Team-BHP - Driven: Volkswagen Passat
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Driven: Volkswagen Passat (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/194694-driven-volkswagen-passat-3.html)

Off topic.

Lol reminds me of my conversation with the service advisor when the Polo TSI failed. After few ups and downs they agreed to replace 'mechatron' free and with only labor to be paid. I agreed and then...

Me (jokingly): So since this is the first mechatron failure reported in Polo, you should think about taking care of labor cost and give us an achievement award :D

SA: No Saar, your is not the first. There were quiet a few before your car...

I was like :Shockked:

Great car, classy looking and am sure would be lovely to drive also. But the day you take it for the first service, all this will fall through the crack, first the premium price, then the dealership experience and finally the way things go wrong randomly. As much as I would hate a Toyota or a Honda for the boring cars, they just don't get into such random failures even in our Indian market.

@Manson I know you won't still, just get it fixed and dump her.

Superb review. Rated 5*. As owner of the Previous Passat, I find the omission of cooled seats puzzling. I use it every day in chennai heat and absolutely love it. Dynamic Chassis control is something not in earlier Passats, though I don't know how many use this in every day driving.

It is a great car to drive with good FE. Glad to know that the Vault feeling is present in the new MQB version.

Still I would pick Superb over Passat - Its proportion is now more well rounded compared to last version, has cooled seats and all other features that Passat has , I don't know if the highline comes with the same excellent Canton music system like in Superb. Plus the Superb is cheaper than Passat.

My observations which might not have made the review

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishy76 (Post 4345007)

- A Tiguan which has the same engine as the Jetta and more importantly or disappointingly doesn't develop any more power. In fact, the power to weight ratio takes a beating as compared to the Jetta

- The Kodiaq. One of the most all rounded products I have seen from the VAG lineup, but again that 2.0 TDI in its lower state of tune. Why VW? Don't you want repeat customers?

- The only praiseworthy launch has been the Superb. Fairly well priced, loaded to the gill with features and of course has the image of a limo although it doesn't have four rings or a propeller on the bonnet. The TDI is surprisingly available in its higher state of tune here. Why this ambiguity I ask?

From what I read the higher tune is not that suitable for load luggers due to its peaky nature and the refinement is inferior compared to the 150 PS. I read one Tiguan long term test - the reporter had a 150PS but tried the 180 PS but did not miss much.

Also note - India sales volumes do not justify additional homologation costs for each additional engine tune. VW are cutting back on image boosting cars etc. for the time being due to dieselgate costs and the need to re-invest.

Excellent review. My BIL seriously considered the Passat before taking delivery of the Crysta 2 weeks back.

One thing i never understood - since when did sporting company/ website names instead of registration plates become acceptable? We all love the forum without doubt. But our love going to an extent that we violate laws isn't acceptable i feel.

The TPMS tyre-sensors - are they internal or external?

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatbits (Post 4345341)
One thing i never understood - since when did sporting company/ website names instead of registration plates become acceptable? We all love the forum without doubt. But our love going to an extent that we violate laws isn't acceptable i feel.

TBHP plates only for the pictures usually I think. Road testing is always on the manufacturer provided plates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatbits (Post 4345341)
Excellent review. My BIL seriously considered the Passat before taking delivery of the Crysta 2 weeks back.

The T-BHP plates are done on Photoshop and not on the car. :)

Now that is one classy looking car by Volkswagen and as usual very good review from our folks. The problem is they introduced it very late in our market and also the absence of Petrol variant :deadhorse. With this pricing, the car would not even sell 100 units a month. Superb is the clear winner in this segment. Sales numbers are also proving it.

But people who wants to keep low profile can definitely takes this car over the Superb because this car looks understated. A normal person will not be able to identify this car immediately and might think this is another Jetta or Vento.

Although I like the classic and timeless designs of VW, this car looks too plain and bland atleast to me. Skoda Superb looks far better and classy than this, especially the Superb’s tail lights and headlights look just fabulous along with overall stance.
I always admire the design of Superb every time it passes me on road. I literally take a moment to appreciate the beauty.stupid:

What’s with manufacturers merging the grille and headlights together? Looks very weird even though the design itself is classy. As said by others, this car is a sheer class act and makes the entry level of the big german trio redundant.

I hope this car is a success. I for one would definitely prefer this over the A3, A-Class and the 1 series.

Clear design, with elegance, loaded with features BUT wants to look humble!

This car will find it hard to attract buyers, much like the nice guy who never finds true love.

I'll be looking for an upgrade from my Octavia Style+ TSI DSG in an year's time. Toss up between the Passat and the Superb.

In my opinion, VW lately is displaying a very aloof attitude to luxury offerings like the Tiguan and Passat. Skoda, on the other hand is much more eager for Superb numbers, plus trying to improve Service, and is also genuinely innovating within the constraints of their SKD production line.

VW behaves like the elderly arrogant moneyed uncle that no really looks forward to meeting at the Christmas get-together :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 4345240)
After few ups and downs they agreed to replace 'mechatron' free and with only labor to be paid. I agreed

Was the mechatron replaced out of warranty? Asking because you mentioned labor being separately charged to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosporus (Post 4346034)
Was the mechatron replaced out of warranty? Asking because you mentioned labor being separately charged to you.

Yes had to put a firm foot and finally they obliged to change it at no cost. The extended warranty of 4 years got over just 2-3 months before this.

I find it surprising that VW has persevered with the DQ250 in the Passat, and has not opted for the new and higher rated DQ500 it offers on the Tiguan. Both cars have the same engine and are built on the same base platform. 350Nm torque on a temperamental gearbox rated for upto 350Nm does not exude confidence to prospective buyers.