Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2018, 13:11   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Video: Tata Nexon (Diesel) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Likes;

- Value For Money
- High Ground Clearance is definitely one of the strong points
- Features, Music System are great for this segment
- Handling/Ride Quality balance at high speeds + the steering is well tuned.

Dislikes;

- Rear Looks (Too busy)
- Service is still a Gamble
- Gearshifts are precise but long & feel rubbery, also the Clutch felt too light for a Diesel

Video;

The popularity of Crossovers have risen like never before & in this video i find out why crossovers are more practical v/s conventional SUV's & then i review the Nexon on Engine Performance, Handling, Interiors etc

Video: Tata Nexon (Diesel) Review & SWOT Analysis!-screen-shot-20180218-1.01.08-pm.png

Finally i do a SWOT Analysis to help you in your buy decision;

Video: Tata Nexon (Diesel) Review & SWOT Analysis!-screen-shot-20180218-1.06.09-pm.png

Other Key Observations;

- The 1.5 Diesel is really refined & low on friction, suited for both spirited driving as well as relaxed cruising.
- This engine has been developed in-house by Tata motors with inputs from their global suppliers like Bosch, Mahle & Honeywell.
- The meat of the powerband is from 1500rpm-2750rpm but you can still stretch uptp 3900-50 rpm & change the gear for best performance, no point going upward in the quest of redlining it.
​- The user friendliness of an infotainment interface is judged by how fast you are able to connect your cell phone via bluetooth with the car & this was by far the easiest.​
- The driving modes (Eco, City, Sport) dont change while accelerating. You have to have your foot off the accelerator to change the modes, its definitely a glitch which Tata Motors should resolve (Demonstrated in the video @ 5:51 onwards)
- The AC should have a light on the button to show its ON, instead it shows the A/C ON sign on the screen.
- The handbrake should have been on the driver side & not on the passenger side, not that you would be performing handbrake turns but still ergonomically most of us would prefer on the driver side.
- Redline not marked on the speedometer.
karan561 is online now   (66) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 13:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Video: Tata Nexon (Diesel) Review & SWOT Analysis!

A very detailed and candid review as usual. Well done sir!

The Nexon carries the "new age Tata" theme forward quite well, however I won't say it is a quantum leap ahead like the Tiago or even the Hexa was. The Hexa broke new ground when it came to ride quality and proved that Tata could sell a 20 lakh car to an extent.

The Tiago proved that a B-Segment hatchback need not be bare bones or skimp on quality only because it is a hatch. Not to forget, the Harman Kardon Music system as well and the fact that it overtook a Maruti when it comes to sales.

The Nexon doesn't necessarily set a benchmark in any field here. The quality of the interiors is not "modern day Tata" although they look exceptional (Plenty of rough edges as pointed out by the official review). The styling might be a benchmark, but its a subjective topic and the rear end is a put off for numerous folks. The 1.5L diesel is more than adequate, but is it special? Nope. Same with the petrol motor.

Mind you, the Nexon is an excellent, well rounded product with a mouth watering price tag, but just that I expected Tata to be a bit more discreet and distinct like they were with the Tiago. The Nexon breaks new ground when it comes to design, but again, its all "subjective". It doesn't excel in any particular field. But that is a deal maker for many as is proved by the sales numbers.

On a side note, the nomenclature for the Nexon badge seems to have fallen off on what seems to be a brand new car. Not very good first impressions.

I have my hopes pinned on the Tata Q501 SUV. Seems to be a car worth putting money on if Tata prices it well.

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 18th February 2018 at 13:31.
vishy76 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 13:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
- Redline not marked on the speedometer.
There's no marked red line even in Hexa. But the needle changes shade to red which looks great than the markings!
abhi7013 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 14:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
A very detailed and candid review as usual. Well done sir!
Thanks for your appreciation

Quote:
The Nexon carries the "new age Tata" theme forward quite well, however I won't say it is a quantum leap ahead like the Tiago or even the Hexa was. The Hexa broke new ground when it came to ride quality and proved that Tata could sell a 20 lakh car to an extent.

The Tiago proved that a B-Segment hatchback need not be bare bones or skimp on quality only because it is a hatch. Not to forget, the Harman Kardon Music system as well and the fact that it overtook a Maruti when it comes to sales
Well said Vishy !

Quote:
I have my hopes pinned on the Tata Q501 SUV.
^ That surely seems to be a promising product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
There's no marked red line even in Hexa. But the needle changes shade to red which looks great than the markings!
I know that & have mentioned it in the video too (@12:22 onwards). But a conventional redline marking is needed in a tachometer, irrespective of the party trick needle glowing red
karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 20:14   #5
BHPian

Very detailed and honest review Karan. Your presentation skills are excellent and the editing of the video seems professional.

How would you compare the refinement and power delivery of this 1.5 with the Ford 1.5 tdci?
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 21:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Very detailed and honest review Karan. Your presentation skills are excellent and the editing of the video seems professional.
Thanks for your motivating comments

Quote:
How would you compare the refinement and power delivery of this 1.5 with the Ford 1.5 tdci?
Great Question, the refinement is definitely at par (or better, may be an extra gear in the Nexon makes things smooth for this engine). Power delivery of my Figo's 1.5 TDCi is better, because Figo is much lighter. I havent driven the new TDCi Ecosport yet, but on paper the Nexon again looks stronger.
karan561 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 21:44   #7
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this brilliant review, I would say much better than most of the video reviews on Youtube. The Nexon seems to be a great product & TATA motors as a whole is on the correct path & its nice to see cars being launched with powerful engines (specially the diesel in case of Nexon). I believe you own the old Ecosport Petrol Automatic, how is ride quality & handling of the Nexon w.r.t the Ecosport? Ecosport itself has a stiff low speed ride quality. How does the clutch of the Nexon diesel compare with that of the Ford's 1.5 D clutch? I personally find our Ecosport's clutch to be slightly on the heavier side (our erstwhile Punto MJD had a noticeably lighter clutch) & a bit springy in action.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 18th February 2018 at 21:52.
chiranjitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 23:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Great work there. Kudos

But competition from Maruti's future S? I kinda doubt That. Isn't future S supposed to be stacked at a much lower priceband competing the Kwid/KUV ? No offense meant just a doubt

I believe the Nexon is right up there competing with the Brezza.

Last edited by SoumenD : 18th February 2018 at 23:52.
SoumenD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 01:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nexon looks a lot better in person, the car is properly wide. For me it looks a lot better than Ecosport. Front view is proper a cross over, look, from the back it looks like a hatchback.

Anyway, excellent review. How do you record the voice for the video? Do you use any professional equipment? The sound profile wasn't consistent, just a constructive criticism.

for the video, excellent as always.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 08:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The popularity of Crossovers have risen like never before & in this video i find out why crossovers are more practical v/s conventional SUV's & then i review the Nexon on Engine Performance, Handling, Interiors etc
Fantastic review Karan, quite an honest effort, rated 5 stars . Its a coincidence you resemble very closely to one of my office colleagues and his name is Karan as well

If possible could you please review just the engine in a separate video? Asking it because this is the first time that TML has introduced a home grown diesel engine. Although you mentioned that this is the most refined engine from Tata stable, bit of turbo lag, sweet spot 1.8K to 4K rpm etc, could you please elaborate on the below points:
  1. What is the speed in each gear at 2K rpm?
  2. What is the engine rpm at 100 kmph?
  3. How does it feel to drive in the ghats, when fully loaded? Does the engine pull effortlessly?
  4. What is the engine oil quantity & whether it is mineral of synthetic?
  5. In city driving do we need to constantly keep shifting gears to keep the engine in power/max torque band?
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 12:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Video: Tata Nexon (Diesel) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Thanks for sharing this brilliant review, I would say much better than most of the video reviews on Youtube.
Thanks for your special & inspiring compliments

Quote:
I believe you own the old Ecosport Petrol Automatic, how is ride quality & handling of the Nexon w.r.t the Ecosport? Ecosport itself has a stiff low speed ride quality.
Yes, Ride Quality is very similar at low speeds both the cars. Nexon may be better at absorbing bumps thanks to its meatier tyres.

Quote:
How does the clutch of the Nexon diesel compare with that of the Ford's 1.5 D clutch?
I did not like the clutch of the Diesel Nexon as it felt too light for a diesel, definitely the Ford 1.5D clutch has better feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Great work there. Kudos
Thanks !

Quote:
But competition from Maruti's future S? I kinda doubt That. Isn't future S supposed to be stacked at a much lower priceband competing the Kwid/KUV ? No offense meant just a doubt
Nexon is already undercutting the Brezza & the Future S is going to be slotted under the Brezza so somehow will affect the target audience of the Nexon.

Quote:
I believe the Nexon is right up there competing with the Brezza
^ True

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Anyway, excellent review. How do you record the voice for the video? Do you use any professional equipment? The sound profile wasn't consistent, just a constructive criticism.
for the video, excellent as always.
Hi nandu, thanks. I do use a lapel mic (RODE) but at one point i lost the wind filter (during conclusion) hence sorry for that inconsistency of sound profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Fantastic review Karan, quite an honest effort, rated 5 stars . Its a coincidence you resemble very closely to one of my office colleagues and his name is Karan as well
Thanks AutoIndian for the appreciation & the 5* rating. Also glad to know your co-incidence.
Quote:
Could you please elaborate on the below points:
  1. What is the speed in each gear at 2K rpm?
  2. What is the engine rpm at 100 kmph?
  3. How does it feel to drive in the ghats, when fully loaded? Does the engine pull effortlessly?
  4. What is the engine oil quantity & whether it is mineral of synthetic?
  5. In city driving do we need to constantly keep shifting gears to keep the engine in power/max torque band?
I believe some Nexon owners may be able to answer your question no. 1, 3 & 4.

2 - The engine RPM @ 100km/h is just under 2000rpm (when in 6th gear)
5 - No, not at all required to constantly keep changing gears as again credit goes to 6 gears.
Old 19th February 2018, 15:24   #12
Team-BHP Support

Watched the video yesterday – very well done indeed. Rated 5 stars!
Good to see Tata reinventing themselves with the likes of the Nexon and the Hexa. And as you mentioned in the review, that diesel engine would be something they should be really proud of (instead of fitting the same old 1.3MJD).

If to nitpick – a bit more on the safety aspects of the Nexon would have been ideal
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 15:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review Karan. You seem to be getting pro with every passing video review.

Although I haven't driven the Nexon (Unfortunately none of my friends own one as yet) but looking at the stance with a high GC I get a feeling there should be body roll. Did you experience any? With the X at the back what exactly is the X factor of this car?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2018, 23:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Watched the video yesterday – very well done indeed. Rated 5 stars!
Thanks for the rating VB

Quote:
If to nitpick – a bit more on the safety aspects of the Nexon would have been ideal
^ True, but a positive is that Airbags (2) & ABS are standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Fantastic review Karan. You seem to be getting pro with every passing video review.
Thanks ghodlur for your kind words

Quote:
Although I haven't driven the Nexon (Unfortunately none of my friends own one as yet) but looking at the stance with a high GC I get a feeling there should be body roll. Did you experience any?
Body roll is predictably controllable for a crossover, I think the wide tyres play a good part here (215/60 R16) to keep the body roll in check. BUT the lower variants interestingly have narrower 195/60 R16, i haven't driven the base variant so it should be an interesting comparison.

Quote:
With the X at the back what exactly is the X factor of this car?
X Factor for me of this car is definitely this new Diesel engine.

Last edited by karan561 : 19th February 2018 at 23:12.
Old 19th February 2018, 23:35   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review and analysis, Karan. Rating it a well-deserved 5-stars!

However...

Quote:
- This engine has been developed in-house by Tata motors with inputs from their global suppliers like Bosch, Mahle & Honeywell.
Slight correction here - most of the development work which went into this all-new 1.5L oil burner was conducted by Delphi TVS (FI system and fuel filters, calibrated in-house) and AVL Austria (engine simulations).

Bosch had almost no involvement in the development of the 1.5L Revotorq diesel, except for supplying 2-3 sensors related to air mass flow & boost pressure. Neither was Mahle, except maybe contributing the air filters. Honeywell acted as tuning support for the turbocharger mappings, so they had a larger role to play as compared to the other two above (Bosch & Mahle).

A request to edit the above line accordingly.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th February 2018 at 23:47. Reason: added request.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks