Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2018, 13:40   #61
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 3,914
Thanked: 25,044 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

I may be wrong too.
Thanks for searching the part, I won't comment on the part details, as you are much more experienced with BMWs. But I'm afraid, the price in India will be different. If you notice carefully, it's not from a supplier in India, but it says UAE. Common sense says the price has to be different as sellers based in other countries often add delivery and shipping charges on Boodmo.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 14:01   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,553
Thanked: 1,348 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Update: ODO @ 6500

It has been 3 satisfying months with a few long trips in Karnataka. Car is real fun to drive on the ghat sections. While ascending, the rear wheel takes charge and one can feel the push. AWD helps provide traction at higher gradient and loose surfaces.

On the highways, the car is well balanced and a great handler. Power is always available on tap in the Sports mode. Paddle shifts are delightful to use with super-quick gearshifts. X1 is FAST and involving to drive; Overtakes are a breeze as it is quick & nimble to handle.

Brakes are very effective and has a linear feel to it. Love the steering feel / feedback in the Sport mode! Suspensions are well tuned and give a flat ride on the highways. Body roll is well controlled too.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run-Flat tyres are noisy and the rides quality is just average. Grip levels are good, but far from being note worthy. Run-flat tyres gives a weird feeling on rutted tar roads. As the tyres are less flexible, it tends to slide over tar lumps and sort of pulls the car towards one side. I am desperately waiting for Michelin to launch PS4 in the required size!

BMW Apps are very nice to use and the Web Radio is a BIG hit with the family! This with Amazon-Music my requirements are complete! Stock Maps are fairly good to use with Co-ordinates. Wish the google map itinerary could be transferred on to the iDrive.

MFD displays a message saying the oil-change is due in another 4k Kms. That should be around 10k Kms on the ODO! No issues as it is covered under BSI.

I am planning to buy a GoPro-7 and use it as a make-shift dash CAM. Will post a complete review once it is done.

Planning a trip to GOA during the month end. Until then!
Chethan B G is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 15:37   #63
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,283
Thanked: 6,030 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Update: ODO @ 6500



Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run-Flat tyres are noisy and the rides quality is just average. Grip levels are good, but far from being note worthy. Run-flat tyres gives a weird feeling on rutted tar roads. As the tyres are less flexible, it tends to slide over tar lumps and sort of pulls the car towards one side. I am desperately waiting for Michelin to launch PS4 in the required size!
Pirelli P7 RFTs are strictly average. I was unhappy with RFT behaviour as well, so I switched to tubeless for the first change. Got Pirelli P Zero Rosso in tubeless. The rubber compound is sportier and the tyre looks a size wider even though on paper is the same size! Makes a world of difference. I won't be able to go back to RFT now. Many BMW owners here aren't ready to give up on RFTs. You need to decide RFT or non RFT first, tyre brand is the next question.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 19:41   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,553
Thanked: 1,348 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Pirelli P7 RFTs are strictly average. I was unhappy with RFT behaviour as well, so I switched to tubeless for the first change.
Thanks Santosh! Your experience has been an inspiration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Many BMW owners here aren't ready to give up on RFTs. You need to decide RFT or non RFT first, tyre brand is the next question.
I am sure that it is going to be Non-RFT going further. I have a spare anyway, so no problems. I just have to select a good tubeless tyre with RIM protector and carry a puncture kit at the most. I am sure that this upgrade will improve braking distance as well.


BMW is sure getting me paranoid about Tyres / RIM and Rain (water log) in particular!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Got Pirelli P Zero Rosso in tubeless. The rubber compound is sportier and the tyre looks a size wider even though on paper is the same size! Makes a world of difference. I won't be able to go back to RFT now.
I am sold to Michelin Pilot Sport tyres! Excellent grip and also, I feel that they can handle Indian road conditions better then most tyres. Looking for the following tyres:

OEM size: 225/ 50R18 - 95W with 7.5J RIM

Option 1. Upsize: 245/45 R18 100Y XL - Michelin - PS4


Option 2. Upsize: 245/45 R18 100W XL - Michelin - PS3


245mm width should be good enough for improved grip. Extra load rating combined with the RIM protection will give me peace of mind. Considering that the life of the RFT will be around 30k Kms, the stock tyres should last until next year end.


PS3 in this size is already available in India. By next year end, if the required size is available in PS4, that will be my choice eyes closed!

What is your take on this?
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 08:50   #65
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,283
Thanked: 6,030 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I am sure that it is going to be Non-RFT going further. I have a spare anyway, so no problems. I just have to select a good tubeless tyre with RIM protector and carry a puncture kit at the most. I am sure that this upgrade will improve braking distance as well.
That was my rationale as well. In my case I bought the spare by paying extra money, since the X3 did not come with the spare included. If I am going to lug around a spare, I felt I need not suffer the RFTs. Switch to RFT will give a huge improvement in the ride. But at the same time you will feel the car is not as sharp in handling as before. My solution to that is increasing the air pressure by 2 or 3 points. With RFT, the recommended pressure was 32 psi. Now with tubeless, I maintain about 35/36 psi. The ride with 35 psi is still much better than 32 psi RFT, but the sacrifice in turn in sharpness is marginal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I am sold to Michelin Pilot Sport tyres! Excellent grip and also, I feel that they can handle Indian road conditions better then most tyres. Looking for the following tyres:

OEM size: 225/ 50R18 - 95W with 7.5J RIM

Option 1. Upsize: 245/45 R18 100Y XL - Michelin - PS4

Option 2. Upsize: 245/45 R18 100W XL - Michelin - PS3

245mm width should be good enough for improved grip. Extra load rating combined with the RIM protection will give me peace of mind. Considering that the life of the RFT will be around 30k Kms, the stock tyres should last until next year end.

PS3 in this size is already available in India. By next year end, if the required size is available in PS4, that will be my choice eyes closed!

What is your take on this?
I am a Michelin fan too, but unfortunately Michelin has no options in X3 size of 245/50/R18 in tubeless. Availability is an issue with these sizes and many times we have to go with what's available. PS3 is a magnificent tyre. If you get them, just grab 'em! PS4 is available in limited sizes right now and in your size may take a while coming, if at all it comes in future.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 14:31   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,553
Thanked: 1,348 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Couple of observations:

I have been monitoring FE through the Tank full - Tank full method. I am consistently getting an FE in the range of 9-10 Kmpl with-in the Bangalore city. On the highways, I get about 14 Kmpl. Average FE indicated on the iDrive closely matches with these numbers, within a tolerance of + 0.5 Kmpl, which is excellent.

This is about 2 Kmpl less than what I used to get in the Jetta. Considering that X1 is AWD and is a Torque Converter based Automatic, the figures are as expected and satisfactory.

If I add BMW fuel additive to the tank, I get 16 Kmpl on the Highway, which is 2 Kmpl more and saves me Rs.10 per liter! For a can of fuel additive required for a tank-full of fuel, I save Rs.500! Engine feels smoother and more responsive too. I think it is really worth adding this during every alternate fuel fill. Right now, I am adding it whenever I go out on highways. Comments / suggestions from fellow BHPians who have been using this will be helpful.


Is it required to change to Neutral while waiting at the traffic lights? In the D mode, once the brakes (or the hand brake) are applied and the car stops, the transmission automatically shifts to Neutral and the engine feels completely relaxed. There is no need to shift the gear lever to Neutral all the time and I don't do it too.

If we stop on an incline with the leg-brakes applied; once we lift the leg from the brake lever, the car rolls back a little before it starts moving forward as the transmission is in Neutral. It takes a fraction of a second for the AT to realise / shift back to D mode. This does not happen if hand-brakes are applied as it takes that fraction of a second to release and also, there will be accelerator input at that point.


Spoke to Navnit Motors today regarding the Apple CarPlay addition. I was told that the matter has been discussed and will be done by the end of this year. Exact timeline is yet to be confirmed. As I am not in a hurry, the time frame committed is perfectly fine.
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 16:02   #67
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,956
Thanked: 6,368 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Spoke to Navnit Motors today regarding the Apple CarPlay addition. I was told that the matter has been discussed and will be done by the end of this year. Exact timeline is yet to be confirmed. As I am not in a hurry, the time frame committed is perfectly fine.
Is this an official BMW feature addition done at a cost? Are they upgrading with the WiFi Antenna?
graaja is offline  
Old 26th September 2018, 23:57   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,553
Thanked: 1,348 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Is this an official BMW feature addition done at a cost? Are they upgrading with the WiFi Antenna?
At the time of purchase, it was committed that my car comes with Apple CarPlay and accordingly negotiations were carried out. After delivery, as this feature was not part of the car, I had taken this up with BMW & Navnit Motors.

As there was a pre-sale commitment, Navnit Motors agreed to honor the same and things are being arranged officially through BMW India / Germany.

My car comes with Entry Navigation EVO (ENAV EVO) head unit with ID6 software, iDrive touch controller and 8.8 inch touch screen display with split function. This HU does not support Apple CarPlay.

For ACP to function, Next Best Thing EVO (NBT EVO) head unit is required. This will have the necessary hardware for ACP and with the required FSC code, ACP can be activated. WiFi antenna increases the range and technically not mandatory, but definitely helps.

In my case, they will do whatever it takes to get me Apple CarPlay. This is what has been committed.

Technically, HU needs to be replaced along with the iDrive controller interface. WiFi antenna and the required FSC code will then be required to activate CarPlay.

Once the NBT EVO is installed, Navigation professional can be a part of it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 27th September 2018 at 00:00.
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 15:01   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,553
Thanked: 1,348 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Is it required to change to Neutral while waiting at the traffic lights? In the D mode, once the brakes (or the hand brake) are applied and the car stops, the transmission automatically shifts to Neutral and the engine feels completely relaxed. There is no need to shift the gear lever to Neutral all the time and I don't do it too.
As the Aisin Automatic GB supports coasting at idle, it has a mechanism to disengage Torque Converter clutch from the engine. I think something similar happens during idling at signals too. Smart way to reduce drag and component wear.

8-speed automatic transmission with electronic transmission control



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

My car comes with Entry Navigation EVO (ENAV EVO) head unit with ID6 software, iDrive touch controller and 8.8 inch touch screen display with split function. This HU does not support Apple CarPlay.
bmwheadunit.pdf
Chethan B G is offline  
Old 27th September 2018, 17:53   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 317
Thanked: 374 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
As the Aisin Automatic GB supports coasting at idle, it has a mechanism to disengage Torque Converter clutch from the engine. I think something similar happens during idling at signals too. Smart way to reduce drag and component wear.
Hi Chethan!

I drive a 2017 Volvo S60 and I believe my car has the same Aisin sourced 8 speed automatic gearbox.

Whenever I am at a signal or know that I will be stationary for a long-ish period of time, I immediately shift the gearbox to Neutral or Park. I can feel the engine/transmission/car relaxing when I do so. If I keep it in D with my foot on the brake, I somehow get the feeling that the car is tensed up.

Also when I am on an incline and the car is in D and I start to drive off, the hill ascent feature kicks in and the car moves forward after about a second. The car does not roll back even though I don't have any brake applied, rather my foot is on the accelerator.

It is a wonderful gearbox and although it is not close to a double clutch unit in terms of quick gearshifts, it still feels solid and delivers power neatly if not aggressively. What are your thoughts on this?
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 22:45   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,589
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Chetan , can you clarify on rim protector? How does it work

Also on my display there is a section called technology in action where it shows the car and when I brake it says charging battery, has anyone seen this ?
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 05:51   #72
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,956
Thanked: 6,368 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Also on my display there is a section called technology in action where it shows the car and when I brake it says charging battery, has anyone seen this ?
That is called regenerative braking and mostly implemented in electric cars. When you brake you lose lot of energy as kinetic energy is converted to potential energy. In regenerative braking you convert this lost energy into electricity. In electric cars, the motor that drives the wheels becomes a generator during braking and generates this electricity and dumps it back into the battery.

In a petrol or diesel car, you can couple the alternator to the drive system during braking and convert the lost energy into electricity. BMW also keeps the alternator disconnected during acceleration and connected only during braking and coasting. This increases fuel efficiency.

Check out the below video.

graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 19:23   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,553
Thanked: 1,348 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Chetan , can you clarify on rim protector? How does it work
Tyres with a rim protector


Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Hi Chethan!

I drive a 2017 Volvo S60 and I believe my car has the same Aisin sourced 8 speed automatic gearbox.

Whenever I am at a signal or know that I will be stationary for a long-ish period of time, I immediately shift the gearbox to Neutral or Park. I can feel the engine/transmission/car relaxing when I do so. If I keep it in D with my foot on the brake, I somehow get the feeling that the car is tensed up.

Also when I am on an incline and the car is in D and I start to drive off, the hill ascent feature kicks in and the car moves forward after about a second. The car does not roll back even though I don't have any brake applied, rather my foot is on the accelerator.

It is a wonderful gearbox and although it is not close to a double clutch unit in terms of quick gearshifts, it still feels solid and delivers power neatly if not aggressively. What are your thoughts on this?
Hi Veedu89,

Aisin 8 Speed is a wonderful gearbox and a very reliable one too. It has been a pleasure using it.

The same box is used by different manufacturers. Mechatronics as we know is a combination of Mechanical hardware + Electrical hardware + Software. Even though the same unit is sold by Aisin to many manufacturers, the end result after the interface can be very different.

To begin with, the Gear ratios will be different and the way any engine delivers power / torque is unique. Interface between the engine and the Gearbox is THE challenge and is in the hands of the car manufacturers.

The mechanical part of the Gearbox provides various possibilities, which can be used / controlled through the software in different ways. The software part can be fine-tuned / developed by the car manufacturers.

All these aspects can alter the experience of the user in different ways. When I test-drove Volvo S60, my experience was similar to yours. If I have to mention a couple of things that are differently configured in an X1;

1. I can use paddle shifts with ease in any modes and after that, if I just stop accelerator input for more than 3 seconds, it gets back to Auto mode by itself. I find this very cool.

2. This Gearbox has coasting feature. Is is made possible by disengaging TC from the drive while idling between 50-160 kmph. This feature is used during the stop at traffic signal too.

Shift logic, Gearbox logic and implementation is very different in an X1 compared to other manufacturers using the same gearbox.

I love Volvo cars too. They are fantastic to say the least! Enjoy your ride!
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 12:46   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
Chethan B G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,553
Thanked: 1,348 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

It was a wonderful weekend trip to Goa. Enjoyed the drive more than anything!

At 8300 Kms on the ODO, iDrive is throwing an alert to get the engine oil changed within the next 2000 Kms. I get this message on the MFD every time I turn-on the ignition, which stays for a few seconds. As I travel long-distance frequently, I am planning to take an appointment during this week itself and get the required services done.


BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-1.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-2.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-3.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-4.jpg

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-5.jpg
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 13:11   #75
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,283
Thanked: 6,030 Times
Default Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
It was a wonderful weekend trip to Goa. Enjoyed the drive more than anything!

At 8300 Kms on the ODO, iDrive is throwing an alert to get the engine oil changed within the next 2000 Kms. I get this message on the MFD every time I turn-on the ignition, which stays for a few seconds. As I travel long-distance frequently, I am planning to take an appointment during this week itself and get the required services done.
Just a small suggestion - If your total trip distance is comfortably less than 2000 kms, better get the service done after your trip. Oil change services are expensive and come up anywhere between 9 to 12,000 kms. If you do the service now, your clock for the next service will start now and you lose the 2,000 kms left in this chunk of 10,000 kms. That's nearly 20%! BMW earlier used to have 15,000 kms interval, which has been reduced to 12,000 recently, which then comes down to about 9 to 10. It is pretty conservative by default. So no need to worry. I think even the warranty policy has a clause which states that you can overshoot the service schedule by X kms or x% or something like that.

Edit : Sorry, I forgot you have BSI. Pls ignore .

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 8th October 2018 at 13:13.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks