Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2018, 13:11   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Black Mahindra TUV300 T6+ MT : Palio MJD replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Performance on the 100 BHP variant is decent though not in Ecosport territory.
Hello!

Have you ever considered getting a Dieseltronic performance box, like Captain did? I find myself wondering if I would do it after completing 1 or 2 years of ownership for my tank. That and the Rogerab PU suspension spacers - on my tentative wishlist.
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Hello!

Have you ever considered getting a Dieseltronic performance box, like Captain did? I find myself wondering if I would do it after completing 1 or 2 years of ownership for my tank. That and the Rogerab PU suspension spacers - on my tentative wishlist.
I understand that the box basically cheats the ECU into thinking that it needs to increase the rail fuel pressure. A re-map is a better way to extract performance. So no box for me. Rogerab spacers I might add at a later date.

Actually the way this vehicle builds speed upto 50-60 km/hr is quite surprisingly good. So the only point where you miss the performance is on the highway and most highways having limits of 80-100 km/hr, one doesn't miss the performance much.

Except three Delhi-Agra runs I haven't taken this vehicle out on the highway anywhere. Let me see what happens and whether I really miss any performance upgrade.
Old 7th June 2018, 13:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
The one thing that has changed since my purchase is that the 100 BHP engine is now standard on all variants and (maybe) a slight upward revision in price. While it makes the T4+/T6+ more attractive (you get a reasonably well-loaded variant under ten big ones on-road in most Indian states), it doesn't change much if you were shopping for the higher variants.

Finally your choice will depend on body-on-frame vs monocoque and the inherent characteristics of both in terms of ride quality and handling. Performance on the 100 BHP variant is decent though not in Ecosport territory. Low-end torque makes it very good in the city as the Brezza's turbolag can be a bit of a pain at times.
Thanks a lot for the inputs, have finally decided on the Ecosports only. Now its the waiting period.
Old 10th July 2018, 11:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

We approach 15,000 km this week. It is almost eight months of ownership. Except for the initial rattles and squeaks from speakers and seat belts and the warranty replacement of vacuum modulator, there is nothing to report.

The AC works really well and very rarely do I need to take it to 'normal' AC mode. It's always working in 'Eco' AC. Fuel efficiency has been between 14 and 15 consistently with 13.xx seen only once or twice, and the worst of summer in terms of AC load is over.

Do I miss not purchasing the 100 HP version? Well, Yes, for the highway performance sees a flat spot at 2200 RPM where the 100 HP version would have continued delivering till 3000 RPM. But, at the same time, no, because we were very clear of our 9 lakh rupee budget and upgrading to 100 HP would have squarely put us 1.5 lakhs over. Since I am in the city 99% of the time nowadays and there are speed guns all over anyways, the performance till 50-60 km/hr is excellent.

All the while I had a small hatchback with 170 mm GC and turbo lag, I was travelling all over North India. Now that I have a 7 seater, 190 mm GC, ladder-frame glorified tractor with loads and luggage space and ruggedness, I am a city slicker stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

Life's little ironies!

Last edited by architect : 10th July 2018 at 11:42.
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 12:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

Delhi rains and water fording right outside my house took away my front number-plate! Had to get new ones for the front and also changed the frame on the rear one. The frames provided by Movell are not so great.

Will be reaching 18,000 km today. No issues since the last service. FE has dropped a bit due to long traffic jams due to rains and AC but I still manage to keep it above 13.75 and usually above 14 km/l. If I tone down my driving style a bit more, I can probably do better.
architect is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 19:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

Went for the 20,000 km service over the previous weekend. Total damage including Wheel Alignment and Rotation was Rs 4,985. It was the same amount at the second service at 10,000 km and something like Rs 3,5xx/- in the first service. The one unscheduled service (for changing vacuum modulator under warranty) was FOC.

There have been no other issues so far.

Though the car is only 11 months old, got a PUC done at the service center (and got a validity of 1 year!). I also purchased the Extended Warranty for the 4th and 5th year but did not purchase further RSA coverage, which finishes in a few days now, because most insurance companies provide RSA in their policy nowadays.

FE is touching 14.50 km/l and higher now (no or very little AC usage). I have done four highway trips so far (short ones of 300-500 km per day). Given the speed limit of 80 km/hr on most highways and 100 km/hr on expressways, the power on tap is sufficient but not fantastic. In fact I got 16.75 km/l on a Delhi Jaipur run with 4 adults and luggage and about 50% AC usage. As per the AC usage odometer, I have used the compressor for about 6,500 km out of 20,000 km.
architect is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 17:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

Black Mahindra TUV300 T6+ MT: 1 year and 22,500 km.

So we finished one year with the black TUV300 T6+ 85 HP version last week. I am happy to say that except for the vacuum modulator replacement under warranty after some minor sounds, it has been an uneventful ride for a full twelve months and 22,376 km. About 3,000 out of this figure has been trips to Agra, Jaipur and one trip to Kumaon hlls in Uttarakhand.

Including the extended warranty for year 4 and year 5, the total on-road price for us was Rs 9.8 lakhs. For that sum of money, I feel the vehicle has delivered, at least in the initial ownership.

The average fuel efficiency through the entire cycle has been 14.75 km/l with 17 km/l being highest and 13 km/l being the lowest. 14-16 km/l is the common range. For a 1.65 tonne vehicle, it is an acceptable response to the "kitna deti hai" question.

This not being the fully loaded variant, everyone still likes the space and the seating comfort in the first two rows as well as the gadgets (though the speakers could definitely have been better). The third headrest is the only omission in that area. The last row has been used by kids occasionally.

What could definitely improve is the low-speed ride quality, with its habit of swaying badly over speed breakers and bad patches over crawling speeds. Once we are beyond 40 km/hr, things improve rapidly. Still coming from the Palio, ride quality leaves a lot of be desired.

Having driven on city roads, expressways, undivided roads in Western UP and Uttarakhand, I find this vehicle very suitable for India. Why?

1. It doesn't fall out of breath till 90 km/hr or so. The speed limits being 80 or 100 on most divided highways and expressways (and speed guns being rampant everywhere in North India, at least) you are pretty much OK within legal speeds. That said, 120-130 km/hr is possible and achievable to sustain without too much drama.

2. The linear power delivery is a joy in its predictable nature and 90% peak torque at 1000 RPM or so. Overtaking is a much simpler exercise than on a car with an MJD engine, where you are more likely to pull off a risky manoeuvre but also get a heart attack due to last moment power delivery.

3. The fuel efficiency remains pretty much consistent.

4. It gets people out of your way.

5. It has excellent stock headlamp setup with a high position and good throw and spread. With the original bulbs replaced with Philips Extreme Vision, it is even better now.

6. The bench like seating is actually very comfortable over long journeys. I would get backaches in the Palio due to the low seating position if I put in 8-9 hours behind the wheel.

7. The high GC and location of all critical components (except the front number plate, as one can read in one of the previous posts) is good for minor water-logging.

8. Stock tyres, though HT, are decent, at least in my vehicle with Apollo Apterra.

9. With 4.2 m length (including the spare wheel) and 15" wheels, it is easy enough for driving about the city, as long as you keep the width in mind.

The one and only time I have been a little caught out is an incident that happened about three weeks ago where a navigation mistake, particular conditions of the road and the lack of MLD put us in a tight spot. That will come in my next post.

Last edited by architect : 1st December 2018 at 17:09.
Old 2nd December 2018, 13:09   #53
BHPian

Quote:
1. It doesn't fall out of breath till 90 km/hr or so. The speed limits being 80 or 100 on most divided highways and expressways (and speed guns being rampant everywhere in North India, at least) you are pretty much OK within legal speeds. That said, 120-130 km/hr is possible and achievable to sustain without too much drama.
what is the Tyre pressure you use? On my recent drive, I was able to touch and sustain significantly higher speeds with a full load with a psi of 35. This was the first time I went to 35, in my 11 months of ownership.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 15:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: Black Mahindra TUV300 T6+ MT: 1 year and 22,500 km.

Quote:
The one and only time I have been a little caught out is an incident that happened about three weeks ago where a navigation mistake, particular conditions of the road and the lack of MLD put us in a tight spot. That will come in my next post.
I think I should write about this one incident. There is a resort I have been to near Sitla (Mukteshwar) in Uttarakhand which has a part dirt / part stone flagged / part concrete road for the last 2 km off the state highway. It is a road that requires skill more than strength or grip. People do it even on Vernas (I have done it twice with the Palio MJD).

The first part is a very steep downhill on a concrete surface which branches off to the right to the village road. I missed that right turn due to a mixture of over-confidence and lack of attention ("after all, I have been here twice before, how could I forget?" sort of thing) and continued some 100 metres ahead before the realisation of our mistake occurred.

The road thinned out to a stone-flagged track leading to the jungle and there was no space to turn back. There was a drain on the side which made turning back impossible. I tried reversing, but with HT tyres, dew-wet stone, dirt and pine needles, it was pointless. The lack of MLD made grip worse, almost impossible. We were stuck and burning clutch.

It was around 3.30 PM with the darkness of a November evening approaching. The nearest tractor was three hours away and the area is known for leopards, there was one recently in the dining hall of the resort where we were headed. It was not nice, but thankfully, we were still within shouting distance of human habitation.

We found a helpful local and an unfriendly dog. They got another person. Meanwhile, the resort owner was called on phone and he sent two staff over on a motorbike. The two locals filled up the drain with stones to level it with the path so that I could reverse into the drain and do a three point. Much mud-raking followed due to MLD-less wheelspin. I was worried about how much clutch life I had left since the upward slope was awfully steep. But we made it. (We even made it out back to the highway four days later so the clutch was fine). The dog had become friendly with my wife and was licking her hands by the time we got out.

In short, the TUV is better off with an MLD. But it is even better off with a more careful driver. EDIT: Completed 25,000 km yesterday. Got a mid-service interval wash at World of Service, Noida.
Attached Thumbnails
Black Mahindra TUV300 T6+ MT : Palio MJD replaced-whatsapp-image-20190113-3.59.23-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by architect : 18th January 2019 at 16:16.
architect is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 16:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
what is the Tyre pressure you use? On my recent drive, I was able to touch and sustain significantly higher speeds with a full load with a psi of 35. This was the first time I went to 35, in my 11 months of ownership.
I start with 35 the day I top up on nitrogen. First few days I suffer terrible ride quality as I am usually carrying only two people in the car. It settles down nicely to 32-33. In about 8-10 weeks it goes to below 32 and I top up again.
Old 15th April 2019, 16:20   #56
Senior - BHPian

So, we finish 30,000 km this week or probably next week.

The comprehensive list of issues so far is as follows:

1. Squeaking noise from seat belt clasp for first 3000 km or so fixed with WD-40 spray
2. Rattle from drivers' door fixed in first service at 3,000 km
3. Thud noises from the gearbox console area when going over a speed breaker when engine is cold. fixed by greasing propellor shaft at gear-box end.
4. Vibration from A-pedal whenever the vehicle goes over speed-breaker. diagnosed as faulty vacuum modulator mounting. Replaced FoC under warranty at 7,500 km and replaced AGAIN at 30,000 km. There is no issue mechanically or functionally, though: just the mount transferring vibrations to the foot.
4. Reversing camera malfunctioning. Screen replaced by third party-vendor for Rs 700/- as it was out of warranty.
5. One puncture at around 29,000 km mark. Is that even an issue?
6. Clutch Pedal Shank Assembly. I didn't notice anything but it was replaced FoC under recall issued

As one can see, none of the above are serious issues. Even the vacuum modulator mount is an irritant at most and it has been replaced TWICE by Mahindra under warranty. As predicted by most Mahindra owners I spoke to before purchase, the TUV is actually a pretty evolved Mahindra. Even the wheelspin can be minimised by asking somebody to sit in the rear seat in tricky terrain!

Fuel efficiency stays put between 13.5 km/l and 16.5 km/l depending on traffic and AC usage. However, the above are extremes, the norm being 14.5 (summer) and 15.75 (winter) with my driving conditions.

Two days ago, I took the TUV for the 30,000 km service. This time, I couldn't hang around at the ASC. All work as per schedule was done including:

Oil, Oil filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Battery Water top-up, Coolant top-up
AC vents / ducts cleaned using some 'perfumed' chemical
EGR valve cleaned using spray
Clutch Pedal Shank Assembly (FoC under recall)
Vacuum Modulator (FoC, under warranty, for the second time)
Torquing all Chassis Bolts
Checking / Cleaning brake pads (front)
Wheel Alignment, Balancing, Rotation
Wash
The omnipresent Disposable Covers

Total Damage including paid labour and GST: Rs 8430/-

There is one issue left. The entire front of the car is full of tiny white spots of paint (probably acquired at one of my sites) on the front bumper, grille, bonnet, windscreen, fenders, mirrors, etc. Washing with diesel etc has not removed them. My only hope is 3 M. White spots on a black car are not done!

This is the experience so far: reliable with no major surprises. I am happy!
Old 30th September 2019, 11:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

At 39,3xx km and a little over 22 months, I have got the 40,000 km service done.

The vehicle has been reliable and no unscheduled visits to the ASC or any service center have been required. It is torquey and linear in power delivery and therefore a pleasure to drive in the city. It is spacious. Lights are excellent for a conventional 55W halogen+reflector setup (especially after the shift to Osram Night Breaker bulbs). The Ground Clearance and the ladder frame is a boon over a bad patch.

The ride quality could have been improved a lot (especially low-speed ride) and the engine could do with a bit more top-end grunt (this, I could have also achieved by buying the T8 100 HP version but I had a budgetary limitation). The middle passenger in the rear could have had a headrest. The wheels could have been 16-inchers to broaden my tyre choices among SUV tyres. Wheelspin problem could have been solved at the suspension / power-train design stage.

I think the above is pretty much completes the list of the major pros and cons of the vehicle.

Service was regular stuff (including Mahindra's habit of cleaning your AC and your EGR with spray which is probably just a means of earning money). I had two main complaints:

(a) Slight juddering of clutch in stop-and-go traffic when you switch on AC, if the engine is still cold, especially since I prefer to move forward with minimum throttle input. (I get a long traffic jam every morning 300 m away from home)
(b) Rattle from driver's door.

The clutch / brake fluid was changed entirely as per schedule and things are much better for problem (a). For (b), they replaced the plastic lugs that hold the doorpads (5 pieces for Rs 200/-. I didn't try to get a warranty claim though I could have, I suppose).

Final bill including PUC and GST was Rs 11,3xx/-. Labour charges for service have gone up from 2700/- to 3500/- Wheel Alignment, Balancing and Rotation are expensive but they do a decent job and save me half a day in going elsewhere (it is almost 800-1000/- in any good South Delhi Service Centre and maybe about 1500 or so at the ASC).

The comprehensive list of issues so far is as follows:

1. Clutch judder on cold engine: Seems to have gone with fluid replacement as per schedule and bleeding
2. Noise from Driver's Door pads: lugs replaced.
3. One puncture at around 29,000 km mark.
4. Clutch Pedal Shank Assembly. I didn't notice anything but it was replaced FoC under recall issued
5. Vibration from A-pedal diagnosed as faulty vacuum modulator mounting. Replaced FoC under warranty at 7,500 km and replaced AGAIN at 30,000 km. There is no issue mechanically or functionally, though: just the mount transferring vibrations to the foot.
6. Reversing camera malfunctioning. Screen replaced by third party-vendor for Rs 700/- as it was out of warranty.
7. Squeaking noise from seat belt clasp for first 3000 km or so fixed with WD-40 spray
8. Rattle from drivers' door fixed in first service at 3,000 km
9. Thud noises from the gearbox console area when going over a speed breaker when engine is cold. Fixed by greasing propellor shaft at gear-box end.

As one can see, none of the above are serious issues. Fuel efficiency stays put between 13.5 km/l and 16.5 km/l depending on traffic and AC usage, the norm being 14.5 (summer) and 15.75 (winter) with my driving conditions.
architect is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 17:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

Like most other people, nothing much to report. The TUV has not done more than 200 km since the lockdown started. It has not needed air in the tyres or diesel either for nearly three-and-a-half months (filled up two days before the lockdown in March).

I have done about 9,400 km since the previous service in September 2019. I was planning for the 50,000 km service at 49,xxx km but the lockdown happened. I can't go to the regular service center in Delhi until the state border movement restrictions are lifted and the same people have a branch near my home in Noida, but I am not sure whether to go there or not. Also, it is not mentioned anywhere in the manual about what the service interval will be if you do not do 10,000 km. I am assuming it is one month, but I am not sure. Would appreciate any information on that.

Last edited by architect : 29th June 2020 at 17:03.
architect is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 20:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
it is not mentioned anywhere in the manual about what the service interval will be if you do not do 10,000 km. I am assuming it is one month, but I am not sure. Would appreciate any information on that.
The service interval details should be in the manual. It would normally indicate xxx kms or xxx days since date of purchase (whichever is earlier). Many companies have extended warranty period and service period due to lockdown. It should not be a problem.
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
The service interval details should be in the manual. It would normally indicate xxx kms or xxx days since date of purchase (whichever is earlier). Many companies have extended warranty period and service period due to lockdown. It should not be a problem.
I have not found the service interval (in terms of time) anywhere on the manual or in the With You Hamesha App or on the internet. If you find it anywhere please let me know.

Most Viewed