Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2017, 14:51   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
So where has the headlamp leveler button gone? Is it present in this face lift or has been eliminated for the sake of that auto start stop button?
Might be auto levelling unit now which doesn't need a manual dial for levelling.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 15:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
So where has the headlamp leveler button gone? Is it present in this face lift or has been eliminated for the sake of that auto start stop button?
The Alpha variant gets LED projectors with auto leveling headlamps. All other variants get halogen projectors with the leveling switch.

Edit: Just noticed that Vid6639 responded with the info.

Last edited by shimoo : 13th November 2017 at 15:16. Reason: Mentioned in the post
shimoo is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 15:39   #18
BHPian

Seems that they changed the orientation of slats in the Dzire grill and added the chrome surrounding to make it fit on the S-Cross. the shape seems to be same. Or is Suzuki trying to have the same grill design on all its cars?
Old 13th November 2017, 16:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am of the different breed!!I loved the facelift and did a test drive last Sunday.
Unfortunately, I came back very disappointed.
The 1.3 DDiS seems inadequate to move the hulk of the S Cross.
There was no grunt, no torque and the RPM band between 1.2K to 2K was practically non existent.
The car stalled in the second gear @ 20 Kmph and low end thrust was completely missing.
Overall, was a poor TD and was expecting a far better performance from the S Cross!!
arnabchak is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 16:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
There was no grunt, no torque and the RPM band between 1.2K to 2K was practically non existent.
The car stalled in the second gear @ 20 Kmph and low end thrust was completely missing.
Overall, was a poor TD and was expecting a far better performance from the S Cross!!
Based on what you just explained, Won't you experience the same with 1.6 as well?
jaganpec2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 17:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
Based on what you just explained, Won't you experience the same with 1.6 as well?
Dear jagan
I haven't TDed the 1.6 and wont be able to comment.
I TDed the lighter Baleno running the same 1.3 DDiS engine though differently tuned and it was a hoot to drive.
I believe the kerb weight and the engine tune is to blame the way S Cross 1.3 behaved in the TD while the Baleno exceeded.

Last edited by SDP : 13th November 2017 at 19:14. Reason: typo
Old 13th November 2017, 18:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Folks like me who bought the 1.6 are now officially running an extinct breed of car. While it did not set the sales charts on fire, I am sure all the owners of this car would not want to part with it.

I feel Maruti should have retained the engine at least as a "Halo" product, but I am sure they have their reasons, and they mostly read the pulse of the buying population right. This was a good chance to cater to the enthusiast market though, which was first spoiled through their insane pricing and now with this discontinuation.

Not many complaints from my end though, as I am for the first time belonging to a group of car buyers who are in the minority . May the stonker of the car give happiness to all its current owners!!!
arvind71181 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 19:19   #23
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
...Speaking of which, every time I backed off the throttle in 5th, or in any gear for that matter, the engine would noticeably fall out of the power-band a lot quicker than normal. It feels as though there is some sort of resistance whilst moving forward. Perhaps, the feeling of being tugged at from the back would help paint a clearer picture. Maybe it was the regenerative braking that had something to do with it? I'm not quite sure.
May be the fly-wheel is not heavy enough to maintain the momentum. Just a guess.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 20:00   #24
BHPian

As an S cross 1.3 owner who wanted to upgrade to a 1.6 facelift model, I am deeply disappointed with the omission of the 1.6 engine. I had even planned to sell the current car or my figo, got both evaluated at Maruti true value and waited for this. Sadly I now have to look elsewhere for an upgrade.

Liked the Jeep Compass, but the Longitude option is too much of a budget stretch. May be I will hold on to my remapped 1.3 for another couple of years until the 1.4 boosterjet or 1.5 Maruti diesel launches on the Grand Vitara.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 20:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Stupid move by MSIL.
Just when they were moving upmarket with more powerful cars, they remove the 1.6 diesel from the S-Cross.
No petrol, no automatic- definitely an opportunity missed by Maruti to gain more customers.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 22:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
• Fantastic 1.6L diesel has been discontinued.
I was expecting, someday Maruti might put this engine in Ciaz and Baleno. But they did opposite, they took engine from Ciaz/Baleno and put it in S-Cross. Now, Cross in the name 'S-Cross' got completely different meaning for enthusiasts.
PetaWatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 22:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
You may choose to turn off the irritating idling start / stop feature by hitting the switch beside it:
Attachment 1692095
What are these switches from the 90s doing in a car launched last month? When I asked the sales guy about it he said that it's cheaper to replace it and thus reduces maintenance cost in the future.

Why would someone pay a million to buy a car and want to save 10 bucks if ever he had to replace this switch? I just laughed and never dared to ask the sales guy about the outdated steering wheel fearing what his response would be

For a car that's sold as premium, the new steering wheel on the new Dzire and modern switches would have done more justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Stupid move by MSIL.
Just when they were moving upmarket with more powerful cars, they remove the 1.6 diesel from the S-Cross.
No petrol, no automatic- definitely an opportunity missed by Maruti to gain more customers.
Totally agree but the product still sold 5000+ units last month. It appeals to the mass market not the enthusiast. Maruti prefers to satisfy the former staying true to their DNA. Not many ever knew this one had a 1.6 diesel earlier. There is this big segment that sill blindly go with a Maruti as long as the pricing is competitive and has good looks. Tell that segment that the grills are similar to the BMW also showing them a picture, they will just love it.

On a separate note, I had the S-CROSS as a fall back option incase the facelifted EcoSport diesel Titanium costed more that 10 lakhs ex-showroom, Chennai. My pessimistic comments above were considered when I made a choice to go ahead with the facelifted EcoSport but it has its stronger points as well in the form of cruise control, inbuilt navigation, all wheel disc brakes and sliding arm rests. They are cool features for the pricing.

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2017 at 09:40. Reason: Fixing quote
Jude300 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 22:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
I am of the different breed!!I loved the facelift and did a test drive last Sunday.
Unfortunately, I came back very disappointed.
I like the facelift as well. The engine is simply not good enough for a car of this weight. Lack of good engines is why Maruti has been reducing the weights of its engines to make the cars peppier. The Verna does not stall at 20Kph in 3rd gear as well.

Suzuki definitely needs better diesel engines
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 22:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

The current 1.3 is slow with the heavy s-cross. The SVHS is said to be even more slower than the current gen 1.3 s-cross. It will not be running highways on fire. The car is too big to be used in the city and the tuning of the engine makes it even harder. This product is just a compromise.

If I were in the market, I would just go for the new Verna with its diesel automatic.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 23:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The current 1.3 is slow with the heavy s-cross. The SVHS is said to be even more slower than the current gen 1.3 s-cross. It will not be running highways on fire. The car is too big to be used in the city and the tuning of the engine makes it even harder. This product is just a compromise.
Ciaz SHVS was said to be slower as well. For a car of this weight, to expect the same peppiness as in the Ciaz that is about 300 kgs lighter is impossible. Once Suzuki gets its 1.5 L 108 bhp petrol and the 1.5 L diesel engines, the S-cross sales will pick up

They really missed a trick in not putting their 1.4 Petrol or 1.0 Boosterjet on the S-cross. A gasoline version would have been the easiest way to boost sales. Definitely the best ever built Maruti Suzuki cars deserves a better engine than a 2005 engine of the year award winning multijet (Seriously - this is a 12 year old engine and that too Multijet I)
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks