Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2018, 16:56   #31
BHPian

Re: A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family

@redline6800 did you just pass thru koramangala 1st main? If yes, awesome car mate. Well maintained. Suddenly struck about this review. Well said about the car

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th August 2018 at 17:22. Reason: u > you. Please avoid posting in SMS lingo. Thanks.
Old 13th August 2018, 17:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Since I'm in the market for a used Jetta at the moment, what are the top things I need to watch out for during a test drive? I'm familiar with VWs and the DSG in general, but a little detail never hurt.
Hey Viraat,

The car will chose you more than you chosing the car. If she wants you to have her, she will behave extremely well with you, no matter what her issues are.
You must do all the fact finding about her, but do it with the intention of getting her for a better bargain rather than letting her go. If she is not that well kept, see it as an opportunity to give her some more needed love. This intention itself will ensure that she will always be in gratitude to you. She will never fail on you in those crucial moments no matter what her expenses may pan out to be.
Having said that, it is important to know what kind of expenses you could incur. Some of the things that you should look out for are:

1. Would be best if she is less than 4 years old and even better if you have extended warranty. If there is no extended warranty, they still change parts under goodwill warranty if all your service records are intact and you have never chaged a part outside(including battery).

2. Her high speed poise. This is one of her greatest traits. You need to feel that too in your drive even though you are graduating from the brilliant Octavia.

3. Braking at high speed. In a DSG there is zero brakebfade even from 200. Infact due to the automatic engine braking, the brake force increases further rather than fading.

4. Alloys whether they are bent. You will have to put it on a lathe to fix it.

5. Service history, oil changes.

6. Look out for the sump guard under the front bumper. If that is broken or loosely fitted due to minor scrapes and hits, it can hamper the airflow and can cause your engine to heat up. That simple sump guard can set you back by 20K. Hence when you drive especially at high speed, do look out for the engine temperature remaining stable at 90 degrees.

7. Door lock errors

8. Apart from the above, get the owner to drive while you sit aside and ask him to stop on an incline and come out of the car. Check how he puts the car into "P". If he releases the brake after putting it into P before applying the hand brake, then your owner has been putting a lot of load on the transmission even while the car was still.

8. Check the roof linings. Known to give way in our heat.

9. Remove the engine cover and look out for an oil spill.

10. The rear AC grille is prone to damage. Check that out.

11. Lookout for uneven inner tire wear by putting the car up on a ramp at a local car wash area.Will show signs of weak suspension/alignment.

12. Check how the car starts. If you can hear the jerk of the engine within the driver's bay, the car probably has weak flywheel(60K)/ mounts (20K) which can only be replaced.

Regards,
Burjiis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Please do post a pic of your car as well.
Have a great trip. With a car like Jetta, the journey is always the destination
Here are some pictures of my car and this is the first time she will feature on Team BHP!!!

Also posting a pic of the HU that I upgraded as the one that came stock did not have bluetooth and a woofer out. But after installing Blaupunkt, the sound quality improved so much that I removed the woofer after a few months.

Regards,
Burjiis
Attached Thumbnails
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-20150627_110100.jpg  

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-20151231_135840.jpg  

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-20180810_165524.jpg  

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-20150605_103322.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th August 2018 at 17:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
burjiis is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 17:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
@redline6800 did you just pass thru koramangala 1st main?
How about that!

Yup just passed through Koramangala and headed back home now to

Last edited by ajmat : 13th August 2018 at 20:09. Reason: typo
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 22:22   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burjiis View Post

The car will chose you more than you chosing the car. If she wants you to have her, she will behave extremely well with you, no matter what her issues are.
couldn’t agree with you more

Quote:
Here are some pictures of my car and this is the first time she will feature on Team BHP!!!
She sure does look lovely ! My compliments.

Are you getting the car serviced at the showroom or a FNG?
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 22:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:

Are you getting the car serviced at the showroom or a FNG?
At the showroom...always. Finally have a good team at Shaman Sewri in Mumbai.
burjiis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 15:12   #36
BHPian

So 1,00,000 km rolls up on the odometer.

Was great to have wify by my side as the magic number rolled up (was dropping her to office) - despite morning traffic managed to stretch Jetta's legs on an empty stretch too.

How bad is BLR traffic? A distance of 11 km takes 45 mins on a Monday morning.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0339.jpg

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0342.jpg

A planned trio to Ooty did not materialise due to the unfortunate heavy rains and weather conditions that have put so many people and animals in misery.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 22:54   #37
BHPian

What KMPL does a Jetta 2.0 TDI, which makes approx 160BHP, weighs 1.4 tonne and rides on 225/55/R16 tyres give in BLR traffic when driven with 2 passengers and aircon on all the time?

The answer is 7.4 KMPL !

After 385 km - Jetta gobbled up 52 litres of Indian Oil regular diesel (full tank to full tank)

The route today (about 50% of Jetta's running monthly) was a 12.5 km journey from Jeevan Bhima Nagar to Sarjapur Prestige Tech Park which took an hour and twenty minutes and the return journey which took an hour.

Surprisingly, the MID said avg consumption was 13.2 kmpl before diesel was topped up.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0371.jpg

After topping up fuel - the range readout says 470km - which equates to 8.5 kmpl.

I also found the fuel gauge to be really accurate - it looks like the 2 red bars in the fuel gauge correspond to 5 litres each. Going forward will top-up as soon as the gauge touches red.

Cant say that I am unhappy with the fuel economy - the car is driven conservatively and usually in heavy traffic - but whenever an open stretch presents itself, the opportunity is made use of

Our smaller 6 year old Brio gave 10.5 kmpl in its last full tank, while the MID said 11.2 - this car does the above route 20 days a month - in very heavy traffic.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 09:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What KMPL does a Jetta 2.0 TDI, which makes approx 160BHP, weighs 1.4 tonne and rides on 225/55/R16 tyres give in BLR traffic when driven with 2 passengers and aircon on all the time?

The answer is 7.4 KMPL !

After 385 km - Jetta gobbled up 52 litres of Indian Oil regular diesel (full tank to full tank)

The route today (about 50% of Jetta's running monthly) was a 12.5 km journey from Jeevan Bhima Nagar to Sarjapur Prestige Tech Park which took an hour and twenty minutes and the return journey which took an hour.

Surprisingly, the MID said avg consumption was 13.2 kmpl before diesel was topped up.

Attachment 1794160

After topping up fuel - the range readout says 470km - which equates to 8.5 kmpl.
7.4 Kmpl is very low. Never seen that low before. Maybe, I have never emptied the entire tank within the city traffic.

Tank full to tank full is the best way to check mileage. MFD is usually in its own dreamland.

Check FE again when you travel on highways. That should show another extreme result.. 14 to 18 is what I expect, depends on the driving style too.. 😊
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 20:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
The answer is 7.4 KMPL !

Hey brother nice car. Really tempting. Mileage might not be the top priority but I will suggest to use the Shell bunks to get your diesel next time.

I got my car filled with Shell petrol and man I can see a real difference in power and mileage.
kanu2k15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 23:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
7.4 Kmpl is very low. Never seen that low before. Maybe, I have never emptied the entire tank within the city traffic.
I am trying a zen approach on this tankful to see if my driving style was the issue - as I am used to petrols - I felt that I was downshifting and not making full use of torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
Hey brother nice car. Really tempting. Mileage might not be the top priority but I will suggest to use the Shell bunks to get your diesel next time.
We had done a trial on our Brio and City between Shell regular and IOC regular petrol (couple of tankfulls) and did not find a major difference in engine smoothness and performance (dont recall if we checked mileage though).

Since I have a IOC branded card we use IOC as we can redeem the points for fuel.

But as a learning approach - the next full tank for city driving in Jetta will be on Shell regular
Old 12th September 2018, 16:35   #41
BHPian

In the interests of science, I have monitored this tank of fuel very closely!

Changes made - Jetta driven more conservatively with upshifts around 2,000 - 2,200 rpm mark and tyre pressure checked (32 psi) , corrected to 33 psi all round.

Speed on open roads between 70 to 90 with occasional forays to 120 kmph. but generally cruising in 5th/6th gear. 50% distance with sole driver and remaining with single passenger.

Two 90 km trips from home to Bangalore International Airport to back, one trip to Basavangudi, one trip to Bangalore International Exhibition Centre (about 60km, I guess). Rest trips around Jeevan Bhima Nagar to Indiranagar, Kalyan Nagar and Sarjapur Prestige Tech Park

The result - 27L (if I am reading the gauge correctly) for 391 km which equates to more then 14kmpl.

Will top up at the 45 litre mark to check the final mileage. The remaining running will be in City so I expect an accurate 50% city and highway driving figure.

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0533.jpg

Apart from that decided to get Insurance renewed for Jetta - got a very competitive quote from TATA AIG for comprehensive insurance policy with IDV of 9 L for Rs 23,014. Nil depreciation insurance option was Rs 43,815 for same IDV. Was told that TATA AIG offers nil depreciation policy for up to 7 years.

Other offers were:
MAX LIFE - Rs 25,000 for comprehensive policy with IDV 9 L
ROYAL SUNDARAM - Rs 27,957 for comprehensive policy with IDV 13 L
HDFC ERGO - Rs 58,000 for nil depreciation policy with IDV 12.7 L

Last edited by Redline6800 : 12th September 2018 at 16:47. Reason: more info added
Redline6800 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 15:42   #42
BHPian

On a recent trip to BIEC, I got to park next to a Jetta 5th gen - automatic.
Am assuming that this car was at least 8 years old? the headlights appear faded but not much wear otherwise.

Was very impressed with the paint finish on the older car and could not resist the temptation of clicking pics of both beauties.

The Jetta 6th gen's understated looks are very much evident here.

The 5th gen Jetta certainly seems to have a more imposing front grill - though I prefer the 6th gen.
Attached Thumbnails
A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0422.png  

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0424.png  

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0426.png  

A pre-worshipped VW Jetta joins the family-img_0429.png  

Redline6800 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 16:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Jetta 6th gen's understated looks are very much evident here.

The 5th gen Jetta certainly seems to have a more imposing front grill - though I prefer the 6th gen.
I had always admired the looks of 5th Gen Jetta. Both the front grill and the tail lamps were worth drooling! That had me dream about owning a Jetta for a long while.

But after the 6th Gen Jetta was launched, the previous Gen Jetta started looking a bit dis-proportionate over-all. Fifth Gen is more like a boot added to an Hatch-back. I feel that the 6th Gen Jetta is complete as a Sedan. Tail lights looks modern and elegant. But for the fact that the front grill is shared with it's younger / economical siblings, Jetta is an excellent timeless design for sure.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 19:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Rest trips around Jeevan Bhima Nagar to Indiranagar, Kalyan Nagar and Sarjapur Prestige Tech Park
Hi Redline6800 and Chetan,

It has been great pleasure reading your threads on the Jetta. Reading all your inputs, tweaks, upgrades made me feel stronger to upgrade.

After much R&D I have made a purchase from a dealer at Indiranagar.

2012 Jetta CL, 44K+.

Please click here (Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review) for details.

I might get him home by 26th of this month.

I will be eating your heads for tips and suggestions.

And Redline6800, I stay in CV Raman Nagar(GM Palya). 2 TBHP Jettas closer now
sangam_mm93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 14:57   #45
BHPian

An update folks.

Bank guy said that the bank has approved my loan and they will disburse only after my HR confirms my payslips in an email which they'd send after I share his email ID with the bank. What kind of sorcery is this!

One kind of a Contradiction, isn't it?

I have never seen in my previous experience where an HR approves of your payslips. Nevertheless, I asked my HR about this and he humbly agreed to do so. Sweet!

Post this, they'd confirm the same to the dealers and I can just take the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks