Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2018, 20:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Kaliya - My pre-owned 1st gen Toyota Fortuner

Congrats varunraizada on your pre-loved Fortuner. A nicely written and very detailed review of your car. Wish you a lot of miles in this beauty and wonderful offroad experiences. Pls do keep us updated here.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 22:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Threads like these confuse a used car buyer like me even more Have absolutely no clue which car I want to buy now. Thinking between CRV, facelift Civic, corolla, Duster AwD, new freestyle and now the fortuner. The 10 lakh category is really confusing.
All these cars are good however go for X trail T31 if you can. You will thank me later!
Get a used one at a decent price, spend a lac (maybe) sprucing it up and get set for next 10 years. This car can't be beat at the price it sells for in used car market.

Edit: Congrats Varun for your fortuner. Great car.

Last edited by ashish.uno : 20th May 2018 at 22:21.
ashish.uno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 23:24   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
First of all, Congratulations on getting this Monster !!!

Must say that, this is one of the most honest and unbiased review.

I currently own a Duster ( New Duster, Diesel/Manual, 2016 model ).

AWD is optional for me.

Manual is my preference compare to Automatic.

I plan to pick 2nd generation Fortuner
Thanks for your kind words and the rating .

Well a 2016 Duster you want to replace with a Fortuner 2WD Manual? My honest opinion is it doesn't make sense . The ride quality of the duster is one or best around and if your usage does not call for a more capable car, the Duster will do just perfect !

Quote:

1. How is the clutch in Fortuner compare to Duster? Is it really hard? I heard from many people that, Fortuner has very very hard clutch it's almost like driving a truck. Please let me know your experience. I am very specific on this since I would pick a Manual over Automatic.

2. You said, vehicle was checked by Toyota and they gave a detailed report on the conditions of the car. How much do they charge for this? Is it available only with Toyota OR other manufactures also offer this service? Ex: Ford for Endevour?

3. How is the overall Driving dynamics of Fortuner? How would you compare that with Duster? Specially driving in traffic hell like Bangalore. I don't use the car on week days. My usage is primarily on weekends ( 50% City + 50% Highway ).

4. It's good to see that, some of the BHP'ians helped you during decision making process and also during buying process. Lucky you are! Specially having Ragh_Bhushan. I have seen his Review on his vehicle last year. Very detailed one and I did post some questions on his thread and he promptly responded. Do you know anybody from Bangalore who can help on this? We have couple of Whatsapp group for Duster owners across India. Do you have any such groups for Fortuner owners? If yes, then I am hoping to get some contacts from Bangalore.
1. I really did not find the clutch to be very hard, but others who drove my car did complain of the clutch being slightly on the hard side . Definitely there is a vast difference when compared to the duster - You'll find it one the hard side .

2. It's the regular check uo which I got done and it cost me some 1600 odd ruppees . For the kind of inputs they provide, it's worth it . I think every manufacturer provide this service. I know for sure that BMW and Honda do

3. Drive dynamics on tarmac - Duster would win on Stability , Ease of slipping through traffic , getting a car like feel, body roll (biggest factor) . Fortuner provides much more torque, feels more grounded , handles bad roads better , more comfortable on longer drives, reliability, offcourse off-roading abilities

4. Yeah this is absolutely true ! Bhushan s view on the car was critical in decision making . We have a Fortuners group and can get you connected there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
I fell for this great review.

I wish, I could find a good vehicle like yours in Bangalore.

Please keep logging the overall cost of ownership, time to time, it will help us a lot.
Thanks for the kind words

The key is patience I feel when buying pre used ! You get the car that suits you else wait further .

I will keep updating the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
100,000 kilometres seem like just a number when it comes to this generation of the Fortuner with the prime examples being Maanuj and Bhushan

Glad to know you're already using the car for its primary purpose (scaring away the auto rickshaws) and the occasional off-roading outing as well.

Get the lift kit at the earliest as we've seen the magic happen. Any plans for clutch overhaul?

Excellent detail in the thread it should help many a SUV aspirant like yours truly.
True on the mileage bit ! It's the reviews like that which make you want to buy pre used

Lift kit : I'm itching to get this done , but I haven't realised rh full potential of the stock suspension itself . I am trying to use the same to the fullest . I plan to get it done whenever I need to change suspensions

Clutch : Not required as of now . Toyota checked and said few more kms before anything needs to be done

Buy that SUV, you'll love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Wish you a lot of miles in this beauty and wonderful offroad experiences. Pls do keep us updated here.
Thanks for your kind words and I'll keep updating here
varunraizada is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 02:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Super review man Varun, I started reading but decided to hold off and read it only when i am completely free, Your car simply looks great, Anyone can simply mistake the ODO running from looking at the car from outside.

Wish you many miles of happiness man, Shall do a drive together soon.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 10:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunraizada View Post
[b]
Varun, I read your post and subscribed to it. I've also rated 5 stars. Yours was a simple post but it had all essential details. While typing this reply it is the second time i'm reading your post. As i've closed my auto loan, your post just tempts me man! The fortuner group - is it a TBHP group?

Wishing you many happy miles.
pranavGTI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 11:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Heartiest congrats Varun.

Although I congratulated you long time back, just putting it back since I re-read the ownership again and was in awe.

The car looks menacing and butch too. I give credit to your photography skills which I knew is way too good.

I for one did not like to name Kaliya as frankly it did not suit the car. Suggest choose one from the below list.

https://axleaddict.com/cars/car-names

Happy riding and drive safely.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 14:17   #37
BHPian

Great buy varunraizada. In my opinion nobody makes a body on frame better than Toyota. The last word in toughness and reliability. Even i was contemplating a used Forturner/new Gurka/Bolero. But the fear of an arbitrary NGT order prevents me. I wonder what if NGT extends 10 year diesel ban on all metros. Did you factor that in?
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 15:40   #38
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. I'd highly recommend you switch to Delvac 1 5w40 FS oil. Thank me later.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 16:31   #39
BHPian

Hello Varun,

Thanks for your prompt response to all the questions!

If the clutch is really hard, then I might need to consider AT instead of MT, which is fine with me. Will take a call after the test drive.

I will connect with you and Ragh_Bhushan when I am all set to upgrade next year. I hope you guys can get me some contacts in Bangalore
It would be of great help when making a decision / closing the deal.

Thanks again

Cheers,
Raghav
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 00:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Super review man Varun, I started reading but decided to hold off and read it only when i am completely free.
Thanks for you kind words bro.. your ownership experience made me think of going pre owned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavGTI View Post
Varun, I read your post and subscribed to it. I've also rated 5 stars. Yours was a simple post but it had all essential details.

Wishing you many happy miles.
Thanks for the kind words Pranav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Although I congratulated you long time back, just putting it back since I re-read the ownership again and was in awe.

The car looks menacing and butch too. I give credit to your photography skills which I knew is way too good.

I for one did not like to name Kaliya as frankly it did not suit the car. Suggest choose one from the below list.

https://axleaddict.com/cars/car-names
Hahaha .. the names are quite good in the list ! Let me rework on the name bit

Thanks for your wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
But the fear of an arbitrary NGT order prevents me. I wonder what if NGT extends 10 year diesel ban on all metros. Did you factor that in?
Well a great question which came to my mind too but I decided to take that risk. I may just need to shift to a non metro if such a thing happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Congrats on the purchase. I'd highly recommend you switch to Delvac 1 5w40 FS oil. Thank me later.
Noted Coolmel. Any specific reason you suggest synthetic oil over Mineral oil even after the small service intervals of Toyota ? What performance is made better by this ?
varunraizada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:45   #41
BHPian

Superb writeup there Varun. Immensely helpful for people looking to acquire pre-owned trucks / cars. I personally have been skeptical of pre-owned vehicles but having driven your Fortuner and seen few other cars of fellow BHPians like Tanveer's 530d and Onkar's Fabia, I do feel that if you are patient enough and don't mix your emotions into the purchase you can really get some sweet deals! After that it is all upto you to "make" your personal versions of a perfect car.

All upgrades that you have planned are absolutely worth every penny.

Looking forward to some really long road trips to the mountains with your truck. Happy mile munching!
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 05:51   #42
BHPian

Wonderful Review Varun! Maybe once i get the satin black wrap done on my pocket rocket we can shoot both of them together! Will be a sight, one goes over any land of dust, and the other leaves other cars on the road in dust
DanishP9797 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 10:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
I personally have been skeptical of pre-owned vehicles but having driven your Fortuner and seen few other cars of fellow BHPians like Tanveer's 530d and Onkar's Fabia, I do feel that if you are patient enough and don't mix your emotions into the purchase you can really get some sweet deals! After that it is all upto you to "make" your personal versions of a perfect car.

Looking forward to some really long road trips to the mountains with your truck.

Thanks for the kind words Bhushan ! Well, to be honest I was extremely skeptical about pre owned cars, but given the needs (read wants ) I had to go the pre owned way with my budget !

I learnt a lot in the process and I do feel that the emotions come through only after you have purchased a pre owned car and not before it - Which is the biggest difference of buying new. I still feel I have some time and investments to go before I can say this is the perfect car according to my taste

Those mountains will soon be conquered !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishP9797 View Post
Wonderful Review Varun!

Maybe once i get the satin black wrap done on my pocket rocket we can shoot both of them together!

Will be a sight, one goes over any land of dust, and the other leaves other cars on the road in dust

Thanks for your kind words Danish !

Your already hot looking sleeper car will become even more awesome ! A photoshoot is definitely on the cards
varunraizada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 12:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Great to see you post details about your Kaliya here. There are two important learning points for me out here -
1. Due diligence can get you a well kept ride which costs a fraction of the new vehicle.
2. Toyota is the best out there. It has influenced me so much, that my next car would probably be one from the T stable.

I still remember seeing Kaliya for the first time near your home. Looks imposing and I'm sure you are having fun teaching a lesson to the pesky auto drivers who drive like they own the roads.
Kaliya - My pre-owned 1st gen Toyota Fortuner-whatsapp-image-20180527-12.38.46.jpeg

However, my only concern are the brakes on the car. Knowing your driving style, it should not be a problem for you, but considering the madness on our Indian highways, its best to look at other options (like others have done) sooner or later.

And yes, next time, please take me along with you for the OTR sessions. It'll be a sight to see the the truck in its natural habitat.

Keep munching miles....

Last edited by blackwasp : 27th May 2018 at 12:59.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 16:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Varun,

First of all, Congratulations on getting this Monster !!!

Must say that, this is one of the most honest and unbiased review. Thanks for compiling this very comprehensive report. Rated the thread 5 star

I currently own a Duster ( New Duster, Diesel/Manual, 2016 model ).

I am planning to upgrade to pre-owned Fortuner sometime next year. I am from Bangalore and there are plenty of them available in used car market. AWD is optional for me. Manual is my preference compare to Automatic. But again I am open to anything since you cannot demand much in a pre-owned market I plan to pick 2nd generation Fortuner since it has some improvement over the 1st gen. I have below questions considering you did drive Duster.
I am in the same boat, currently owns a 85ps terrano with racedynamics installed.
let me know when your queries get resolved.

Most Viewed