Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2018, 19:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driven: Volkswagen Passat

The DQ250 6 speed unit does duty on most 2.0 TDI FWD cars. It is not compatible with AWD variants of the cars below:
1) Passat TDI
2) Jetta TDI
3) Octavia TDI
4) Octavia RS (TSI Torque 350 nm)
5) Superb TDI

The torque limit is actually 400 NM so it shouldn't be a problem for the good wallop of torque thats churned out of these punchy diesels and the TSI in the Octavia. More so its a wet clutch unit, hence its safe to assume it'll not alter the performance in extreme heat, unlike the DQ200.

Now the DQ500 which has a torque limit for 600nm, and is the one variant that is compatible with AWD systems. Hence the applications to the below cars only on the basis of AWD systems installed, rather than higher torque, but that leaves plenty of room for remaps :

1) Tiguan
2) Kodiaq
3) Karoq (possibly only in the AWD variant)
4) Most Audi TDIs, since they use a lot of Quattro variants across the board, must be a cost saving measure having just one gearbox across the range.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 16:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Wow, after reading this review, the North American Passat feels so outdated and underspecd. The passat comes with a 1.8T non DSG. While the 1.8T is FTD and gives a crazy amazing FE (by american standards), diesel is not being sold by VW any more.

The interior is very "practical" but as you go up the line they throw in stuff, but even the fully spec'd out Passat doesn't look half as nice as the EU version.

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-2018-na-passat.jpg
Old 26th February 2018, 11:15   #48
BHPian

Received these pictures on WhatsApp of the Passat with cooled seats and a new ICE. Credit goes to the respective person who clicked these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-img20180215wa0002.jpg  

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-img20180215wa0003.jpg  

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-img20180215wa0004.jpg  

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-img20180215wa0005.jpg  

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-img20180215wa0006.jpg  

Aniruthan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 19:53   #49
BHPian

I just have one question! How you guys put the Grey Team-BHP sticker on the registration plate of every car that you review? Is it physical sticker actually placed on the plate or added using editing? Its hard to make out from the photo.
Old 21st March 2018, 20:10   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep.rana View Post
I just have one question! How you guys put the Grey Team-BHP sticker on the registration plate of every car that you review? Is it physical sticker actually placed on the plate or added using editing? Its hard to make out from the photo.
Its photoshopped!

I know it doesnt look like it, but it is indeed edited. Very cleanly executed. Even i had the same doubt at first.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 20:19   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Its photoshopped!

I know it doesnt look like it, but it is indeed edited. Very cleanly executed. Even i had the same doubt at first.
Really? I don't know? If it is photoshopped, it's really very clean as they match the color temperature and even angle of the sticker on photos that are clicked from a certain angle.
Old 22nd March 2018, 12:56   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4367330

Terrible sales numbers for the Passat. Currently, doing an average of ~50 compared to ~150 for the Superb. Matched only by the equally dismal Camry (now that the Hybrid is heavily taxed and the petrol has been discontinued).

The D2 segment is dead in the water with extra 'poaching' by the premium monocoque SUVs like the Tiguan and Kodiaq. No wonder VW is not interested in launching the TSI or the TDI in higher states of tune.

Look forward to seeing the new Honda Accord though.

EDIT: 2019 VW Passat (facelift) officially confirmed to debut this year
Just saw this article: https://indianautosblog.com/2018/03/...is-year-301394

Last edited by itwasntme : 22nd March 2018 at 13:08.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:04   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4367330

Terrible sales numbers for the Passat. Currently, doing an average of ~50 compared to ~150 for the Superb. Matched only by the equally dismal Camry (now that the Hybrid is heavily taxed and the petrol has been discontinued).
When I spoke to somone in VW, the response was that they had a shortage of kits. Best way is to walk into a showroom and ask about availability. Am not sure whether Skoda has taken all the capacity for the Kodiaq and Octavia. They own the factory
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 16:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruthan View Post
Received these pictures on WhatsApp of the Passat with cooled seats and a new ICE. Credit goes to the respective person who clicked these pictures.
Does anybody know what is the part number/code of the awesome looking new HU system on the Passat? Looks like it could be a straight fit into my Jetta.

I've been looking for mid life upgrades to my Jetta for a while now. As any Jetta owner would testify, the car doesn't need too many mechanical upgrades (especially after the remap) - but cosmetic ones are always welcome

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 29th March 2018 at 16:05.
Old 7th April 2018, 01:09   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Passat is powered by the familiar 2.0L TDI diesel engine mated to a 6-speed DSG automatic.

The Passat produces 175 BHP (@ 3,600-4,000 rpm) and a peak torque of 350 Nm (@ 1,500-3,500 rpm), which is the same state of tune that the Superb is available in. Internationally, the Passat is also available with a 2.0L TDI engine that produces 187 BHP and 400 Nm of torque. While it would have been nice to have the Passat in this state of tune, the engine we get isn't going to disappoint you. Volkswagen claims that it can do a 0-100 km/h sprint in less than 8 seconds! Icing on the cake - there's a nice thrum from the engine too. On the whole, the diesel is a competent all-rounder and returns decent fuel economy too (ARAI rating = 17.42 km/l).

The Passat is equipped with the 6-speed DQ250 DSG that features a wet clutch (Vs the notorious DQ200 dry clutch) and this is the same gearbox that does its duty in the Octavia, Superb and the new vRS. This transmission is capable of handling 400 Nm of torque.
Excellent review Ganesh! Thanks for sharing! Rated the thread 5 stars!

Adaptive cruse control, Adaptive head lights with auto high-beam and cooled driver seats would have been a killer package!! Am I greedy?

I had a few questions;

1. In your opinion, is the stock power completely satisfactory or will a Remap to 187BHP/400Nm be required? As you mentioned, the mechanicals can take it.

2. How is the ground clearance (say wrt Jetta)? Did the under body scrape anything during your test drive; particularly in the comfort mode? What does the number say?

3. Is there a remote control to the HU? Or does the HU have IR, so that it can be controlled through the Mobile by the rear seat passengers? OR is Android Auto / Apple car play the only way to control HU?

4. How is the Dynamic dampers built quality / life expectancy in your opinion? Can it be replaced by after market Bilstein if required?

5. Is the Auto-dimming ORVM only on the driver side?

6. Does the driver seat have 2 memory or 3? Third button looks like the one for the heater.

7. What is the approximate Key-fob operating range? Does it include an emergency manual key?

8. Any suggestions for 225/55/R17 Tyre upgrade options in the market?

9. Does the front windshield also come with a tinted glass? or at-least with UV protection and heat insulation?

10. Is the AC performance better than Jetta?

Sorry to bug you with so many questions. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 7th April 2018 at 01:16.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 11:56   #56
Team-BHP Support

Let me try and answer them

Quote:
1. In your opinion, is the stock power completely satisfactory or will a Remap to 187BHP/400Nm be required? As you mentioned, the mechanicals can take it.
For our current conditions, the stock power is more than enough. The remap you proposed will be merely incremental

Quote:
2. How is the ground clearance (say wrt Jetta)? Did the under body scrape anything during your test drive; particularly in the comfort mode? What does the number say?
With 5 on board, it scraped only on sharp speedbreakers. This is more by virtue of the long wheelbase

Quote:
3. Is there a remote control to the HU? Or does the HU have IR, so that it can be controlled through the Mobile by the rear seat passengers? OR is Android Auto / Apple car play the only way to control HU?
There is no remote control. You control by touchscreen, whichever mode.

Quote:
4. How is the Dynamic dampers built quality / life expectancy in your opinion? Can it be replaced by after market Bilstein if required?
Should be good for 60-70k in my opinion. IF you fit aftermarket Bilsteins am not sure if you will need to put up with DCC malfunction codes

Quote:
5. Is the Auto-dimming ORVM only on the driver side?
Am not sure, I am guessing the drivers side only

Quote:
6. Does the driver seat have 2 memory or 3? Third button looks like the one for the heater.
2 memory settings + seat ventilation

Quote:
7. What is the approximate Key-fob operating range? Does it include an emergency manual key?
I dont really know

Quote:
8. Any suggestions for 225/55/R17 Tyre upgrade options in the market?
Based on my Jetta, Continentals would suit this car

Quote:
9. Does the front windshield also come with a tinted glass? or at-least with UV protection and heat insulation?
It is tinted. No UV/heat insulation

Quote:
10. Is the AC performance better than Jetta?
Much better than the Jetta but not a patch on any Japanese car

Last edited by ajmat : 7th April 2018 at 13:48.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 12:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

I feel the Passat could do with a remap - 184hp/420-450nm. Pretty sure it can handle the additional torque. It should also bring it right up there with the more powerful C 220's and 320d's.

The suspension too should last the life of the vehicle in my opinion, unless any of the motors or actuators for the movement of struts for different modes fails, the suspension should be quite robust.

The Passat gets only 2 memory settings, the fourth button (first button being 'SET') is for the massage function. Passat has been already updated with cooled seats which are controllable directly near the AC controls.

The tyres are an odd size to upgrade. Only good option I could find that would fit the 17" rims is 235/50/17 that is if you get a good tyre in this size.

I also think both ORVMs are auto-dimming. Its always by default for all VAG cars isn't it? I'm yet to see VAG car with only one side auto-dimming mirror along with IRVM.

I think if you're considering buying the Passat as a replacement to the Jetta, you should wait for the facelift in 2019. It should get a few more goodies and initial issues if any should be sorted out.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 13:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

With 5 on board, it scraped only on sharp speedbreakers. This is more by virtue of th long wheelbase

It is tinted. No UV/heat insulation

Much better than the Jetta but not a patch on any Japanese car
Thanks a ton Ajmat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I feel the Passat could do with a remap - 184hp/420-450nm. Pretty sure it can handle the additional torque. It should also bring it right up there with the more powerful C 220's and 320d's.

The suspension too should last the life of the vehicle in my opinion, unless any of the motors or actuators for the movement of struts for different modes fails, the suspension should be quite robust.

The Passat gets only 2 memory settings, the fourth button (first button being 'SET') is for the massage function. Passat has been already updated with cooled seats which are controllable directly near the AC controls.

The tyres are an odd size to upgrade. Only good option I could find that would fit the 17" rims is 235/50/17 that is if you get a good tyre in this size.

I also think both ORVMs are auto-dimming. Its always by default for all VAG cars isn't it? I'm yet to see VAG car with only one side auto-dimming mirror along with IRVM.

I think if you're considering buying the Passat as a replacement to the Jetta, you should wait for the facelift in 2019. It should get a few more goodies and initial issues if any should be sorted out.
Thanks Adi. You read my mind!

As of now I am comfortable and happy with my remapped Jetta. Just that sometimes I feel that an Auto GB would be better. It will turn 5 years this September. I plan to change next year and your thoughts suits me perfectly. Maybe next year March / Sept/ Dec, when there are discounts on offer. I am eagerly waiting if VW gets the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control). That will be really usable.

I am comfortable with the Services at KPR Cars Mysore. I am happy with the maintenance expense of VW family vehicles too and don't think that I can afford the maintenance expenses of the big-3 German cars. And also, I don't require any further power upgrade. I am content!!

Passat is the logical changeover for me. Maybe, with Bilstein, Tyre upgrade and and a Remap down the line.
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2018, 13:58   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Chethan, I'm very happy to hear this plan! Also thinking on same lines for replacing my Octavia TSI. Please do post your thoughts as you move forward.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 09:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Passat is the logical changeover for me. Maybe, with Bilstein, Tyre upgrade and and a Remap down the line.

That makes two of us! When I was contemplating between an A4/320d/Passat, I was given an offer of 2 lakh discount on the Passat immediately at launch. So you can expect a good deal today as well. Of course next year the deals could be better or the face-lift could be launched with extras at the same price. All the best for your decision!
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks