Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2020, 09:39   #226

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix View Post
Thats when you may need it the most. I took a 6 year /120k BRI for my X5 and got a lot of mechanicals replaced in the 6th year. The dealership also went out of the way and did some good will replacements prior to expiry of the warranty.

Thanks for a great thread here. I am in the market for the 330i GT Shadow Edition and got a lot of questions answered
@asterix I'm also in the market for the 330i GT Shadow Edition here in Mumbai. Did you get any good quotes from the dealer? Would like to exchange notes! i.milapsan@gmail.com
Old 13th September 2020, 20:25   #227

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Hi graaja, thanks for all the info you have been putting in here. You have no idea how much you have taught me and influenced my car purchase decision. I am planning on posting my Initial Ownership review soon.

I do have a doubt here. Won't the alloy and tire changes be considered modifications which need to be informed to the insurance provider? I was planning on upgrading the amp and some other minor things and then started coming across various old and new threads regarding denial of insurance disbursal stating modifications.
From what I have read, legally tire and other minor modifications within limits are still ok, even considering the recent SC judgement of Jan 2019. But the insurance seems like a different story altogether. I have read various blogs including https://www.policybazaar.com/motor-i...car-insurance/ which is stating insane hikes in premium for even the smallest modifications.

So I basically have 2 questions.
1. Did the insurance provider state anything during renewal (I am guessing since you changed the provider they did re-inspect the vehicle)
2. Does getting the modifications from BMW itself help with this (like the M-Sport suspension upgrade you got)

Also, (sorry for the silly one I am about to ask) does anyone know of a mod friendly Insurance provider or someone with a mod add-on package.
nadeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 07:15   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
Hi graaja, thanks for all the info you have been putting in here. You have no idea how much you have taught me and influenced my car purchase decision. I am planning on posting my Initial Ownership review soon.

I do have a doubt here. Won't the alloy and tire changes be considered modifications which need to be informed to the insurance provider? I was planning on upgrading the amp and some other minor things and then started coming across various old and new threads regarding denial of insurance disbursal stating modifications.
Thank you for the kind words

Thank you for bringing up the topic on insurance. I think we have to add the alloy wheels as accessories and pay extra premium. When I had installed the M-Sport suspensions, I had added these as accessories in the insurance. But when I renewed, missed it. I will check with the dealer about updating the insurance.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 13:23   #229
Team-BHP Support

CarPlay activation (and ABS Error):

I had been following up with BMW since a year back to get CarPlay activiated in the GT. But for a very long time, BMW was not willing to enable CarPlay in cars manufactured before November 2017 (mine is September 2017). Then a few months back I saw some TBHP members getting CarPlay activated officially in this thread (Enabled! Apple CarPlay in my BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Dealers now offering the upgrade). During the last oil service, I had asked the service manager to check about CarPlay activation. He checked with BMW and told me that it is now possible to activate CarPlay. I paid an advance of 10K. The service manager told me that they will need the car for a day for BMW to generate some code and after a week or so they will need the car again for a couple of days to get it activated. He also told me that this is what the BMW engineers are asking for, but he will try to get everyting done in one visit. In a couple of weeks he called and told that they are ready to get it done. As I was busy with end of quarter work, he promised me he will send someone to pick the car, get the activation done and deliver the car. We decided to get this done over a weekend.

Meahwhile, just a couple of days before sending the car for CarPlay activation, when I started the car, saw the following message on iDrive.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-abs-error-1.jpg

There wsa this error on the instrument cluster with the ABS and traction control icons lighting up.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-abs-error-2.jpg

I immediately called the service manager and he told me to drive slow and reach home and he will fix this during the CarPlay activation. He said this could be due to a problem with the wheel speed sensor. As I was driving, the error suddenly went away and I was able to drive back home.

As planned, the service manager sent a drive to pick the car on a Friday evening. On Saturday he told me that the ABS error was due to a faulty wheel speed sensor which will be replaced under warranty. They completed the CarPlay activation and the wheel speed sensor replacement and sent the car back on Monday.

I paid 40.6K for CarPlay activation. I did not have to pay anything for the wheel speed sensor replacement as it was covered under BRI (I signed the warranty invoice which was about 12K).

Now coming to OEM CarPlay activation vs aftermarket solutions:

What I like:
OEM installation. No worries about warranty
Everytime I take the car for service, no need to ask them to not install any software updates that may break the aftermarket installation
Wireless CarPlay
Responsive and smooth performance of the iDrive
Siri integration by long pressing the voice control button on steering wheel

What I don't like: (there is just one)
CarPlay does not show on full screen. It covers only about 2/3rd of the screen. Third party installers provide full screen CarPlay. No idea why BMW does not enable this feature.

A few pictures of CarPlay in action.

The home screen.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-home-screen-1.jpg

Music
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-music.jpg

Phone contacts
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-phone-book.jpg

Google maps navigation
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-gogle-maps.jpg

Google maps with satellite view
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-google-maps-satellite-view.jpg

Map settings:
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-map-settings.jpg

Overall Workshop Experience:

Extremely satisfied with the responsiveness and support received from the dealership, especially the service manager Mr. Karthik who made sure that everything was completed without any delay. Rating a 5 star. It was a pleasant surprise when he arranged to pick up and drop the car when I was not able to. Looking forward to this good relationship and dealership experience to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Could you share the invoice for CarPlay activation? That would make it easier to explain SA what exactly needs to be done & charges for it.
Attaching the invoice copies for reference. Received one invoice for the CarPlay code generation which is done by BMW and the other for labor for coding which is done by the dealer. The antenna is yet to be installed. This has been added as a note. Antenna would cost INR 4600. Will get it installed during my next visit to the showroom. For now, keeping the phone near the cup holder area for good connectivity.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-carplay-invoice-1-2.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-carplay-invoice-2-2.jpg

PS: Apologies for the delay in posting this. Due to lots of travel, could not manage to do this.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th October 2020 at 19:26. Reason: Merged as requested
graaja is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 13:30   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on getting the maps working.

My car came with CarPlay support but I am not an Apple guy. Tried with a friend's iPhone and was disappointed with the UI - map does not use the full screen. Also, the map did not show up on HUD. Shame on BMW.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 13:37   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Congratulations on getting the maps working.

My car came with CarPlay support but I am not an Apple guy. Tried with a friend's iPhone and was disappointed with the UI - map does not use the full screen. Also, the map did not show up on HUD. Shame on BMW.
Yes. The lack of full screen CarPlay is a big disadvantage. Also, even I was initially disappointed with maps not integrating with the HUD, but then I realized this is not going to happen due the difficulty in interfacing the CarPlay and the HUD. It would have been awesome if maps was integrated into the HUD.

Still the biggest advantage for me is to have navigation on the iDrive and not having to mount the phone on the dash or windshield or AC vents and running the charger cable from the 12V socket to the phone.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 16:22   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Yes. The lack of full screen CarPlay is a big disadvantage. Also, even I was initially disappointed with maps not integrating with the HUD, but then I realized this is not going to happen due the difficulty in interfacing the CarPlay and the HUD. It would have been awesome if maps was integrated into the HUD.
Congrats @graaja on the activation. Now I need to inform all my friends who were waiting for this. Even when I was buying my car, I did not consider/rejected a 530i sport line (2nd hand) just for the lack for carplay and google maps. For me personally it's a definite must.

Though I have to say, the full screen carplay, as nice as it would be to have (aesthetically), will actually not add any functional advantage. Since increase in width might not provide all that much more information. What I have noticed in my 3GT is that the height might feel a little low, since its more beneficial to see whats ahead in our route. Zooming out a little does help, but then that's a little bit of a compromise. I guess all of this is because of us being used to using our mobiles for navigation which are usually placed in portrait mode.
nadeem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 19:50   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CarPlay activation

I had been following up with BMW since a year back to get CarPlay activiated in the GT.
Can the CarPlay be activated on BMW X1 20d Expedition Feb 2018 assembled (Nov 2017 CKD) model?

Could you share the invoice for CarPlay activation? That would make it easier to explain SA what exactly needs to be done & charges for it.

Thanks.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 23:34   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can the CarPlay be activated on BMW X1 20d Expedition Feb 2018 assembled (Nov 2017 CKD) model?

If your X1 comes with NBT Evo ID6 version of iDrive, then it is possible to enable CarPlay. Check with your dealer. They will be able to confirm with your car's VIN.

I will share the invoice copy on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadeem View Post
Congrats @graaja on the activation. Now I need to inform all my friends who were waiting for this...

Though I have to say, the full screen carplay, as nice as it would be to have (aesthetically), will actually not add any functional advantage...
Thank you. I agree with you about full screen CarPlay. Though it was looking as an irritant and deal breaker, now that I have started to use Google maps in the 2/3 screen, I don't find it to be a big disadvantage at all. The readability is quite good and in fact the extra information in the split screen (like trip meter, media information etc) is quite helpful.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd October 2020 at 04:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 17:50   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attaching the invoice copies for reference. Received one invoice for the CarPlay code generation which is done by BMW and the other for labor for coding which is done by the dealer. The antenna is yet to be installed. This has been added as a note. Antenna would cost INR 4600. Will get it installed during my next visit to the showroom. For now, keeping the phone near the cup holder area for good connectivity.
Thanks for sharing. X1 oil service is due in Nov'20. Will trouble SA to see can CarPlay be activated.

X1 Expedition comes with Non-Touch iDrive screen. So I doubt it will be possible.

Can you control CarPlay from scroll wheel near the gearbox?
Old 10th October 2020, 18:47   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
X1 Expedition comes with Non-Touch iDrive screen. So I doubt it will be possible.

Can you control CarPlay from scroll wheel near the gearbox?
Oh. CarPlay will not be possible with non-touch iDrive. Though CarPlay can still be controlled by the scroll wheel, it needs the hardware present in the iDrive with touch. But do check and confirm with the SA.
Old 11th October 2020, 17:20   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though CarPlay can still be controlled by the scroll wheel, it needs the hardware present in the iDrive with touch. But do check and confirm with the SA.
So there is still hope. Will check with SA and let you know.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 09:58   #238
BHPian

Congratulations on your activation. Must've been real nice to have it.

On the other hand, Apple CarPlay was announced somewhere in 2013 and launched in 2014. I remember very vividly seeing BMW in the list of manufacturers that were supposed to get carplay at launch. And even in 2018, a GT shipped without carplay. Apple and BMW have a good relationship, they get their features first.

For example, the new feature from apple called "Car Keys" is introduced on BMW only.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-capture.png
NO other manufacturer supports CAR KEYS, NO one. Yet this is the kind of service they provide,
The least of all that they could do was to offer it free of cost or for a few hundred rupees for labour. REAL CHEAP.

The key icon means car keys feature,
scroll through the page and see that no one else has it. only bmw.
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-sdf.png

related thread by GTO https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...e-carplay.html (Cheap-thinking BMW wants to charge owners an annual fee for Apple CarPlay)

I could buy a NEW HEAD UNIT with CarPlay AND Android Auto!!! FOR 40k

Last edited by viXit : 12th October 2020 at 10:00. Reason: Added related link
viXit is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 12:52   #239
GTB
BHPian

Congratulations for CarPlay activation and thank you for the information.

Did you go for CarPlay mainly for Google maps? if yes, BMW's navigation is not good in India?

Thanks
GTB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 15:51   #240
BHPian

Quote:
I paid 40.6K for CarPlay activation.
The pricing (33803INR as per the invoice) seems a little bit on the expensive side for a release code (FSC - Freischaltcode). I am not sure if it classified as a CKD part or something, to add import/customs duty which might justify the increase in price. In the Netherlands, FSC costs about 325EUR ~ 28000INR (incl. 21.% VAT). A bit unfair pricing in this day and age where software products and subscriptions are priced a bit lesser in India than in Europe or USA.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-screenshot-20201012-121638.png

Last edited by carthick1000 : 12th October 2020 at 15:57.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed