Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2019, 19:20   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I am not really sure if he even checked! During next service I will try to dig into their systems and try to satisfy myself.
Santosh, as it's a fire risk why wait? Drop them an email (copied to BMW IN) with your VIN, and get them to revert formally.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 21:42   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! Surprised that your car is covered under the recall given that yours is a 20d and a more recent production car...

My advisor said that if it is covered they will reach out to me or something to that effect. I am not really sure if he even checked.
I had seen some articles shortly after the Korea sale ban that the recall was being expanded and 1.6 mm cars were being recalled. However, it seemed like this applied to cars made up to August 2016 while my car appeared as a September 2016 car. Running a decoder today, I realised my car’s kit was produced in June 2016 - so I guess it was among the last ones that was covered by the recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Santosh, as it's a fire risk why wait? Drop them an email (copied to BMW IN) with your VIN.
Would certainly do that. It seems from the above article that cars have been off the road for a while in Europe waiting for parts - perhaps BMW is less worried about liability here and hence has let us keep using our cars.

Last edited by Hayek : 8th April 2019 at 21:47.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 12:49   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Quick update.
Would advise all others with 20d engines to reach out to your dealer in case you have not been contacted as yet. I am surprised that they are not more proactive in solving a problem that has led to recalls around the world.
Thanks Hayek for the update and the information. I have a 320d with the B47 engine, and turns out my car is also listed under this recall.

Quote:
Wow! Surprised that your car is covered under the recall given that yours is a 20d and a more recent production car. I thought only the 30d engines under the N series were covered and upto 2015 production cars only.
My car (320d) is manufactured end of 2016, and it is still covered under this recall. So looks like the recall is quite wide.

Also, surprisingly, nobody contacted me proactively. When I went for some routine work (brake pad replacement), I insisted the SA check this in front of me, and when he checked this, the recall did show up for my car. They told me they will take care of this.

However, that day, they only did visual inspection of the EGR cooler, and told me everything is fine. They said they are awaiting some camera based probe for further complete inspection (they don't have this system in stock), and also for replacement parts (if required). I was a bit nervous about this, but they insisted they have visually examined everything and my car is fine. They assured me I can continue driving, and that if it was a serious risk, they would not have released the car back from service etc.

So now I am waiting for the complete tests and replacement. But in the meantime, I am continuing to use the car as per their suggestion. I am not sure if this the best thing to do (I do feel a bit nervous when I think about this fire issue), but I am not sure what else I can do apart from regular follow-up with the SA (which I am doing).
Dr.AD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 06:56   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Not so good news to report. In the 3.5 months since my last post, my car has had two unplanned visits to Infinity.

In mid June, just after I returned from my vacation, the Oil Service light came on. It gave me 2000 km to get the service done, and I thought I could wait till almost the end of the monsoon for the service.

A week later, on a Friday, as I was setting out from BKC for town, I got a warning that the TPMS had failed. Checked tire pressures and they were ok. While I was on my way, the AC started turning off on its own.

Sent the car to the Infinity Turbhe workshop the next day (Worli was as usual full). They told me they would get the Oil Service done first, and then test to identify the fault. What I liked was that they took a comprehensive video of the car when it came in - and pointed out what they would be doing.

The weekend intervened and it was Tuesday evening before they identified the fault - in some kind of electronic component. It was not in stock, and I was told they were checking to see if some other dealer in India had it - else, it might take a few weeks to solve.

Three days later, I heard that the part had been found, and that I would get my car back the following Tuesday. That Tuesday was a rain day - and hence I finally got the car back only on Thursday - almost 2 weeks after the initial fault.

Less than a week after the car was back, AC stopped cooling completely. Sent the car back to them, and was told the compressor had failed and would need replacement. After some escalations to seniors at Infinity, the car was back with the replacement done 3 days later. As an aside, the front brake pad service light had also come on (in the 6 days I had the car), and they were replaced too.

Hoping this is the end of my problems with the car. Starting to feel I am jinxed.

What I liked was how Infinity handled the situation. The service advisor himself provided a senior’s contact - and the senior concerned was very prompt and responsive in keeping me posted. Assuming the car works ok now, I would still be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. Just shows how the attitude of the service team can shape perceptions even when a car fails twice in 10 days.
Hayek is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:43   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Also, surprisingly, nobody contacted me proactively.
I should set this correct here. When I wrote that, I had gone to them even before they had rolled out the official recall. So my statement was not really fair to them.

Now they did proactively contact me a couple of weeks ago when they had the required replacement parts in stock. I got an official email from BMW informing me about the recall and the part replacement.

Quote:
However, that day, they only did visual inspection of the EGR cooler, and told me everything is fine. They said they are awaiting some camera based probe for further complete inspection (they don't have this system in stock), and also for replacement parts (if required). I was a bit nervous about this, but they insisted they have visually examined everything and my car is fine.
Now they got the replacement parts from Germany and they did replace my car's EGR cooler. Everything was handled very smoothly and professionally.

Quote:
Not so good news to report. In the 3.5 months since my last post, my car has had two unplanned visits to Infinity.
Sorry to hear about these troubles. Hope you have got it sorted out now.

Quote:
What I liked was how Infinity handled the situation. The service advisor himself provided a senior’s contact - and the senior concerned was very prompt and responsive in keeping me posted. Assuming the car works ok now, I would still be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. Just shows how the attitude of the service team can shape perceptions even when a car fails twice in 10 days.
I completely agree with you. So far I have had a great experience with BMW service in Bangalore. My other car is a Maruti, and the general impression is that Maruti offers the best customer care and service experience. Well, I am happy to report that my BMW service experience has exceeded that of even Maruti, and I would now say BMW has the best service experience out of any brand of car I have owned so far.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 2nd August 2019 at 15:01.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 07:06   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

The car is now approaching 23000 km at exactly 31 months. Drove down to Poona over the weekend. Was a real pleasure driving on the expressway. For the first time since early 2017 (when I had just bought the car), I drove in Sports Mode - the car feels much more free in sports mode - like a race horse which has been unshackled. It was good fun - but even the Expressway has too much traffic to really enjoy sports mode.

As an aside, roads were in good condition despite all the rain - the work they did on the flyovers between Vashi and Kalamboli has paid off with far fewer potholes than last year.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 08:49   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For the first time since early 2017 (when I had just bought the car), I drove in Sports Mode - the car feels much more free in sports mode - like a race horse which has been unshackled. It was good fun - but even the Expressway has too much traffic to really enjoy sports mode.
Since you have adaptive suspension, you can try configuring sports mode to alter just the chassis leaving the drive train unchecked. This will tighten the suspension and steering when you hit sports mode, leaving the engine and gearbox settings in comfort mode thereby giving you more control at the wheel. It also reduces the bobbing effect on the rear axle on smooth straight highways increasing comfort for occupants in the process by giving an even more flat ride.
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 01:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I drove in Sports Mode - the car feels much more free in sports mode - like a race horse which has been unshackled.
Put the gearbox in Sports Mode as well to complement the engine.

I learnt it on a highway drive wherein putting gearbox in Sports mode; made engine more responsive and much quicker acceleration.

Engine + Gearbox in Sports mode = Beast.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 16:59   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a second trip to Poona in just about a month. Drove down yesterday afternoon till the Sports Complex at Balewadi where my son was participating in an Inter School sports meet.

The journey out was quite normal - took 2 hours 45 minutes from my place to cover 145 km. On the way back, traffic in the Expressway was surprisingly smooth. Set the car to cruise at a comfortable 120 kph, and while I did have to use the brakes from time to time, the overall run was remarkable. Had averaged 86 kph when I reached the end of the Expressway (probably my fastest average speed ever that I have monitored), and despite traffic on some of the flyovers near Nerul, and then on the Vashi bridge, made it home to Central Bombay averaging 65 kph. Felt really good.

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km-d290a11987cf417fb94675b6ef77a0f6.jpeg

Apart from that, I have largely been crawling in the terrible traffic conditions of this very wet Bombay monsoon. I track fuel efficiency using Fuelly, and registered 2 or 3 of my lowest ever efficiency fuel ups this year. You should consider using Fuelly or some other similar app in case you don’t do so yet - gives a lot of data for a data freak.

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km-e20a67a9ea6649bd90b5da2123f9e021.png

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km-567a0777b2b5485683d370a9cbbd4a10.png

Will need to send the car one more time to BMW sometime next month for a Brake Fluid change which is due in October. Hope I have a smooth ride apart from that.
Hayek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 09:15   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed the Brake Fluid service that I talked about in the last post. The car was picked up by Infinity and dropped back a couple of days ago. Had to wait for 2 weeks to get the Pick up and Drop appointment, but was able to time it with some planned work related travel so that I was not out of pocket.

However, if you look at the photo below, the downside of BSI becomes obvious - three service appointments in 4 months and less than 3000 kms - first for the Oil Change, then for the Front Brake Pads and now for the Brake fluid. In the mean time, the count to the next oil change has dropped to 6000 km in just 3000 km of running - which means the next oil change will be due in 4-5 months. Am glad I took the BSI package - even if it costlier than paying for all of this as you go, it gives me peace of mind.

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km-c4b64ca046b94466be4e9577c15497e1.jpeg
Hayek is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 22:18   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

The BKC Connector (flyover from Chunabatti to BKC) opened today. And yes, traffic was low - perhaps because lots of folks did not know about it, and also because folks may have taken a day off given that tomorrow is a Public Holiday. But I must say it was a real pleasure to drive on. I know I am jinxing it - but it took just 24 minutes each way from home to office and back in peak hour. Getting to the U Turn under the Kurla flyover on Eastern Express Highway was a breeze - based on today’s experience, I don’t think reopening the Priyadarshini turn is essential. Suspect that more folks will learn about it soon - and Monday next week will be a more real reflection of traffic conditions. But till then, enjoy.

My X3 seemed overjoyed too - it achieved its best ever City mileage.

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km-f8944a5eafde4eae977dd567f8fc482e.jpeg

In other news, the car crossed 25,000 km last week - in just below 34 months. Not bad for me

Last edited by Hayek : 11th November 2019 at 22:21.
Hayek is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 15:09   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Two months on, I must say the BKC Connector is a real blessing. Yes, traffic has gradually built up - and you often have vehicles backed up both at the service road under the Chunabatti flyover, the exit from the Connector into BKC, and the approach to the Connector in the evenings. But my worst case time to office is down to 30 minutes vs 45 minutes to an hour before this bridge was built.

With the weather having cooled down, I am back to using Ecopro on my trips too and from work. And the combination of smooth traffic on the connector and Ecopro mode has led to some remarkably high fuel efficiency readings for my trips too and from work.

Admittedly, this was on New Years Day - but even then, it is remarkable for a 12 km urban trip in the early evening

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km-ac4a676cbb494cdcb77f2274d520dbaa.jpeg

The car has now crossed 26,500 km - and is about 3,500 km from the next service per the MID (though given my track record, I will need to send the car in under 2,000 more km). Missed treating the car to a long trip this winter - we went to Goa by air instead of driving down.

Have applied for a Fastag for the car - but HDFC Bank has been taking an inordinately long time to issue the same. Do hope to get it before the end of next week.

Last edited by Hayek : 11th January 2020 at 15:13.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 15:15   #43
Team-BHP Support

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP. Now 34 months/25,000 km

I live in Parel and I have wondered whether there is any merit in considering going via Wadala into bkc just to benefit from the connector. Specially going TO bkc as the EEH U turn does not come into picture for the way in.

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th January 2020 at 15:36.
Old 18th January 2020, 09:50   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Given the way how Road tax is calculated, savings on the On-Road prices get reduced due to such silly rules. I always wonder, what stops manufacturers to reduce MRP of the models which are discounted substantially? I don't think there will be any naive customers who will buy a car without checking different dealerships.

Manufacturers know that customers love discounts. So they jack up the price and then offer discounts. This way they still sell the car at the price they initially wanted to and the customer feels that they got a good deal. Both are happy.
Flipkart does the same. It's called anchoring bias. And is common across industries. Popcorn sizes in theatres and Apple phone variant prices are other examples where this bias is effectively taken advantage of.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 13:10   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

So my car completed 3 years and 27,000 km. And then it happened. Was heading for a run early on a Sunday morning. 6 of us piled into the car. And I realised the cooling of the AC was significantly below normal.

Called Infinity the next morning, and set up an appointment at their brand new Lalbaug workshop (a hop skip and jump from home). They took a couple of days to diagnose the car and confirm that there had been a leak in the condenser, and agreed to replace parts under BSI. However, they indicated the parts would be available only by Saturday evening.

I was scheduled to travel abroad on Monday — and hence called the car back, and sent it to them with my driver on the following Tuesday. It took them a couple of days to change the parts and get the job done. My driver was a little tied up, and hence I went to the workshop myself on the following Saturday to collect the car.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the workshop, it was probably the best service centre I have ever seen in India (I almost felt my shoes were not good enough for the place). The process of returning the car was smooth, and the AC seems fine so far. I am so glad I took the BSI

Some pics from the workshop are below:

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km-879f32037226453b85c3c20646c0e362.jpeg

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km-22ff10cbcca04a0181aeea3c94a0cd55.jpeg

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km-6c10ff479da34ef0a2f2eecdea4a9348.jpeg

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km-c9b46e369c7245ceb2438228d19855b7.jpeg

Yet another BMW X3 20d on Team-BHP | Now at 7 years & 58,500 km-a5bdd7943fba41beaa62902bd0d3dea4.jpeg

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th February 2020 at 15:00. Reason: 27
Hayek is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks