Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2019, 23:49   #106
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

I beg to differ. Runflats last shorter and they are not symmetrical in wearing out.It is not just the cost factor, the poised driving experience with a tubeless is invaluable.RFTs are more prone to tears and damage. Though covered by BSI, the ride was clunky and it totally changed when i switched over to tubeless(pillowy soft ride with no comprimise on driving dynamics. Infact better. Adds some premiumness).Agreed RFTs are safer in case a puncture happens in an unsafe locations. But what are the odds of such a situation happening? Once a year maybe. If i am not wrong,Not all premium cars come with run flats. X1 is gifted with a spacesaver. I have a few of friends who switched over to tubeless right after they delivered. But the right time would be to switch either under 1k km or after 30k km. Very few takers if you had driven it more than 1k km. If driven than 1k km you can switch without paying anything for the tubeless which i did. Happy ever since.
Arunsedanlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamdoot View Post
Hi Chethan, How is your one year of M sport ownership experience ?
Hi Yamdoot,

It has been wonderful to say the least!

Only Achilles heel being the RFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunsedanlover View Post
Hi, Chetan. I am a new member. Coming from a Jetta highline DSG, I purchased the x1 xline sdrive. I find the ride unsettled with an excessive body roll. Driven the car for 2 months and 7500 kms. It seemed to get better after tyres changed to Conti CPC2 tubeless. Ride is a bit sorted now. Did you face any of these issues initially with the new car? Will upgrading the suspension to Bilstein B6 help?
Hi Arun,

Jetta on Bilstein, being a Sedan is definitely a different experience. More so, when you change over to a Cross-over X1 Sdrive. Upgrading to a BMW M-Sport suspension / stiffer Bilstein suspension can help if it is really bothering you. You may loose out on warranty though.

Personally I would suggest you to enjoy X1 for what it offers, without comparing it with a Sedan.

Xdrive M-sport is different with stiffer sport suspensions and 10mm reduced ride height. It is much better, but requires a little time to get used to. But definitely cannot be compared to a Sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
Hello members,

I wanted to know if it is possible to change the run flat tires with normal tubeless ones at the time of purchase? I am factoring in the cost factor of replacement of run flats after running the car with a puncture.

Has someone done that? Is it fine to do this?
It is possible to do it and it is fine too. But I would suggest that you experience it until it requires to be changed. It anyway is covered under BMW Secure.

One problem I personally faced to replace them is that the required size is not available in popular / trust worthy brands.
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:46   #108
BHPian

Thanks Chetan Brother for your valuable advice. Crossovers have a different feeling altogether. As you said takes time getting used to. The brakes are grabby as expected. Do they get better as well in the long run? I have no complaints about the engine. It is damn good. Fun starts post 100 kmph. Spoilt by the speed beeps. The RTO should have set it at 140 kmph. All tuners are breaking their heads to get rid of it but have not been succesful till date. The GONG is a real pain.
Old 23rd October 2019, 13:12   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The brakes are grabby as expected. Do they get better as well in the long run?
Yes. And they are perfectly modulated too.

Quote:
Spoilt by the speed beeps. The GONG is a real pain.
My car doesn't have a hard coded speed warning chime. Can be set by the user at will. Hope it stays that way even after software updates, if any.
Old 23rd October 2019, 16:43   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Chethan,
Which brand RFTs did your X1 come with?

If Bridgestone, then do not judge RFTs by these tires. Recently Dr_AD changed the tires in his 320D to Michelin Primacy 3 ZF RFTs and his feedback is that these tires are totally another level in terms of comfort compared to the OE Bridgestones.

My 330i GT came with Continental CSC5 RFTs and these are just fantastic in terms of ride comfort and grip. They have almost zero road noise. I got the same tires when time came to replace the tires.

So, I think the culprit is the Bridgestone RFTs, not RFTs in general. Next time you need to change the tires, instead of going with Bridgestone, try the Michelin Primacy or Conti CSC5 tires.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 17:09   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi Chethan,
Hi Ganesh,

My X1 came with Pirelli P7 RFT’s. Problem is that they are extremely soft and noisy too. Gets damaged very easily. Sort of negates the very idea of using an RFT.

They are so soft that I am literally scared to use the car to it’s actual potential. That too given the condition of our roads. 😊

I was confident with PS3 on my Jetta under similar circumstances. 😊
Old 23rd October 2019, 17:30   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My X1 came with Pirelli P7 RFT’s. Problem is that they are extremely soft and noisy too. Gets damaged very easily. Sort of negates the very idea of using an RFT.
Next time try the Michelin RFTs. The 5 series comes with these tires, I believe.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 17:56   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Chethan,

If Bridgestone, then do not judge RFTs by these tires. Recently Dr_AD changed the tires in his 320D to Michelin Primacy 3 ZF RFTs and his feedback is that these tires are totally another level in terms of comfort compared to the OE Bridgestones.
Yes, I recently switched to Micheline Primacy 3 ZP (ZP is Micheline term for RFT; ZP = Zero Pressure = RFT) tyres. I saw these tyres as OEM tyres on the new 5 series, and did some research. Turns out worldwide BMW owners are very happy with these tyres, and then I went ahead and bought these.

I am very happy with these tyres and they are at next level altogether compared to the Birdgestone Potenza S001 RFTs that my car came with. These are much more silent, and the ride is very comfortable.

Quote:
Hi Ganesh,
I was confident with PS3 on my Jetta under similar circumstances. ��
The tyres I got now are essentially the RFT (ZP) version of the same PS3. I think you should try these. These will totally transform the ride, in a good way.

Worldwide the reviews are very positive. I think the earlier poorer RFTs gave a bad name to RFTs. These latest RFTs from Michelin are really great, and now I do not see any need to switch to tubeless.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 23rd October 2019 at 18:06.
Dr.AD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 23:34   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next time try the Michelin RFTs. The 5 series comes with these tires, I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
The tyres I got now are essentially the RFT (ZP) version of the same PS3. I think you should try these. These will totally transform the ride, in a good way.
This is great. Confidence inspiring! Thanks Ganesh and Dr.AD

My Car has done 20k Kms until now. As 2 tyres were changed only 5k Kms back, I don't have to worry about changing the tyres for another 10k Kms. I have renewed my BMW-Secure too.

My car comes with 225/50/R18 RFTs. Tyre width of stock tyres are good enough, but 235 width would also do. Are Michelin RFTs available in this size? In India that is.
Old 23rd October 2019, 23:43   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My car comes with 225/50/R18 RFTs. Tyre width of stock tyres are good enough, but 235 width would also do. Are Michelin RFTs available in this size? In India that is.
No, unfortunately not. It looks like this size is not available in Michelin RFTs. 225/50/R17 is available (which was the size for my car), but not 225/50/R18.

Their 18" series starts from 245 width.

Their website (https://www.michelin.in/auto/tyres/primacy-3) lists below sizes for 18" in ZP (RFT) series:

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-capture.jpg
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 09:06   #116
BHPian

Hi, Paddles: Returning back to D.I could not figuire out the way to return to D once i use paddles in this mode. How long does it take to get back?Any other way than moving gear lever to the left and back again?
Old 24th October 2019, 09:25   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My car comes with 225/50/R18 RFTs. Tyre width of stock tyres are good enough, but 235 width would also do.
That is the same size as the front tires of the GT. This size is available in Continental CSC5 RFTs. These should be available with both the BMW dealers (will be expensive) and other tire dealers.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 19:55   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Yamdoot,

It has been wonderful to say the least!

Would you advice service packages if the car is not going to do more than 10k in a year? esp when RFTs are so prone to wear.
Old 24th October 2019, 20:06   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamdoot View Post
Would you advice service packages if the car is not going to do more than 10k in a year? esp when RFTs are so prone to wear.
If the running is around 10K a year, service package doesn't make much sense. RFTs are wear and tear items and are not covered under any service package. Only accidental damage to RFTs are covered under BMW Secure. So, if you want to cover the tires for damage, take the BMW Secure. For the first year, it is free though.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 00:35   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi, Paddles: Returning back to D.I could not figuire out the way to return to D once i use paddles in this mode. How long does it take to get back?Any other way than moving gear lever to the left and back again?
Without sudden changes in acceleration it shifts back to d in about 3-5 seconds.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th October 2019 at 02:36.

Most Viewed