Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2019, 21:51   #136
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3V View Post
Hi, I am a new-ish member of the X1 club. Have spent around a month with my X1 20i sDrive and it’s been a fun experience so far!!

Just wanted to check on a few things with you guys:

A) On long red lights, is it ok keep the car in D mode or better to switch to P mode?

B) Sometimes when the car comes to a complete halt while driving (and its in D mode), it seems that the engine is disengaged and the car seems to enter a relaxed state. Other times, it continues to remain tensed. I understand this is something to do with automatic start-stop but can’t figure out the exact logic. Can someone please explain the logic behind this.

Hi, You will have to check the programming specific for your car, but you have a rare variant that has a very rare gearbox - the 7 speed dual clutch gearbox from BMW! General advice for these gearboxes goes as follows:

- Always better to switch to neutral at long red lights
- Always depress the brake pedal fully when at a standstill. It's possible that you feel the tensed state when it's only partially pressed.
- Note the driving mode that you are using. In sport mode, it's more likely that BMW programmed the engine to be engaged partially for an instant go when you let off the brake pedal. Meanwhile in eco pro mode, it's more likely to disengage more often. I assume you are talking about the engine remaining on, but the car still tugging ahead slightly like a half-clutch situation. If the engine is turned off due to Auto start-stop, a completely different set of conditions govern whether the engine remains on or off.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 22:48   #137
V3V

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition! I am seriously considering the X1 as well.

Since you are in Mumbai and bought a petrol X1 I have to ask you how you sourced one? No dealers are willing to sell or offer a TD of the Petrol. Were you able to get hefty discount on the Petrol X1?

Thanks
Hi, Thanks for the kind words! When we bought our car, both the dealers had petrol X1 with them for sale. There were limited options available in terms of colour combinations. We were told that BMW does limited production runs for the petrol variant of X1 and this is the lot they have on offer from the last lot. We were also told that BMW has halted production of petrol variant to manage their production - demand parameters since <5% of the buyers pick a petrol variant. Not sure if this was a fact or a sales pitch. Looking at the facts you mentioned above, it seems that there is a lack of supply from BMW for the petrol version.

No petrol vehicle was not available for test drive at both the dealers. In terms of discounts, both the dealers had said that they can get more aggressive on pricing for the diesel variant. However, we didn't want to go for a diesel variant hence didn't get in a detailed discussion. Based on recent interactions, I understand that they are offering discounts of ~5L currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
- Always better to switch to neutral at long red lights
- Always depress the brake pedal fully when at a standstill. It's possible that you feel the tensed state when it's only partially pressed.
- Note the driving mode that you are using. In sport mode, it's more likely that BMW programmed the engine to be engaged partially for an instant go when you let off the brake pedal. Meanwhile in eco pro mode, it's more likely to disengage more often. I assume you are talking about the engine remaining on, but the car still tugging ahead slightly like a half-clutch situation. If the engine is turned off due to Auto start-stop, a completely different set of conditions govern whether the engine remains on or off.
Thanks for this. It is quite helpful! Now that you have mentioned it, I think the tensed - relaxed state of car could be because of me not depressing the brakes fully in all situations. I will try this out. Most of my driving is in comfort or eco pro mode. I didn't mean about the car chugging ahead, it's basically the sound and feel of the engine - i.e. when at standstill sometimes it feels like the engine is whirring in a relaxed manner and sometimes it feels like its still hard at work despite the car not being in motion
V3V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 23:02   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A) On long red lights, is it ok keep the car in D mode or better to switch to P mode?
Never engage P mode in traffic. One bump from behind and you will be looking at a huge bill.

Either you can put in neutral and pull up e-parking brake.

OR

I leave car in D and simply engage e-Brake. A gentle tap on accelerator and e-Brake automatically disengages.

Quote:
B) Sometimes when the car comes to a complete halt while driving (and its in D mode), it seems that the engine is disengaged and the car seems to enter a relaxed state. Other times, it continues to remain tensed. I understand this is something to do with automatic start-stop but can’t figure out the exact logic. Can someone please explain the logic behind this.
I always shut off Auto start stop system.

Tensed, what is that?

As I engage e-Brake, I do believe it disengages the engine and clutch pack.

Quote:
D) What should be the ideal tyre pressure? I am using the stock Bridgestone tyres which currently have ~33-34 psi across all 4 wheels. The car mostly carries 2-3 adults and limited luggage.
Always fill recommended tyre pressure.

For 225 55 R17, its 32 all round. Even one PSI less, I can feel the difference in drive and comfort.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 17:27   #139
BHPian

Did you get the wheel alignment done? If so, did you do it at BMW or local shop?
Old 12th January 2020, 19:53   #140

Hello All,

This is my first post here. I have recently sold my 10 year old i20 asta petrol car (clocking 125,000kms) and have booked the X1 sdrive 20d xline (Mediterranean Blue) in Mumbai and expecting delivery of the car by 18th January.

Not sure if this is off topic but I am writing to check if Bhpians here could help with:
1) Pre-delivery checklist for the X1. I have already downloaded the excel sheet that was available on the pre-delivery checklist thread, not sure if it is the latest.
2) Is it advisable to get the BSI Plus package (5 yrs 80000kms). Monthly mileage of around ~1200-1300kms
3) Is it advisable to get a color protection coat, any suggestions on the same will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th January 2020, 20:21   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp_morpheus View Post
2) Is it advisable to get the BSI Plus package (5 yrs 80000kms). Monthly mileage of around ~1200-1300kms
For a yearly mileage around 15000 kms, I would definitely suggest going for BSI+. Though you may still save a little by avoiding all the unnecessary stuff charged by the dealership and doing paid service, BSI+ gives you the peace of mind of not having to haggle with the dealership on unwanted or higher than normal charges.

I would also recommend you get the maximum BRI coverage (this is warranty). As 6 year BRI would have a very high incremental cost compared to 5 years, at least get a 5 year BRI. I took the 6 year BRI for my 3GT.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 20:35   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
For a yearly mileage around 15000 kms, I would definitely suggest going for BSI+. Though you may still save a little by avoiding all the unnecessary stuff charged by the dealership and doing paid service, BSI+ gives you the peace of mind of not having to haggle with the dealership on unwanted or higher than normal charges.

I would also recommend you get the maximum BRI coverage (this is warranty). As 6 year BRI would have a very high incremental cost compared to 5 years, at least get a 5 year BRI. I took the 6 year BRI for my 3GT.
Thanks for the reply. Have taken a 4 year warranty for now. May extend the BRI to 6 after sometime. Thank you for suggestion on the BSI+
Old 13th January 2020, 01:41   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
booked the X1 sdrive 20d xline (Mediterranean Blue) in Mumbai and expecting delivery of the car by 18th January.
If its through Infinity Cars; they have a closed proper warehouse in Bhiwandi. Do your PDI there in ease.

Quote:
Since you are coming from Hyundai, advise be get maximum Extended Warranty. With BMW its 6 yrs.

Coming to BSI, get the BSI Plus, 10 years/1,00,000 Kms. Worth every penny. I have the same and plan to retain the car for maximum period possible.

Quote:
3) Is it advisable to get a color protection coat, any suggestions on the same will be very helpful.
Do not let your building car wash guy, wash your X1. Will be filled with swirls in few weeks. Dark shades need care and they stand out in ocean of whites & grey.

Use Jopasu Duster and CarPro Ech2o as Quick Detailer 1:25 (Ech2o:Water) mist & wipe off panel for daily cleaning.

Use Sonax Car Polish every 2 months, gets rid of swirls and gives a nice shine.

I have a Sparkling Brown+Beige interior X1 and its takes effort to keep it sparkling & neat.

I loved black interiors, not anymore. Beige gives a royal and big feeling.

Lastly TYRES, see if you could get either Bridgestone or Michelin.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 are absolutely crap. Replaced 4 of them under Secure with Bridgestone Turanza T001 in past 10 months.

Bridgestone are the best for X1.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st January 2020 at 15:46. Reason: As per earlier PMs from GTO.
Old 13th January 2020, 08:47   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Replaced 4 of them under Secure with Bridgestone Turanza T001 in past 10 months.
Can you let me know a bit more about this? I was under the impression that tyre change under Secure is done only in case of damage to tyres? Is it possible to change it under Secure without any damage to make a preferred change? Thanks.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:06   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
I was under the impression that tyre change under Secure is done only in case of damage to tyres?
That's correct.

All 4 tyres were damaged (puncture, cuts) on separate incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
Is it possible to change it under Secure without any damage to make a preferred change?
No.
Old 13th January 2020, 11:59   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
If its through Infinity Cars; they have a closed proper warehouse in Bhiwandi. Do your PDI there in ease.

Since you are coming from Hyundai, advise be get maximum Extended Warranty. With BMW its 6 yrs.

Coming to BSI, get the BSI Plus, 10 years/1,00,000 Kms. Worth every penny. I have the same and plan to retain the car for maximum period possible.

Do not let your building car wash guy, wash your X1. Will be filled with swirls in few weeks. Dark shades need care and they stand out in ocean of whites & grey.

Use Jopasu Duster and CarPro Ech2o as Quick Detailer 1:25 (Ech2o:Water) mist & wipe off panel for daily cleaning.

Use Sonax Car Polish every 2 months, gets rid of swirls and gives a nice shine.

I have a Sparkling Brown+Beige interior X1 and its takes effort to keep it sparkling & neat.

I loved black interiors, not anymore. Beige gives a royal and big feeling.

Luckily I have a covered parking both at my workplace and my home and was planning on engaging Autobrix/CleanseCar guys for the daily wash activity. Initially I plan to put the car cover to full use with dusting and cleaning been done myself.

Lastly TYRES, see if you could get either Bridgestone or Michelin.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 are absolutely crap. Replaced 4 of them under Secure with Bridgestone Turanza T001 in past 10 months.

Bridgestone are the best for X1.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have bought the car through Infinity and was to inspect the car at the showroom (delivery location). Will request a PDI at the warehouse.

I have taken a 4 yr warranty for now. Would have loved to take a 6yr warranty with BSI Plus for 10 yrs, but given I have extended myself financially while buying this car would it be okay to get both of these later (may be a year or two down the line)

Luckily I have a covered parking both at my workplace and my home and was planning on engaging Autobrix/CleanseCar guys for the daily wash activity. Initially I plan to put the car cover to full use with dusting and cleaning been done myself.

Will the Bridgestone tyres work well with the 17" alloy wheels that they offer now on the xline (instead of the 18" that they offered in 2018). I loved the Y spoke alloys :(. Will try and get them replaced under Secure by the end of this year.

Last edited by vp_morpheus : 13th January 2020 at 12:22. Reason: Haven't used the Quote function correctly.
Old 13th January 2020, 18:34   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have bought the car through Infinity and was to inspect the car at the showroom (delivery location). Will request a PDI at the warehouse.
I always prefer to do PDI at Warehouse. You know exactly how many kms car was driven. What all came from factory as kit. Any issue can be taken up before final registration.

Infinity Cars warehouse is huge. You will find many exotics and Ducatis. Worth the trip. They have 2 warehouse in close vicinity; confirm which one.

Quote:
Would have loved to take a 6yr warranty with BSI Plus for 10 yrs, but given I have extended myself financially while buying this car would it be okay to get both of these later (may be a year or two down the line)
Abslutely okay to extend later. Could be possible they might reduce cost further. Like they did recently. I overpaid.

Quote:
Initially I plan to put the car cover to full use with dusting and cleaning been done myself.
Car covers are too hectic. I had one on Vento and it was a task to fold and used to occupy unnecessary space in boot. Plus in rains, car cover used to get wet and fly away due to strong winds.

Quote:
Will the Bridgestone tyres work well with the 17" alloy wheels that they offer now on the xline (instead of the 18" that they offered in 2018).
I have Expedition variant. Came with 17 inch alloys. No issues there.

Y spoke alloys are definitely eye candy. But I love the extra sidewall of 17 inch alloys as I use car extensively on highway and semi-rural areas.

Quote:
Will try and get them replaced under Secure by the end of this year.
Stick with 17 inch. More options in tyres, comfortable and cheaper replacements.
Old 16th March 2020, 15:56   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Initially I plan to put the car cover to full use with dusting and cleaning been done myself.
Avoid using a car cover or a duster since both cause the surface to swirl up with extended use. BMW's paint is a bit hardy but still you can avoid it

Also Car comes in pretty decent shape from factory, avoid spending money on detailing for a while and get it done 6 months or 1 year down the line

Last edited by bottle : 16th March 2020 at 15:58.
bottle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 13:49   #149

Revisited this thread after a long time. Missed out on some useful information while i was gone. I have a 20i petrol 2018 -with the 18" Pirelli and no issues so far, soft yes but holding well.
Please advice in maintaining the paint work of the car. Have tried everything from ceramic coating to polishing but the swirl marks just wont stop. Due to the nature of my work have to employ the local washer guy, have trained him well and uses only microfiber and such. Any suggestions for -
1. Reliable professional at home washing services
2. How do i keep the car reasonably swirl free (mine is the Beemer blue - Mediterranean Blue).
Thank you.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 5th May 2020 at 14:03. Reason: Typos and punctuations. Thanks.
Pointerpins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 11:24   #150
BHPian

I have an X1 xDrive 20d. I have been noticing a jarring feel from the front suspension both sides when the wheels go over ruts like uneven expansion joints or slightly raised slabs on the road at a medium speed and above. In other ways the suspension is dead silent and no rattles or knocks are evident. There is considerable nosedive also when stopping but not alarming in any way.

For comparison I would say that in other cars similar situation will give just a muted thump. This is my first 'SUV' and I am not used to this suspension setup as I have always been driving a hatchback or sedan. Is this common on X1 or do I have a problem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks