Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2017, 11:13   #31
BHPian

Re: The 5th-Gen Hyundai Verna: 1st Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Congrats RaghuChn on your new car!!!! The new Verna looks and drives amazing. Happy miles ahead!!!

Swanilrules - That is not an apple to apple comparison. Honda doesn't offer an AT in diesel at all. Hence whatever Hyundai offer is what we will have to live with as competition doesn't even offer an option. For Petrol AT, both Hyundai and Honda have a top end variant with AT.
Ohh, I wasn't aware that Hyundai is offering AT in top spec at least in petrol trim. However, it's always a feel-good factor for guys choosing Diesel in AT avatar that at least they didn't have to skimp on few features here and there.
Old 28th September 2017, 16:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

If Hyundai has sorted out the poor driving dynamics in Verna, I think this has to be easily the best car in class. Powerful refined engine, feature rich, looks neat and big.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 17:44   #33
BHPian

Some more detail on the New Verna, which I happened to discover over the last couple of days -

- The DRLs go off the moment handbrake is deployed
- Sunroof has a 2nd stage open, beyond where it stops at 1 touch command. Repeat the 'Open' and it retracts further by a few more inches. This is different from the tilt function - push the button upwards and the sunroof tilts upwards.
- Hyundai seems to be doing away with the age-old 'Trip Meter' system. They now have 'Accumulated Info', which gathers cumulative drive info (Distance Covered, Mileage, Time run etc.) and is possible to be reset manually. The Current Trip Info shows the same stats for each trip. If you do turn the engine off for more than about 5-7 minutes (I will time this exactly in days to come), it resets to zero, and treats the next leg as a fresh trip. Then, there's a separate MID option that shows the mileage - average and instantaneous. This can be reset on every fuel filling (MID Setting) or left to continue cumulatively.
- When you open the Sunroof, the AC switches to Fresh Air mode automatically, if it was in the internal circulation mode. It restores, when the sunroof is closed.
- AVN does not allow video playback when the car is in motion. Similarly, no MID settings can be accessed until the handbrakes are deployed.
- The steering direction indicator at the start has also been done away with (it was there in my i20 & I assume it would have been there in the 4S Verna as well). An expert driver will anyways never need this support feature showing which way to turn the steering to straighten the car up just before pulling away.

Question - Request experts to explain what 'Clutch Lock' is for a feature! I had that on my i20 as well, but haven't been able to figure out exactly what it is (if I do not believe what the ASS guys tell me). They tell me that it is a feature that requires the clutch to be depressed to be able to start the car. If that's what it is, then it has been a useless call out in both, the i20 (Asta) as well as the Verna - both are push button starts
RaghuChn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 19:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Congratulations on your new ride. What is your opinion about the twin tone seats, IMO they don't look nice. They have deleted some features like auto folding mirrors, which were available on the previous models.
Thanks!

I like the dual tone interior - lighter tone makes it feel much larger, open and airy. The beige though (particularly on the doors and the seats), is a strong dirt magnet and I have already started to feel the need to clean the interiors more often than I am used to on any of my other cars.

Well, on a white, exteriors are also pretty maintenance heavy - I can't pull the car out without getting it cleaned every day!
Old 28th September 2017, 23:35   #35
BHPian

Wow Raghu!

What quality review of an interesting car! I kept checking if this is the official review section.

This iteration of Verna seems to have hit a sweet spot with the looks, comfort, feature , performance, ride etc.

Hyundai started out as the underdog when Honda , Suzuki etc was ruling the roost. It has almost caught up with Honda now for brand value, refinement , performance, features, looks etc. In fact the Hyundai diesel engine is arguably one of the most refined of the lot.

The next complaint was that Hyundai cars have soft suspension, slow dynamics, numb steering, not as fun as Europeans etc. Now they have gradually improved every aspect with respect to performance, handling, ride, build quality. They are gradually trying to catch up with their European rivals.

Hyundai is at it with all guns blazing and other brands have now nowhere to hide. Verna is a prime example of this. As an ex Hyundai owner and present VW owner, I find these developments very interesting.

Btw what is C3? I always thought sub 4m compact sedans belong to C1 and >4m , 1.5/1.6 liter sedans as C2. Or is it like Ciaz, Etios etc are C2 and Verna, City, Vento etc are C3?

Last edited by rageshgr : 28th September 2017 at 23:41.
rageshgr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 05:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuChn View Post
The rear end is clutter free. Except the badging, there is no chrome – looks very neat.
Congratulations on your new car RaghuChn. A very good review.

One clarification though - The verna official site http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html mentions about Rear Chrome Garnish and I have attached a photo of the same. Yours being SX(O) model and still does not have it. I am wondering is it particular to any variant or is it a miss on your car?

Name:  Verna Rear Chrome Garnish.PNG
Views: 8310
Size:  60.9 KB
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 09:16   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
Congratulations on your new car RaghuChn. A very good review.

One clarification though - The verna official site http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html mentions about Rear Chrome Garnish and I have attached a photo of the same. Yours being SX(O) model and still does not have it. I am wondering is it particular to any variant or is it a miss on your car?

Attachment 1680799
Thanks!
I had talked about the exact same thing in the review too - not only mine but I had not seen that in any production car in the yard when I took delivery, even while the website calls it out as a feature. But later, I learnt that it is an accessory. If you download the e-brochure, this chrome slat has been linked to a fine print which clarifies that its an optional accessory.
Old 29th September 2017, 10:06   #38
BHPian

Congrats Raghu. Beautifilul car and excellent review. Hyundai has come a long way in our market and credit to them for offering such feature rich car.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 10:25   #39
BHPian

I have a flame orange SxO diesel and it came with rear garnish. May be they missed fixing it at your dealership. I got mine at HMP Chennai.

The 5th-Gen Hyundai Verna: 1st Ownership Review-1506660913763.jpg

But i am damn sure it was not there when i did a PDI. I have a pic of rear when i did a PDI side profile and i am not able to see it there too. May be its a gift? Or i am skeptical now that they stuck it to mask some damage?. Time to check.

Drashkum

Last edited by drashkum : 29th September 2017 at 10:33.
drashkum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 16:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Wow Raghu!

What quality review of an interesting car! I kept checking if this is the official review section.
Btw what is C3? I always thought sub 4m compact sedans belong to C1 and >4m , 1.5/1.6 liter sedans as C2. Or is it like Ciaz, Etios etc are C2 and Verna, City, Vento etc are C3?
Thank you sir - glad you liked it! It's a huge compliment to be compared with Team-BHP Official Reviews !
My understanding on the segmentation was the same too - C1, C2 and then D1 and D2 etc. But recently, I was skimping through an auto magazine and saw them call Honda City as a C3 sedan. Thought that's a newer industry accepted classification & went with it.
Traditionally, the C2 segment is supposed to be the top bracket within C, up to about 10 lakhs. And then we would have the D segment start. However, as we have seen on the pricing strategy of car makers in the last 5-8 years, there's no parity - we have so much choice with a very wide price band in each segment. Naturally, the Verna or the City or the Vento (or other similar 10+ lakhs cars) are above C2 but not D and hence the introduction of 'C3' - this is the only logic I can associate with why it would have been coined in the first place. I would love to be stood corrected if it should still have been called a C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
I have a flame orange SxO diesel and it came with rear garnish. May be they missed fixing it at your dealership. I got mine at HMP Chennai.
Many congrats on the new machine ! HMP is THE name to go to if you want to buy a Hyundai car in Chennai - the best I have known in the city, from a sales / service experience standpoint. Happy driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
But i am damn sure it was not there when i did a PDI. I have a pic of rear when i did a PDI side profile and i am not able to see it there too. May be its a gift? Or i am skeptical now that they stuck it to mask some damage?. Time to check.
Drashkum
I am pretty sure, it must have been added as a gift (like in the case of another fellow BHPian too). It is an accessory and not a part of the standard equipment, as the car's e-brochure clarifies. So, you're right - it would not have been there when you did the PDI.
Old 29th September 2017, 16:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
• Clutch is quite springy – eager to push back, just as in my other Hyundai (Elite i20 Asta CRDi)
Hey RaghuChn

Thanks for sharing the review. I think your review will help me a lot to decide on verna. I have three questions to ask if you can help me on them

1 By what you referred as clutch being springy - does that mean it could be a problem in stop and go traffic - chances of knee hurting ?
2 My second question is how do you find the rear seat comfort? Is the space comparable to i20 -better or worse ?
3 Third is the steering, i read and have seen certain review videos that the steering feedback has improved but is it still considered as light as we would like it to be in dense traffic.

The reason for asking these questions is that i am looking for a car for my daily commute. I was a little confused between an automatic or a manual. Also i need a light steering so as not to strain my neck when stuck in jams.

Thanks in Advance
RaSing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 17:35   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Question - Request experts to explain what 'Clutch Lock' is for a feature! I had that on my i20 as well, but haven't been able to figure out exactly what it is (if I do not believe what the ASS guys tell me). They tell me that it is a feature that requires the clutch to be depressed to be able to start the car. If that's what it is, then it has been a useless call out in both, the i20 (Asta) as well as the Verna - both are push button starts
Many congratulations on your new prized possession Raghu !!!

A wonderful, welcome review of the newest Verna ! No one had done till now although i presume few fellow BHP'ians have bought this new machine, "drashkum's" case in point; would have loved to gloat over few pictures of the " Flame Orange".

I drive a 4S Verna SX(O) petrol for the last two years & have been immensely satisfied with what the car has to offer. I must admire the way you have perused & described the features of the new 2017 Verna however i always thought Hyundai's have been more than generous in their offerings of features for their cars & it's only an afterthought that the competition has tried to match them, particularly the "Honda City" & the much talked about Suzuki 'Ciaz".

Strangely, Verna is quite incomparable simply for the phenomenal power it offers, add to it the comfort of driving; even after a 2000 kms trip over 4/5 days will not tire you at all. I don't agree with some of the comments on the forum about the driving dynamics of the Verna, whether 4S or not.

In fact, the 4S that i drive feels surely planted, does the corners beautifully, has no roll whatsoever & has an evened out suspension ( which was a sore point earlier resulting in the downfall of it's high market share once)

And now you have the beauty at your command with dazzling features. Enjoy the ride to the fullest !

I want to touch upon the " Clutch Lock " that you mentioned in the new 2017 Verna. Firstly i don't understand, even the 4S has a "Push Button " start but one has to keep the clutch pressed nonetheless while doing it otherwise it wouldn't start. Now, is there a new mechanism here which says if you don't have the key, the clutch wouldn't budge ( will not get pressed at all ) ???
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh Bhatt View Post

I want to touch upon the " Clutch Lock " that you mentioned in the new 2017 Verna. Firstly i don't understand, even the 4S has a "Push Button " start but one has to keep the clutch pressed nonetheless while doing it otherwise it wouldn't start. Now, is there a new mechanism here which says if you don't have the key, the clutch wouldn't budge ( will not get pressed at all ) ???
At least on SX variant I can confirm the Clutch Lock is same as you mentioned. I believe this helps avoiding cranking of the engine with gear engaged.

Last edited by lightpower : 2nd October 2017 at 08:42.
lightpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Hey RaghuChn

Thanks for sharing the review. I think your review will help me a lot to decide on verna. I have three questions to ask if you can help me on them

1 By what you referred as clutch being springy - does that mean it could be a problem in stop and go traffic - chances of knee hurting ?
2 My second question is how do you find the rear seat comfort? Is the space comparable to i20 -better or worse ?
3 Third is the steering, i read and have seen certain review videos that the steering feedback has improved but is it still considered as light as we would like it to be in dense traffic.

The reason for asking these questions is that i am looking for a car for my daily commute. I was a little confused between an automatic or a manual. Also i need a light steering so as not to strain my neck when stuck in jams.

Thanks in Advance
1. Yes, it is springy - when you drive in stop and go slow traffic where clutch maneuvers become essential, it does make you feel a tad uncertain of the point where the car surges forward. That said, if you are used to another Hyundai, it should not be a spot of bother - seems more like a family trait of the Hyundai's. But then, it is not bad enough to cause discomfort to the knee.
2. Rear seat comfort is better than i20's - the car is wider and has a longer wheelbase. The legroom is adequate for people upto about 6ft build, with similar folks occupying the front seats. The rear seat is perfectly reclined and bucketed for a comfortable long drive. Head room as well at the rear is not a spot of bother for occupants around 6ft tall. The arm rest in the middle with cup holders, rear AC vents and the mobile charging port add to the comfort.
The only sub-par aspect is, under-thigh support - certainly could have been better. I don't remember how it was in i20 though (had never sat in the rear seat on that one). Net-net, the car is very comfortable for people with average build. If we talk about folks ~6'2-3" tall or above, then yes, rear head / leg rooms will be at a premium.
3. The steering is the lightest you will find amongst the competition. Like I had mentioned, at slower speeds (upto about 35 kmph), the steering is super-light. It weighs up nicely as the speed increases beyond the 35-40 mark. I find the Verna to be very responsive to steering inputs and a breeze in dense, touch and go traffic.
If your drive is going to be within the city, then an automatic will make your commute effortless. What I would strongly recommend though, is for you to get a first hand TD experience. That'll give you a lot of specific insights pertaining to your driving needs and comfort.
Quote:
Many congratulations on your new prized possession Raghu !!!
Thank you !!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpower View Post
At least on SX variant I can confirm the Clutch Lock is same as you mentioned. I believe this helps avoiding cranking of the engine with gear engaged.
Yeah, so, it's one of those features which has been listed just to add to the count of features - at least on the variants with push-button start, because those will anyways need the clutch to be depressed. For those with a turning key, it is a true feature - like in SX or below.
There is no mechanism that stops the clutch from getting depressed, if the key fob wasn't detected in the vehicle. Would have been so nice if they could make it happen and then call it 'Clutch Lock'.
RaghuChn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:02   #45
BHPian

Clutch lock has been around in Hyundai cars for more than a decade now, Getz had it. Even the fluidic Verna had it.

From what I know, it is basically keeping the first gear engaged even when in neutral. This helps in 2 ways:
1. Prevents cranking when vehicle is not in neutral.

2. Additional restraint beyond the hand brake while parked.

Even with the cars that do not have this, I have read its a good practice to keep the clutch pressed while cranking - don't know if it really helps but I have been practicing it for long time on all cars. Don't see any harm.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks