Team-BHP - 2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/192163-2017-renault-duster-petrol-rxl-initial-ownership-report-1-233-km.html)

2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report at 1233 kms

Renault launched the Duster petrol variants in May 2017 with the new H4K 16V 1498cc engine. I got the Duster Petrol RXL(Manual) variant delivered one and half month back on 28th Sept 2017. As I didn’t find any review during my decision-making period, I am writing one to provide the information I was searching few months back. Do let me know if I missed to provide any vital information, and feel free to add, suggest and correct me.

What I like:What I don’t like:What I don’t care for:Modifications done:Background:
Was riding 2011 Chevrolet Beat diesel LT since 2011 and was happy with the car. Then, 3 years back I moved back to Bangalore. I shifted directly to my apartment which was handed over 6 months back. I found, 40 feet road was not ready as builder indicated at the time of booking. So, we got an off road stretch of around 400m. Suspension suffered twice since then and different set of suspension bushes were replaced each time. That was still okay for me as “I” was driving at 20-30 kmph even on the bad stretch whenever I was getting late. But then all of a sudden Chevrolet announced its exit plan from India by 2017 (Domestic sales only). Though they promise after sales service and spare availability, I don’t believe them.
I took an exception in the plan of keeping my Beat for at least 10 years.

The bad patch of the road
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-offroad1.jpg 2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-offroad2.jpg

My requirements for the new car:I completed 50,000 kms on my Beat within the first 3 years of ownership. But in the last 3 years only 10,000 kms got added to the odometer. My driving pattern is fixed now, I prefer bicycle over motorcycle, motorcycle over car and I use car only when needed. I am pretty sure that the new car will be used less than 5000 kms every year for the next three years. With this expected annual mileage, I decided to go for a car with a petrol engine.
Coming to the engine, my Beat has 3-cylinder engine with a Turbo. Whenever, I take the Beat out on road, after riding my motorcycle for few days the first thing I notice is the Turbo lag. Though after 30 mins of driving, mind gets adjusted to the Turbo lag, I think why to be uncomfortable for even those initial 30 mins? I answered myself by deciding to go for a Non-Turbo, naturally-aspirated engine for the new car. Moreover, a few times with bonnet opened, I noticed violently shaking engine on its mount. I agree, Chevrolet has done tremendous job of dampening the inherited vibration of the 3-cylinder engine, but why to let something bad happen and then control it? Most probably to keep the cost low and fuel efficiency high. But I cannot forget that violent shaking engine hence decided to get a car with a 4-cylinder engine.

The cars I considered:Both Ford Ecosport and Maruti Vitara Brezza are good cars, but the cabin space offered by them is less than what I was looking for. Moreover, Facelifted Ecosport and Brezza’s petrol variant launch didn’t happen till festive season.

Tata Nexon was launched just in time, so decided to check the car once. I called the KHT motors, ITPL main road, to take the test ride, and dealer refused to send the car to my office/home. They asked me to book an appointment before coming to the showroom so I booked an appointment for the coming Saturday at 3 pm. I reached the showroom exactly at 3 pm with my wife and meet the sales representative, he asked us to wait as the car still had not returned from the last test ride. We waited, at 3:15pm car came to showroom, and someone else took it for the test ride. Same thing repeated at 3:35pm. I asked the sales guy the meaning of the appointment and he told, “Sir, these guys came before you came”. I was happy that we were treated like this “before” I bought the car. We left the showroom without the test ride and decided we will not consider Nexon now.

I went to Force showroom on the Hosur road without any appointment and to found that they had only one test ride vehicle, that’s too the Explorer 4X4. Received a warm-hearted welcome from the sales representative. He convinced me to take the test ride, though I was like this is not the one I want to buy. I first thing I noticed was the steering wheel position, it was close to horizontal plane. I was not comfortable using it and my wife declined to try. Later I checked the brochure to find that there is no “Comfort” and “Safety” section in there. It is a rugged SUV without a single doubt and that’s too with a AC. We realized that this car can survive anything, but it is missing a list of things needed for our survival.

I checked the Mahindra TUV but never test rode it. We found that the 2 seats at rear are only for kids, and because of the seats, luggage space is limited too. Few other things I didn’t like about TUV are: Smaller wheel size not in proportion to the body size and 3-cylinder engine.

Why did I select Duster Petrol RXL version?
When I called the Renault Whitefield to check if they have RXL Petrol variant available for the test ride. They said “yes” and asked for the suitable time they can come with the car. They arrived on time, and I started the test ride with the checklist ready in my mind. I drove it over the same bad patch of road at 30-40 kmph, I felt only few big patches of uneven surface, that’s too minimized to a large extent. It made me happy deep within. Second thing I tested was the 0-60 kmph pickup and was satisfied with the result. I could not test it beyond 60 kmph as the nearest highway is 18kms away from my place. I came back and checked the rear seat comfort. With the front seat adjusted for my driving, I was able get in easily and sit comfortably in the rear seat. I am slightly longer than 5 feet 10 inches. The only high priory check remaining was, will it fit in my parking. I told sales girl, if it doesn’t fit in my parking, even I like the car, I’ll not be able to buy it. Till now she was describing all the features continuously, she stopped moment she heard me. I was again at driver seat, everyone was sitting silent, I drove till my parking. I did reverse parking and car was parked successfully with 3 inches from the pillars on right side and 6 inches from the rear-view mirror of my Yamaha R3. No one was able to get down other than me, so I get the car again out of my apartment.
She asked, Sir which version you are planning to take. I told it will be RXL. She tried to convince me for Diesel engine RXL, I told her I have my calculations done already, Petrol is best suited for my usage. Then she tried a lot to convince me for CVT RXS version, telling its automatic. I explained her, my life is already too boring, and automatic car will make it worse. Automatic gearbox was the only reason I didn’t went for RXS variant irrespective of its additional features: passenger airbag, alloy wheels and touch screen infotainment systems. It was just 75k more premium, but for me issue was not 75k, issue was that CVT gearbox I didn’t ask for. So, Petrol Duster RXL(Manual) was final. We were interested in Green colour, and sales girl told, there is one available in the Chennai yard, and we can get delivery immediately after the full payment.

Booking and Delivery experience:
Around 2 weeks after the test ride, on 23rd September 2017, we went to Renault Whitefield. We met the same sales representative, and she confirmed Green Colour Duster Petrol RXL is still available in the Renault’s Chennai yard. She also confirmed delivery will be done on the 28th September 2017 as per our preference. I paid the booking amount. Till this point things were smooth and expected. I asked for the VIN just after the payment, and I was told as our systems is down we can’t get you that right away, and will send tomorrow. Next day I called again for the VIN, I was told that system is still down. I called again on Monday morning and then I was told, “Sir, unfortunately someone else bought the same Duster yesterday, please select some other colour”, I asked “Your system was down, how did that happen?” and she had no answer. I asked to talk to her manager, and I was told she is busy. After multiple retries, I was able to talk to the manager at around 2 pm, but without any result. Due to personal reasons, I had to get the car delivered on 28th September 2017 as per the initial plan, at any cost. I considered multiple things and went ahead with the Cayenne Orange colour. Will create a separate thread later on this whole experience and what I am doing about this unethical business practice. For now, you can learn from my experience, I knew even then I fell into this trap. Never pay unless you are provided with the VIN if dealer is claiming car is there in the yard/stock.

I cleared all the payments as per the initial plan by 27th Sep 2017 evening. I got the car delivered on 28th Sept 2017 evening. On the way home, I found ride was very bumpy and I can feel even small pebbles on the road. Soon it became dark so I switched on the lights, found that high beam was directed down towards road, I used the headlight adjuster to find that it was already there in the highest position and rotating the knob was lowering it further. I decreased my speed to 30 kmph whenever there was free road.
As soon as I reached home I checked the manual to find the steps to adjust the headlight beam. I found it, direction of headlight beam can be adjusted by rotating one plastic knob with ‘+’interface on it. I brought the screw driver and levelled the headlight. I waited till morning to measure the pressure on cold tyres and found it to be 35 psi. As recommended tyre pressure for Duster is 29 psi, I pressed the valve pin and let the air pass out in small burst for all tyres, till pressure was down to 29 psi.

Knob to adjust the headlight beam
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-headlightadjscrew.jpg

Used '+' head screwdriver to adjust the headlight
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-adjustingheadlight.jpg

Experience with the car so far:
Ride quality of the car is as per my expectation. It absorbs almost every potholes and illegal speed breakers. On highways, driving dynamics is good till 100 kmph, I didn’t witness body-roll too. Haven’t driven over 100 kmph because of the speed limits of the highways I drove on. Wind noise increases at higher speeds, that is because Duster’s body is not very streamlined and its cabin is not well insulated.

First gear is short which helps the car climb inclination easily. Moreover, it enables to crawl in the traffic without pressing clutch frequently. Legal speed breakers can be crossed in the second gear without pressing clutch and feather touching the brake pedal.

My expected fuel efficiency, based on ARAI certificate for Duster, was 8 kmpl in the city and 13 kmpl on highways. Looks like I understand my driving style pretty well as I am getting 8.5-9 kmpl in city and around 13 kmpl on highways. 13 kmpl is the fuel efficiency I am getting when driving at 90-100 kmph on highways, and I believe it will fall below 12 kmpl if driven at 110 – 120 kmph on the expressways with speed limits of 120 kmph. There is an Eco Mode functionality too, I never used it till date but might use after 2000 kms on odometer. Duster onboard computer shows both average and instantaneous fuel efficiency in L/100 km, which was a bit inconvenient for initial few days.

Unit of fuel efficiency is L/100 km. Currently displaying average fuel consumption(driven only in city)
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-avgfuelconsumption.jpg

I found the onboard computer of the Duster very helpful. It shows the following information:By default, I set it to show the instantaneous fuel efficiency. This data is always around 2 seconds old. Example, if you press the accelerator suddenly, the value (in L/100) will increase after around 2 seconds. 2 seconds delay is expected as computer need some time frame (might be 2 seconds) to measure how much fuel is being consumed and how much distance was covered in the same time. I use this value on the fly to learn and control sudden accelerations. I found all the reading related to the fuel consumption to be close to the actuals (I did full tank to full tank method once, and values almost matched). I switch to “Time view” when I am stuck in traffic and traffic signal is not visible. During morning and evening hours, few times I check the outside temperature, if temperature is less than 22 degrees Celsius, I switch off the AC and run only the blower with inlet directed to take input from outside. Computer display views can be switched using the button at the end of the Wiper control lever, which is easily accessible without removing the hand from the steering wheel. Switching between the view was tiring during initial days, but now I remember that it takes 4 clicks to switch from instantaneous speed view to time view and 1 more click to check the outside temperature. I press 5 times to move back to instantaneous speed view. Everything is good about this computer other than one thing, it doesn’t take risk of telling distance to empty once car moves to reserve.

Button with 3 dots is used to operate the on-board computer
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-buttonforonboardcomputer.jpg

The quality of music is good, it covers both bass and treble. 6 FM channels can be stored and tuned to the click on just one dedicated button for each. It pairs with the phone over Bluetooth, which can be used to dial and receive calls. Moreover, songs can be played from the phone over Bluetooth. The best part is the remote control for the Infotainment system. It is fixed behind the right side of the steering wheel. Volume adjustment and mute/unmute can be done by accessing the two side pull switches for volume without removing the hands from the wheels. But to use the 2 push buttons on the top and 1 push button on the bottom, I need to remove right hand from the steering.

It displays the signal strength of the connected phone, also beeps when phone battery is low
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-infotainmentsystem.jpg

Notice the 2 buttons on the top and 1 on the bottom of the remote unit
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-multimediaremotebehindsteeringwheel.jpg

I like the Duster’s door lock/unlock feature. There is no dedicated lock controller along with the door open lever. If door is locked, it is just locked from outside. From inside, just pulling the door open lever unlocks the door before opening it. There is child lock to override this behaviour. The doors are locked automatically when speed of the car crossed 7 kmph. Doors can be locked/unlocked using the button on the central dashboard too.
The placement of power window buttons is a bit out of place, as usage is occasional, I still have to find it. ORVM controller joystick is at the good location and I can operate if while sitting in driving position.

There is no dedicated lock lever along with door open level. Also notice the placement of power window switches
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-orvmjotstick.jpg

Visibility if pretty good. Bonnet is visible while driving
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-visiblebonnet.jpg

A pillars are slim and blocks minimal portion of view
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-goodvisibilityarondapiller.jpg

The rear windows cannot be rolled fully down. It stops at around 20-30% of glass remaining. I am okay with that. I believe this is better than the higher window line with 100% rolling down windows.

Rear window fully rolled down
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-fulltrolleddownrearwindow.jpg

I found that there is no plastic guard present for the spare wheels
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-sparewheelwithoutplasticguard.jpg

I don’t prefer to drive at night, and Duster’s weak headlight give me another reason not to drive after dark. I feel speed over 40 kmph unsafe with that headlight even in high beam. If it happens in future that I need to drive during night at speed greater than 40 kmph, I will get additional lights installed.

The other thing I don’t like about Duster is Manual AC with those mechanical rotatory dials and controls.
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-manualcontrol.jpg

When I zeroed on RXL variant, I already had plans to get the missing things in the car. I planned to get Alloy wheels, artificial leather seat cover and reverse camera. The only missing thing I cannot get is the passenger airbag, so convinced my wife to sit on rear seat when we are on the highway.

Drive Report:

City driving
Short first and second gear make city driving easy. In first gear, speed with default acceleration is around 6-7 kmph, which helps a lot in slow moving traffic. I just crawl in first gear, and accelerate a bit when gap increases with car in front of me. There are times when traffic is not smooth and kind of repetitive stop and go. Light clutch of Duster makes driving in that scenario effortless too. Second gear is perfect for crossing any bad patch of the road. Default speed in 2nd gear is around 15kmph, which avoid any sudden jerk on suspension because of bad road. Legal speed brakers can be crossed in second gear without any clutch and a little brake, I do that. When there is less traffic, Duster is best driven in the 4th gear till 60 kmph. I don’t put it to 5th gear unless I can see a traffic free road for at-least a km in front of me. Engine pull is good, right from its idle speed and its fun after 2000 rpm. For chauffeur style driving, keep the needle South of 2000 on the rpm meter which I do while going to office. While coming back from office, I do up-shifting at 2500 rpm and down-shifting at 1500 rpm, that makes me reach home a bit alive. Anything above 2500 rpm in city will most probably fall in rash driving. Engine is very capable in city and combined with the first and second short gears, it’s a bliss. With the above-mentioned driving pattern, it returns 8.5-9 kmpl in the city.

On Highways
Duster is good on highways till 100 kmph, have not driven above that speed. At 100 kmph in 5th gear, rpm meter is a bit above 3000 rpm. Normal overtaking at those speed is easy too, but if you want to overtake really fast, you will have to downshift. Engine noise starts to penetrate the cabin above 2500 rpm but gets a good competition from the wind noise if you are already in 5th gear and driving above 80 kmph. I personally prefer a car with less drag coefficient for any speed above 100 kmph. But I will have to work 72 hours a day to get 1 small hatchback for city, 1 SUV for off-roads, 1 MUV for airport trips and 1 super car for highways. I am too lazy to work even 9 hours a day, so I’ll come back to Duster. I didn’t notice any body roll till 100 kmph. Just for the reference, I had witness body roll in my friend’s 2012 Honda city with stock steel wheels and tyres while changing the lane at around 100 kmph. Based on the engine behavior, I think Duster can cruise at 140 kmph all day, but occupants might need noise suppressing ear plug to avoid headache because of wind noise. While cruising at 90-100 kmph Duster returns a fuel efficiency of 13 kmpl.

The new petrol engine
I feel the H4K 16V 1498cc petrol engine is quite potent and match perfectly with the dimension and weight of the car. Its power output is 106 ps at 5600 rpm and torque is 142Nm at 4000 rpm. As there is no Turbo, the power/displacement and power/weight ratio are less. But as there is no Turbo, there is no Turbo lag too. I don’t care about the numbers because when I drive my Duster in city, off road or on highway, I never felt I need more power from the engine. I like the engine rev sound in 4th and 3rd gear above 3000 rpm. Engine gives the best of both the world, drive it gently, it returns a decent fuel efficiency (for a non-Turbo petrol engine installed on a bit heavy body with high drag-coefficient). Drive with heavy foot, and it performs as per expectation. The engine power delivery is linear starting right from the idle speed till 4000 rpm(waiting for 3000 kms on Odometer to rev above that).

Gearshift and Clutch
I feel Clutch is soft to operate and doesn’t causes any pain in the leg on continuous use. Though there is a little problem with the Clutch pedal (and Brake pedal too). When I remove the foot from the pedal suddenly, it causes a thud, which indicates there is small play in the non-operational position of the pedal. There is no dead pedal, but there is enough space beside the clutch pedal to pass and keep the left foot on the floor. Gearshift is precise, but initially I felt it need a little more force to clog into and clog out of a gear. But now it seems I am adjusted to it. First two gears are on short and helps in driving around city and climbing steep inclines. Last 3 gears, I feel are perfectly matched.

Overall NVH levels
Noise insulation is below my expectation. Engine sound starts to come in the cabin starting from 2500 rpm and increases with the rpm. Wind noise starts at around 80 kmph and increases with the speed. But at 100 kmph in 5th gear, I am able to ignore both the noises. I feel blower also makes noise when running at max speed. Few times, when car is bit inclined towards left, I noticed the vibration of AC compressor on the steering wheel and gear lever.

Suspension and ride quality
Suspension is not too hard nor too soft. It’s perfectly balanced for both bad road and highway. Though the new car feels a bit bouncy when driven alone, with 4 occupant it rides smoothly on the bad road. The test ride Duster was riding well on bad road only with 2 occupants. Feels planted at 3 digits speed on the highway. I didn’t noticed any body roll while changing lanes or on curved road. Ride quality is superb, I was energetic even after riding it for 3 hrs continuously on the mix of highway and off-road.

Hydraulic Power Steering
Steering is not feather light, but it’s not hard too. It gives a good feedback of the road and I love it. On the bad patch of the road, it enables me to take corrective action in time. Turning radius is 5.2 meters which is close to the turning radius of few hatchbacks. Though one precaution need to be taken, always steer only when car is in motion. That avoid extra pressure on the HPS(Hydraulic Power Steering), increases life of the HPS. I witnessed a little problem too, when I stop and start the engine in traffic, a few times Power Steering activation takes a while (up to 5 secs or till you steer 30 degrees left or right forcefully, whichever is earlier)

Brakes
This version of Duster is equipped with the ABS, which is a good safety feature. It prevents wheels from locking and loosing grip in case of hard breaking or slippery surface or both. Duster got front disc and read drum brake setup, which works perfectly. I found braking power to be adequate considering the size and weight of the Duster.

Here are a few more photos:

Duster, in its natural habitat
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-frontright.jpg

The rear left view
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-rearleft.jpg

View from the left
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-left.jpg

Momo alloy - closeup
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-alloys.jpg

Artificial leather seat cover
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-artleathercover.jpg

Additional display for the rear view camera
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-additionaldisplay.jpg

Rear view camera position
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-cameraposition.jpg

Camera feed on display, see the rear bumper line on the bottom of display
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-camerafeedondisplay.jpg

Extra accessories for unexpected bad time
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-extraaccessories.jpg

Engine bay
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-enginebay.jpg

Instrument panel
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-console.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetaWatt (Post 4300179)
The only missing thing I cannot get is the passenger airbag, so convinced my wife to sit on rear seat when we are on the highway.

Dude! Safety is important and all but come on.

Congratulations on the new car! Red is a beautiful colour on the Duster. I had my heart set on the Duster but the poor quality of interiors killed it for me. It has a lot going for it though.

Many congratulations on your new ride. Wishing you many many happy miles and moments with it !
A good detailed and honest review too!! Sure it will help many a potential buyers out there.

I particularly loved your style of writing. Fantastic & engaging. I am getting late to work, but could not get off this review before I finished it lol:

Quote:

We realized that this car can survive anything, but it is missing a list of things needed for our survival.

(On Force Motors)

Quote:

But I will have to work 72 hours a day to get 1 small hatchback for city, 1 SUV for off-roads, 1 MUV for airport trips and 1 super car for highways. I am too lazy to work even 9 hours a day, so I’ll come back to Duster.

Keep it coming buddy! Congratulations again.

Regards,
Raghavan.

Quote:

[b]I got the Duster Petrol RXL(Manual) variant delivered one and half month back on 28th Sept 2017.

Congratulations on the purchase!

Quote:

Tata Nexon was launched just in time, so decided to check the car once. I called the KHT motors, ITPL main road, to take the test ride, and dealer refused to send the car to my office/home. They asked me to book an appointment before coming to the showroom so I booked an appointment for the coming Saturday at 3 pm. I reached the showroom exactly at 3 pm with my wife and meet the sales representative, he asked us to wait as the car still had not returned from the last test ride. We waited, at 3:15pm car came to showroom, and someone else took it for the test ride. Same thing repeated at 3:35pm. I asked the sales guy the meaning of the appointment and he told, “Sir, these guys came before you came”. I was happy that we were treated like this “before” I bought the car. We left the showroom without the test ride and decided we will not consider Nexon now.
Experiences like these can be such a deal breaker. This is one of the reasons why most people trust Maruti and Hyundai more than they trust Tata. And IMO, incidences like these shouldn't be happening. If there was going to be a delay because of more customers being in the showroom, they should have informed you in advance. A phone call could have made a lot of difference.

Quote:

Ride quality of the car is as per my expectation. It absorbs almost every potholes and illegal speed breakers.
A classic Duster quality. Seems to suit perfectly for your neighbourhood road conditions.

Overall, thanks for the review of your car accompanied by detailed pictures. It looks great in Orange (unfortunate that you didn't get the green colour you wanted). Wishing you good luck with the car.

Congrats on your well written reivew and ride. If I were you, I'd have gotten the CVT, it would save you a lot of hassle of driving it in B'lore.

Excellent write-up PetaWatt, I considered the Duster too before making my purchase a few months back. The ride quality is certainly unmatched and the car does have a lot going for it, specially in Bangalore where the roads are sometimes just not present. Wishing you a lot of happy miles on this car!

Abhi

Congrats on the Duster, I took delivery a day after you did from the same showroom; Renault Whitefield, albeit an RXS CVT; I live at the epicentre of the traffic situation in Bangalore; Kadubeesinahalli! :-)

I am sorry as well you were unable to get the Green color you wanted and also surprised to hear about the VIN issue. My sales person on the other hand was very forthcoming with information and was very realistic with expectations as well, I was able to get the VIN in the 2nd/3rd day and delivery in less than a week from booking without any issues.

Congrats again and happy driving!

Congrats on the Duster petrol! Must say that, you have been very honest and open with this review :) IMHO, New Orange color looks awesome compare to green color. I also liked the Momo alloys. It's going good with the exterior color. Congrats again & Wish you many more happy miles with the beast :thumbs up

Dear Sir,
You have nicely explained about your car and it’s features. I also liked the positioning of the rear view camera, which is an ideal location, and the view offered by it. By the by, which is the brand of the camera and the display unit?
Thanks.
Muniswami s

Congratulations on your new car mate. Of course the Renault Duster is one of the best VFM cars of its class and your choice seems spot on. I see you have gone for the Petrol motor which is logical given your low mileage per annum.

On a personal note though, when the petrol Duster was launched earlier this year, I was keen on buying it as a replacement for my MS Swift Vdi, the Petrol motor with what I assume is a Nissan sourced CVT and the new mocha brown interior seemed very attractive but on test drive the interior quality was so poor it really put me off. Apart from material quality the Duster is an absolute gem on Indian roads.

Thank you all for your kind wishes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaghuChn (Post 4301123)
A good detailed and honest review too!! Sure it will help many a potential buyers out there.

I particularly loved your style of writing. Fantastic & engaging. I am getting late to work, but could not get off this review before I finished it lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAHS (Post 4301311)
Must say that, you have been very honest and open with this review :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shady8701 (Post 4301147)
Excellent write-up PetaWatt

Thanks for the boost. This is my first post ever, and your encouragement means a lot to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aryayush (Post 4300962)
Dude! Safety is important and all but come on.

I feel safety is like a chain, no stronger than its weakest link.

In Oct 2013, I was driving from Hyderabad to Bangalore. Just after Kurnool, on the other side of road, I saw a Tata Manza around at 500m, driving like a snake. It was about to cross the median to hit our car, just before that it took a steep turn and collided with the small concrete wall on the other side of the road. I saw the engine compartment of the car being crushed before it was thrown off the road. I parked my car, crossed the road, and ran towards the totalled car. I was relaxed when I saw kids were trying to jump out from the rear window, and both husband and wife were struggling to open the gate. Both the airbags were almost deflated after doing their duty. Within 2 mins few truck drivers appeared and joined me to open the front doors forcefully. The guy had slept while driving and woke up at the moment he was about to hit the median.
I learnt 3 things from that accident:
  1. If I am driving safely, doesn’t mean I am safe.
  2. Airbag saves life (obviously with the seat belts on)
  3. Rear seats are safer than front ones in the case of head on collision (only with seat belts on and no airbags)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omkar (Post 4301141)
A phone call could have made a lot of difference.

This is the ideal world expectation. In this world, number of appointments is being used by companies just to determine and boast about the popularity of the product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango Dude (Post 4301143)
If I were you, I'd have gotten the CVT, it would save you a lot of hassle of driving it in B'lore.

Agree, if driving is a hassle for anyone. But driving is one of the very few activity makes me feel good and alive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raamki (Post 4301175)
My sales person on the other hand was very forthcoming with information and was very realistic with expectations as well

I was expecting the same. Seems like, the colour you selected was really available with them. I met with another victim when I went to showroom to get the seat covering done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smuniswami (Post 4301315)
Dear Sir,
You have nicely explained about your car and it’s features. I also liked the positioning of the rear view camera, which is an ideal location, and the view offered by it. By the by, which is the brand of the camera and the display unit?

Please don't call me Sir. I am really happy you like the review. It was a bit difficult to install the camera in that position as the mount surface was not horizontal and also because there was less space inside to put the bolt (the unlock button of the hatch leaves very less clear area)

Did you notice? Camera is not parallel to the surface where it is mounted. I used Feviquick on these two points where camera is touching the panel.
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-camerainstallation.jpg

I used Dough to find the actual clearance for fitting in the bolt of the camera. And used MSeal instead of bolt as surface was inclined
2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km-useddoughtocheckclearance.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by smuniswami (Post 4301315)
By the by, which is the brand of the camera and the display unit?

I bought the Display unit from Amazon (for just Rs.1385). It comes with a camera which can be used as the bottle cork after cutting the wire.
Camera was bought from the Amazon too (for Rs.2500). Was shipped from the US though it’s made in China. But it got CCD sensor, looks like China makes good products only for US market.
You can use “car rover, reverse camera” to search and find the Camera and “autotrends car rear view combo” to search and find the Display on amazon.in. I am not posting the direct links as it will be of no use to others after link expires (because of product/seller change).

Congratulation PetaWatt. I am sure duster will give you many smiling miles. My Duster displays the Fuel economy on KMPL. I am not sure why yours doesn't. I am sure there must be a hack to change it to KMPL.

Superbly written review !!

Anyone else got a Duster without plastic guard below the spare wheel or/and L/100 km unit on Duster's computer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaBravo (Post 4301739)
Congratulation PetaWatt. I am sure duster will give you many smiling miles.

Superbly written review !!

Thank you.

Quote:

My Duster displays the Fuel economy on KMPL. I am not sure why yours doesn't.

What is the variant of your Duster? When did you booked, before or after May 2017?

Quote:

I am sure there must be a hack to change it to KMPL.

Yes, hack should be there. But it will be great if we can toggle between the units (as a functionality without any hack)