks