Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2018, 04:18   #46
BHPian

re: My pre-owned Skoda Yeti. EDIT: Petes. Now K&N

The Yeti has always been an underrated car. My dad and me absolutely love the car. In fact if it had a diesel DSG combo then a yeti would be standing in our garage. It is a brilliant and complete package.
RoadGlide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 14:03   #47
M35
BHPian

Another DIY job. Took some good 4 hours for the job. Got this from China, a custom made Yeti specific steering wheel leather wrap. Came with nylon thread + needle +3M tape. Final out put, quite satisfactory and the feel + grip, both are top-notch now.

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-dsc_1110.jpg

Last edited by M35 : 4th May 2018 at 14:07.
M35 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 14:52   #48
M35
BHPian

ODO: 66500
  • Post service, the vehicle has become smoother and the engine noise is hardly heard inside now. I had even pushed it once to 140 kmph on a 4-lane empty stretch and the refinement is top-notch now. Yeti was still eager to sprint further, but then one needs to respect Kerala roads. Had done a DIY dampening for the entire car against wind/engine noise. This Yeti specific pack was purchased while in China, which comprised of sealing strips of various size/shapes that came with 3M tapes. The new Conti shoes have taken care of the tyre noise and it is minimum now.
  • The new brake pads + Discs meant excellent confidence while braking and all that shuddering is no more now
  • The wider tyres + Yeti's inbuilt high speed stability and handling meant awesome driving experience. Had taken it along the Shornur-Thrissur stretch with rough surface all along and the Yeti dismissed all those ugly patch works and little pot-holes with utter arrogance. No 'thuds' and bouncing whatsoever = no slowing down at all.
  • FE = surprisingly, didn't notice any change at all, post service
  • Having said that, the initial lag is still an irritant, one needs to keep shifting gears for the right momentum, not a big deal though.

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-dsc_11302.jpg

Last edited by M35 : 5th May 2018 at 14:55.
M35 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 11:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
That is quite some serious money. The Skoda service/repair calculator quotes only Rs.19995 for Clutch Plate + Pressure Plate. .
Does not seem to include the flywheel, release bearing (hydraulic), etc from what I can see.

Skoda service calculator quotes are nice to look at. Ask for a quote from the dealership for a clutch replacement - I was quoted 75k by the crooks @ Marikkar, didn't have the time, inclination or energy to debate this so I took it to my friend's garage.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 11:52   #50
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Skoda service calculator quotes are nice to look at. Ask for a quote from the dealership for a clutch replacement - I was quoted 75k by the crooks @ Marikkar, didn't have the time, inclination or energy to debate this so I took it to my friend's garage.
Interestingly, both the 60k service and brake pads+discs costs are in line with the Skoda service cost calculator on their website. The experience with Pinnacle Skoda too has been great, at par with some of my best ASC experiences in the past (Mahindra & Ford).

One thing is clear – the unavailability of parts. Expect a minimum of 5-7 days for the clutch related work. The clutch components need to be taken out to check the part number before placing an order, as per them. No sign of any issues now and the vehicle is running great, hence didn’t ask for any estimate.

Meanwhile, I was looking at getting those Xenon Projector headlight assembly. They appear to be quite costly.
Old 3rd June 2018, 21:16   #51

I’m completely sucked in by its marvellous dynamics in 3 years and 44,000 kms. Great buy. Enjoy your miles in this mini brute. Drive safe.
Karthik Raman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 20:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interestingly, both the 60k service and brake pads+discs costs are in line with the Skoda service cost calculator on their website.
Cross-referencing a post elsewhere. I will be posting your original costing for clutch replacement there too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I had my clutch changed at 1.2l kms. Costed me around 95k. Was done at Skoda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
My Laura underwent the same operation a few months back and the bill came to around 1.05 lacs for the clutch and flywheel assembly - parts and labor. I believe that the Yeti should also cost around the same.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 19:16   #53
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Cross-referencing a post elsewhere. I will be posting your original costing for clutch replacement there too:
Those figures definitely are a put off. Quite an expensive affair I must say.

Interestingly, here in China/Hong Kong, I can get the genuine LUK clutch kit for some Rs.6-7k equivalent. That includes clutch plate + pressure plate + release bearing + some LUK grease. The flywheel is not included in the kit. Does it always have to be replaced during the clutch overhaul ? The issue procuring from here is that, the one for 2.0L TDI CR (India Yeti) is not available here. The Yeti here are 1.4L TSI and then the 1.8 DSG.

As per the Skoda India service cost calculator, the set (excluding the Flywheel) costs around Rs.32k (indicative price).

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-screen-shot-20180610-9.43.16-pm.png
Old 10th June 2018, 20:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've just shared personal experiences of other people, after I received a similarly astronomical quote verbally.

If you do get yours done at 32 - 35k when its time to do so, do let us all know.
Old 12th June 2018, 17:08   #55
M35
BHPian

Quote:
If you do get yours done at 32 - 35k when its time to do so, do let us all know.
Sure I will if mine gets smoked. That Rs.32k is without the flywheel. I assume flywheel doesn’t come any cheap.

On a different note, I will be flying back home tomorrow for a 2 month vacation. Will have some 100 km early morning drive, day after tomorrow, to start off with. Looking forward to driving this mini-brute around in Kerala monsoon. There are a few mods/works planned, the important ones being,
  • Installation of SWF wiper blades -both front and rear
  • MBQ powered sub-woofer (spare wheel) need an installment. With all metal body, this thing is heavy weighing around 8.0kg.
M35 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 22:29   #56
M35
BHPian

This mini-brute is a keeper for sure. Got the following installed:
  • MBQ powered/active Sub-Woofer inside the spare wheel. Took some 3 hours for the entire process. There were no RCA out on the stock Skoda HU; had to slice up the speaker lines. The effect is just mind blowing = clear, crisp and tight bass. It complements, with its superb low/mid, the already very good Skoda OE set up. My neighbourhood car accessory shop guys were shocked to experience the output. Pictures in a couple of days.
  • Philips H4 Ultinon LED 6000K P-43t : Got it installed yesterday. The built is better than those Chinese/local brands. The focus seems fine for the low, haven’t tested thoroughly though. The initial impression is that there is no significant improvement in the visibility. There is some initial flickering/strobing as the car is turned on/off, which I think is normal. Views on this from the experts are welcome. This one is supposed to come with 'safe-beam' technology which is supposed to reduce glare and specifically designed to be used with normal reflectors. I will be able to update on the experience tomorrow as I will be driving up to Munnar area early morning.

Last edited by M35 : 20th June 2018 at 22:31.
M35 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 15:47   #57
M35
BHPian

Driving along these Kerala roads in Monsoon is to be experienced indeed. Seeing Yeti covered in dirt isn’t a bad feeling either. It was just a couple of days back I had given it a though DIY detailing including waxing/polishing
My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-dsc_2039.jpg

Quote:
Philips H4 Ultinon LED 6000K P-43t : I will be able to update on the experience tomorrow as I will be driving up to Munnar area early morning.
Just did a 250 km drive in Kerala rains on 2/4-lane and twisty hill roads (towards Munnar). The low beam is just fine with the OE fogs. Did not use the High much. But the LED set up is worth a buy, IMHO, just for the instant flashing like those on the higher end luxury cars. It's so powerful, like lightning, that the entire traffic around you gives you the way as soon as you strike it a couple of times = minimum use of your brakes. Simply amazing
For the low beam, the beam pattern and quality is as good as the OE halogen. I guess this Philips comes equipped with some sort of plate for the right/effective focus for the Low. Also that it can NOT be used with projectors = specifically designed for the regular reflector types.

BTW, a picture from my home near Munnar with the DRLS on. Unable to source a pair of whitish lights/bulbs instead of this yellow.

My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-dsc_2032.jpg

Last edited by M35 : 21st June 2018 at 15:52.
M35 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 16:03   #58
M35
BHPian

A three hour DIY job. The wheels look meatier now
Shall come back here with the details once fully finished.
My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-dsc_2087.jpg
M35 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 23:25   #59
M35
BHPian

Pete's perfomance remap:
Yeti got Pete’s remapped today. Drove back home to Palakkad from Kochi after the remap.
Now surplus power at any spot. No need to keep downshifting, No more fear of stalling. No dead spot and no lags. You can do those quick overtaking manoeuvres even while being at 5th gear. Downshift to 4th or 3rd and then press the pedal a bit, the car just takes off. With the new brake discs + pads bedded in and also with the wider Conti shoes, it was just an exhilarating experience behind the wheel this afternoon.
The FE looks to be down by around 1 km/L which I think is fine considering the performance advantage the remap has brought in. The acceleration is just brutal
M35 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 20:12   #60
M35
BHPian

Added another 500 km post Pete's remap. I was with an impression that an engine remap would make it more loud and harsh sounding.
  • Engine sounds more refined now; very close to that of my m-hawk at low RPMs and almost no sound as the speed gets picked up. While doing those short solo (lazy) drives, I have started to roll down the front window glasses just to enjoy the engine note/grunt.
  • The acceleration ( in all gears ) is more linear
  • Power at your disposal from 1000 RPM onwards
My pre-owned Skoda Yeti | EDIT: Remapped by Wolf Moto & now Stage 3-dsc_21002.jpg
M35 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed