Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2018, 15:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Video Review: 2018 Honda Jazz (Facelift)

Likes;

- Engine Refinement
- CVT Convenience
- Feature Rich, Interior Space
- Ride Quality

Dislikes;

- Engine Performance on Highway
- Pricing (At this price point you can buy some entry level sedans)
- Cream/Beige Interiors, Magic Seats Omission
- Looks Undertyred

Video Review;

I start off the video with some JAZZ music & relate (By the end of the video in the conclusion) the similarities of JAZZ Music with the Honda Jazz.

Video Review: 2018 Honda Jazz (Facelift)-screen-shot-20180902-3.00.50-pm.png

The variant i am driving is the 1.2L Petrol CVT & the car is reviewed on Engine Performance, CVT Gearbox, Handling, Ride Quality & how it works out as a Premium Family Hatchback in the Indian context;

Video Review: 2018 Honda Jazz (Facelift)-screen-shot-20180902-3.10.00-pm.png

Key Findings;

- This is a facelift but Honda India haven't changed the bumpers, nor the headlamps, nor the grille, not even the alloy wheel design. Interior changes to name a few is addition of front centre armrest & the new infotainment system (Support of apple car play & android auto). In features they have added the Smart Keyless Entry, Cruise Control & A Start Stop Button.

- The overall attempt to make a facelift in India is so half hearted that it seems the Changes were decided in a lunch break by Honda engineers & is not entirely like the 2018 HONDA FIT.

- Strangely Honda engineers have omitted the MAGIC SEATS. But still the Seats do fold, but they just dont go flat & not the kind of combinations available in the pre facelift model.

​- The Horn sounds too cheap & quite audible inside the cabin. Something to do with the Horn placement/direction ?

- The 1.2L (L12b) petrol motor is underpowered but being an SOHC the the low end drivability ​is ​good specially for city driving​, ​but on the highway its numb & even the VTEC cant save this motor.

- Overall the Jazz 1.2L Feels like a big car with a small engine.​ ​The 1.5L Honda City petrol motor would have shined in the Jazz (i.e. Export Spec).

-​ The REFINEMENT is the ​trump card here for ​this engine & oh boy, its just simply fantastic. If you are stationary its almost impossible to know wether the engine is running or not. The refinement is ​that good, typically Honda !

​- The CVT i believe is the same one which is offered in the Honda City & like any CVT gearbox it prefers the traffic & not open roads. This transmission doesnt like to be pushed, may be you wont like to push it either.

- Handling competency of the JAZZ at high speeds remains pretty stable and safe enough to maintain healthy speeds. BUT with just 175/65 R15 the JAZZ seems undertyred.

- My tip would be to upgrade to 195/60R15 to enhance looks, increase handling prowess.

- Ride quality is a major strong point for the Honda JAZZ as the suspension seems perfectly damped for the Indian roads.

​- Lets not forget that the Honda Jazz is an expensive hatchback & at this price point it does open up options of various other entry level sedans as well. ​But if for a moment you forget that & look at Jazz as a product individually then i think it​ may be ​the perfectly packaged spacious hatchback your family needs.

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd September 2018 at 15:45.
karan561 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2018, 22:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Video Review: 2018 Honda Jazz (Facelift)

Good review. Problem with Honda is that they cant seem to let go off the profits they make per product sold. Jazz needs a 1.5 VTEC, 6 airbags, magic seats. I test drove it yesterday too and it feels sturdy, solid, big car feel but engine is deeply underpowered. Ride is good.

Honda should look at Maruti, with every 50000 increase in price there is a new maruti model. as long as cannibalisation happens inhouse it should be accepted. Honda in India is just a mediocre unit and this comes from someone who happily owns 3 hondas.
M00M is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 21:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Good review.
Thanks

Quote:
Problem with Honda is that they cant seem to let go off the profits they make per product sold. Jazz needs a 1.5 VTEC, 6 airbags, magic seats. I test drove it yesterday too and it feels sturdy, solid, big car feel but engine is deeply underpowered.
True, i believe Honda are already making the Jazz with the 1.5L petrol & exporting it to South Africa. Its a pity we dont get what we manufacture in India

Quote:
Honda should look at Maruti, with every 50000 increase in price there is a new maruti model. as long as cannibalisation happens inhouse it should be accepted. Honda in India is just a mediocre unit and this comes from someone who happily owns 3 hondas.
I agree with you, Honda needs better products & they seriously need to add a driver focused car in their line up to gain back the enthusiasts interest. They got saved by the success of Amaze recently.

Even though they are launching the new CRV & Civic in the coming months but they are too late to the party, IMO.

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd September 2018 at 21:59.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 22:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Even though they are launching the new CRV & Civic in the coming months but they are too late to the party, IMO.

Crv diesel with 120 bhp and on road 35-40 lac price range is also disappointing. What stop them from bringing the 160 bhp ? Just save money and make higher profits per unit sold. They say we don't expect higher volumes but how would you if you provide mediocre engines ? You provide 160 bhp then you would have more sales.

Even they're bringing petrol crv with 2.0 unit and no awd . 2.0 unit is outdated where is the 1.5 turbo petrol ? Bring that and standardise it amongst all products , but they won't do that . Short sighted ness .

Civic let's see how they goof up that product now .
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 23:32   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review once again. Rating thread a well deserved 5 stars.

Unfortunately, how I wish I could say the same about the Jazz. Honda has become one of the most laid back manufacturers in India today. While the likes of Fiat, VW, Nissan/Datsun and Renault have a plight that is understandable, I don't think anyone would have predicted Honda would be where it is 5-10 years back.

Messed up product lineup, poor feature allocation, frequent cost cutting to maximise profits are what these idiots have been upto in the recent past. Being someone who has spent considerable amounts of time with a 3rd gen City, I still miss the good old days.

Honda needs to realise that the V-tec won't be enough to give them the much needed boost (pun intended) in the higher segments. Naturally aspirated petrols might work upto the D-segment, however, anything beyond requires commitment and investment, both of which they seem to be lacking.

The Amaze and the City have been the only saving grace in what has been a dismayal run for Honda India. Hope they come to realise that following in Maruti's footsteps and moving away from their core values (reliability, build quality and performance) won't help. There was a time when the City was the best seller and single handedly swept the competition with a petrol only option.

Today's scenario has changed. Hope the head honchos realise this and do something.

Have high hopes from the next generation civic. Hoping it stands up to all the hype.

Thanks for the review once again,
Vishy
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 10:46   #6
BHPian

Great review on the Honda Jazz CVT iVtec

It is a very good, spacious family car, especially for city. I was about to book this one, but changed in the last minute to Amaze V CVT Diesel as I liked the way it delivered power. Agreed on the iVtec - i can't figure out whether the engine is running or switched off even on my 12 year old Civic in my apartment car park, they are that refined.

The top end is going slightly above 10L i guess and is touching the Sedan territory for sure, but we shouldn't forget Jazz is much spacious and has better rear seat comfort than many "sedans" out there

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 16:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Excellent review once again. Rating thread a well deserved 5 stars.
Thanks Vishy for the appreciation & the 5 star rating

Quote:
Honda has become one of the most laid back manufacturers in India today. While the likes of Fiat, VW, Nissan/Datsun and Renault have a plight that is understandable, I don't think anyone would have predicted Honda would be where it is 5-10 years back.
True that !

Quote:
Have high hopes from the next generation civic. Hoping it stands up to all the hype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Civic let's see how they goof up that product now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Great review on the Honda Jazz CVT iVtec
Thanks Swami69 !

Quote:
It is a very good, spacious family car, especially for city. I was about to book this one, but changed in the last minute to Amaze V CVT Diesel as I liked the way it delivered power. Agreed on the iVtec - i can't figure out whether the engine is running or switched off even on my 12 year old Civic in my apartment car park, they are that refined.
Amaze CVT diesel being the latest product was a better pick indeed, congrats !

Quote:
The top end is going slightly above 10L i guess and is touching the Sedan territory for sure, but we shouldn't forget Jazz is much spacious and has better rear seat comfort than many "sedans" out there
Sure thing !
Old 4th September 2018, 16:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Solid video review which confirms a few observations from my short test drive.

Ultimately bought the Jazz a few days back (delivery pending) & a detailed review from my end is in the works.

Reason for buying the Jazz in a nutshell - Top trim petrol automatic hatchback having 90% of required features available around the price point I set.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 00:19   #9
BHPian

karan561 Superb video review. You started a new trend of video review here on team bhp. Wish to see official video reviews of new cars along with write up.

Honda in india has meticulous planning to kill CRV and Civic. Both cars are missing the turbo charged 1.5L motor. May be some people will still buy civic for its diesel and automatic, but what about CRV? Its going to be a still born baby is what i feel. I own honda amaze 1.2 AT with 5speed Torque converter from past 5yrs 5mts and had done 73K till date, and not a single problem except for regular service. Changed all 4 suspension components recently just to use it may be for another 2-3yrs more.
drbones is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 22:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Solid video review which confirms a few observations from my short test drive.

Ultimately bought the Jazz a few days back (delivery pending) & a detailed review from my end is in the works.
Thanks blackasta & congratulations

Quote:
Reason for buying the Jazz in a nutshell - Top trim petrol automatic hatchback having 90% of required features available around the price point I set.
Fair Enough !

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
karan561 Superb video review. You started a new trend of video review here on team bhp. Wish to see official video reviews of new cars along with write up.
Thanks drbones for your motivating comments.

Quote:
Honda in india has meticulous planning to kill CRV and Civic. Both cars are missing the turbo charged 1.5L motor. May be some people will still buy civic for its diesel and automatic, but what about CRV? Its going to be a still born baby is what i feel.
Variants & engine options aside but what irritates most is the lethargic attitude in launching the global models here.

The 5th gen CRV which they are going to launch has been in the global market since early 2017.

Similarly the 10th Gen Civic had been launched in early 2016, though they are launching the facelifted Civic next year but still the facelift Civic was revealed in April 2018 hence again Honda is late.

Quote:
I own honda amaze 1.2 AT with 5speed Torque converter from past 5yrs 5mts and had done 73K till date, and not a single problem except for regular service. Changed all 4 suspension components recently just to use it may be for another 2-3yrs more.

Last edited by karan561 : 5th September 2018 at 22:54. Reason: Typo !
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 23:07   #11
BHPian

karan561, try to get your hands on new amaze petrol AT, as you can now compare it with jazz. I feel amaze is a much better car than jazz right now in indian market.
drbones is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 23:51   #12
BHPian

Jazz always looked like an incomplete product to me. For what it asks and what it has it never tugged my heart. After the first Jazz was discontinued, I waited for 2-3 years for it to be launched and when it did, it simply did not bowl me over.
AKTRACK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 21:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
karan561, try to get your hands on new amaze petrol AT, as you can now compare it with jazz. I feel amaze is a much better car than jazz right now in indian market.
Sure, i'l try

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
Jazz always looked like an incomplete product to me. For what it asks and what it has it never tugged my heart. After the first Jazz was discontinued, I waited for 2-3 years for it to be launched and when it did, it simply did not bowl me over.
Overall the Jazz is a very thoughtfully packaged car, but the desirability quotient would have gone up if Honda offered the 1.5L petrol or a Diesel A/T
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 12:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel amaze is a much better car than jazz right now in indian market.
I checked out the new Amaze in flesh while at the showroom to discuss on getting the Jazz.
Although the new Amaze is an attractive proposition chiefly due to what it offers at the price point (with diesle + cvt being a key differentiator at the segment), if you dive deeper, several cost cutting measures shall become apparent as one progresses.
It it currently outselling the Jazz by miles and some more though !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
Jazz always looked like an incomplete product to me.
The following would have made Jazz a completely rounded offering this time IMO:
  • Retention of Magic Seats (preferably at all trims - now they have decided to cut down the number of trims)
  • Retention of the spoiler on the top trim
  • Rear Headrests
  • DRL (as the market seems to be fond of it)
  • Projector Headlamps (again - the market demands it, and competitors offer the same)
  • Height adjustable seat belts

Cherry on the top would have been a ZX model with 1.5L Petrol Vtec Engine and the above mentioned goodies on the same.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 19:16   #15
BHPian

Blackasta, Jazz with 1.5 would be the best car if launched, sad with the way these companies work. Magic seats are the one which makes Jazz stand out, and even I was disappointed when they were skipped on the top trim. DRLs are now the industry norm, every vehicle must be fitted with DRLs.

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2018 at 09:10. Reason: Typos.
drbones is online now   Received Infraction

Most Viewed