Team-BHP - My Maruti Ciaz Automatic
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My Maruti Ciaz Automatic (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/193487-my-maruti-ciaz-automatic-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by revintup (Post 4324665)
... a horrified sister replied and I quote " I said White or Red, not white and Red":uncontrol

Did she beat you black and blue ??

Attachment 1707866

Quote:

Originally Posted by revintup (Post 4324665)
And so I did what any intelligent man of the house would over a fight with the Lord of the house (The wife of course) . Give up. An unconditional surrender. And for sanity's sake, I did just that. And Grey was chosen.

Ah, my friend. You are not that intelligent yet :D ..
You could have pushed for the grey, and down-played the color you wanted. If grey had been selected, you would have got the points. If white was selected, you would have got the color !
Nicely written ! The FE was revelation for me. Here's wishing you a long & happy ownership of the Ciaz.

Great review of a competent car. I had rented one from Zoomcar last year & totally agree with you on the AT gearbox. It does the work perfectly well for sedate driving. We got a decent 12.3 kmpl for the entire trip with lots of crawling on pathetic Mumbai Goa Highway & some hill driving in Konkan thrown in.

Congratulations on the Ciaz revinitup !! You have a great writing style. You had me glued to the review sitting in my office chair. Ramu kaka wasn't missed much

Regards,

Pawan

Quote:

Originally Posted by amolathalye (Post 4338412)
I am finding myself in similar dilemma and my opinion about all other cars you have mentioned is exactly the same. And that's why despite so many cars around I now am left with only one option and that is Ciaz AT. My decision is still pending as I find my Grand i10 to be more responsive than Ciaz AT. I also don't like the fact that Maruti has not provided paddle shifters or a manual mode which is available with some other smaller and less expensive cars. How do you find the ground clearance with full load.

I have not driven a Grandi10, but have driven the amaze CVT and the Ciaz is much more responsive, of course this could be attributed to the CVT lag. Also am pretty sure the Ciaz is much more fuel efficient since it has been tuned that way.
Ground clearance is not much of an issue, but BHPian Vaisakh, who owns a Ciaz has adviced me to be wary of the extended bumper lip.
Maybe you could wait for the Ciaz facelift? Its reportedly coming with a CVT and a more powerful engine.
Quote:

Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 (Post 4338443)
Beautifully written review!
P.S: Do they sell it in black colour? I would love to get one in black colour.

Yes, they do.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushmenon (Post 4338516)
Great choice of colour there. Lucky that you were spared the pains of colour selection dilemma by the "Kochi Bhpian gang". I was meted that misfortune when I was selecting my car colour; and believe me, it's meaty enough to get you pluck your hair.

lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjithin (Post 4338587)
Congratulations on your new ride and well written review.
Can you share the cruising rpms at 80,100 &120kmph?

I have not had much of a go on the highways, and like I mentioned am a sedate driver. Infact the Kochi BHPian gang has coined a new term 'Laadate', which is a mix of my nick name and sedate:D

80 kmph - 2000rpm, and that is the max I could hit considering lack of straights around my place. I will let you know about the 100, but I don't think I will ever want to hit 120, 'Laadate' you know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaurusAl (Post 4338609)
Congratulations. Just test drove one myself yesterday and loved the feel of the car, though I am used to the high seating position of my TUV 300.

I am in a dilemma if I should book a Ecosport or the Ciaz AT. Since you own both, can you throw some light on Ecosport's reliability ? I do frequent highway drives and want my car to be extremely reliable with strong suspension and GC. What do you recommend between the both ?

I would recommend the Ecosport.
The Ford has been extremely reliable saving some minor niggles like the alloy bolts, two damaged wheel well cladding and steering control buttons ( replaced within warranty). The Ecosport is more fun to drive, and my choice for the highways by far. However the harsh ride and lack of interior space means the rear seat occupants wont really find it comfortable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaurusAl (Post 4338609)
Congratulations. Just test drove one myself yesterday and loved the feel of the car, though I am used to the high seating position of my TUV 300.

I am in a dilemma if I should book a Ecosport or the Ciaz AT. Since you own both, can you throw some light on Ecosport's reliability ? I do frequent highway drives and want my car to be extremely reliable with strong suspension and GC. What do you recommend between the both ?

Hi ,

If you think , space if important for you then do not even think of Ecosport. I have test driven the New Ecosport AT and Ciaz AT both back to back , Ecosport's overall quality is top notch and power of engine is also adequate but the space is too little at it's cost. I felt they are asking too much of premium for the high seating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjithin (Post 4338587)
Congratulations on your new ride and well written review.
Can you share the cruising rpms at 80,100 &120kmph?

In Top gear, 120 kmph comes at 3k rpm.

80kmph - 2k rpm and 100kmph at 2.5k rpm

Hi Arun,
Nice review, as many people mentioned, short and to the point.
IMHO, the red looks really striking. Too bad that you didn't ask for an opinion in the bhpians group, or did I miss that. We would have guided you the right way as we have with many others lol:
I guess it's a very sensible choice for your parents, I'm sure they will like it provided they get to drive it as well stupid: Definitely so once you get the hang of petrol, diesel is just unacceptable (that's my pov).
Wish you and your family safe miles.

Cheers!

1st free service

Took the vehicle for the first month free check up. There is a designated service advisor for Nexa cars, and I was told only specially trained personnel work on Nexa vehicles. Dont think that part is true.

Was charged Rs30 for wiper fluid and battery water top up:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by revintup (Post 4341164)
Was charged Rs30 for wiper fluid and battery water top up.

Those thirty rupees will go a long way in enriching Maruti, I presume! The much hyped NEXA experience is turning out to be not much different or better than the regular Maruti service. Agreed that the windscreen washer fluid and the distilled water costs money, but can't they be included as courtesy items?

OT: You have reviewed the car well. It made a very interesting read, specially with the occasional doses of wit and sarcasm. Hope the car serves you well and for long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by revintup (Post 4341164)
1st free service

Took the vehicle for the first month free check up. There is a designated service advisor for Nexa cars, and I was told only specially trained personnel work on Nexa vehicles. Dont think that part is true.

Was charged Rs30 for wiper fluid and battery water top up:Frustrati

You will be charged for that wiper fluid in each and every service even if you already have loads of them, I too have about 7-8 sachets of that liquid and yet I get charged for them in every service.
So better get used to that now as I also got.:uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailydriver (Post 4341225)
Those thirty rupees will go a long way in enriching Maruti, I presume! The much hyped NEXA experience is turning out to be not much different or better than the regular Maruti service. Agreed that the windscreen washer fluid and the distilled water costs money, but can't they be included as courtesy items?

OT: You have reviewed the car well. It made a very interesting read, specially with the occasional doses of wit and sarcasm. Hope the car serves you well and for long.

The car is just a month old, and I can remember only once that I used the windshield cleaning fluid. Also the battery water needed topping up after just a month?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kush812 (Post 4341563)
You will be charged for that wiper fluid in each and every service even if you already have loads of them, I too have about 7-8 sachets of that liquid and yet I get charged for them in every service.
So better get used to that now as I also got.:uncontrol

I always mention no windshield top ups and no alignment/balancing every single time I take a car for servicing. Just that this time never in my imagination did I think they would top it. I usually top it up just before taking it to service so that there is no room for even a droplol:
Even if its filled up, they keep the sachets inside the car and bill it, and like you, even I have enough stock for doomsday.

Hi revintup,
Thanks for the wonderful review. Your review influenced me to persuade my parents to buy a Ciaz AT to replace our 10-year-old Innova. I told them to buy an AT instead of constantly battling it out in Bangalore traffic- the Innova is surprisingly easy to drive in Bangalore though.
What tips would you give a driver who is new to ATs in India? My mom has never driven an AT and my dad used to drive ATs in the US a long time ago.

How is the car treating you and what are realistic FE figures to expect in city and highways? My mom won't use the car is in very dense traffic, just use it in relatively moderate traffic.

Thanks

Hello there,

Ciaz is actually an extremely comfortable sedan, and a fellow bhpian who used to own a Corolla says its just as comfy.

Speaking of bangalore, I was there for a few days and in that kind of traffic, an AT is a necessity. I have never managed to bottom it but a friend has warned me to be careful about the front overhang.

I have just sold my Ecosport, and the Ciaz is and will be my primary vehicle for a few months. I rarely encounter heavy traffic so my fuel efficiency hovers around 16 kmpl.

Expect to get 12 kmpl in heavy traffic, and 14 in moderate traffic. Late night highway runs are actually giving me around 17 kmpl or so.

And yes, ask your parents to properly plan overtakes, until they get a hang of the car and the gearbox. The AT is a bit slow to respond and will usually be at the highest possible gear, staying true to its genes.lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by revintup (Post 4378804)
Hello there,

Ciaz is actually an extremely comfortable sedan, and a fellow bhpian who used to own a Corolla says its just as comfy.

Speaking of bangalore, I was there for a few days and in that kind of traffic, an AT is a necessity. I have never managed to bottom it but a friend has warned me to be careful about the front overhang.

I have just sold my Ecosport, and the Ciaz is and will be my primary vehicle for a few months. I rarely encounter heavy traffic so my fuel efficiency hovers around 16 kmpl.

Expect to get 12 kmpl in heavy traffic, and 14 in moderate traffic. Late night highway runs are actually giving me around 17 kmpl or so.

And yes, ask your parents to properly plan overtakes, until they get a hang of the car and the gearbox. The AT is a bit slow to respond and will usually be at the highest possible gear, staying true to its genes.lol:

Excellent write-up Revintup! Quite entertaining as well, with the witty lines and sarcasm thrown in here and there!

Congrats on the purchase of your Ciaz AT. I just drove one yesterday after almost a year. It was an Alpha AT and I could touch 90kmph fairly easily here in Chennai yesterday afternoon. I wouldn't say the car is sluggish. It actually does not feel like a 1.4L engine. I drove both the Baleno Alpha CVT and the Ciaz Alpha AT. Baleno CVT was sluggish due to the CVT box.

The Ciaz AT compared really well with my 2010 blue i20 Asta 1.4L automatic (which I picked up in Sep 2017 at 48k kms). Since both cars were 1.4L and 4 spd autos, it was a good comparo for me. The Ciaz was definitely quicker to shift through the gears than my i20 AT. I also felt the Ciaz might have been lighter than the i20, contributing to the better performance.

However power figures wise, the 1.4L K Series is lower than my i20 1.4L engine. Mine has 100 bhp and 136 Nm torque, which the K14B has 91 bhp and 130 Nm torque.

With the current competition in the C segment, I think the Ciaz is still excellent value for money. The Honda City automatic is just ridiculously priced, especially the higher variants.

The Ciaz is ideal for what most Indian car buyers look for in a sedan from this segment. Space, fuel economy, big boot, excellent AC, good features and low cost of maintenance and a very good service network. Plus very reasonable cost of spares. It is not meant for people with a heavy foot and for power hungry drivers. Enthusiasts will avoid this car.

My i20 AT gives me 10 to 10.5 kmpl in Chennai city with AC and I get around 15 to 15.5 kmpl on highway drives. I usually do not exceed 110/120 kmph. The Ciaz AT being such a big car, giving upwards of 12 kmpl in city traffic is excellent. I think the engine and 4 speed AT are well matched.

I have recommended the Ciaz AT to so many of my friends and relatives and many of them have bought one too. They are all very happy with their cars.

As for me, having been an enthusiast of sorts after preferring only manual gearbox cars all these years, I shifted to an automatic as I started getting knee pain in my left leg. I do 60 kms a day including errands as well as picking up and dropping my 5 yr old son from/to school. I am 40 and my dad is 82 and he finds it tough to sit in the front seat of the i20. I may hang on to this car (as it satisfies me on almost everything, except that I miss the front armrest from my 2010 Verna 1.6 SX) for another year or so and then maybe go for either a new C segment automatic sedan or a used automatic SUV like a 4 or 5 yr old Honda CR-V, depending on my dad's condition at that time.

Mine is mostly city driving, but we do 2 out of town trips a year (religious and temple trips) about 300 kms each way. Now and then, some drives to Pondicherry do crop up as well :-) as my wife and son like to just go out for drives aimlessly!

Anyhow, here's wishing you all the best with your Ciaz AT for many more tens of thousands of kilometres to come! Please do keep updating your thread. Would love to keep checking. Have already bookmarked your thread!

Hello revintup,

Great writeup, and a great VFM car indeed. Congratulations, and hope you are enjoying the car.

Few questions:
> Do you miss the ICE of Alpha variant?
> How is the reverse-camera view - I was told that the display is on the IRVM?
> Was front bumper overhang an issue for you so far? With the unscientific humps and large craters (early rains have ruined the newly laid name-sake tar cover just few weeks ago in prep for the elections :Frustrati) on Bangalore roads, I am wondering if the 16" wheels of the Alpha are better-off.

TIA,
SMK_BLR