Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2019, 16:50   #76
BHPian

Re: The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience

@A.G.

Awesome read this thread is

I've quite a few queries for my Titanium 3.2 4x4 AT (Dec'18 model) of which mentioning 2 right now as below:

Quote:
c. Dashcam: Got the A119S which has Sony sensor and very good night clarity but it sacrifices on the horizontal adjustment of the lens and the lens itself has a slightly narrower Field of View. The kit included Circular Polarization Filter to avoid capturing glares, GPS mount, Hard Wire Kit and fuse tap. I had wrongly specified the fuse tap to be Micro Fuse Tap and received the same but the Endeavour uses Micro2 fuse. A Class 10 memory card was separately purchased.
Where have you hardwired Dashcam? 12V socket OR 12V Socket Fuse OR Ignition Fuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G. View Post

Step 1: Open FORScan and click on the About icon.
Attachment 1801560
Are these Laptop screen images?
Have you connected Laptop with OBD reader thro' USB?
The OBD reader that you mentioned in subsequent post with in-built HS/MS Can switch & with USB interface, does it also support the other apps like Torque Pro, Mini OBD2AA etc etc to view various data?

I intend to do following with FORScan:

Activating Climate menu on DIS, Side lights while turning, TPMS pressure readouts, Auto Folding ORVM on locking the car (gues last 2 items - TPMS & Auto-folding ORVM's are currently not possible with FORScan)

Last edited by TheIndian : 25th February 2019 at 16:54.
TheIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 14:37   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
TPMS & Auto-folding ORVM's are currently not possible with FORScan)
TPMS uses rolling differential to calculate if any of the tyres are under optimum pressure. So there are no sensors per se, to show the pressures of every individual tyre.

In as far as the folding ORVM's are concerned - again, hard luck. The current iteration of the Endy in India does not have any link between the ORVMs and the BCM. It is a simple electrical circuit which is like an on/off switch - on to open the mirrors, and off to close. I too had lot of hopes but was disappointed.
krishsreedharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 09:49   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Where have you hardwired Dashcam? 12V socket OR 12V Socket Fuse OR Ignition Fuse?
I have hardwired the Dashcam. Fuse tap for the Endeavour are not available, so had to wind wire on the fuse itself which is not the best approach. If I remember correctly, Fuse number 5 (Direct 12V) and 36 (after ignition ON) have been used for both the Dashcam and GPS tracker.
Quote:
Are these Laptop screen images?
Have you connected Laptop with OBD reader thro' USB?
The OBD reader that you mentioned in subsequent post with in-built HS/MS Can switch & with USB interface, does it also support the other apps like Torque Pro, Mini OBD2AA etc etc to view various data?
Yes, these are laptop screen images. The ELS27 USB reader works only on Windows PC and that too only with FORScan.
Quote:
Activating Climate menu on DIS, Side lights while turning, TPMS pressure readouts, Auto Folding ORVM on locking the car (gues last 2 items - TPMS & Auto-folding ORVM's are currently not possible with FORScan)
TPMS readout & Auto Folding ORVM cannot be activated using FORScan. While the former is not available in facelift and opens up a ray of hope, the latter requires additional hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
TPMS uses rolling differential to calculate if any of the tyres are under optimum pressure. So there are no sensors per se, to show the pressures of every individual tyre.
The TPMS uses proper rim mounted sensors.
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-t11_7.jpg

The readouts are available through FORScan, Ford's own IDS tool and even a common bluetooth adapter. I have even configured to show mine on the SYNC3 display (Refer this picture)
A.G. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 10:14   #79
BHPian

@A.G - I stand corrected then. I was under the impression it was from the rolling differential since I could not see any options. Apprecaiate if you can throw some light onto how I could get a read-out similar to yours.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:41   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.G. View Post
The readouts are available through FORScan, Ford's own IDS tool and even a common bluetooth adapter.
Hey A.G, I am glad that you were able to add the tyre pressure values on your sync screen

I spent some time with FORscan and noted that there are no PIDs for tyre pressure values and tried to add the custom PIDs using Ford's predefined list.

Was able to add the PIDs but these were not able to provide the reading. Can you please check if the values/parameter's are correct for these PIDs.

See the screenshot below from torque:
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-tyre.jpg
Old 27th February 2019, 14:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
Apprecaiate if you can throw some light onto how I could get a read-out similar to yours.
The pre-requisites are SYNC3, Android Phone with USB cable, OBD2AA app, Torque Pro app and OBD2 adapter. The developer of the OBD2AA app has defined the steps in a crystal clear manner here which if followed completely should get you the data from the various modules of the Endeavour on the SYNC3 display.

Note: I am just a user of the app and in no way related to the developer or promoting his app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
I spent some time with FORscan and noted that there are no PIDs for tyre pressure values and tried to add the custom PIDs using Ford's predefined list.

Was able to add the PIDs but these were not able to provide the reading. Can you please check if the values/parameter's are correct for these PIDs.
The PIDs and the equations are all correct. It is surprising that the you are not getting any readouts for these PIDs. Are you able to read the TPMS data in FORScan (I guess the sensors are listed in Body Control Module)?
Old 1st March 2019, 09:53   #82
BHPian

FORScan can read the Tyre Pressures. In the screenshot, you can see the Tyre Pressures and the battery behaviour at the time of cranking which I was additionally monitoring.
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-forscan_tpms_batt.jpg
A.G. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 12:48   #83
BHPian

Fourth Service Experience:

The fourth service was sort of done in stages. The rear brake pads started screeching at 27,269 Kms and were replaced in November 2018. Closer inspection revealed that the wear on the pads was uneven and only 1 brake pad out of 4 was below the safe recommended limit. The calipers were thoroughly inspected for free movement and the guide pins were greased after through cleaning to prevent this in future. Front brake pads were replaced under warranty as they had developed cracks while the battery was also replaced as it did not pass the test as per report. Anti-rust coating was opted for in this visit and the total spending came to Rs. 10,667/-.

Brake pad with minimum and maximum thickness
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-t37_1.jpg

Front suspension at it’s maximum travel with the tyre still touching the floor
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-t37_2.jpg

Service was performed in December 2018 at 29,983 Kms and finally this time the fuel filter was a part of the PMS itself. The service at Harpreet Ford, Sahibabad was blazingly fast and the time taken including washing was 3 hours. Total bill came to Rs. 7,445/-.

Inspection of the Fuel Tank guard as it had taken a hit while making own roads to avoid a traffic jam
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-t37_3.jpg

Fuel filter post 10K Kms usage
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-t37_4.jpg

Surprisingly low cost of service despite getting 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Oil
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-t37_5.jpg

The brake pedal started feeling a bit spongy despite the new brake pads all around. The PMS mentions the replacement of the brake fluid at 2 Years or 40K Kms but the same was replaced in February 2019 at 32,085 Kms to solve the issue. Additionally the cabin air filter was replaced and it was interesting to learn that 2 types are available – without and with charcoal coating. Opted for the latter with total costs of this visit coming to Rs. 3,043/-.

Brake Fluid
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-t37_7.jpg

Finally, the 3D alignment and road force balancing was done outside at Pirelli Store post attending the Ford off-road event in March 2019 at 33,448 Kms. The tyres were swapped on the rims as an additional measure for marinating even wear on the inside and outside of each tyre. The final bill post discount came to Rs. 2,295/-.

Tyres removed for swapping on rim and for balancing
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-t37_8.jpg

Alignment in progress
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-t37_9.jpg
A.G. is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 21:30   #84
BHPian

What an amazing thread! I have read it a few times i must confess. This thread and the Official Team BHP review of the Ford Endeavour are what made me choose this vehicle as the replacement for my trusty truck Obelix.

Your indepth knowledge of your vehicle has left me amazed and a bit intimidated.
The Fortuner was a mechanical beast and there was literally nothing to really play around with except for tyres, suspension and music system.

The Endeavour is an entirely different animal.
I am very tech challenged and will be picking your brain umpteen times with regard to updates and all kind of electronic thingamajiggary that the Endeavour is equipped with.

I would also like to thank you for all your support these past 8 weeks, and putting me in touch with the right people so that Apache could finally come into my life.

Rated this thread its well deserved 5 stars!

Here is a pic of Apache!
Attached Thumbnails
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-screenshot_20190613175825_gallery.jpg  

The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-screenshot_20190613175843_gallery.jpg  

The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-screenshot_20190613175729_gallery.jpg  

Manuuj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 19:54   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
What an amazing thread! I have read it a few times i must confess. This thread and the Official Team BHP review of the Ford Endeavour are what made me choose this vehicle as the replacement for my trusty truck Obelix.
First of all congratulations and wishing you a Happy experience with Apache. I am glad that my views were helpful in the making the right choice.
Quote:
I am very tech challenged and will be picking your brain umpteen times with regard to updates and all kind of electronic thingamajiggary that the Endeavour is equipped with.
Would be happy to share my knowledge and in process learn new things about the facelift.
Quote:
I would also like to thank you for all your support these past 8 weeks, and putting me in touch with the right people so that Apache could finally come into my life.
Despite all the effort, sad that it could not culminate into absolutely meaningful support
A.G. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 00:10   #86
BHPian

Getting the Snorkel

With the facelift, Ford introduced a couple of new accessories and Snorkel was one of them. While I do not intend to do river crossings, it was a long pending itch to have a Snorkel on one of our SUVs and what better than having an O.E. Snorkel. With this Snorkel being conceptualized with the Endeavour (Everest) right on the drawing board, the fitment does not require cutting any body panels and rather uses the existing vent / cavity for channeling the air. Even the lower part of the airbox is replaced to accommodate the side entry of the air as opposed to original part having air entry from front. The kit comes with a detailed guidebook making the fitment little bit easier.

The contents (lower part of the airbox was in a separate box)
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_1.jpg

Original Airbox removed
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_2.jpg

Rubber plug covering the existing cut in the Engine bay to accommodate the parts of Snorkel
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_3.jpg

Side vent, Tyre and fender lining removed to access the cavity which will house the new tubing and mount for Snorkel
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_4.jpg

Inside view of the space
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_5.jpg

Bracket to hold the Snorkel on fender riveted after applying surface treatment
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_5a.jpg

2 brackets to hold the Snorkel from the top are supplied – the one to be used on Endeavour (Everest) is the lower one
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_7.jpg

The most challenging part in the entire fitment is mounting this bracket below the driver side roof rail. To remove the roof rail, the headliner needs to be lowered along the entire length of the vehicle which then yields access to bolts securing the roof rail in place. Once the roof rail is removed, the bracket is fitted below the roof rail and to have a flush fitting, a notch needs to be slightly trimmed.

Bracket fitted below the roof rail
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_8.jpg

With the roof rail fitted back, this is how the bracket looks
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_9.jpg

New airbox with side entry installed
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_10.jpg

View of the Engine bay with no front entry in the airbox
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_11.jpg

First picture post completion of Snorkel fitment (intermediate steps couldn’t be shot due to application of fast curing sealant)
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_12.jpg

Front view of the Snorkel – while its not visible, there is an insulation pad between the Snorkel and Fender to damp any vibrations so that there is no noise
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_14b.jpg

Side view
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_14c.jpg

Gap between pillar and Snorkel
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_14d.jpg

From the parameters logged before and after installation of Snorkel, it is crystal clear that the Engine is definitely getting cooler air now
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_snorkel_compare-0-speed_13.jpg

An update to the PCM to version ANP was also available
The Built Tough Ford Endeavour 3.2 Titanium - Ownership Experience-endeavour_pcm.jpg

The most noticeable change post Snorkel install is the sound – with the windows down, the sound of the air gushing in from the Snorkel is a soundtrack in itself. With windows up, the active noise cancellation mutes it greatly. Throttle feels more connected now and the response is instantaneous. Launching from a standstill with a heavy right foot seems to build up speed quicker due to lesser restriction of air to the intake.
A.G. is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 09:33   #87
BHPian

Pardon me for asking a dumb question but that Air intake is facing the front on top without anything guarding to stop heavy rain water getting in to the pipe.

How does the machanism work to avoid heavy rain water from getting into the Air Filter?

I guess for the stock intake, the front bumper acts as a barrier for heavy rain water getting into the intake.

Thanks.
Old 28th June 2019, 12:25   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Pardon me for asking a dumb question but that Air intake is facing the front on top without anything guarding to stop heavy rain water getting in to the pipe.

How does the machanism work to avoid heavy rain water from getting into the Air Filter?

I guess for the stock intake, the front bumper acts as a barrier for heavy rain water getting into the intake.

Thanks.
Snorkel heads are designed not to allow even torrential rainwater in. The only thing that one has to be careful is while washing the vehicle with a pipe or jet washer, taking care not to directly stream water at the snorkel head.

I usually would cover the snorkel head with a plastic bag while washing the vehicle with a hose to prevent accidental spray directly into the snorkel head.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 18:47   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post

Thanks.
Update: There is usually a little water that does infact enter the Air Filter Box which has drain holes to allow this water to drain out. The actual Air Filter sits a little higher so that little amount of water does not get it wet.

One should regularly check to make sure that
these drain holes are not clogged else water will enter the system.

Snorkels are not foolproof by any means for deep water crossings. The main purpose for installing one is to get cool clean air from the raised intake. Engines love cool clean air..specially big diesels.

For short periods of submersion a Snorkel will help ofcourse but for longer periods in deeper than 800 millimeter water, it will not be able to do much as water will enter the system from the drain holes in the Air Box.

For deep water crossings one has to ensure the whole system is well sealed including the drain holes in the air box. Breathers also have to be mounted high up in the engine compartment for the gear box and differential.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...snorkel_10.jpg
I did not notice any drain holes in the pic of the Air Box posted by A.G. though.

Apart from this the alternator and electricals also have to be protected from water.

The Endeavour comes with 800 millimeter wading capability which is quite good. This means that the Air Box, Breathers and Electricals are protected up to that depth as standard.

A snorkel addition while very helpful for getting cooler cleaner air into the engine will not add much in terms of increasing the 800 millimeter water wading depth.

Ofcourse the aesthetics being enhanced are another positive but that is again a subjective matter.

Some people mount the Snorkel head facing forwards while some prefer it facing back. The Gurkha comes with a snorkel fitted from factory with the Snorkel Head facing backwards.

That is a topic for an entirely different debate.

Last edited by Manuuj : 28th June 2019 at 18:53.
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 20:02   #90
BHPian

Saw an interesting video on the engineering that has gone into the water wading capabilities of the Ford Everest/ Endeavour.

They stated in this video that the Air Box comes equipped with a valve which i understand must be a Non Return Valve which would not allow water from entering the Air Box from the drain holes.

That means that the raised air intake that the Snorkel would provide will surely help protect the engine feom hydrolocking during water crossings deeper than the standard 800 millimeters as the Air Box is already protected with a Non Return Valve.
Manuuj is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks