Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2017, 19:13   #16
BHPian

Re: The 5th-Gen Hyundai Verna: 1st Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
The previous models too never had auto-folding ORVM. However, since that 'welcome function' as referred by Hyundai, is available on the lower placed Grand i10 and Elite i20, it is expected that the feature makes its way to the new, premium C2 segment sedan.
Any other feature you feel has been deleted in the New Verna?
Hello RaghuChn

You can get a aftermarket relay fitted that would do the function for auto close on lock/unlock operation. I have the relay fitted on Verna 4s and it perfectly works. . Also you can get good Osram HID fitted in those projectors, it will give a great throw plus flicker like Audi during dipper option.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2017 at 22:02. Reason: Post edited for readabilty. Please quote only relevant portions of posts. Thanks!
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 19:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
The previous models too never had auto-folding ORVM. However, since that 'welcome function' as referred by Hyundai, is available on the lower placed Grand i10 and Elite i20, it is expected that the feature makes its way to the new, premium C2 segment sedan.
Any other feature you feel has been deleted in the New Verna?
Yes - Telescopic steering adjustment also has been omitted. And by the way, I do believe that the 4S Fluidic top end did have the welcome function. For someone like me who's used to it with the i20, it does feel like a huge feature kept at bay.
Old 26th September 2017, 20:01   #18
BHPian

@ RaghuChn

Congratulations on your new purchase and wishing you many, many miles of sheer pleasure and a wonderful ownership experience.

I am glad that the new Verna is getting some features of the Elantra and I hope some of these features make their way to the facelift Creta that is due soon.
Ventilated seats must be a boon in the heat of Chennai. Same for the sun roof during the evenings.

I trust you will have a pleasant ownership and will keep an eye on this thread as how this vehicle behaves will give me some idea about how the next Creta will behave.

Keep updating your thread and I wish you many miles of great memories with this beauty.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 20:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Congratulations on the acquisition of a D4FB 1.6L beast. Its true that on paper the figures look promising. I am interested in knowing the feedback when the tyres hit the tarmac. I also hear that there are slight changes in the electronic steering setup and supposedly more responsive.
The car is naturally spirited and does great justice to the numbers on paper. Though I may not know what has changed technically, but the steering is indeed more responsive. As I have called out above - it is butter smooth until about 35-40 kmph and stiffens up nicely thereafter. Add to it, a near zero body roll on turns (better, stiffer suspensions), it is very confidence inspiring to allow it to zip the way it naturally wants to!
Old 26th September 2017, 20:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new Ride! Congratulations also on being the first one to post the review of the 5th Gen Verna - I am sure this would be extremely useful to many potential buyers.

Could you comment on the braking capability of the car? - Some people on the 2017 Verna thread seemed to feel it could have been better.

Also what is the mileage you are seeing under city driving conditions.

Once again, wishing you many happy and safe miles on your new ride
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 21:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
You mentioned 21 new features over the outgoing one. Could you please list them so that it can be easy for others.
Here we go -

1. Rear LED Combination Lamps
2. Electric Sunroof with Anti-pinch
3. Ventilated Front Seats
4. Cruise Control
5. New AVN (Arkamy's Sound Mood, Android Auto, Apple Car Play, Mirror Link and more)
6. New K2 Platform, with 50% AHSS
7. Handsfree Smart Trunk
8. Projector Fog Lamps
9. Cornering Lights
10. Re-tuned 1.6L U2 CRDi engine for better lower end Torque
11. Auto Link
12. Hyundai iBlue
13. LED DRLs & Positioning Lamps
14. Steering mounted Voice Recognition
15. Rear curtain
16. 2 USB charging ports in addition to a 12V 180W power outlet
17. Shark fin antenna, housing the GPS and Radio receptors
18. ISOFIX rear seats
19. 6-Speed Automatic Transmission option (the 4S Fluidic Verna had 4-speed slush box)
20. Eco coating technology (only in SX+ AT)
21. Sliding front armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
You can get a aftermarket relay fitted that would do the function for auto close on lock/unlock operation. I have the relay fitted on Verna 4s and it perfectly works.
Oh great! Can you please tell me if either of these will be frowned upon by the warranty enforcers? And the cost as well please. Especially, the HID sounds very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Keep updating your thread and I wish you many miles of great memories with this beauty.
Thanks a ton! Sure, I plan to update this thread periodically with each milestone.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th September 2017 at 22:02. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multple posts & quote only relevant portions. Thanks!
RaghuChn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 22:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Congratulations on the new Ride! Congratulations also on being the first one to post the review of the 5th Gen Verna - I am sure this would be extremely useful to many potential buyers.
Thanks a ton.

Quote:
Could you comment on the braking capability of the car? - Some people on the 2017 Verna thread seemed to feel it could have been better.
Thanks for bringing this up - I realize, I missed this on the review. The braking ability is more than sufficient and sharp in speeds below 100 kmph (which is what I have mainly done so far). The car comes to a stop without any drama or rubber-band effect. I did jam the brake once because of a genius who decided to cross the main road from a gully, in the middle of the night @ >60 kmph on his bike. Except the Auto Link on my phone reminding me later that the count of 'Hard Braking' went up by 1, there wasn't anything else that was forgettable The entire braking system (Discs, Drums, ABS, EBD, Tyre grip and vehicle stability) worked like a breeze to keep me in full control - no anxieties (@ about 60-70 kmph). I did not even roll down the window to appreciate Mr. Genius of his stunt
I am yet to test the bite at higher speeds (100-160 kmph and beyond) - will keep the group posted.

Quote:
Also what is the mileage you are seeing under city driving conditions.
Cumulative for all of about 460 kilometers that the car has done so far, the MID shows a 14.7 kmpl. It is improving with every drive. The last trip (last night back to home from work, about 27 kms) was at 18.9 kmpl.

Last edited by bblost : 26th September 2017 at 22:27. Reason: No more than 2 smileys per post. Thanks.
RaghuChn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 23:28   #23
BHPian

Congratulations on your new beautiful car!! Wish you and your family many happy and safe miles with it. With so many features, looks and that powerful diesel mil, this car has all the right ingredients to become one of the best selling cars in the segment. The only sore point is the rear seat space and limited head room. But if you and your family members aren't very tall, it should do just fine.
Col Mehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 09:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuChn View Post
Yes - Telescopic steering adjustment also has been omitted. And by the way, I do believe that the 4S Fluidic top end did have the welcome function. For someone like me who's used to it with the i20, it does feel like a huge feature kept at bay.
True, telescopic steering adjustment is a shocking omission by Hyundai.
None of the Verna 4S variants had the welcome function for the ORVM, I am 100% sure.

Quote:
Here we go -

10. Re-tuned 1.6L U2 CRDi engine for better lower end Torque

13. LED DRLs & Positioning Lamps

17. Shark fin antenna, housing the GPS and Radio receptors

21. Sliding front armrest
-I would not call point 10. as an added feature, rather an improvement
-LED DRLs were present in the 2014 Verna face-lift but were removed from the Verna 4S. So they are not 'all new'.
-Shark fin antenna was present in the Verna 4S from 2016 onward.
-Sliding front armrest have been in the Verna since 2011.

But I totally agree with you on how Hyundai has taken the game up to the next level. Ciaz and City were pretty close in terms of features with the outgoing Verna. Now, Verna is way ahead.

Enjoy your drives and keep us posted.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 10:18   #25
BHPian

Congratulations RaghuChn on this beautiful acquisition. Hyundai has upped the game by huge standards. And I am glad that this new design philosophy by Hyundai is Evolutionary rather than being Revolutionary. Just yesterday I had the all-new Elantra in front of me and I was literally gazing at the illuminated tail lights. They look wow. I think in sub 30 lac cars, only Elantra and Octavia have feel good or to say wow looking taillights. Add to that now, the Verna to comes with a fab taillight design. I am sure, this car, if for not anything else, will definitely further cannibalize sales of Elantra.

Just out of curiosity, any reasons for not choosing AT considering they have now added 6 Speed AT as opposed to outgoing 4 Speed AT. Yes, I hate Hyundai for not having AT in top spec and this is where Honda triumphs, as they end up giving AT in their top spec models without skimping on any feel-good features.

PS- I usually buy AT's whenever I change cars once in three years. Hence it becomes important and deciding factor for me that the variant that I choose in AT has to match up against its MT counterpart.

Congratulations once again and enjoy your ride. Drive Safe
sawnilrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 11:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
(Note – Hyundai’s official website shows a chrome lining at the bottom of the boot lid – not to be seen in any of the production cars! Not sure if I am missing a point here ) A snapshot from the Hyundai's website shown below with the chrome lining.
Attachment 1679576
Didn't notice this till you brought it up. I have never liked the extra chrome accessories which some people put on their cars and to me the car looks the best as the manufacturer intended it to be.

So when the SA told me that they are giving me an extra complimentary chrome slat on the boot I was a little worried. Thankfully it didn't look bad and I retained it.

Pic just after a long cleaning and waxing session. Chrome slat visible on the boot lid.
The 5th-Gen Hyundai Verna: 1st Ownership Review-img1779.jpg

The 5th-Gen Hyundai Verna: 1st Ownership Review-img1942.jpg

Quote:
Yes it did come with the welcome mirrors, I remember checking this out while taking the test drive of the old Verna before the launch just to experience the engine. Its a nice feature to have coz I am those finicky people who close the mirrors while stepping out of the car every time. Though its not something I miss coz my 2012 i20 Asta didnt have this either.

Quote:
I have had that nervous feeling while braking at high speed so I could relate to what others were talking about. But I am sure it is down to the fact that I have just migrated from an 82 bhp hatchback to a 128bph sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
I would like to ask you how is the car doing with respect to fuel economy (I know it's a little early for you to comment - but just want to know what the MID numbers say)
Have done around 500KMs so far with 50% highway (Navi Mumbai to Worli) driving. The accumulated economy shows 18kmpl. Auto link tells me my monthly rank is 33 and I am in the top 13%
Saiyan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 14:14   #27
BHPian

Congrats RaghuChn on your new car!!!! The new Verna looks and drives amazing. Happy miles ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Yes, I hate Hyundai for not having AT in top spec and this is where Honda triumphs, as they end up giving AT in their top spec models without skimping on any feel-good features.
Swanilrules - That is not an apple to apple comparison. Honda doesn't offer a AT in diesel at all. Hence whatever Hyundai offer is what we will have to live with as competition doesn't even offer an option. For Petrol AT, both hyundai and honda have a top end variant with AT.
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 16:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Just out of curiosity, any reasons for not choosing AT considering they have now added 6 Speed AT as opposed to outgoing 4 Speed AT.
============
Congratulations once again and enjoy your ride. Drive Safe
Thanks a lot !! There is no AT in SX(O) variant (diesel). While the SX+ AT has more features than its manual counterpart, it still misses out on certain key features compared to the SX(O) (Smart Trunk is one I can think of right away). I always go for the most loaded variant. Plus, I find AT to be very useful in city driving conditions only; on the highway, personally I feel a bit disconnected from the car if its an AT, with cruise (I do that quite often in the US). I drive between Hyderabad, Bangalore and Chennai pretty frequently and those I do on my diesels. So, even if they had an AT option in SX(O) variant, I might still have opted for the stick shift to preserve the driving pleasure and stay more involved with the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan View Post
Didn't notice this till you brought it up. I have never liked the extra chrome accessories which some people put on their cars and to me the car looks the best as the manufacturer intended it to be.

So when the SA told me that they are giving me an extra complimentary chrome slat on the boot I was a little worried. Thankfully it didn't look bad and I retained it.
First of all - congratulations to you too for the new car!! Wish you many many happy and safe miles. Looking forward to exchanging observations / best practices / mods (if any) etc. Thanks for sharing the pics; yours looks like a silver & that's the only other color that looked stunning to me. Great choice

The official website does not call it out anywhere that the chrome garnish on the boot is an optional accessory!! I learnt that it was, when I checked the e-brochure - there's a little asterisk to the feature and fine print calling it out as an accessory that's not a part of the standard equipment.
I am not a chrome fan either. But this one looks very neat for a change on the Verna.
RaghuChn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 22:37   #29
BHPian

Congratulations RaghuChn. Wish you many many happy miles with your new ride.

Which tyre came stock with the car?
X-Factor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 10:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
Congratulations RaghuChn. Wish you many many happy miles with your new ride.

Which tyre came stock with the car?
Thanks !
The 16" alloys wear Bridgestone Ecopia EP150, 195/55 R16;
The spare is not an alloy and wears the Ceat SecuraDrive, 185/65 R15 shoes.
RaghuChn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks