Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2018, 02:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Chetan, quick query my car has a TPMS but doesn't show the tyre pressure and temp. It just shows if all tyres are fine on pressure and indicates a warning if pressure of any tyre is not enough. Is this feature part of the 2018 X1 or is it available in the earlier version and I haven't figured out😀
I think you have a ID4 version infotainment system. Software navigation will be slightly different than the ID6 version that I have. Please follow the sequence below and try. All the best! Please update.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-_dsc7201.jpg
This is the normal TPMS display which indicates only tyre pressure.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-_dsc7213.jpg
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-_dsc7214.jpg
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-_dsc7215.jpg
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-_dsc7216.jpg
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-_dsc7220.jpg
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-_dsc7223.jpg
This indicates both pressure and temperature. Both are updated once the car starts moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Also your maps look different from mine, I guess I can get a software upgrade for mine as well
You also have Navigation Plus. Maybe a software update should help. That will infact update map files too, which is good.
Chethan B G is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 16:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I think you have a ID4 version infotainment system. Software navigation will be slightly different than the ID6 version that I have. Please follow the sequence below and try. All the best! Please update.

You also have Navigation Plus. Maybe a software update should help. That will infact update map files too, which is good.

I tried but these options are not available on my version. Looks like 2018 Infotainment system is completely different
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 21:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Whoa, I took the X1 M-sport out for a test drive today evening, from Platino Classic Trivandrum, along with my nuclear family.

IMHO, BMW should have named the sport mode as sledgehammer mode.

No intention to write a review, as it was a 15-minutes affair. Also did a test drive in Merc GLA. It has this puny joystick that's mounted on steering column, for gear selection. The GLA has a better AC, more funky interior, a Mercedes that's a very-Mercedes.

Bringing the sheer driving pleasure out is where the M-Sport shines. The man-machine interface is just fantastic, absolutely solemn. Everything disappears except the HUD speedo and the sunday-evening chaos n front of you, on Kovalam Bypass road. Nothing comes in between you and your car, irrespective of whether you're driving it in 20 kmph or 73 kmph (that I clocked today evening). The GLA does not have that "connect".

Sadly, though my heart wants to go for the Beemer, the money manager in me is clearly advising me to go for the Toyota Fortuner AT AWD. I didn't get its test drive today.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 29th July 2018 at 21:54.
sandeepmdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 14:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed that you mentioned the car comes with the M Sport suspension, congrats. I remember graajas thread where he had to add it extra.
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 15:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

So it seems,

An Upgrade from a VW Jetta is a BMW only! First Me, Then graaja and now you! All of us had our previous car as a Jetta! And all 3 of us got a different bimmer according to our needs! Bhpian iliketurtles who is also driving a VW jetta as of now is almost convinced her next car too would be a BMW!

Many congratulations man! Car is dope! Wish you many many miles of happiness!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 15:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
So it seems,

An Upgrade from a VW Jetta is a BMW only! First Me, Then graaja and now you! All of us had our previous car as a Jetta! And all 3 of us got a different bimmer according to our needs! Bhpian iliketurtles who is also driving a VW jetta as of now is almost convinced her next car too would be a BMW!

I second that. I want to be added in that list too

@Chethan
Congratulations!! Wish you lakhs of happy miles
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 19:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Bringing the sheer driving pleasure out is where the M-Sport shines. The man-machine interface is just fantastic, absolutely solemn. Everything disappears except the HUD speedo and the sunday-evening chaos n front of you, on Kovalam Bypass road. Nothing comes in between you and your car, irrespective of whether you're driving it in 20 kmph or 73 kmph (that I clocked today evening).
Absolutely! You said it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
the money manager in me is clearly advising me to go for the Toyota Fortuner AT AWD.
Toyota Fortuner is well suited for Kerala roads; That Butch appearance gets respect in traffic, helpful on those winding roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Just noticed that you mentioned the car comes with the M Sport suspension, congrats.
Thanks! That sure saved me some money! I would not have lived with the regular suspension for a long time for sure! As this is covered under warranty, I don't have any worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
So it seems,

An Upgrade from a VW Jetta is a BMW only!

Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
@Chethan
Congratulations!! Wish you lakhs of happy miles
Thanks!
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 00:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the X1. Its one of the best German car out there which ticks all the right boxes. Even with XC40, BMW X1 still remains the best car overall.

Definitely the right upgrade from a VW.

I have a few questions:
1. Does you X1 comes with Aux in port? As per BMW India all cars post Feb 2018 do not come with Aux in port. Same with my car.

2. Fuel tank capacity, you stated as 50 litres. I was of the opinion Indian X1 comes with extra range fuel tank option which is rated at 61 litres. Can you recheck and let me know. 50 liters is too less.

3. Music volume on Bluetooth and USB in is slightly lower in comparison to Radio. I always bump up the volume when playing via bluetooth/usb compared to radio.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 09:38   #39
BHPian

Congratulation, Chethan B G! X1 is a very practical luxury car for our conditions.
I like the fact that it is taller than the earlier version.

Very well written review too! Read it in one go and enjoyed every bit of it.

If you are too concerned about the ride quality then definitely get the RFTs replaced by Tubeless but otherwise RFTs are just fine. Safer than normal Tubeless ones.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 12:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Congratulations on the X1. Its one of the best German car out there which ticks all the right boxes. Even with XC40, BMW X1 still remains the best car overall.
Thanks!

Quote:
1. Does you X1 comes with Aux in port? As per BMW India all cars post Feb 2018 do not come with Aux in port. Same with my car.
No. Aux in is not available. But do we need it? I would have preferred at least 2 USB ports. Only one is available.

Quote:
2. Fuel tank capacity, you stated as 50 litres. I was of the opinion Indian X1 comes with extra range fuel tank option which is rated at 61 litres. Can you recheck and let me know. 50 liters is too less.
My mistake. I should have been specific; Fuel tank capacity including reserve is 61 ltrs. 50 ltrs is the approximate capacity excluding reserve. As this is what is practically usable, I mentioned to calculate the range.

X1 has an option to have an additional fuel tank. But for cars sold in Indian market, this space (which is adjacent to the fuel tank with extended range) is left empty.

I usually do not use the fuel in reserve and fill up as soon as the low-fuel indicator comes on.

Why You Should Always Keep a 1/4 Tank of Gas in Your Car

Quote:
3. Music volume on Bluetooth and USB in is slightly lower in comparison to Radio. I always bump up the volume when playing via bluetooth/usb compared to radio.
Yes. I too noticed it. Will have to figure out a way to correct the same. I will explore the settings and update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Congratulation, Chethan B G! X1 is a very practical luxury car for our conditions.
I like the fact that it is taller than the earlier version.

Very well written review too! Read it in one go and enjoyed every bit of it.
Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Quote:
If you are too concerned about the ride quality then definitely get the RFTs replaced by Tubeless but otherwise RFTs are just fine. Safer than normal Tubeless ones.
I am not paranoid about the ride quality. Even though the RFTs sounds crackling, it is not uncomfortable. I will keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks!

Just curious; Does increasing the tyre profile help? Say to 235/50/R18 - RFTs?
Old 1st August 2018, 12:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Chetan on your X1! This is rapidly becoming a Team BHP favorite.

The new X1 as mentioned has really improved in the looks department as opposed to it's long nosed predecessor where the bonnet looked too long compared to the rest of the car.

I particularly liked the dark brown shade of the interiors. Is this specific to the M-Sport package or do regular variants get the same shade? It's a welcome departure from the standard biege.

Good to see that BMW is listening to Indian sentiments and providing a spare and that too with it's own storage.

Wishing you many miles of JOY.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 13:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Heartfelt congratulations! Love the colour combination. Normally this is a standard norm with BMW, getting a light exterior shade with dark interiors is very easy as compared to getting dark/dark theme. My brother had to haggle quite a bit and we finally got an X320d with black exterior and mocha interior from a dealer in Chandigarh. Even then the headliner is not all black and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Thats the magic of BMW, you tend to forget a few details when its all about the driving experience. Coming to the same, I wanted to know from you first hand how the ergonomics are. For me thats the only thing that matters on the inside and makes me love my Octy (even with its tantrums).

So how do you really feel being in the X1 after the Jetta which is another ergonomic marvel from VW? In our VAG cars, things just fall in the correct places, I could operate anything on the dash and cockpit area in an Octy, Jetta, Passat, Tiguan, etc. with my eyes shut. But sadly as you mentioned, Passat or Tiguan is not a true upgrade as you don't get much of a nuance you expect from a new ride after being patient for about 5-6 years. I have plenty driving experience on a 520d and I feel its ergonomics could have been better. Hope thats not the case with the X1? The ride height should compensate a lot for the flaws in ergonomics I presume. This is the last time I use the word ergonomics, I promise!

Besides the above mentioned ten letter word, how do you manage with missing features such as cruise control, front sensors, A MUTE BUTTON (damn it!), auto hold (dummy button looks very bad!) and the lot. I couldn't bear to miss all these in my upgrade. Luckily the 3 series now has all of these features and more! Still I am gonna wait for S60 and I am yet to look at the XC40 too!

You mentioned its difficult to close the rear hatch, I have noticed this on my Octy as well as many other such hatch doors, say on the Innova. Basically because the boot is open to the cabin and the air gets trapped if we close it quickly. Leaving a window or any of the doors slightly open, the hatch should close effortlessly. This idea is redundant in an electric tail gate as the mechanism pulls the door to lock mechanically. Even this is one thing I must have on my upgrade car.

Also the sex-cee alloy wheels are just the perfect size and design suiting the car silhouette very well. Only thing it is very difficult to keep the beautiful diamond cut finish on the wheels from curbing, at least on stock tyres. It might be a good idea to replace (if you plan shifting to tubeless) tyres now with a wider section and enjoy even better grip along with a slight lip to protect the alloys. Do keep updating the thread and I hope the 400nm will make you forget everything else I just mentioned above and enhance your BMW JOY.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 13:43   #43
BHPian

Hi chetan,
I am late to party but better late than never.
First of all, congratulations for your such a technically analytical decision.

You were an inspiration fore remapping so many jettas in this forum. You, tanveer, Graaja all upgrading to BMW, and i am pretty sure i would take the same boat but not in near future. I am still in love with my remapped Jetta even after 90000kms on ODO. Do you think its wise to wait for G20 3 series or upgrade when the existing stocks are going on discounts? Also for some reason, i dont see recent Msport version of 3 series or GT or X1 for that matter, price must be the reason, since it touches the 5 series almost.

Enjoy the bliss. Should i be postponing the Joy?
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 14:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No. Aux in is not available. But do we need it? I would have preferred at least 2 USB ports. Only one is available.
Received call from BMW India Gurgaon, confirming AUX no longer comes in X1 from Feb 2018. Even I agree with your point that 2 USB would have been better.

Quote:
My mistake. I should have been specific; Fuel tank capacity including reserve is 61 ltrs. 50 ltrs is the approximate capacity excluding reserve. As this is what is practically usable, I mentioned to calculate the range.
Good to know. 50 litre would be too less. In VW Vento TDI I could fill in about 67 litres of fuel via fuel air vent button giving 800+ Kms range which was excellent for long drives.

Quote:
X1 has an option to have an additional fuel tank. But for cars sold in Indian market, this space (which is adjacent to the fuel tank with extended range) is left empty.
How much fuel can it hold and how can we procure that part?

Quote:
Yes. I too noticed it. Will have to figure out a way to correct the same. I will explore the settings and update.
Do let me know. As per BMW India on call; there will always be a difference. Since Radio is via satellite and USB/Bluetooth streaming volume level depends on source quality.

Quote:
Just curious; Does increasing the tyre profile help? Say to 235/50/R18 - RFTs?
Nope. RFT are inherently harder and will never be same as tubeless.

Quote:
Upgrading to tubeless, voids suspension warranty and also voids it under BSI as well. So you got to stick to RFT till warranty & BSI.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 14:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Upgrading to tubeless, voids suspension warranty and also voids it under BSI as well. So you got to stick to RFT till warranty & BSI.
The dealer here in Pune told me that tyre change will have no impact on the warranty in any form.

I guess a couple of BHPians switched to tubeless immediately after the car delivery.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed