Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2017, 11:31   #46
BHPian

re: S-Cross'd : My 2017 Maruti S-Cross 1.3L Facelift. EDIT: Sold!

Congratulations for the new car, Lauks

Nice write up complemented with great pictures. Looks great in White.

Initially I hated the looks of the S-Cross (Especially the grill). But now it has really grown on me! It really look good in flesh than in pictures.

Also good to know that the 1.3 national engine is more than adequate for normal use.

Have a wonderful ownership
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 12:37   #47
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations Laluks on getting S-crossed, loved every bit of your log. No wonder, why this log is rated with 5 stars.
varoon9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 13:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

I was also testing the LED headlights and was quite good throughout the drive. I switched on the fogs to realize that it was still the halogens. So we have LED white lights for the headlamps, and yellowish halogens for the fog lamp. Quite a colorful deposition
First off, congratulations Lalu on this lovely acquisition! Hope to read about your adventures with the Kungfu Panda in the days to come!
I have a question and i m afraid it will require you to do a bit of photography. I see that you have the LED headlight system in your car. I have seen them in action in the night but on a clear night with no oncoming traffic. I would like to know three things:
1. How effective are they in low/high beam on a four lane motorway with oncoming traffic, street lighting and other ambient light spill?
2. How effective are they in rains and fog? As good as halogens? Close enough? Require aux lighting?
3. With cities in India switching over to efficient LED street lighting, are the headlights effective? I have seen these street lights in the rain and no, they are rubbish. They simply make the rain drops brighten on my windshield and give off nothing for the blacktop.
N33raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 15:58   #49
BHPian

Congratulations Sir. Great review and rated 5 stars.

Scross is a good car but the tiny 1.3L engine does not do justice to such a heavy car. You will definitely feel under-powered in highways and loses it steam after 100kmph. To solve this, many of us have opted for the remaps which does help the matter a lot. I guess you may try this option if need be ( am sure you will knowing your passion for driving)

One of the minor irritant in our cars ( previous gen sc) is the jerkiness in the windows when we close or open it. Is it still a problem or MS has solved it?
Ananthc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 17:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

First of all Congrats Lalu & welcome to SCross family

Quote:
No Parag. I wouldn't have picked up a 1.6. My people wanted me to drive a car which doesn't allow me to do "stunts", even if I try. Civvy days have created enough impressions, unfortunately.
Well, 1.6 doesn't allow you to stunt; the brakes & tires needs a serious upgrade to do that.

Best part of 1.6 is that, the engine doesn't care no matter you've 5 ppl + luggage or just solo, it just does what it is supposed to do...DELIVER monstrous torque.

Good luck for a long term happy ownership & once again welcome to SCross family
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 17:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2017 S-Cross comes home on 31.10.2017....
Congratulations Lalluji
I peep into your threads just for pleasing my eyes on your wonderful images. You inspire anyone to 'get out and explore' places. I am trying my best to get away from the city whenever I can, but kid's school, exams and wife's never ending sword fights with them freezes my brain from most exotic drives. Hoping things will be easier when they are in the high school age.

My neighbour got the S-Cross blue variant last week, he was proudly showing me all the features, it looks stunning, I love the front grill. I think they took half of my grill and expanded it !

Wishing you another lakh and half miles of joy and pleasure on this beauty
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 19:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the feedback and wishes. Will reply once I get back.

Currently me and Kungfu Panda reporting from Rameshwaram.

S-Cross'd : My 2017 Maruti S-Cross 1.3L Facelift. EDIT: Sold!-1512135589052.jpg

Last edited by laluks : 1st December 2017 at 19:18.
laluks is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 19:20   #53
BHPian

Dear Laluks,
Your review about S Cross is a well calibrated one and very admiringly projected. Even, those who have had negative opinion about the car were made to re think about it after reading this report. Thanks.
smuniswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 20:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Laluks. Wishing you many happy miles.

And nice to see the typical Laluks style write-up back again in T-bhp

Quote:

But I was not satisfied with this test alone. So we took SCross to Meghamalai, where things are very different.
You took the poor thing to Meghamalai Baptism by fire!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 00:37   #55
Team-BHP Support

A bit late to the party but I had been following your dilemma all through out
Congratulations on your white S-Cross and Kungfu Panda seems to be a very apt name. I recently drove an S-Cross 1.3 for quite a bit of distance both on and off the road and was impressed. Last year I drove the 1.6 and was bowled over. The 1.3 does not have the same addictive punch, but it is no slouch. The best part is that the build quality does not feel like a Maruti. Wish you many miles of happiness!
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 01:42   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Kungfu Panda seems to be a very apt name
Heaps better than Dead Butterfly!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 17:15   #57
BHPian

Quote:

2017 S-Cross comes home on 31.10.2017.
Congratulations Sir. Your review is very detailed and captures the very fine points of the value of this car. It must be owned and used for a while before the true value of the car can be realized.

Quote:
So mostly a functional family car, and a car that doesn't allow me to do stunts (as the way my folks put it) is the one. I added safety, some space and economics to the equation. S-Cross wins
Totally!

Quote:
I picked up my sister and her son. He was annoyed I was not in my Civvy. He was telling me why am I bringing a Brezza? B R E Z Z A ????:

Quote:
I started taking SCross to office, one week after I acquired the SCross. At office, my good friends could not beleive it. They were shocked that I took a practical car and not an enthusiast's car. I can understand, they never could imagine me making this decision. Well that's one reason why I penned this all down. Sometime later I too would be reading all this and getting amused at myself.
I went through the same situation, even from strangers. Met a colleague from office in the elevator who heard about my S-cross purchase and during the conversation two strangers asked me - You moved from a Honda (city) to Maruti? Why? I was quite startled

Quote:
Before the trip I made a full tank. 594 Kms on Odo and 39.5 liters it drank, giving a first recorded mileage of 15km/liter of diesel. Coming from 8km/liter of petrol for the civic, this is like nothing!! It translates to some 2.5 times savings, boy I am starting to love the mileage crazy days ahead
The fuel tank reading doesn't seem to change for a really long time, eh?

Quote:
On highways SC was at home at 120 kmph speeds. 100Kmph/2100rpm, 120kmph/2600 rpm. Sweet spot of the car is 80-120, probably a bit more, quite stable and comfortable.

To test the climbs we took Danishpet, Kanavaipudur, Nagalur route to Yercaud. Its a broken stretch with steep inclines and blind curves. SCross did not loose steam at any point in time. It climbed, took the bad stretches, the stop start climb on the hairpins with great efficiency and comfort. The SC lacks punch is some statement very much unfounded in this test scenario. This is the average climb mostly a family man would subject his family and car too, unless he tries to compete with mountain goats. I do not think I want anything more from SCross. In the Yercaud climb, I felt I would have taken faster climbs and tighter hairpins with my Civic. But that we do for fun, not as an absolute requirement.

But I was not satisfied with this test alone. So we took SCross to Meghamalai, where things are very different. Here you have climbs and have no roads, but boulders. A real start stop climb with accurate placement of wheels not to scrape the under body. SCross did it with great efficiency. I think I am becoming a fan of SCross.

In some single lane highways I tried the overtake. Never did I feel SCross lacked steam. Third gear usability was a surprise to me. SCross grunts all the way to complete the overtaking move with ease.
I believe the 2000-3200 RPM range is where the sweet spot is. Third gear is incredible as you say but I found the overtaking a bit tricky on single laned highways.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 22:38   #58
BHPian

Congratulations laluks!!

A very well described, unbiased and visual treat of a review!

My experience was similar to that of other owners - colleagues and relatives were in disbelief that I shelled out well over 12 lakh rupees to acquire a Maruti, powered by the very same engine that does duty on the puny Ritz.

As one of the early owners of the DDiS 200 avatar of the pre-facelift S-Cross, I agree that understanding the capability and performance of the car helps rather than getting lost with the numbers on paper.

The 1.3 on the S-Cross is definitely no rocket, but neither is it an average joe!

Happy mile crunching! Drive safe!
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 22:50   #59
BHPian

Great review laluks! Congratulations
The S-cross is probably the best built car ever from the Suzuki stable.

The 1.3 Multijet is a great diesel engine and highly reliable. I had the pleasure of driving the FGT (fixed geometry turbocharger) 75bhp version of the engine in the Ritz for 4.5 years and it was absolute pleasure to drive.

Wishing you many happy miles on the S-cross!
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 13:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
See the picture I have marked the bushes. The one marked in red is definitely adjustable. Please check if the ones marked in yellow are also adjustable. I did this in both Swifts as the bonnet was sitting a bit up for my liking. The rear hatch bush might be on the hatch itself and not the body, please check.
The mentioned bushes in the bonnet are already all the way down. It doesn't help in my case. Bad luck.

Rear hatch, I adjusted that, ended up making pathetic noise when closed. But the gap remained the same even when pushed all the way in. So kept it back as it was.

Probably I will have to live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Since you are driving with SHVS off when it comes to replacement you can buy one from outside? But anyway I think SHVS compatible aftermarket batteries may soon be available if they are not already.
I also thought the same way. But what is switched off is only start stop feature. SHVS other functionalities like regenerative braking and integrated starter motors and removing alternator load, all will be active.

I guess the compatible after market batteries are readily available in a couple of years. Let us wait and watch now. Hopefully I do not have to replace for the next 3 to 4 years
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks