Team-BHP - Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/192400-driven-2017-maruti-s-cross-facelift-6.html)

IMHO the facelift is a well done job by Maruti, the car looks smashing and stands out in the crowd.
The only downer is the engine, it is adequate when you are alone and driving in a sedate manner.
The things do not look justified when you take her out on the highway with five people on board with completely packed boot and AC on. The long straight highway stretches and the hill climbs (I did one to Kodaikanal in September this year) just make you rethink if spending 11 Lacs on this car justified the value for your money. Had it been a 1.4 CRDI (i20 active) or 1.5 TDCI (ecopsort) the things would have looked much prettier as an all-round package.

Would have loved to see Maruti work on a 1.4 k series Turbojet for this car along with the facelift.

The new grill is smashing and its infused a lot of masculinity into a rather boring looking car. The pre facelift was a car i would have hated to own as it didn't suit my personality and the new one is a car i would definitely buy ! Not often can a facelift transform the character of a car as much as this grill has for the SCROSS.
It does look a lot like a BMW grill, except for not being a dual kidney design.

I saw the new s-cross last week in Koramangala, Bangalore. To me, the front looked awesome. In photos I never liked it, but not the case in person. Wow'd me actually, a kind of BMWish look - my 9/10.

However, just as the car passed by, when I saw the same old rear. That is actually a turn off. Come on Maruti you could have done something substantial about the rear other than brake lights.

I really don't understand why Maruti decided to let go the 1.6. Yes I understand the demand was less for 1.6, however Maruti should have known that they were selling an ugly S cross earlier. This new model would have been the right push with the 1.6 multijet with an AT. Maruti's market analysis and implementation may not be the best.

Offtopic - Another option would have been to plonk the 1.6 multijet in Ciaz and Ertiga for that matter.

A walkaround video of the Delta Variant:

https://youtu.be/-lNoBNQxLtE

In my opinion, the VFM version is the Zeta variant, compared to the Alpha it loses out on
1) LED projector headlamps
2) DRL
3) Auto Headlamps and Wipers
4) Auto-dimming IRVM (I wish the Zeta had this!)
5) All leather interiors
6) LED Tail-lights

Attaching a few pics of the Zeta Variant

Quote:

Originally Posted by cunnuvila (Post 4308115)
In my opinion, the VFM version is the Zeta variant, compared to the Alpha it loses out on
2) DRL
5) All leather interiors
6) LED Tail-lights

No doubt. The Zeta is the best value for money variant with the ex-showroom price below 10 lakhs. This gives it a lot of tax benefits

The great thing is that the S-cross Zeta gets cruise control. It is very useful on the long highway drives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr (Post 4308300)
No doubt. The Zeta is the best value for money variant with the ex-showroom price below 10 lakhs. This gives it a lot of tax benefits

The great thing is that the S-cross Zeta gets cruise control. It is very useful on the long highway drives.

Agree completely. The Zeta also gets Projectors but based on Halogens.

In comparison with Honda's iDTEC engine which churns out 100 horses, 90 is just 10% less and hence does not feel like a bad deal on paper.

For anyone exceeding 10L for those sub-4m Crossovers/mini SUVs like Ecosport, Nexon and WR-V >> you get a full blown cross-over > 4m for the pricing in the same league or lower.

Also, given that the current Creta is based on i20 Platform + due for facelift in 2018, and the Duster failing safety standards by fitting a smaller airbag for India version of the Duster, the S-Cross seems to be positioned extremely well in terms of the "Bang for the Buck" factor :thumbs up

These points coupled with the excellent Build Quality, proven FIAT Engine in terms of reliability, all 4 disc brakes and possibly the best in terms of ride/handling at high speeds (maybe next only to Duster) should make it a winner...and of course the "copy-pasted" BMW grille which made us all wake up and see these other virtues :uncontrol

The LED projectors on the top end look great. That said, Zeta is truly VFM. Too bad the baleno's UV glass in not offered in any version of S-cross. The car is well packaged, and I am waiting - with countless others - for an automatic offering in this. Hopefully it will get one with the new 1.5L in auto expo.

One grouse: I found the rear seat to be too upright with no recline angle.

Today I took delivery of S-Cross Zeta 1.3 Nexa Blue. I believe the zeta version is best value for money and have all the required features as per my wish.

Booked the car on 14th October at Nexa, JP Nagar, Bangalore, the car was invoiced on 8th Nov however, in between I was out of country thus, took delivery today.

I chose not to go for Basic Accessories kit offer by Nexa, rather pick and choose whatever I require, went for - leather seat cover, leather steering cover, floor mat, mud flap set, illuminated door sill guard and Nexa leather docket holder.

Also bought 5 years extended warranty (5 years/1,00,000 kms which ever is earlier) at Rs. 19,906.

Transferred my earlier car's insurance No Claim Bonus (50% accumulated) and insurance amount got reduced by Rs. 10,746 in this car.

Overall a pleasant experience with Nexa for my 4th Maruti car. However, Maruti True Value quoted extremely low price for my earlier car Ritz VDi (2009), was ran about 1,11,000 kms, registered in KA05 but with MH registration number. I evaluated the car at Cars24.com, which fetched me Rs. 2,12,000.

I will post a detailed review afterwards, posting a couple of quick photographs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cunnuvila (Post 4308115)
2) DRL
5) All leather interiors
6) LED Tail-lights

Yes, The Zeta variant is definitely a VFM version. In the ALFA variant, if they would have added 6 airbags, then that would also be considered as VFM too considering the price tag of top-end variants from above 4 meters cars like Creta and few other Sedans like Honda City, Rapid and Vento. I would consider this as a missed opportunity for Maruti.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkothak (Post 4308869)
Yes, The Zeta variant is definitely a VFM version. In the ALFA variant, if they would have added 6 airbags, then that would also be considered as VFM too considering the price tag of top-end variants from above 4 meters cars like Creta and few other Sedans like Honda City, Rapid and Vento. I would consider this as a missed opportunity for Maruti.

I agree with you , that's way too less equipment for a top end version . I am however holding over my purchase decision until March 2018 hoping Maruti announces a petrol automatic variant of the s-cross .

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkothak (Post 4308869)

Not really. They need the 1.5 engine to justify the price tag higher than this.

1.5 diesel plus sunroof plus 6 airbags plus tyre pressure monitor can command a lakh more

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsrivatsa (Post 4308683)
In comparison with Honda's iDTEC engine which churns out 100 horses, 90 is just 10% less and hence does not feel like a bad deal on paper.

For anyone exceeding 10L for those sub-4m Crossovers/mini SUVs like Ecosport, Nexon and WR-V >> you get a full blown cross-over > 4m for the pricing in the same league or lower.

Sorry, but I do not agree with this. This is VFM proposition only if one compromises with the engine and that is what Maruti wants us to do. Scross is fine to drive when you are alone or max 2 on board. The moment you fill it up (4-5 people on board with luggage and AC on) and set out for a long highway drives you are reminded of the weak power output from this engine. The car itself is built solid and weighs over 1200 kgs. The Kodaikanal ghat section I did with Scross was tiresome and slow. This compromise is not felt when you drive the 1.5 TDCI and 1.5 idtec with full load. I would any day prefer WRV's or Ecosport's 1.5 TDCI top end variants instead of Scross. Obviously both Ecosport and WRV come with their own negatives like narrow cabin and lack of rear seat headrests but engine power in this price is something that should be in abundance in all conditions.

Cheers!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiya.c (Post 4309705)
Sorry, but I do not agree with this. This is VFM proposition only if one compromises with the engine and that is what Maruti wants us to do. Scross is fine to drive when you are alone or max 2 on board. The moment you fill it up (4-5 people on board with luggage and AC on) and set out for a long highway drives you are reminded of the weak power output from this engine. The car itself is built solid and weighs over 1200 kgs. The Kodaikanal ghat section I did with Scross was tiresome and slow. This compromise is not felt when you drive the 1.5 TDCI and 1.5 idtec with full load. I would any day prefer WRV's or Ecosport's 1.5 TDCI top end variants instead of Scross. Obviously both Ecosport and WRV come with their own negatives like narrow cabin and lack of rear seat headrests but engine power in this price is something that should be in abundance in all conditions.

Cheers!!

Like I said my statement was made on theoretical comparison. It is interesting to know that 10% is making so much of a difference :eek:

I checked the Kerb Weight of the different Honda cars and they all seem to be in the same range:

S-Cross : 1240 kg
BR-V : 1300 kg
WR-V : 1204 kg
City : 1170 kg

I guess Honda has tuned the iDTEC Engine much better than what Maruti has done with the FIAT engine...or is it the Soft Hybrid feature which is causing this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 (Post 4307748)

Offtopic - Another option would have been to plonk the 1.6 multijet in Ciaz and Ertiga for that matter.

The 1.6 powertrain will never fit inside the engine bay of the Ertiga. It would need a massive redesign of the front end which would surely change the overall dimensions. The Ciaz already has a bigger engine bay and can easily swallow the 1.6 powertrain.
I do agree with you, the Ertiga as a whole is a very good package. All it needs is a powerful engine.
Apologies for going very OT.