Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Congrats Chetan on your X1! This is rapidly becoming a Team BHP favourite.
Thanks Shibujp!

Quote:
I particularly liked the dark brown shade of the interiors. Is this specific to the M-Sport package or do regular variants get the same shade?
Mineral white exterior and Mocha Interiors with black headline are the choices available only with Msport variant.

Quote:
Good to see that BMW is listening to Indian sentiments and providing a spare and that too with it’s own storage.
As we cannot live without a spare tyre, we will end up spending a lakh easily to get one. This now is an added savings! Getting a spare tyre with any of the German cars is so refreshing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Heartfelt congratulations! Love the colour combination.
Thanks a lot Adi!

Quote:
Thats the magic of BMW, you tend to forget a few details when its all about the driving experience. Coming to the same, I wanted to know from you first hand how the ergonomics are.
So how do you really feel being in the X1 after the Jetta which is another ergonomic marvel from VW? In our VAG cars, things just fall in the correct places, I could operate anything on the dash and cockpit area in an Octy, Jetta, Passat, Tiguan, etc. with my eyes shut. Besides the above mentioned ten letter word, how do you manage with missing features such as cruise control, front sensors, A MUTE BUTTON (damn it!), auto hold (dummy button looks very bad!) and the lot. I couldn't bear to miss all these in my upgrade.
I am yet to get a complete hang of the features. But I do miss a few things from the Jetta. As you rightly mentioned, Jetta’s ergonomics are brilliant. RCD 510 may be a simple system with basic features, but is integrated with the car very well. Tweeters on the A pillars are awesome! Audio has entire bandwidth of frequency covered. X1 doesn’t cover the higher frequency range that well, as it lacks tweeters in the ORVM housing.

Mute/Pause button on the steering is one thing that I miss big time! It was so convenient! One touch telephone dialer was practical too. These simple things will be missed a lot.

X1’s bonnet ends straight down and does not taper like that of the Jetta. Therefore, it is easy to gauge the distance in front. That helps a bit to forget about the missing front sensors. And I just pacify myself saying that it is more engaging to drive without the cruise control! I still have to get used to the start/stop button placed on the left side, behind the steering wheel.

Auto hand brake would have helped make the hand-brake package complete. Dummy button on the steering wheel looks weird for this segment!

There are some silent features in the X1 which helps forget these lapses. For example;

1. Key-fob memory which sets almost everything in the car as per driver’s profile.
2. BT can be paired simultaneously with 2 mobiles, one for telephone and the other for music.
3. Web-Radio is ultimate!
4. Apple CarPlay – This is pending to be retrofitted.

As you rightly said, 400Nm of torque with Sports suspension helps forget everything!

Quote:
Luckily the 3 series now has all of these features and more! Still I am gonna wait for S60 and I am yet to look at the XC40 too!
I whole-heartedly wish that you get everything that you desire in a single package!

Quote:
You mentioned its difficult to close the rear hatch, I have noticed this on my Octy as well as many other such hatch doors, say on the Innova. Basically because the boot is open to the cabin and the air gets trapped if we close it quickly. Leaving a window or any of the doors slightly open, the hatch should close effortlessly. This idea is redundant in an electric tail gate as the mechanism pulls the door to lock mechanically. Even this is one thing I must have on my upgrade car.
I get what you mean, but I have tried with door/window open too. The problem here is that the gas struts (stiffer than required) and the lock-mechanism are designed to suit electric tail gate. Issue doesn’t arise with an electric tail gate as the mechanism pulls the door and holds it in position to lock mechanically.

Quote:
Also the sex-cee alloy wheels are just the perfect size and design suiting the car silhouette very well. Only thing it is very difficult to keep the beautiful diamond cut finish on the wheels from curbing, at least on stock tyres. It might be a good idea to replace (if you plan shifting to tubeless) tyres now with a wider section and enjoy even better grip along with a slight lip to protect the alloys.
I will keep this in mind! 245/45R18 - 100W should do? Is there any particular tyre that you suggest? I am desperately waiting for this size to be available with Michelin PS4.

Quote:
Do keep updating the thread and I hope the 400nm will make you forget everything else I just mentioned above and enhance your BMW JOY.
Sure Adi. All the best to you! Get your dream car buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Hi chetan,
First of all, congratulations for your such a technically analytical decision.
Thanks a lot for your kind words Mission_PGPX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
You were an inspiration for remapping so many jettas in this forum. You, tanveer, Graaja all upgrading to BMW, and i am pretty sure i would take the same boat but not in near future. I am still in love with my remapped Jetta even after 90000kms on ODO. Do you think its wise to wait for G20 3 series or upgrade when the existing stocks are going on discounts? Should i be postponing the Joy?
Thanks!

F30 3 series is a great car and if you don’t mind owning an out-going model, you can make use of the discounts. G20 is expected to be bigger and handle better. May get a few added features too, but will be pricey without discounts, at-least at launch.

No question of postponing joy, since you are anyway enjoying remapped Jetta!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
50 litre would be too less. In VW Vento TDI I could fill in about 67 litres of fuel via fuel air vent button giving 800+ Kms range which was excellent for long drives.
50 ltrs @ 14 Kmpl gives a range of 700 Kms, which is decent in my opinion?

Quote:
How much fuel can it hold and how can we procure that part?
I have no idea. This is beyond extended storage. The empty space is too large to be considered as space allocated for “add blue” tank.

Quote:
Upgrading to tubeless, voids suspension warranty and also voids it under BSI as well. So you got to stick to RFT till warranty & BSI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
The dealer here in Pune told me that tyre change will have no impact on the warranty in any form.

I guess a couple of BHPians switched to tubeless immediately after the car delivery.
I specifically asked if changing to tubeless tyres void warranty. I was told “NO”, unless and until the damages point towards use of tubeless tyres. IMO, if tubeless tyres are of same diameter with rim protection; there should not be a problem. It will not affect ABS calibration and also protect rim in case of a puncture.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:09   #47
Team-BHP Support

A bit late to see the review.. Congratulations on the upgrade! And good decision to go for the top variant. The brown interiors look fabulous
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 20:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
My mistake. I should have been specific; Fuel tank capacity including reserve is 61 ltrs. 50 ltrs is the approximate capacity excluding reserve. As this is what is practically usable, I mentioned to calculate the range.
During ongoing discussion I asked BMW India to confirm the Fuel Tank capacity to know whether it came with 51 litres or 61 litres (Larger Fuel Tank option). As it is know where explicitly mentioned.

As per the below email received it is 51 litres. Since you too own X1 and have deep knowledge about product; what is your opinion? Does Indian X1 comes with 61 litres (Larger Fuel Tank option) as written by you or BMW India did cost cutting on fuel tank capacity as well?

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-fuel-tank-capacity.png
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 08:07   #49
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Mineral white exterior and Mocha Interiors with black headline are the choices available only with Msport variant.
Great Review Sir! Extremely informative!
I am looking at getting an X1 with these interiors, but don't ever anticipate going 'off-roading' & hence am not thinking of the AWD. I have been suggested the X1 MSport FWD which is priced slightly less than the AWD.

Is the X1 MSport FWD a good bet for purely city driving? Any ideas on what kind of discounts I should be getting on this? (Have been offered about 7 Lacs less on the Ex-Showroom of 41.5 Lacs, in Pune).

Thank you,
AJ
AJo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 12:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations on the upgrade! And good decision to go for the top variant. The brown interiors look fabulous
Thanks vb-san!

Quote:
During ongoing discussion I asked BMW India to confirm the Fuel Tank capacity to know whether it came with 51 litres or 61 litres (Larger Fuel Tank option). As it is know where explicitly mentioned.

As per the below email received it is 51 litres. Since you too own X1 and have deep knowledge about product; what is your opinion? Does Indian X1 comes with 61 litres (Larger Fuel Tank option) as written by you or BMW India did cost cutting on fuel tank capacity as well?

Attachment 1789069
Hi el lobo 6061,

X1 has a fuel tank volume of 61 liters which includes reserve. In my car, the low fuel light comes on when the fuel meter indicates just below the quarter tank mark. After this, when I refill, the tank accepts about 45 to 50 liters of Diesel.

As X1 returns an FE of 16+kmpl on highway, this gives a range of over 700kms, which is practically good enough. Typically, SUV's have a larger tank capacity, but at the same time, their FE is lesser resulting in similar range. X1 being a fuel efficient car, does not require a larger tank IMO, as it is a waste carrying unnecessary extra fuel. It is always the RANGE that is important.

What Is a Car’s Standard Fuel Tank Capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
Great Review Sir! Extremely informative!
Thanks a lot Aj!

Quote:
I am looking at getting an X1 with these interiors, but don't ever anticipate going 'off-roading' & hence am not thinking of the AWD. I have been suggested the X1 MSport FWD which is priced slightly less than the AWD.

Is the X1 MSport FWD a good bet for purely city driving?
FWD is more than enough for the city. But if you are planning to keep the car for a long time, I would suggest AWD as your requirement may change over time.

X1 AWD is not exactly an off-roader. But it handles uneven surfaces far far better than a sedan. GC is much higher than Sedans and that makes it practical on our roads!

Quote:
Any ideas on what kind of discounts I should be getting on this? (Have been offered about 7 Lacs less on the Ex-Showroom of 41.5 Lacs, in Pune).

Thank you,
AJ
7 Lacs on Ex-showroom is an excellent discount IMO! Is that a 2018 model?

All the best with your new purchase!!
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 18:49   #51
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
7 Lacs on Ex-showroom is an excellent discount IMO! Is that a 2018 model?
All the best with your new purchase!!
Thank you, Chethan.
I believe the X1 Msport FWD has just been introduced (earlier ones were AWD?) - so should be a 2018 one? Best to check the VIN I guess.
AJ
AJo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 00:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Chetan or other X1 owners, do you know what the highlighted part was meant for?
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-chetan.png  

bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 09:38   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Chetan or other X1 owners, do you know what the highlighted part was meant for?
I could be wrong but seems like those are mounting for rubber bumpers which are missing from Indian version. Probably they are placed in EU models to meet the minimum safety gap requirement for fingers (or for additional dampening for bonnet?!).
Old 4th September 2018, 09:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I could be wrong but seems like those are mounting for rubber bumpers which are missing from Indian version. Probably they are placed in EU models to meet the minimum safety gap requirement for fingers (or for additional dampening for bonnet?!).
Cost cutting? Is it mentioned in the manual? Is it different from the Euro spec car?

Let us go through this checklist and find out if we have been hard done by (a la Ford)
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 09:48   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Cost cutting? Is it mentioned in the manual? Is it different from the Euro spec car?

Let us go through this checklist and find out if we have been hard done by (a la Ford)
I am not sure. If it is for minimum gap requirement then it is not for cost cutting as they will follow the safety guidelines of each country/region and India may not have such a requirement.

If it is for some other reason then may be it is cost cutting of some sort. Can't really say.
Old 10th September 2018, 19:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

yeah looks like it is just some rubber stopper mount, wonder how much cost they saved. at least it was not some cross bar missing
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-2016bmwx1reallifephotos2.jpg  

bottle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 09:44   #57
BHPian

Quote:
yeah looks like it is just some rubber stopper mount, wonder how much cost they saved. at least it was not some cross bar missing
Is that an EU model or American? If that part is for additional dampening then it is definitely cost cutting from BMW but if the part is for minimum gap requirement as per EU standards, then probably it is just a matter of following different regional standards.
Old 11th September 2018, 11:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

This pic that I found on google, shows the part zoomed in, and looks like a hexagonal shape bolt, might not be rubber but not exactly sure what it is. Tried finding BMW parts catalogue but was not able to locate it. Someone with access to BMW parts catalogue can pin point though for everyones knowledge.
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-2016bmwx1engineattheiaa2015.jpg
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 12:30   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This pic that I found on google, shows the part zoomed in, and looks like a hexagonal shape bolt, might not be rubber but not exactly sure what it is. Tried finding BMW parts catalogue but was not able to locate it. Someone with access to BMW parts catalogue can pin point though for everyones knowledge...
Below is the BMW parts catalog for the bonnet assembly.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_2504

That is most probably the hood adjuster. Part #12 in the below image.

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-hood.jpg

Part number is 51767183752

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-part-number.jpg

Close up image of the part

BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-hood-adjuster-image.jpg

From the descriptions I checked in the net, this is used to adjust the gap between the hood and the fenders.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 12:51   #60
BANNED

Quote:
do you know what the highlighted part was meant for?
Quote:
I could be wrong but seems like those are mounting for rubber bumpers which are missing from Indian version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Cost cutting? Is it mentioned in the manual?
Quote:
Someone with access to BMW parts catalogue can pinpoint though for everyone's knowledge.
I don't own an X1 but for curiosity's sake check Boodmo for Parts Catalogue of the X1.

I think it is the No. 12 in the diagram on the left. Highlighted that on the right side of the picture
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-psx_20180911_124324.jpg

Part No. and Price of that Part
BMW X1 (F48) xDrive 20d M-Sport : My favorite machine!-screenshot_20180911124707.jpg

I may be wrong too.

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2018 at 08:16. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks