Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2018, 10:50   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driven: Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
2) Passat will be more powerful, with significantly nicer interiors in terms of design and quality, will hold it's value better being a more premium car and also newer (Octavia is already face-lifted), and though the Passat is a little bigger in terms of legroom - the Octavia with it's light colours and slightly higher seating will feel equally spacious. Also, the Passat comes with a much better rear suspension (multi-link) translating into better ride and handling than the Octavia TDi.
Your comments are spot on but I think the query was Octavia TSI to Passat TDI. In such a case, bhp is almost similar, torque is higher plus suspension is similar for both.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 11:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

There is still some ambiguity with respect to variants on offer for the Passat. The website mentions prices for the old CL and HL variants as it was at launch, where as the Connect editions have received a significant price cut. Not sure if the same exact features have been carried forward to the Connect edition.

If they have, its still to consider and justify a Rs. 3.25 Lakh price gap between the L&K Octy TDI and the Passat HL Connect for the extra features such as Dynamic Dampers which makes the suspension comparison redundant as DCC will be better in every respect, 360 camera, genuine leather full black interiors, opportunity to get a segment/size upgrade, overall better fit and finish compared to the Octy. I would spend this difference in a heartbeat, and just may be the possibility to get further discounts on the Passat sweetens the deal further.

So the choice now is clearly based on budget! It may not make sense to go for the comfort line, as feature wise it makes a more compelling case for the Octy vis a vis. Passat CL.

The only kicker going for the Octy currently being the Active Info Display, but expect similar silent upgrade for the Passat in days to come.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 14:20   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Your comments are spot on but I think the query was Octavia TSI to Passat TDI. In such a case, bhp is almost similar, torque is higher plus suspension is similar for both.
So sorry, I completely missed this and thank you for pointing it out.

I haven't driven the Octy TSi, but given the 1.8 TSi engine that I've seen on the Laura vRS, it'll definitely be a lot more fun to drive than the Passat IMO (I switched from a diesel Laura to a petrol, so I may be biased).

However, the Passat will be a far better family car + the DSG is more reliable. Yes, they say they've fixed the 7 speed DQ200 unit, but I've been hearing that since the old Superb days and there are still failures. While Skoda will fix it for free if something does go wrong - I for one would prefer to avoid the additional risk and hassles.

If I spent a lot of time in traffic - I'd pick the Passat for the nicer interiors (assuming it's not chaotic traffic where the added size would be a hindrance) + a remap for the open roads. But if I had access to good clean roads as part of my daily commute - then the Octy TSi would be my pick.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 09:04   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
I have made a few trips to VW showrooms since the price cut/variant change so would like to summarize my experience and put a few questions for the esteemed members.

For people who are in the market for the Octavia L/K, this price cut really shakes things up. Listing my experience from showroom visits and inquiries:
  • Dealers don’t have a clear idea about the differences between the Comfortline/Highline variants.
  • The current brochure lists 'DCC', advanced camera systems and the sunroof as the main differentiators between these variants but the sales advisors mentioned that the Comfortline lacks a lot more features including but not limited to the start/stop system, LED headlights etc.
  • I confronted them saying that either you or the brochure is wrong to which they checked and confirmed that the brochure is accurate. Not the most confidence inspiring thing to say the least.
  • But, the plot thickens. As of writing this post, the variant comparison on the website differs from the brochure. E.g. It lists that Comfortline lacks the "Bluetooth telephone preparation" features while the brochure has this box checked.
  • You would think that this is enough confusion but wait, there's more.
  • VW mentions that the headlights and taillights are LEDs, but astute readers would note that in international markets, the Passat ships with distinct types of taillights for different variants even though both are essentially LEDs. There is a difference in design and since the Headlight/Taillight pattern literally makes or breaks the look of the car it is a very critical thing that cannot be left to chance. But as most dealers have never delivered the Comfortline and VAG's constant reshuffling of features, the sales advisors would be clueless about this. Haven’t bothered asking such a difficult question till now.
  • Discounts have been standard in the form of 40k Loyalty, 60k exchange bonus and 60k corporate
So, we are left with these open questions:
  1. Has anyone bought or seen the Comfortline in person? It would be helpful if you can share some images especially about the headlights/taillights
  2. Any other discounts that can be negotiated?
  3. Does it make sense to stretch from the Octavia TSI L/K to the Passat TDI Comfortline. We are losing a few features for a segment upgrade but would like to know which one will be better overall with a focus on performance/reliability.
Thank you for reading the long post.
Your post arrived just in time before my visit to Volkswagen showroom on Saturday. And yes, I am in the same boat: Octavia TSI L&K vs Passat Comfortline. Apart from the differences that you have mentioned, there is a difference in the electrically adjustable front seats column on website (which is not mentioned in the brochure from the same website and has a last updated date of May 2018).

The sales person mentioned that the brochure is correct, but on further prodding said he will confirm with the company. Meanwhile, he did mention that Comfortline does not have powered passenger seats; only driver seats are powered. He has no clarity because he also has not seen the Comfortline version.

Currently I have no clarification to offer. But in a few days, I hope to get some from the company.

- Prasad
pnredkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 10:01   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Currently I have no clarification to offer. But in a few days, I hope to get some from the company.

- Prasad
If possible, ask him/her for any VIN of the new Comfortline. Should answer a bunch of our questions is we run it through a decoder.
Old 29th October 2018, 13:16   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Went for a Tiguan 'off-road' event this weekend, where they had also displayed the 'new' Passat. We managed to take a short test drive as well - it had been a while since I drove the Passat and also my comparison benchmark was set differently having spent some time driving our C & Tiguan.

All of these were highline trims, but I did ask about the CL variant. According to the dealer, some of the biggest features being missed out in CL variant are:
1) Sunroof
2) Ventilated seats (not heated, ventilated meaning it should have a cooling function as well)
3) Auto Park
4) 360 degree cameras (4 cameras in total).
5) Auto Start-Stop

Honestly, sunroof aside I don't think I will miss much else between both the variants.

Also would like to add the Sales rep present at the function wasn't too informed about the DCC and mentioned it has a standard suspension (non-adaptive). Unfortunately I wasn't able to test it in a 5 minute drive that I took.

Coming to the car:

What I liked:
1) Understated looks
2) Practical to live with: Full size spare, proper bottle holders, decent trunk, etc.
3) Classy interiors: Very Audi design, coupled with small touches like the beautiful seats & analogue clock
4) The ride quality is so soft and comfortable compared to the super stiff Tiguan, C 220, and even the Corolla. It's magical!
5) Spacious enough for a family of 5 - my friend found it a little better than the F10 5 series in terms of legroom.

Now, the downsides:
1) Too much wheelspin! Better rubber is needed as soon as you step out of the showroom, as the wheelspin makes it pretty difficult to put the power down at lower speeds.
2) Low rear seat not for the elderly.
3) It isn't a Superb when it comes to space and rear seat luxury!

Would I buy it?
Yes given I enjoy driving at nights and am often driven to work.
However, it will not be able to replace any of my existing cars at home, so instead I will recommend it to others who see a mix between self driving, and being driven.
For an enthusiast, it will not replace a German in terms of driving pleasure, but it will and it should make you think long and hard before putting money down on an Octavia / Superb.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 19:31   #82
BHPian

So I managed to get my hands on the Comfortline variant and have the following things to report:
  • The current brochure published on the page is technically accurate. I say technically because of one caveat that is the next point.
  • There is a difference in the headlamp design between the two variants. Both are LEDs but differ in the look and DRL pattern.
  • The Comfortline does get ventilated seats as well which again confirms that the brochure is accurate
  • It is logical to assume that they are discounting the old inventory which means that this is going to be a MY2018 car.

I managed to take a couple of pictures and will try adding them over the weekend.

The visit answered a lot of questions but raised some new ones.
  1. How old a car would you be willing to accept? I doubt we will get anything manufactured more recent than July
  2. Is it worth considering the Comfortline and planning for a headlamp retrofit in the future ? Although the Highline is worth the price difference, I think the headlamp design is the only thing pushing me on the edge. Would it be that important after you have 'lived' with the car a few days?

Have a pleasant weekend !

Last edited by SDP : 2nd November 2018 at 22:03. Reason: typos
theMandarin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 22:20   #83
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I managed to get my hands on the Comfortline variant and have the following things to report:
  • The current brochure published on the page is technically accurate. I say technically because of one caveat that is the next point.
  • There is a difference in the headlamp design between the two variants. Both are LEDs but differ in the look and DRL pattern.
  • The Comfortline does get ventilated seats as well which again confirms that the brochure is accurate
  • It is logical to assume that they are discounting the old inventory which means that this is going to be a MY2018 car.

I managed to take a couple of pictures and will try adding them over the weekend.

The visit answered a lot of questions but raised some new ones.
  1. How old a car would you be willing to accept? I doubt we will get anything manufactured more recent than July
  2. Is it worth considering the Comfortline and planning for a headlamp retrofit in the future ? Although the Highline is worth the price difference, I think the headlamp design is the only thing pushing me on the edge. Would it be that important after you have 'lived' with the car a few days?

Have a pleasant weekend !
Do you mind posting a few pics of the car? Both the exterior and the interior. Also, the Comfortline lacks the 'Bluetooth phone preparation'. Can you shed more light on this? I am assuming that this does not mean that the Comfortline lacks Bluetooth but perhaps the phone is not as well integrated with the ICE and the MID as the Highline.
Old 3rd November 2018, 22:19   #84
BHPian

As promised, here are some pictures of the Comfortline variant. I visited the showroom during the day so couldn't get a feel of the interior lighting.

The instrument cluster is black and white compared to the color one provided on the Highline variant.

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-cluster-1.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-cluster-2.jpg

The car seems to have the same head unit but note that the wood finish has a glossier texture. The one in the Highline definitely looks more upmarket but that might be my confirmation bias acting up to support the elevated price tag.

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-dash-1.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-dash-2.jpg

The car looses the parking camera and instead relies on the front and back sensors with guide lines.

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-dash-3.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-dash-4.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-dash-5.jpg

Note the ambient lighting zones highlighted in the headunit.

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-dash-6.jpg

Headlights: Apparently still LEDs but quite different in design. Resemble the one's on the Tiguan.

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-front-1.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-front-2.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-front-3.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-front-4.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-interior-1.jpg

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-interior-2.jpg

Headlamp washers conspicuous by their absence.

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-side-1.jpg

Different alloy wheel design.

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-side-2.jpg

The tail lights seem identical but i didn't get a chance to see them in action.

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-rear-1.jpg

I found the following videos where the car seems to have been configured nearly identically to the Comfortline variant being sold here. At the very least, it provides an overview of the headlamp design:

@AYP To answer your question regarding Bluetooth, i was also confused about this as, while the brochure mentions this feature to be present on both variants, the variant comparison provided on the online product page lists it as missing on the Comfortline.

What i can confirm is that i successfully connected my phone to test the audio quality and did not face any issues. I did not however check if the media information was displayed on the instrument cluster display. Since Bluetooth is present, i think it points to the feature being available in its entirety but its anyone's guess if we miss anything due to the black and white display in the instrument cluster. I highly doubt the dealers will be able to offer more clarity.

Let me know if you have any questions.
theMandarin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 17:56   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Your post arrived just in time before my visit to Volkswagen showroom on Saturday. And yes, I am in the same boat: Octavia TSI L&K vs Passat Comfortline.

- Prasad
I was wondering if you got a chance to compare the two cars. Would love to hear your take on the choice between the Octavia and the discounted Passat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
If possible, ask him/her for any VIN of the new Comfortline. Should answer a bunch of our questions is we run it through a decoder.
Can you please share any trusted site/service that you have used in the past ?

I was comparing the engine options available overseas and it seems that they have been selling an apparently 'obsolete' version of the engine. The engine is not listed in the 177PS/130KW state of tune in the European markets that i checked. This must be because of the revised norms to support the updated WLTP/Euro 6 standards and the engines must have been upgraded to use SCR/AdBlue or other supporting technologies. Not sure if that should have an impact on the engines being sold here and the purchase decision.

How difficult is it to proofread something before posting it online ?
Here we have a new advertisement posted as part of google search results that lists the car as having a 7 speed DSG.

Passat Connect Edition Advertisement

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-passat-connect-advertisement.png

Mods: I added the link just as a citation. Please remove it at your discretion of it is in violation. Thank you.

Last edited by theMandarin : 5th November 2018 at 18:08. Reason: Edited for typos.
theMandarin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 09:59   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering if you got a chance to compare the two cars. Would love to hear your take on the choice between the Octavia and the discounted Passat.
Sorry, could not follow through on this due to work pressures. I will try and collect whatever information I can. However, I will not be able to test-drive the car for the next three weeks due to travel.

Quote:
Can you please share any trusted site/service that you have used in the past ?
I have used https://www.vindecoder.net/ once in the past with good results. Note, that its a paid decoding.
Old 14th November 2018, 13:07   #87
BHPian

Hey folks! Needed a bit of help.

I am about to book the Passat, but was a little confused about the color to select. I am keen on silver (Pyrit Silver) since my previous Passat was silver (Reflex Silver) and I really liked that shade.

Does anyone have pictures of the B8 Passat in the current silver shade? The dealer doesn't have any cars in stock that I could see and I couldn't find any pictures of the India-spec silver online.

Would really appreciate it if you could upload it here. It would help me make my decision. Thank you!
Old 14th November 2018, 21:32   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
The TPMS tyre-sensors - are they internal or external?
Just caught up on this review and realized that this question went unanswered.

These are internal TPMS sensors. They are installed on the valves, but on the portion of the valve that goes inside the tyre. The sensors are completely inside the tyre. The outside part is just the valve caps, which are again just like any other valve caps.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 15:15   #89
BHPian

Just got my hands on the price list of the Passat.

The ex-showroom (Kolkata) is still shown as Rs. 32,99,000 for the Highline. There is no mention of the 'Highline Connect' variant separately.

Upon asking the sales executive, he said that the only difference between the regular Highline and the Highline Connect variant, is the dongle connected to the OBD for the mobile app functions (similar to Honda Connect).

The price reduction of Rs. 4,00,000 is available on Highline too. Will be booking the car tomorrow.
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 16:50   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post

The ex-showroom (Kolkata) is still shown as Rs. 32,99,000 for the Highline. There is no mention of the 'Highline Connect' variant separately.
Shouldn't the road tax and registration amount be commensurately lower if the ex-showroom price itself is lowered instead of a discount?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed