Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2017, 12:07   #1
Team-BHP Support

Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift

The Maruti S-Cross is on sale in India at a price of between Rs. 8.49 - 11.29 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you’ll like:

• Solid build & good quality, inside out
• Practical interiors, spacious cabin and supportive seats
• Mature ride & handling package. High speed behaviour is exceptional
• Maruti's excellent after-sales support network
• All variants get 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS & dual airbags
• Facelift brings LED headlamps & tail-lamps, fatter tyres, nicer rims, Android Auto & Apple CarPlay

What you won’t:

• Weird looking love-it-or-hate-it face. Will polarise opinion
• Fantastic 1.6L diesel has been discontinued. Enthusiasts, look elsewhere!
• 1.3L diesel offers merely 'adequate' performance. Nothing special about it
• No petrol engine, no automatic transmission, no AWD
• 353 liter boot - although well shaped - is small for a car of this size & positioning
• Noise insulation is below average for a premium car

Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-01.jpg

Since the S-Cross has already been reviewed by Team-BHP, this report will only focus on the changes made to the 2017 Facelift. To read the full official review, click here. To check out the 2020 1.5L Petrol, click here.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2020 at 10:52.
suhaas307 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 12:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-02.jpg

So, what's new on the outside?

Side by side with the old S-Cross. While the earlier version was at least neutral, the 2017 facelift brings an ugly face! Maruti Suzuki has totally botched up the radiator grille's design:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-03.jpg

This new model is 20 mm wider and 5 mm taller than its predecessor. The designers pinched its nose and picked up its jaw-line off the floor. A huge helping of chrome and a pair of smoked headlights later, the nerdy kid now looks like he got a set of braces, with a pair of photochromic spectacles to go with that painfully strained grin:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-04.jpg

The new face will certainly divide opinion among enthusiasts. With regular folk on the road though, the general consensus was positive. So positive that people who routinely chanced upon the press cars were of the opinion that the new front is ‘more BMW and less Maruti’. Such a comparison is perhaps not entirely unfounded, largely due to the headlights that flow into the chunky chrome grille:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-07.jpg

Walk around the refreshed S-Cross and you’d quickly realize that, other than new alloy-wheels and slightly revised taillights, the design is virtually unchanged. This Nexa Blue colour replaces the Urban Blue in the S-Cross lineup:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-06.jpg

You can see the aggressive look of the facelift vs. the understated appeal of the pre-facelift from this angle:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-05.jpg

Large braces-like chrome grill is a mistake. Sad, because the grille is a very important design element to any car:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-09.jpg

Chrome obsessed India will love it however. Here on Team-BHP, opinions are divided:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-12.jpg

Headlamps feature an LED main beam. The pilot lamps are now placed at the top:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-13.jpg

New bonnet is higher than before and has two sharp character lines on it:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-14.jpg

Notice the different contours here:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-15.jpg

New 16-inch rims shod with 215/60 R16 rubber:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-16.jpg

They are the only change to the side profile:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-10.jpg

New and old...
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-17.jpg

Rear features new LED tail-lamps:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-11.jpg

A closer look:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-19.jpg

Other than the lights, this smart hybrid badge is new:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-18.jpg

A parting shot. With the fast 1.6L diesel no longer available, the facelift will never attain the status that its predecessor did:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-08.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 13th November 2017 at 12:10.
suhaas307 is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 12:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

So, what's new on the inside?

On the face of it, the interior of the S-Cross also remains largely unchanged. The leather upholstery is average and frankly, doesn’t feel like genuine leather. The infotainment HU is a straight lift from the Ignis and the Ciaz and remains unchanged. What truly stood out for us was the steering wheel and the quality of the leather used to drape it. It’s right up there with the best in the business. The seats up front are large and reasonably supportive. It must be said that they feel less like seats though, and more like chairs. The squab feels nearly parallel with the floor, and you sit quite upright. That said, the refreshed S-Cross doesn't make you feel like you're piloting a crossover like the Cretas and Dusters of the world. It is very car-like from the driver's seat, maybe like a tallboy hatch at best!

In so far as overall quality is concerned, there is no doubt about the S-Cross’ European roots, especially when you get a general feel of the car’s build quality and fit-finish. A thorough investigation, however, may reveal the use of plastic of the average variety, albeit only below hip-level.

The air-conditioning worked like a charm in the sweltering Rajasthan heat. It took no longer than a few minutes to cool down the hot, dark cabin.

General space and accommodation haven't changed at all, and the S-Cross is still a roomy and practical car to be in. The expanse of black leatherette and plastic may give you the feeling of being hemmed in, yet this car should accommodate 5 people in reasonable comfort.

Prod a little, and you will begin to discover that a large portion of the dashboard is of a different texture and is now soft to touch:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-02.jpg

The meter console gets a smart hybrid logo:

The infotainment system now supports Apple CarPlay...

...as well as Android Auto:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-4b.jpg

Keyless entry coupled with push-button ignition seems to have become the norm amongst most manufacturers. You may choose to turn off the irritating idling start / stop feature by hitting the switch beside it:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-05.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 13th November 2017 at 12:09.
suhaas307 is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 12:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Driving the 1.3L Diesel

Maruti has retained the good ol' 1.3L MJD - its tried & tested workhorse & India's national diesel engine. However, we are deeply saddened to report that Maruti has, rather apologetically, pulled the plug on the stonking 1.6L DDiS. That engine made the S-Cross an enthusiast's car, but it's no longer the case. Reason = lack of demand. To give you some perspective, Maruti has managed to sell ~53,500 units of the old S-Cross - of which, merely 4,000 units had the 1.6L engine. IMHO Maruti should've cared more about the image benefits that the 1.6L motor got, rather than its admittedly minuscule sales.

Pages have been written about the 1.3L MJD, in our own official reports as well as several ownership reviews penned by our own members. And until Maruti unveils their indigenous 1.5L diesel mill, most cars from the Maruti stable will continue to be powered by this engine. However, what’s different about this particular drivetrain is the inclusion of Maruti’s SHVS technology and regenerative braking. The fact that Maruti is introducing SHVS (it's not a hybrid - don't let the branding fool you) in the S-Cross can mean only two things:

1. Mass market customers like the SHVS for whatever small fuel efficiency gains it gives (in particular, from the idling start-stop system).

OR

2. Maruti is confident about the SHVS being able to get tax benefits again.

"Adequate" would be the ideal term to describe the performance from the S-Cross' 1.3 multi-jet diesel engine. 200 Nm of torque is available at a reasonably low 1,750 rpm, and power builds up in an undramatic fashion. Try and push it beyond 3,500 rpm and things get noticeably gravelly and harsh. The engine feels rather outdated compared to the more contemporary diesels we've seen of late. It wouldn't take you too long to realize that the motor is happiest when kept at 2,000 - 3,500 rpm or thereabouts.

A quick drive around your favourite road or highway will, however, immediately establish that this drivetrain is woefully inadequate for the splendid chassis and braking performance that the S-Cross has to offer. The car stops on a dime and without too much effort. The brake pedal itself feels progressive in its bite. The S-Cross behaves like no Maruti has before.

Surprisingly, the turning radius has gone up to 5.5 m from the earlier 5.2 m. So has the weight. The car is now a good 35 kg heavier.

The piece de resistance though, has to be the suspension. You can throw pretty much anything at it, and the car will remain unfazed. It's incredibly compliant under various road conditions and surfaces. The suspension does not feel under-damped whilst navigating the rough stuff, and it certainly doesn't feel over-sprung when driven over undulated surfaces. Additionally, the calibration of the steering has been revised and it does feel a bit better to use.

What truly surprised me was the car's 'bad-roading' capabilities. We took it off the tarmac in search of picturesque backdrops for some clean profile shots, and we had to negotiate some seriously beaten stretches of what the 15th Century people may call a road. And I must say, the car handled it with aplomb! The additional ground clearance is a real boon for those who feel a little adventurous from time to time, not to mention the incredible advantage they pose for some city dwellers that regularly wade through waterlogged roads or navigate culverts that are routinely passed off as speed-breakers.

SHVS and Re-gen braking:

Maruti's Smart Hybrid technology has found its way into the refreshed S-Cross. SHVS essentially employs an integrated starter generator and its primary objective is to enhance fuel-efficiency.

In the real world, I'm sure most of the FE improvements come from the irritating idling start-stop system that switches the engine off at a standstill. Unfortunately, we couldn't establish their claim, as we were busy putting the car through its paces. I did notice the 'SHVS' indicator popping up every time I backed off the throttle in 5th gear. Speaking of which, every time I backed off the throttle in 5th, or in any gear for that matter, the engine would noticeably fall out of the power-band a lot quicker than normal. It feels as though there is some sort of resistance whilst moving forward. Perhaps, the feeling of being tugged at from the back would help paint a clearer picture. Maybe it was the regenerative braking that had something to do with it? I'm not quite sure.

The ARAI FE rating has gone up to 25.1 kmpl (earlier 23.65 kmpl).

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2017 at 08:18.
suhaas307 is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 12:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

The Smaller yet Significant Things

Lower variants of the car get these chrome-laden halogen projector units:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-img_1646.jpg

For the refreshed S-Cross, Maruti has ditched the questionable JK Elanzos for these wider JK UX Royales (205/60 R16 on the old S-Cross vs 215/60 R16 on the refreshed model):

This little stalk here helps you adjust the brightness of the instrumentation console:

With SHVS, the car gets a gearshift indicator. While prompting for an upshift, only an "up" arrow is shown, whereas for downshifts, the correct gear number as well as a "down" arrow are shown:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-gearshift.jpg

Maruti should have offered a rear air-con unit on the facelift! So many cheaper cars offer the same today. Rear occupants are greeted to a slab of plastic instead:
Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift-08.jpg

Disclaimer: Maruti invited Team-BHP for the S-Cross Facelift test-drive. They covered all the travel expenses for this driving event.
suhaas307 is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 12:16   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driven: The 2017 Maruti S-Cross Facelift

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing, rating a full 5-stars!

Your last review as a bachelor, Suhaas . Congrats in advance to Mr. & Mrs. Suhaas307! Wish you two a lifetime of joy & happiness .
GTO is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 12:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

Crisp review, Suhaas!

I, perhaps, will be in the minority when I say that grill apart, the facelift front looks much better than the outgoing version. It now has some character of a cross-over/SUVish vehicle. But yes, what a terrible grill.

Also, very surprising that Maruti omitted a rear air-con unit; cars that are segments below have this and given the growing competition in this space, it could have been a one-up.

Overall, I feel Maruti could have used this facelift to significantly advance the S-Cross vis-a-vis the competition: introducing an AT, petrol and keeping the 1.6. With just a 1.3 diesel Manual, wonder what is Maruti's game plan.
libranof1987 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 13:10   #8
BHPian

Good review Suhaas,

Though the overdose of chrome on the grill looks of very bad taste, the average Indian buyers will love it! Sure it looks like an aftermarket chrome enhancement (like those we saw it on the swifts and i20 grills), it definitely made the S-Cross look more SUV than a hatchback. May be blackening of the grill will look good.

Anyway, this facelift will make the S-Cross sell more for sure

All Wheel Disc Break and ABS & Dual Airbags as standard is a welcome move

Dropping the 1.6 is not much of a big negative (sales point of view) since it was only considered by enthusiasts mainly

The biggest negative is no Petrol, No AWD and no AT. While the market loves Automatics and moving towards petrol cars, the premium crossover from Suzuki doesn't get both of these.
Bad move I must say.

By the way, Happy married life Suhaas.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 13th November 2017 at 13:11.
Asish_VK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 13:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review . Finally I got to read the unbiased review of S-Cross face-lift. I was reading the review in one of the most reputed magazine and it was mentioned like "You won't really miss the 1.6 Engine because of free revving 1.3 SHVS"
Dr.Naren is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 13:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Maruti S-Cross is on sale in India at a price of between Rs. 8.49 - 11.29 lakhs (ex-Delhi).
At the outset, I would like to Congratulate you and wish you all the best and happy times ahead.

Thanks for putting up details of the facelift. I was eagerly waiting for it. The LEDs on headlamps is actually a DRL if I am correct because they light up with ignition and fade a bit when headlights are switched on.

One question I've to ask is how is the pickup when you throttle it compared to earlier one as this comes with SHVS. I have a Brezza which hasn't got SHVS and I drove an Ertiga with SHVS, I found the response from Ertiga to be little sluggish compared to Brezza.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 13:35   #11
BHPian

One possible reason for discontinuing 1.6L engine might be the adverse effect it might be having on the 1.3L one. (this is my guess) when one test drives the excellent 1.6 and then 1.3, he/she might feel that 1.3 L is too much of a compromise (esp on S-cross, a competent handler literally shouting for a bigger engine), and rather than compromising with 1.3, would be going for the 1.5L cars in similar price bands. Now that 1.6 is not there, people would only compare the other bits - looks, space, brand value, resale (1.3 is the undisputed king there), reliability etc, and tid-bits like Chrome-grill (i don't like it, slightly lesser chrome and a little small "grin" would have helped), 4 disc-breaks etc.

Personally, I loved the new Nexa blue color. It looks stunning. Excess chrome I can get rid off.

I will (hopefully) be in the market for a new car somewhere next year. S-cross is definitely on my list (it is the only car from MS stable I have ever liked, albiet with 1.6 engine). Having driven swift, dzire and other cars with the same 1.3L engine, it would be interesting to see if it can do at least compromising justice to the excellent car otherwise.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 14:19   #12
BHPian

Congrats Suhaas on the big day in life.

Can anyone pls share more pictures of the lowest variant of updated SCross? My budget is keeping me away from mid+ variants, but the lowest variant seems to be in reach. is it worth it for the price?

EDIT: I mean the 2nd lowest variant.

Last edited by Dieselritzer : 13th November 2017 at 14:28.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 14:19   #13
BHPian

Great review! I for one don't find the grill too offensive, plus it seems fairly easily to black out with plasti dip or a wrap. The overall design of the car is pretty mature anyway. I am however really surprised that Maruti has missed the opportunity to provide an automatic option! This car has the potential to sway a lot of people who don't like the build quality of the typical Maruti, and an auto tranny option (not AMT) could have sealed the deal, at the price point this car will retail at.
Lone Ranger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 14:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Great review. The interior quality is surely amazing for a Maruti (or rather Nexa). One comparison with Ciaz standing next to it in Nexa showroom makes the quality very clear.

I think you are quite harsh on the facelift front. I loved it very much, and the car - to me- is now looking European rather than being a SX4 version. The white LED projector lights are powerful and look good.

Turning radius of 5.5 is too much for this size. Wonder why it is so wide. The boot space is moderate. Maybe they have used the extra space for rear seat leg room.

I hope they launch some automatic version in new 1.5 engine - either petrol or diesel. It will be a perfect car for India, then.
ani_meher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 14:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Keyless entry coupled with push-button ignition seems to have become the norm amongst most manufacturers. You may choose to turn off the irritating idling start / stop feature by hitting the switch beside it:
So where has the headlamp leveler button gone? Is it present in this face lift or has been eliminated for the sake of that auto start stop button?

Most Viewed