Team-BHP - Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/192400-driven-2017-maruti-s-cross-facelift-3.html)

The 1.3 DDIS has been on offer for so many years and almost everyone must have driven it in some car or the other. I do not understand why people still complain over the lack of power from the said engine.

For people who wish to drive in the 90-110 kmph range but still wish for decent driving dynamics coupled with safety features, this car is perfect. The car looks and feels more German than Indian and that is something new coming from MSIL.

There is always the option of remaps for people who wish the additional "oomph".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4304605)
Might be auto levelling unit now which doesn't need a manual dial for levelling.

Yes sir, the Alpha's feature list has automatic head lamp leveling and the other variants are featured with manual control.
Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudeepg (Post 4304587)
So where has the headlamp leveler button gone? Is it present in this face lift or has been eliminated for the sake of that auto start stop button?

At first, I was surprised to see a blank switch in the image. I was wondering what could be missing in a top-spec vehicle of this class. Maybe there goes your headlamp lever. lol:

This is one car which I strongly feel MSIL to begin with should have only launched with a 1.6 engine option and realistic introductory pricing. The current setup leaves it in neither here nor there kind of situation. 1.3 simply does not cut any ice in this category and SCross I guess is the only odd one out in terms of engine in its class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satan's_valet (Post 4304931)
I do not understand why people still complain over the lack of power from the said engine.

For people who wish to drive in the 90-110 kmph range but still wish for decent driving dynamics coupled with safety features, this car is perfect. The car looks and feels more German than Indian and that is something new coming from MSIL.

There is always the option of remaps for people who wish the additional "oomph".

Agree with you
I have never complained about the 1.3 DDIS.
I feel it is more smoother than the 1.5TDCI on my figo. Though the ford engine is muted, I feel the gearing on the Figo is not suited for my driving style. It is way too gruff for my likes. The Volkswagen engines would have more torque and power, but they have no spacious options in this price range.

I like the way the 1.3 delivers power, adequate in low revs and sweet in the mid range. Remap it and the lower end and mid range gets better. Top end is poor and the car runs off steam post 120kmph. I cant even go above 100 kmph in our conditions (Kerala Roads). For some one who wants a good car for the city at 12 lakhs, it is a good deal. I still would prefer it over the new ecosport or even the creta, which in my opinion is not stable and wallowy at sane highway speeds (90-110 kmph). May be a remapped ecosport would change my opinion.

Timed the remapped S cross. It hits the 0-100 kmph in 11 seconds. I enjoy it more than my Figo. Went to Code 6 with my Figo. A remap can extract 140 ps from the 1.5 TDCi. But then the safety rating would go from 0 to -5 stars. Decided against it. Was planning to add a 1.6 to the family (after the facelift), but for now the remapped 1.3 it is till I get a better option in my budget.

Quote:

The 1.3 DDIS has been on offer for so many years and almost everyone must have driven it in some car or the other. I do not understand why people still complain over the lack of power from the said engine.

It is not the engine that we complain about but the engine plonked on a capable car like the S-CROSS that does not pair well. The same engine fitted to a swift makes sense. An engine more appropriate to its size and class would make more sense is the general feel among enthusiast. I agree that the S-CROSS is the best in build that has come out of Maruti's stable. Having plonked it with this engine understates it's potential.

I wouldn't go with the facts on paper. Though the Nexon had a stronger engine on paper when it comes to ride I still feel the EcoSport feels better. The only thing that EcoSport lacks is the 6th great. The 1.3L engine might sound good on paper but while on the S-CROSS it really doesn't shine and understates the capability of the otherwise well built and will equipped car.

Why do all Manufacturers spoil 'facelifts'? :Frustrati
XUV, Thar, Alto, Punto etc., and now the S-cross. This thread comes to my mind every time I see a new face-lifted car
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...king-cars.html

Although this car will sell more than the previous generation S-cross, it's lost it's X-factor in the 1.6L - The only car I had liked in the Maruti Suzuki stable of recent times. And no petrol Engine too. What were they thinking!

If I have to define the new S-cross in a single line, I would do it like this.
S Sad-looking
C Chrome
R Repleted
O Out-of-gas
S S-cross
S Successor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 (Post 4304707)
Based on what you just explained, Won't you experience the same with 1.6 as well?

But at least the 1.6L has the post-2000 rpm boost to make up for the weak lower end.

If you give me a boring soup & salad to start with, then a yummy cheese burst pizza, I won't complain.

But if you give me sauteed vegetables after the soup & salad, I'll be left unhappy :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandygordon (Post 4304831)
As an S cross 1.3 owner who wanted to upgrade to a 1.6 facelift model, I am deeply disappointed with the omission of the 1.6 engine. I had even planned to sell the current car or my figo, got both evaluated at Maruti true value and waited for this.

Don't fret. Get a pre-worshipped S-Cross 1.6L via a lateral upgrade :D.

Quote:

As other BHPians have mentioned, it's acceptable in a Swift, but not a pricey S-Cross.

Plus, the game has also moved on in the 10 years or so that this 1.3L has been on sale. Tata, Ford & VW offer 1.5L diesels that have superior driveability & performance. Hyundai's 1.4L diesel is also a level above this 1.3L.

Being an owner of 1st gen S-Cross, I actually like the facelift's look & feel. The exterior has much more attitude now, compared to the subtle and mild looks of the 1st gen. Except the SHVS (which is more of a gimmick than an effective addition), thanks to Maruti for not breaking hearts of existing SCross owners. There is hardly any change in the interiors and mechanics. I had already upgraded the software to get Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, so no worries there too. :D

I completely agree with Suhas that Maruti should have retained the awesome 1.6 MJD engine, and marketed it well by, probably, reducing the price a bit and giving it a different look compared to the 1.3. A sportier looking 1.6 MJD (spoilers, fatter tyres, hot alloys and all the bells and whistels) would have surely had more buyers IMO.

Sad to see Maruti going for a safer and timid approach, in spite of being the largest manufacturer of passenger cars in India, who can easily afford to be a bit adventurous in its offerings. please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandygordon (Post 4304998)
Agree with you
I have never complained about the 1.3 DDIS.
I feel it is more smoother than the 1.5TDCI on my figo. Though the ford engine is muted, I feel the gearing on the Figo is not suited for my driving style. It is way too gruff for my likes.

Oh, I completely agree.. I had a 2011 Figo until recently and I felt the S-Cross drove better. The gear shifts were precise and the engine felt smoother.. Will know on the long run if I'm right or wrong.. To enjoy the best of both worlds, a remap is definitely necessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jude300 (Post 4305001)
It is not the engine that we complain about but the engine plonked on a capable car like the S-CROSS that does not pair well. The same engine fitted to a swift makes sense. An engine more appropriate to its size and class would make more sense is the general feel among enthusiast. I agree that the S-CROSS is the best in build that has come out of Maruti's stable. Having plonked it with this engine understates it's potential.

I wouldn't go with the facts on paper. Though the Nexon had a stronger engine on paper when it comes to ride I still feel the EcoSport feels better. The only thing that EcoSport lacks is the 6th great. The 1.3L engine might sound good on paper but while on the S-CROSS it really doesn't shine and understates the capability of the otherwise well built and will equipped car.

Coming from a Figo, the logical upgrade option for me was an Ecosport. Better engine, higher seating and better visibility. But every other thought went out the window, the moment I sat in the car. It was claustrophobic and I kept bumping with the co-passenger.

I would have loved the 1.6 engine in the new S-Cross but it's not the case. The manufacturers want to please the crowd and reap benefits while the small enthusiastic population is hung to dry. So we are left to compromise and make hard choices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4305063)

As other BHPians have mentioned, it's acceptable in a Swift, but not a pricey S-Cross.

Plus, the game has also moved on in the 10 years or so that this 1.3L has been on sale. Tata, Ford & VW offer 1.5L diesels that have superior driveability & performance. Hyundai's 1.4L diesel is also a level above this 1.3L.

I agree, the competition has improved their engines but have made compromises elsewhere. The new Figo and Aspire for example, have brilliant engines now but the build quality and FTD factor from the previous models have taken a hit. Why is that acceptable and not this?

I am not defending Maruti here. I am just trying to state the fact that every manufacturer is forcing us to make compromises..

S-Cross 1.6 was discontinued due to multiple reasons.

1. Low demand
2. High import costs
3. Fuel quality related issues

Anyways, I have seen many enthusiasts getting pre worshipped S-Cross 1.6 since last few months :D The car has depreciated a lot and 1.6 Alpha 2015 models are sold for just 9 lakhs.

90% of the times I don’t disagree with T-BHP. This is one of those 10% times where I do. Facelift looks brilliant from front. Looks similar to a BMW now. Would very much prefer this over that ugly hippo aka pre-facelift S-Cross.

Unfortunately, they took away the zing that made S-Cross the legend here. Now it’s just another Maruti car. The engine makes the car. What use is the good dynamics if they aren’t complemented by the engine?

Highly disappointed.

Some external shots of 1.3 Zeta without the DRLs..

Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-imageuploadedbyteambhp1510641151.303605.jpg

Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-imageuploadedbyteambhp1510641167.403991.jpg

Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-imageuploadedbyteambhp1510641183.922568.jpg

Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-imageuploadedbyteambhp1510641197.189519.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Brutailer (Post 4305177)
90% of the times I don’t disagree with T-BHP. This is one of those 10% times where I do. Facelift looks brilliant from front. Looks similar to a BMW now. Would very much prefer this over that ugly hippo aka pre-facelift S-Cross.

I too like the new look. Only ugly part is the grill which could be easily fixed by wrapping or paint. The car looks brilliant in the new blue shade.

Do look at this poll results on Team BHP. Majority preferred the new S-Cross looks :D

Agree with Dr. Naren. All one has to do is to paint or wrap the grill in say matte black color and I think it will look much better.