Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2019, 10:17   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driven: Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Buy the Tiguan soft roader - shares the MQB platform and engine but with a 7 speed DSG, AWD, etc., just got to live with those leatherette seats!
Unfortunately a die-hard sedan lover till now! Plus after getting used to the humongous space in the Octavia, only a Kodiaq or a Tiguan Allspace will suffice among the soft-roaders.

@kslives: that steering wheel button issue is also a hugely irritating peeve for me :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th August 2019 at 10:19.
Old 6th August 2019, 10:35   #242
Senior - BHPian

I don't see it as an issue. Why do you need the buttons to be on even with ignition off? Should it stay on even when you remove the key in case of non-kessy cars? How is one supposed to clean the steering or buttons, etc if the power is on. Imagine your cleaner messes with your setting every day by accidental presses of the steering buttons, it'll be a nightmare! And with the ignition mode only you can see car data in the MFD so you actually don't need the buttons until then. Music already has dedicated volume rocker below the screen.
Old 6th August 2019, 16:20   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I don't see it as an issue. Why do you need the buttons to be on even with ignition off? Should it stay on even when you remove the key in case of non-kessy cars? How is one supposed to clean the steering or buttons, etc if the power is on. Imagine your cleaner messes with your setting every day by accidental presses of the steering buttons, it'll be a nightmare! And with the ignition mode only you can see car data in the MFD so you actually don't need the buttons until then. Music already has dedicated volume rocker below the screen.
With the kind of start/stop traffic in the cities, I usually tend to turn ignition on at long stoppages. Making and receiving calls is more more convenient from the steering than the touch screen. Also, since I'm so used to this being the case in my BMW, I forget that VW will not give me that option..
kslives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 16:41   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslives View Post
With the kind of start/stop traffic in the cities, I usually tend to turn ignition on at long stoppages. Making and receiving calls is more more convenient from the steering than the touch screen. Also, since I'm so used to this being the case in my BMW, I forget that VW will not give me that option..
Exactly my situation as well in very heavy traffic. Also add when waiting for better half or even better smaller parts outside their beauty parlour/mall and schools/birthday parties respectively. Very irritating to use the volume knob in the Octavia on the MFD.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 18:42   #245
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Exactly my situation as well in very heavy traffic. Also add when waiting for better half or even better smaller parts outside their beauty parlour/mall and schools/birthday parties respectively. Very irritating to use the volume knob in the Octavia on the MFD.
Same here. I too miss this and often press the buttons and later realize it won't work.

I am sure there can be some intelligent logic that can be done like may be when the ignition turned off and driver door not opened keep the buttons active or something similar.
sud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 23:38   #246
BHPian

Any new buyers of the Passat? Is this still selling? Are the 2019 models out yet and how are the discounts currently?
Old 19th September 2019, 08:52   #247
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Is a little fogging in the headlamps ok?

No doubt Mumbai has had excess rainfall this season, but I was wondering if this is indication of future issues. Especially with the self leveling cornering function.

It's in the shop for the 6 month inspection service, and upfront the advisor has shrugged it off as normal. Saying only heavy water leakage is convered under warranty replacement.
Coincidentally there was another Passat there and it had heavy condensation in one lamp and was bone dry in the other.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-img_20190727_200542.jpg  

srgntpepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 11:05   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
Is a little fogging in the headlamps ok?
I have never experienced this in my Octavia Bi-X headlamps but then I stay in Bangalore :-).

Suggest you ensure this is recorded on the official job card AND the comments section of your service record/bill, so that if it deteriorates steadily VW cannot shrug it off as negligence on your part.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 18:40   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Suggest you ensure this is recorded on the official job card AND the comments section of your service record/bill, so that if it deteriorates steadily VW cannot shrug it off as negligence on your part.

Thanks. Did exactly that. The advisor said the warranty is 4 years, so if it gets worse next monsoon, it'll be covered. I made a handwritten note on the service card.

Overall am enjoying the car.
This is my third VAG car. The Herbie movies made me a fan of VW before I even saw one in real life.

Used to have a VW Jetta 2.0 lit petrol in the US about 17/18 years back. About the time VW started getting the trickle down benefits of Audi's tech and interior sensibilities. I Drove it about 70K miles on Californias roads. Eventually sold it just before I headed back to India.

Have a 9 year old Laura 1.8TSI. Honestly, the Passat can't beat the thrill of driving the TSI, so plan to keep it as a daily driver for as long as I can.

The Passat HL is a wonderful day long driver, my first experience with bells, whistles and near luxury. Bought it for the DCC and it's oft quoted understated looks. The wife drove home that point. I was waiting for her across the road in the Passat. She crossed diagonally, walked to a grey Vento parked 20 ft ahead of me, opened the door and then realized it was the wrong car.

Yet, I wholeheartedly recommend it. Hopefully the VAG service experience won't give me reason change this long mostly wonderful relationship. cheers!
srgntpepper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 16:07   #250
BHPian

Hi Guys - Which VW service centre would you recommend in Delhi NCR? My car is due for it's 1st service (15k) very soon and I want to make sure that it's not a torrid experience.

I got my previous "free" services (check-ups) from Frontier Autoworld, Gurgaon and I'm not particularly pleased with their level of service..
Old 4th October 2019, 17:42   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Same here. I too miss this and often press the buttons and later realize it won't work.

I am sure there can be some intelligent logic that can be done like may be when the ignition turned off and driver door not opened keep the buttons active or something similar.
Quite surprised that Hyundai thought about this. To switch on the car, we have to depress clutch and hit the start button. If we do not depress the clutch and press the start button twice, the touch screen, steering controls work. I've used android auto to play songs while the car is off.
Old 7th October 2019, 19:26   #252
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramradcliff View Post
Quite surprised that Hyundai thought about this. To switch on the car, we have to depress clutch and hit the start button. If we do not depress the clutch and press the start button twice, the touch screen, steering controls work. I've used android auto to play songs while the car is off.
The use case is slightly different. The sequence is: The engine is running, now we turn it off by pressing the start stop button while waiting for signal. Now the steering controls don't work but the central MFD works. For making the steering control to work I have to switch ignition or the engine on.
Old 7th October 2019, 19:43   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
Hi Guys,

Is a little fogging in the headlamps ok ?
I was wondering if this is indication of future issues. Especially with the self leveling cornering function.

Sorrry for being a little late in the day, but I suggest you follow this up rigorously. My left headlamp had some moisture trapped in the beam which i assumed would take care of itself once the sun came out. But with the monsoon refusing to part things only got worse. Now my left beam has no AFS function, does not level itself on start up either. VW has quoted 70K for the beam with bulbs and ballast + AFS module.
Old 9th October 2019, 15:16   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
VW has quoted 70K for the beam with bulbs and ballast + AFS module.
That will be covered under warranty though, right? Have seen a few Tiguans as well with fogging. Both had the LHS headlight fogging.
Old 9th October 2019, 15:20   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
That will be covered under warranty though, right ?

Nah. Car is 2012 model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks