Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2017, 15:29   #46
BHPian

Re: The 5th-Gen Hyundai Verna: 1st Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Clutch lock has been around in Hyundai cars for more than a decade now, Getz had it. Even the fluidic Verna had it.

From what I know, it is basically keeping the first gear engaged even when in neutral. This helps in 2 ways:
1. Prevents cranking when vehicle is not in neutral.

2. Additional restraint beyond the hand brake while parked.

Even with the cars that do not have this, I have read its a good practice to keep the clutch pressed while cranking - don't know if it really helps but I have been practicing it for long time on all cars. Don't see any harm.

Cheers!
Sorry, in advance, for beating this topic to death !

While I agree that the system prevents a crank without clutch being depressed, I don't quite think it virtually places the car in 1st gear.

If that was the case, towing a broken vehicle will not be possible.

I did try rolling my car down from my ramp in neutral, with the engine turned off - the car did move smoothly. (CAUTION: Try this after running the engine for a couple of minutes for the assisted brakes to get charged. With the engine turned off, the brakes will stop functioning after a few pumps / after a while).

I guess, this is a switch activated mechanism which connects the starter motor to power through clutch. Will try to find out more on this in my next visit to the ASS.
RaghuChn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 16:17   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuChn View Post
Question - Request experts to explain what 'Clutch Lock' is for a feature! I had that on my i20 as well, but haven't been able to figure out exactly what it is (if I do not believe what the ASS guys tell me). They tell me that it is a feature that requires the clutch to be depressed to be able to start the car. If that's what it is, then it has been a useless call out in both, the i20 (Asta) as well as the Verna - both are push button starts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Clutch lock has been around in Hyundai cars for more than a decade now, Getz had it. Even the fluidic Verna had it.
Rodie09 has got it partially right. The clutch lock doesn't lock the car in any gear; it is a safety feature to enforce that a crank doesn't result in the car lurching forward in case a gear is accidentally/intentionally engaged while starter cranks the engine.
I agree this is a good practice to keep the clutch pressed precisely for the reason above - to prevent lurch and potential mishaps due to it, doesn't matter whether the crank happens due to button-push or a key-turn.

I have a Verna AT (MY '11) and there, I need to be in 'Neutral' or 'Park', and the brake pedal needs to be pressed before the push-button would crank the engine.

Apart from Hyundai's, push button equipped Nissan Sunny and Nissan Micra feature this as well.

Last edited by actinium15 : 2nd October 2017 at 16:45. Reason: Edited for clarity
actinium15 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 16:24   #48
BHPian

Hi Raghu, a hearty congratulations on your beautiful Verna. We are going for the exact same specced car here in Gurgaon, awaiting delivery soon, it is a replacement for our Skoda Rapid 2012 Ambition. We had originally booked the Compass 4X2 Limited, but the stretch on our budget was a bit too much and plus that car wouldn't have left any utility for our X3. So we decided to step down a notch and look at the C Segment again. Had a few questions to bother you with, how do you find the throw of the lights at night? Rapid has a decently light clutch. Not too light but not exactly heavy either. In Gurgaon, none of the showrooms could offer the Verna manual diesel TD so we test drove the manual petrol and then the automatic diesel. As far as I remember, when I TDed the Creta, the clutch was manageable. I already saw your reply but many people are saying that the action is pretty springy, that gets me worried for my dad as he is 50 and loves driving still. Will it be much of an irritant? How is the pickup of the car? We have the older rapid with the 1.6 Diesel engine which was quite a beast, and still is after all these years, the Creta offered satisfactory performance, how is the Verna? All the reviewers seem to be quite pleased with the pickup but no review has compared it to Rapid or Vento yet. For reference, Rapid doesn't have much turbo lag, goes bonkers after 2000 RPM and starts producing boost from 1800 RPM upto 4700 RPM. One last question, some reviews seemed to find the brakes lacking, is that the case for you as well. Since you would have driven a bit more than when you penned this initial review down, how is your feedback? Rapid has phenomenal brakes and I wouldn't like to lose that quality. Hope I haven't bothered you with such a long post. Thanks.
CarLoverJosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 17:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Hi Raghu, a hearty congratulations on your beautiful Verna. We are going for the exact same specced car here in Gurgaon, awaiting delivery soon
Thanks !! Many congratulations on booking your new ride! As someone who has driven the same car for over 650kms as we speak, I can assure you, you won't be disappointed one bit
I will take your questions one by one below . And no worries - all the questions only help me sharpen my reviews & write-ups on this forum full of Gurus !!

Quote:
How do you find the throw of the lights at night?
The halogen projectors are decent. I can't obviously compare it to a HID's throw, but having driven on wet roads as well, I have nothing to complain against the stock illumination. The projector fog lamps too are brighter than what their size suggests. The most interesting thing for me is the cornering lamp (my first car with this feature) - pretty utilitarian, I must say.
Quote:
Rapid has a decently light clutch. Not too light but not exactly heavy either. In Gurgaon, none of the showrooms could offer the Verna manual diesel TD so we test drove the manual petrol and then the automatic diesel. As far as I remember, when I TDed the Creta, the clutch was manageable. I already saw your reply but many people are saying that the action is pretty springy, that gets me worried for my dad as he is 50 and loves driving still. Will it be much of an irritant?
If you have driven the manual petrol and the Creta, then that's exactly how the diesel manual Verna's clutch also feels. If your experience with your other Hyundais hasn't deterred you from going for the Verna, then trust me - it won't be an irritant. Here's wishing your dad many many happy miles with the New Verna

Quote:
How is the pickup of the car? We have the older rapid with the 1.6 Diesel engine which was quite a beast, and still is after all these years, the Creta offered satisfactory performance, how is the Verna? All the reviewers seem to be quite pleased with the pickup but no review has compared it to Rapid or Vento yet. For reference, Rapid doesn't have much turbo lag, goes bonkers after 2000 RPM and starts producing boost from 1800 RPM upto 4700 RPM.
There's absolutely no turbo lag in the Verna world as well. The torque delivery is very linear from about 1200 RPM all the way up to 3000 RPM. And the car does not even spare a thought before surging forward in the 2nd gear from about 1100 RPM (@ about 10 kmph). The whole concept of boost after a certain RPM does not seem to hold true for this Verna - it is pretty linear and feels very eager to accelerate (on paper, Verna's 260 NM kicks in between 1500 RPM to 3000 RPM).
Unfortunately, I haven't driven the Rapid or the Vento - so may not be able to provide you with an experiential comparison. Sorry about that.
Quote:
One last question, some reviews seemed to find the brakes lacking, is that the case for you as well. Since you would have driven a bit more than when you penned this initial review down, how is your feedback? Rapid has phenomenal brakes and I wouldn't like to lose that quality. Hope I haven't bothered you with such a long post. Thanks.
Brakes are pretty good. They have more than a decent response time at speeds below 100 kmph. Both, the bite as well as the car's subsequent attitude are excellent - there's no pitching and the car quickly comes to halt without any drama; ABS & EBD do their jobs well. I have given an account above on this thread, of my experience with hard braking once.
I am yet to drive it out long. Will keep the thread warm on my experience with high-speed braking (from upwards of 100-120 kmph).
Old 2nd October 2017, 20:34   #50
BHPian

Quote:
it is a replacement for our Skoda Rapid 2012 Ambition.
CarLoverJosh, I also have booked a Verna Diesel AT SX+ to replace my 2012 Rapid Elegance and can very well relate to most of your observations. Having TDed a Verna Diesel MT let me pitch in with my observations.

Quote:
As far as I remember, when I TDed the Creta, the clutch was manageable. I already saw your reply but many people are saying that the action is pretty springy, that gets me worried for my dad as he is 50 and loves driving still. Will it be much of an irritant?
I felt the Verna clutch to be super soft and comfortable to operate. I didn't feel any springy action at all, it was perfectly manageable and this is solely in comparison with my Rapid experience. The SA was saying these are electronic clutches (not sure how accurate this is) and do not get hard over time like Rapid's.

Quote:
How is the pickup of the car? We have the older rapid with the 1.6 Diesel engine which was quite a beast, and still is after all these years, the Creta offered satisfactory performance, how is the Verna? All the reviewers seem to be quite pleased with the pickup but no review has compared it to Rapid or Vento yet. For reference, Rapid doesn't have much turbo lag, goes bonkers after 2000 RPM and starts producing boost from 1800 RPM upto 4700 RPM.
The pickup and acceleration is excellent. Rapid surely has a bit of lag until it touches the 1500 rpm mark and feels a tad bit jerky till it hits the turbo in the first two gears. While in Verna it was smooth and linear in all the gears. I didn't get chance to go high speeds but I felt the initial pickup better than Rapid in lower gears. How Rapid behaves after the turbo kicks in is altogether a different story

Quote:
One last question, some reviews seemed to find the brakes lacking, is that the case for you as well. Since you would have driven a bit more than when you penned this initial review down, how is your feedback? Rapid has phenomenal brakes and I wouldn't like to lose that quality. Hope I haven't bothered you with such a long post. Thanks.
Verna brakes are good, but not there yet and this is the only aspect where I felt it lacking. It is probably stopping the car equally good as Rapid, but you don't get that confidence somehow. There is no soft play of the pedal which gradually converts to the tight grip and the assured braking experience that we get in Rapid. Here it feels tight as soon as you depress the pedal and give the impression it reached the limit already. Probably takes some time getting used to it.

Quote:
Rapid has a decently light clutch. Not too light but not exactly heavy either.
This is the only point I disagree. I always felt the clutch to be very hard right from day one and it has only gone worse overtime. But I got used to it and don't feel it much of a problem except in heavy traffic.
X-Factor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 14:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car RaghuChn.

I also bought one of these (SX+ AT D in Fiery red). Dealer didn't give me Owners manual / service booklet at the time of delivery. I had mistook the infotainment manual as car manual then. Are they one single booklet or two different books (Owner's manual and service coupons)?

The horn in Verna 2017 is better suited for a bike.
And that beeps on every lock/unlock. I so want to mute the lock/unlock, especially when I do that in the quiet neighborhood.

Quote:
, how is the Verna? All the reviewers seem to be quite pleased with the pickup but no review has compared it to Rapid or Vento yet. For reference, Rapid doesn't have much turbo lag, goes bonkers after 2000 RPM and starts producing boost from 1800 RPM upto 4700 RPM. One last question, some reviews seemed to find the brakes lacking, is that the case for you as well. Since you would have driven a bit more than when you penned this initial review down, how is your feedback? Rapid has phenomenal brakes and I wouldn't like to lose that quality. Hope I haven't bothered you with such a long post. Thanks.
I had TD'ed Rapid DSG and now owning a Verna 2017 SX+ AT Diesel.

DSG gearbox is a different game altogether. In Verna AT gearbox, the upshofts are quite ok, but there is a minuscule of a lag during down shifts, compared to DSGs.

Having said that, I like the overall performance a lot. It is indeed the 'overtaking machine' I wanted to get home in time, while driving through traffic infested single lane Kerala highways.

I have a Palio and I also regularly drive a Punto - great handling cars. Coming to Verna, I am not actually missing out anything as far as the handling characteristics of Verna are concerned. Need to appreciate that this is a very big change from the older Hyundai cars (boats) and this became very evident during my test drive, which led eventually to buying this car.

Braking is inferior to Punto, if that comparison helps.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd October 2017 at 14:52.
clevermax is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 15:53   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Congratulations on your new car RaghuChn.

I also bought one of these (SX+ AT D in Fiery red). Dealer didn't give me Owners manual / service booklet at the time of delivery. I had mistook the infotainment manual as car manual then. Are they one single booklet or two different books (Owner's manual and service coupons)?
Thanks a ton sir! And many congratulations on your new ride. Here's wishing you many many happy and safe miles
On the owners' manual, there are two of them. One for the infotainment system (which you have) and another one is the regular owners' manual with service coupons in it. Hyundai also gives a CD, which has the .pdf replica of the owners' manual.

Quote:
The horn in Verna 2017 is better suited for a bike.
And that beeps on every lock/unlock. I so want to mute the lock/unlock, especially when I do that in the quiet neighborhood.
totally!! However, most cars today have a similar honk. That's because of RTO regulations on sound pollution - the limit is 102.7 decibels. Not that there's a strict enforcement on the roads yet by the traffic authorities, but it is certainly advisable to keep it that way at least until the vehicle is registered. On a lighter note, this is still better - imagine the same (or, at least very similar) honk on an XUV 500 or a Fortuner !! LoL, ROFL !!

I don't know if there's a way to mute it for locks / unlocks. At least, my i20 would not sound the horn when locked / unlocked using the request button on the door handle. This one does, irrespective.
Old 3rd October 2017, 16:43   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Dealer didn't give me Owners manual / service booklet at the time of delivery. I had mistook the infotainment manual as car manual then. Are they one single booklet or two different books (Owner's manual and service coupons)?
The owners manual is in the CD that is pasted along with the Service Manual. I realized this when I noticed that the Service Manual booklet had no information about the buttons and switches. I was trying to figure out how to close AC vents for the passenger. Had to borrow a laptop from someone to copy the 54MB pdf from the CD onto a pendrive. Threw away the CD in trash after that.

Anyone able to use the Auto Link app on iOS 11? It crashes while opening since the OS update.
Saiyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 19:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan View Post
The owners manual is in the CD that is pasted along with the Service Manual. I realized this when I noticed that the Service Manual booklet had no information about the buttons and switches. I was trying to figure out how to close AC vents for the passenger. Had to borrow a laptop from someone to copy the 54MB pdf from the CD onto a pendrive. Threw away the CD in trash after that.

Anyone able to use the Auto Link app on iOS 11? It crashes while opening since the OS update.
I did not get the CD either. SA called me today and told me he will get these items in a couple of days.

If you have the pdf, can you please share me a dropbox/gdrive link?

Android Auto works flawlessly in my case. Android version Nougat 7.1.2.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd October 2017 at 19:59.
Old 3rd October 2017, 21:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I did not get the CD either. SA called me today and told me he will get these items in a couple of days.

If you have the pdf, can you please share me a dropbox/gdrive link?

Android Auto works flawlessly in my case. Android version Nougat 7.1.2.
Uploaded the manual here - https://ufile.io/fxc3w

I wasn't talking about Android Auto. That and Apple CarPlay works just fine. I was talking about the Auto Link app which connects with the OBD module and shows vehicle information like trip details and vehicle health.
Saiyan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 21:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan View Post
Uploaded the manual here - https://ufile.io/fxc3w
Saiyan! May I request you to post to following thread as well? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...format-13.html
(preferably as an attachment to the post if the team-bhp website allows a ~50MB file as attachment, since free 3rd party hosted files may become unavailable in future due to various reasons)
Old 3rd October 2017, 23:23   #57
BHPian

Quote:
The horn in Verna 2017 ... beeps on every lock/unlock. I so want to mute the lock/unlock, especially when I do that in the quiet neighborhood.
Quote:
I don't know if there's a way to mute it for locks / unlocks. At least, my i20 would not sound the horn when locked / unlocked using the request button on the door handle. This one does, irrespective.
Link below suggests to press lock+unlock button on remote together for 2s...can't be sure; never hurts to try, though.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/questio...ing-the-remote
Old 4th October 2017, 15:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
Link below suggests to press lock+unlock button on remote together for 2s...can't be sure; never hurts to try, though.
Sorry, but this did not work. I tried it today - when the car was locked, and then when it was unlocked, from outside the car and then sitting inside - all possible combinations! . Nothing worked.
Old 4th October 2017, 15:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post

https://www.yourmechanic.com/questio...ing-the-remote
Quote:
Sorry, but this did not work. I tried it today - when the car was locked, and then when it was unlocked, from outside the car and then sitting inside - all possible combinations! . Nothing worked.
Looks like there is no easy way out. I also wanted to reduce the volume level or disable that warning sound that is triggered when the key is inserted in the ignition slot when the door is open.
Old 5th October 2017, 11:00   #60
BHPian

Guys, If any one owns an EX variant, could you please post pictures of the same. Super confused if i should go for the EX variant - Petrol Automatic. The 15 inch wheels on the variant is my main concern. Any idea how the 5 inch infotainment system works on the EX variant? The EX petrol automatic variant costs 13.23 Lakhs in Bangalore!!

Last edited by Satishtv : 5th October 2017 at 11:24.

Most Viewed