Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2017, 19:01   #31
BHPian

re: White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
..(Stupid positioning of the air intake as indicated by Adneo), but if you are looking at say a 50-50 city-highway figure you can easily achieve that if you drive sensibly. I am getting a constant 10.4 kmpl in my remapped jet.

I don't know which showroom you went to to TD ...

Good luck with your search.
Thanks keroo1099 for your inputs. My usage is about 60% highway out of about 9-10k Kms in a year since I don't use the car to commute to work. So based on this and your experiences, looks like 12km/l on average should be achievable even if I don't drive cautiously always

At the risk of going really OT on Wildy's thread, I visited KHT, Domlur showroom too. And they actually didn't have the TD car available in the afternoon. They got it by evening and called me back

I didn't really understand the air intake funda though.Is it something that needs to be re-routed and can we attempt a DIY ?
Sangre is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 19:59   #32
BHPian

Congrats raaj sir. Just came from a 400 km round trip and what astonished me was the mileage. Abarth gave me a surprising 14 kmpl at a constant 120 kmpl cruising, but anything above 140 kmph mileage drops close to 10 kmpl. This engine is a gem and can easily kill any car below 20 lakhs. My previous car was a vw polo and now this small fiat has really sweeped me off my feet. Now I understand why there are "fiat crazy" people around.

I'm sure you must have driven the Abarth. Can you elaborate on the differences you felt, especially the driving dynamics and suspension ?

Last edited by nitninja : 13th November 2017 at 20:02.
nitninja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 13:57   #33
BHPian

Enough has been said of the car and its capabilities. This review perfectly showcases how Fiat can bring together a bunch of enthusiasts, all passionate about their FIATs. Wishing you many more miles!
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 21:26   #34
BHPian

Congrats on the car and awesome write up. I have also been a Fiat fan for a long time. I did look at the Urban Cross powered by Abarth when buying my new car, but dropped it because of fuel economy concerns. Besides, Vecto Motors, who are the closest to me, did not have the Abarth version for test drive.
Loved your perseverance inspite of not getting much help from the Fiat dealer. Wishing you lots of happy miles in the car.
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 14:29   #35
BHPian

Wishing you may more years of ownership on this great car Wildy. Couple of my friends have gone ahead and bought Puntos and are extremely happy about their machines except the dealer / service experience. There is a FIAT dealer near my home. The buzz used to be missing from that place until the advent of the Jeep Compass. That place is quite a looker now with Jeep, Aparth and FIAT logos exhibited prominently in large billboards. I still remember the older Fiat 1100 or the Premier Padmini later and ruminate over things that could go wrong for an automobile company. As someone said, they are happy with selling their engines and be a mute spectator to the market demands. I wonder if the success of the Compass will have a rollover effect on FIAT as well.
sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 08:42   #36
BHPian

Friends, first of all kindly accept my apology for the delayed reply as I was very busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
Let me congratulate you once again for purchasing a vehicle which is going to be pretty hard to find on the roads of this country. ....Something that I never liked in the Abarth was the orange illumination on the gauges as I didn't feel it was soothing but a bit harsh. I would prefer a nice blue/white theme or red/white theme for the gauges ala the Hyundai or VW cars.

Thanks very much Nitin. Yes, I too would prefer a sky blue theme like in Hyundai which would be a pleasant to the eyes. Regarding designer package, yes it was a miss though I tried my best for it. May be some day I will go with customized leather theme if budget allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
Excellent review Raj, rated it 5 stars !! Your review gives an insight of the car from a common man's point of view. I have driven the Aventura (not UC) and liked the car. It gives more confidence to the driver through its GC and suspension. I would like to drive your UC when I pass through Anantapur again. Happy driving, enjoy your car and keep blogging.
Thanks very much Amit. Iam glad that I met you in Anantapur. I can still cherish those happy moments though the time we spent is very short. Hopefully, we can meet soon and you can drive my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
Thanks Wildy for a vivid review of a very rare car ! You do have a flair for writing and a love for cars, both of which shine through in your review. The fun in reading your account is the closest an enthusiast can get to driving an Abarth Urban Cross without actually driving it. Please keep your log updated with all upcoming details.
Thanks Sangre for your kind words and glad that my review pushed you to go the showroom. Iam really happy to announce there are few more people who told me that my review was helpful in choosing the fiats by knowing the negative and positive aspects by going through my review. Really happy and proud moment for me. Being a fan, one shouldn't just appreciate the things about a particular car. They should bring out and out of it and present the real opinions about it.

Regarding your query, I saw keroo1099 has already explained it. Hopefully that helped you. If you need any more query, you can always reach me via PM or in phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Excellent , passionate review Raaj. Brought out the true Fiat fan within you. Its really sad that Fiat as a company which continues to exist due to hardcore fans like you dont really go the extra mile to show us their appreciation. Lets all hope i can wake up Fiat to get the damn Air Intake and intercooler fixed so that we can enjoy our TJet's to our hearts content.
Thanks Aditya. Yes, I was very disappointed when they said No for my request for the designer package. Regarding IC, hopefully we will find out a proper solution Soon. Not to mention, big thanks to Kedar Sir (keroo1099) for his brave experiments on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
12 kmpl in the city is going to be tough because the engine just hates stop go traffic (Stupid positioning of the air intake as indicated by Adneo), but if you are looking at say a 50-50 city-highway figure you can easily achieve that if you drive sensibly. I am getting a constant 10.4 kmpl in my remapped jet.
Thanks Kedar Sir for your helping hand here. And a special thanks for your experiments on IAT and IC things. I will eagerly look forward for the final impressions on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
I didn't really understand the air intake funda though.Is it something that needs to be re-routed and can we attempt a DIY ?
Yes it can be done and Kedar sir is already doing experiments on that. Let's look forward for the final results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Congrats raaj sir. .....I'm sure you must have driven the Abarth. Can you elaborate on the differences you felt, especially the driving dynamics and suspension ?

Thanks very much nitninja. Of course, I had driven Abarths, but for a very brief time only. Though Punto Abarth has 5 BHP more, in the real world, it doesn't really make any big difference while driving it. But Punto Abarth's lower GC and stiff suspension makes it more fun to drive car on higher speeds and also on cornering. But that said, UC Abarth also have same fun but due to higher GC, it has its own merits and demerits. At the end, both cars are extremely fun to drive cars and they are made for entirely different purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Enough has been said of the car and its capabilities. This review perfectly showcases how Fiat can bring together a bunch of enthusiasts, all passionate about their FIATs. Wishing you many more miles!
Thanks very much Sai. Yes, fan support is huge for Fiats. Glad atleast that way we can solve our problems almost immediately with friendly support and encouragement with fellow fiatans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Congrats on the car and awesome write up. I have also been a Fiat fan for a long time. I did look at the Urban Cross powered by Abarth when buying my new car, but dropped it because of fuel economy concerns.

Thanks very much, Newpunter. Honestly, fuel economy and Abarths are just opposite poles. But, we are working on that aspect. Hopefully, we get some salvation on that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
Wishing you may more years of ownership on this great car Wildy.
sandx, thanks very much for your kind wishes and good words. Good to see FCA got good success with Jeep Compass and hopefully they will get more business in the future with just a hope they will continue the Fiat badge and support to their longtime fans by providing good service and spares.
Wildy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 22:23   #37
BHPian

Some Update:

Not so great update. But since its completed 10,000 kms and running a while, just thought to post few pics of the car.

10,000 kms on ODO.
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-10000.jpg

So, It deserved some nice bath
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-bath.jpg

Rest under trees
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-tour.jpg

Best Mileage so far, achieved with some yoga on right foot.
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-2bestmile.jpg
Wildy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 16:31   #38
BHPian

Birthday Gift

Not much of an update. ODO is 13,400 kms and I must say, I enjoyed every bit of driving her.

Iam planning to install bigger inter cooler i.e. Airtec and customized CAI to have even more better performance. Will update on that once it's done.

On the occasion of the first year birthday, gifted her Abarth badges and the Abarth pedals. The car looks stunning now. Let the pictures speak.

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180330_120153.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180404_123011.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180331_101848.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-steeringbadge.jpeg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180405_115125.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180405_115204.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180405_115216.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180405_120849.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180405_120957.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180405_122933.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180405_123346.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180405_123618.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180405_123016.jpg
Wildy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 20:03   #39
BHPian

Airtec Intercooler Installation

Abarth is an awesome mean machine with insane power and great driving dynamics. But it has few flaws, the most notable one is it's puny intercooler. Seriously, it should go for the dogs. With stock intercooler, on a heavy summer afternoon, you feel like you are driving a car that has just lost it's Turbo.

Prelude: We have a Whatsapp group by name "Veterans Garage" with like minded people where we always discuss about some interesting car related topics than usual junk. One of such topics was Intercooler. First this topic was raised by Adneo aka Aditya and provided enough reason to upgrade the intercoolers. Then two brave men i.e. Keroo1099 aka Kedar Sir and Patchboy aka Rajan Sir experimented in their Tjet stock intercoolers with some extensive research and discussions in our whatsapp group and then upgraded to bigger intercoolers. You can see their experiments in the following links.

keroo1099 Intercooler Experiment

PatchyBoy DIY: Bigger Intercooler Install for Fiat Linea T-Jet

With the above inspiration, I decided to give it a try and ordered Airtec Intercooler from UK.

And let the pictures speaks.

Parcel Arrived
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-1.jpg

Well Wrapped
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-2.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-3.jpg

Instructions Manual
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-4.jpg

Nice Abarth Logos, I saved them for future use.
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-5.jpg

Puny Stock Intercooler
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-6.jpg

Airtec In its glory
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-7.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-8.jpg

Fresh from oven
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-9.jpg

Look at the mighty difference from stock to Airtec
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-10.jpg

supplied hoses and other fittings
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-11.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-12.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-13.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-14.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-16.jpg

Done and dusted. White Scorp got more power now.
White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-15.jpg

Post Installation Observations:
• Stock car itself has minimal lag. But post installation, it almost disappeared. Practically I feel like, iam driving an NA engine both in city and highway
• This 140 BHP powered car is already on beast mode. But, with this bigger IC, it's pulling power improved even more.
• On a hot summer afternoon, this intercooler works like charming. With better IAT drop, no more power-loss and hence better performance.
• Better mileage

Last but not least, thanks a lot to adneo (Aditya), keroo1099 (Kedar Sir), PatchyBoy (Rajan Sir) and Sainath Mugundan for their excellent support and suggestions all through the process of this installation.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th June 2018 at 21:30. Reason: drying -> driving on request.
Wildy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 07:45   #40
BHPian

Wolfed

Wolf Rajiv and me know each other for a little over a year. He is nice chap. I requested him to stop at Anantapur while he was going to Hyderabad on 3rd June 2018. On a highway dhaba while having tea, he explained about his remaps. Until that time, I have no plans to remap my car atleast for another year or two. But then, suddenly adrenaline got into it and here we go. Let the pictures speaks....

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-wolfed.jpg

White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura-img_20180603_130617.jpg

Wolfmoto offers switchable maps. Apart from stock map, it have three more remaps. I felt reasonable difference post remap. But, I need to check properly with 99octane whenever I go to Bangalore or some other big city.

Last edited by Wildy : 11th July 2018 at 07:58.
Wildy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 19:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: White Scorp: An ownership review of the Fiat Abarth Urban Cross Avventura

Hi Raaj,

How is the Avventura performing post the remap?

Has the acceleration improved drastically?

Did you get a chance to time or dyno your car pre and post the modifications?

What are the various maps that you have?

Sorry to bombard you with so many questions. I'm looking to get it done for my car soon, hence just curious. Also, if you don't mind sharing how much did it cost?
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 09:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Hi Raaj,

How is the Avventura performing post the remap?
Has the acceleration improved drastically?
Did you get a chance to time or dyno your car pre and post the modifications?
What are the various maps that you have?
Sorry to bombard you with so many questions. I'm looking to get it done for my car soon, hence just curious. Also, if you don't mind sharing how much did it cost?
Hi Saumil,

Hope you are fine. Well, my UC Abarth doing fine.

Honestly, post remap, I haven't tested it properly as it needs high octane petrol which isn't available in my town. But, low end performance improved a lot, especially after installing the Airtec Intercooler and its marginally improved with remap. City and highway driving become breeze now.

No, I haven't done any dyno tests nor any plans to do so.

Wolfmoto offers 3 maps along with stock map. It costed me Rs. 25,000/- since iam the only one was doing remap in my town. But if you go with a group, it may get lowered. Currently, iam using Map2.

All the best for your remap. If you need any more information, feel free to ping me in Whatsapp. Good luck.
Wildy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 05:46   #43
BHPian

Wonderful write up. Have read this a lot many times. Now as a new member on Team BHP, the second thread I am replying on has to be this one. Over the last six months have followed, read and re read this thread multiple times. Watching the videos on UC itself makes me so much happy and feel connected to the car. No other brand comes as close to FIAT when an emotional connect is made with the owner and his/her FIAT. Brilliant, looking forward to follow this thread throughout. Happy miles with the UC and keep giving us the pseudo pleasure of seeing a UC doing extremely good on Indian Roads.
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 19:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
The Delivery Day: Me and SA travelled in a bus to take the delivery of the car. Took few sweet pockets and a gift to SA. The formalities were completed with a nice gesture and we took the car. SA was polite and patient all through the process and I thanked him for that. Had a full tank in the nearest petrol bunk and left for my place that is 150 kms away. The SA belongs to my town and hence we both came back again in my car and we both had lunch on the way. And I named the beauty as “White Scorp”

My SA Mr. Naresh on left and Me on right
Attachment 1693899

Beautiful Scorpion Alloy
Attachment 1693900

Abarth Powered Tjet in its glory
Attachment 1693901

Free accessories
Attachment 1693923

Attachment 1693902
Hi Wildy

I have been reading and re reading your thread since last 10 months. This has to be the most emotionally connecting thread on team bhp. Each and every word speaks a lot of your passion and love for UC.

I wish to talk to you with regards to UC Abarth, if you ok with it. Please reply (private message) with your number so we connect. Looking forward to an equally lunatic UC lover.

Regards
Aditya
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 13:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I have been reading and re reading your thread since last 10 months. This has to be the most emotionally connecting thread on team bhp. Each and every word speaks a lot of your passion and love for UC. I wish to talk to you with regards to UC Abarth, if you ok with it. Please reply (private message) with your number so we connect. Looking forward to an equally lunatic UC lover.

Hi Aditya, thanks for your kind words and glad to know the thread was helpful and interesting to you. As you requested, I sent an email to you regarding my mobile number. Goodluck with your UC Abarth purchase experience. If you need any more information, you are always welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks