Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2018, 10:47   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Real Steel - My 2018 Honda Jazz Petrol VX CVT in Modern Steel Metallic

Hi blackasta,

That's a nice and detailed review of the Jazz. This is one of the roomiest hatchbacks with many useful storage spaces that money can buy. The CVT makes it quite simple to drive as well as long as you are not too enthusiastic.

That said Honda should have continued to offer features like magic seats, which were one of the main reasons that I liked the Jazz in the first place. Deletion of such unique features just shows that a company is not interested in selling the vehicle. Sad.

Wish you many happy miles of motoring.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 15:58   #17
BHPian

Congratulations Blackasta on owning your new steed! Wish you miles & miles with smiles. Read every word, dude you've spoken your heart in this review!

Being a fellow Jazzer (VMT Oct'15), I must tell you that Jazz is a stylish, fuss-free, reliable, refined, rev-happy, effortless, no-nonsense, easy-going and contemporary vehicle which rather loves to cruse and is happy to reward you with an all day comfort coupled with an excellent FE.

On a side note, another important feature which would have been a welcome in the 2018 Jazz is the heat absorbing/UV cut front XXL windshield at least in the VX trim. I hope Honda understands its importance and makes an effort to accommodate in the future releases.

Cheers!
Nohonking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 21:30   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats. Wish you 1,000's of happy miles ahead.

The way Kolkata traffic has become off-late, an AT should be the default choice. Our left leg is more precious than the joy of driving a manual! If i had to drive in Kolkata traffic daily, even a hardcore manual lover like me will settle down for an AT hatchback.

This car offers you ample of space, yet its a sub 4 meter, so easy to park in tight space, a super smooth and time tested engine, Honda reliability & the crash test result by Euro NCAP in 2015 was a whopping 5*. That means its a safe car for the highways too! So what else do one need!

Excellent choice i must say. Loved the color too.

Last edited by Samba : 28th September 2018 at 21:34.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 13:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
First tankful got me around 13 kmpl, but my commute is 50% congested roads vs 50% highway, so it may not match with your usage pattern and achieved FE.
How come actual FE is more than MID data ? It is normally otherway round. Jazz is one car I love. May be my next car would be a Jazz CVT. Availability of top end now with CVT has made the choice easier. Only thing lacking is a bit of power. Still the car achieves 100 kmph easily & picks up speed faster than what I expected, that I remember from the TD of earlier Jazz CVT. How is the ride quality of the facelifted version as compared to the previous one?

Wish you miles of enjoyable motoring with your new Jazz.

Cheers
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 13:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
How come actual FE is more than MID data ? It is normally otherway round.
I have the same question ! But second tank till date is giving me about 12.5 kmpl in spite of encountering super congested roads in some parts.

As for ride quality, I have not driven any previous model of Jazz, but it feels better than my i10 which was a bit on the tighter side.
With only driver or driver + front passenger, the rear has a tendency to jump a bit (this is with 30 PSI tire pressure).
Maybe I shall try lowering the pressure by a couple of PSI and check it again after next tankful (I check / adjust tire pressure at every tankful, which, for the Jazz should normally come around as twice every month).

Last edited by blackasta : 29th September 2018 at 13:48.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 22:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

First blood - and it hurts like hell !

Hit a concrete pillar while trying to back into a parking slot at office basement parking.

I have been using the parking spots in or around that area since 2013, and would have probably parked hundreds of times into the same parking slot in the exact same way, but that wasn't the way to be last Tuesday.

Somehow, the bigger car, my inexperience of never having driven any car (except maybe a couple of rentals in distant past) equipped with parking sensors / parking camera and a moments brainfreeze led me back up quite hard on the edge of the pillar.

Came out and saw that the bumper has gone in (no cuts or creases, no paint chips but a big vertical dent) and the rear lamp cluster was broken (thankfully it was the reflector part - all lights continue to work).

Parked the car with a heavy heart & left.

Googled / youtubed throughout the week for possible DIY resolutions, and checked that the Honda Jazz rear bumper is quite easy to take out.

Come weekend, and I dismantled the tail lamp cluster only to hit another roadblock - that I did not have the correct sized tox bit to unscrew the bumper. Nevertheless, noted that there's a gap when the tail lamp cluster is taken out, and that allows some access into the inner side of the bumper.

Carefully heated the bumper from the outside with a heat gun (if you ever attempt this - BE VERY CAREFUL in order to not accidentally strip the paint, or injure yourself), and pushed from inside with a small MF towel to bring the bumper back to shape. After a few minutes and a couple of re heating & pushing, achieved 95% satisfactory results. Re-attached the tail lamp cluster after that. The bumper now is slightly dislocated, which I figure can be corrected if I can get the correct sized torx bit to unscrew - adjust - screw back the required screws.

Real Steel - My 2018 Honda Jazz Petrol VX CVT in Modern Steel Metallic-img_20180929_100612.jpg

Real Steel - My 2018 Honda Jazz Petrol VX CVT in Modern Steel Metallic-img_20180929_100622.jpg

The broken tail lamp cluster has to be replaced - planning on doing that during first free service (or maybe another DIY if the costs associated are spectacularly high!)

Last edited by blackasta : 29th September 2018 at 23:10.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 02:26   #22
BHPian

Firstly let me congratulate you for your new car ! You really lived up to your tradition of being the 'AT' guy Hope to see the new Jazz in upcoming travelogues and teambhp meets !

Quote:
When I took the above facts into consideration (expense of about 80k plus), it seemed that this is the tipping point where putting more money into the existing car is not really justified.
Somehow i don't agree with this ideology. I agree this is the right thing to do, taking decision by head, but my views are different. I can pay multiple times more to repair something which i am emotionally attached with, be it my first mobile or my first car. My Nokia N70 is still in working condition, as good as new.

Quote:
The broken tail lamp cluster has to be replaced - planning on doing that during first free service (or maybe another DIY if the costs associated are spectacularly high!)
I can imagine how bad it feels Thank god its superficial & cosmetic. I am sure you will get over it once everything is repaired and car looks as good as new !

Last edited by Samfromindia : 30th September 2018 at 02:28.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 11:56   #23
Team-BHP Support

Really sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident. I know how bad it hurts. Good job on getting the bumper back in shape though.

A friend who owns a Jazz says the new tail light unit costs north of Rs 3500. Do let us know how the replacement goes.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th September 2018 at 12:39.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 16:42   #24
BHPian

Congratulations on the car. We were in for a automatic last year. But the non availability of the top trim in the jazz and its lack lustre dash made us look the other way. The other way was the GT TSI. Since space was not the prime concern and drivability was.

Many happy miles to you.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 18:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Few updates that I wanted to share - which are quirky in my opinion:

• The cabin light comes on when the hatch door is opened (alongwith the luggage lamp). It turns off by itself after a in spite of the hatch remaining open. IMO there was no need to turn the cabin light on when the hatch is being opened.

• There is no separate 'hatch open' warning light in the console.
    Once I had closed all doors and the hatch, but the 'door open' sign glowed red. Puzzled, I got down, opened and closed all the doors - still the sign would not go away. Then I opened and closed the hatch - still the sign was there. Then I realized, that my tennis bag shoulder strap was over the metal latch in the hatchback, and that probably was interrupting a connection. Set it aside, closed the hatch and all was fine.
    But IMO a separate 'hatch open' warning sign should have been there.

• Android Auto sometimes freezes - shutting down the HU and restarting resolves the issue. I think there's some specific list of actions being done in a sequence that induces this failure and have to further pinpoint the same.

Also one bottleneck

Tried to install mudflaps bought from Amazon. Although the rear ones went in without a hitch, I am stuck on the front ones.
The holes of the mudflaps coincide with the holes where the wheelwell cladding is held to the body with plastic rivets. The rivets holding the front wheelwell cladding are small in size, so that when an additional layer of plastic in form of mudflaps is put in, they are unable to hold it the mudflap+cladding snug with the body due to insufficient length. Anyone has any suggestions? Would these help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
Heartiest Congratulations Dada on your new acquisition. Have been following your i10 ownership thread keenly, will be following this one too. Already hooked.
Thanks a lot - hope the Jazz treats me as well as my i10 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye10 View Post
A precise and eye for detail ownership review!
Congratulations and wishing you many fun miles ahead!
Btw, I was also on the same boat as yours replacing my 9 year old i10 (MT) and considering few critical things (like space, CVT and surely Vit M), booked Baleno Delta CVT which will be delivered early next week.
Thanks - looking forward to reading your ownership thread !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
That said Honda should have continued to offer features like magic seats, which were one of the main reasons that I liked the Jazz in the first place. Deletion of such unique features just shows that a company is not interested in selling the vehicle. Sad.
Wish you many happy miles of motoring.
Thanks - yes , deletion of the magic seats really takes away the USP of the Jazz. Even my non petrolhead friends knew about the 'rear seat that could be folded in a variety of ways' - it was sad to let them know that this feature has been removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post
Congratulations Blackasta on owning your new steed! Wish you miles & miles with smiles. Read every word, dude you've spoken your heart in this review!

Cheers!
Thanks - yes magic seats & UV ray cutting front glass would have been welcome features in the top variant atleast.

Also - yours & GKMahajan's thread on your respective vehicles helped me a lot to finalize on the Jazz - so thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Congrats. Wish you 1,000's of happy miles ahead.

Excellent choice i must say. Loved the color too.
Yup - Kolkata traffic is turning into the stuff of nightmares - my own version is while returning home from office at around 9 PM , stuck near the airport. AT box, good audio, good AC, good brakes and a loud horn are the needs of the hour!

Congrats on the 'D' badge !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Firstly let me congratulate you for your new car ! You really lived up to your tradition of being the 'AT' guy Hope to see the new Jazz in upcoming travelogues and teambhp meets !
Thanks - yup the winter meet should be due in a couple of months!
Also - a certain Subhro would really relish your PoV in repairing & retaining things close to their heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Really sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident. I know how bad it hurts. Good job on getting the bumper back in shape though.

A friend who owns a Jazz says the new tail light unit costs north of Rs 3500. Do let us know how the replacement goes.
Let's see how much the Honda guys ask for - I plan to get this done out of pocket as I have a 50% NCB (for which I shall be applying soon & intend to use the same towards my next year renewal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Congratulations on the car. We were in for a automatic last year. But the non availability of the top trim in the jazz and its lack lustre dash made us look the other way. The other way was the GT TSI. Since space was not the prime concern and drivability was.

Many happy miles to you.
Thanks - availability of the top trim in AT was one of the major reasons for me to choose Jazz.

Last edited by blackasta : 30th September 2018 at 18:59.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 08:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
[b]

[*]There is no separate 'hatch open' warning light in the console.
Once I had closed all doors and the hatch, but the 'door open' sign glowed red. Puzzled, I got down, opened and closed all the doors - still the sign would not go away. Then I opened and closed the hatch - still the sign was there. Then I realized, that my tennis bag shoulder strap was over the metal latch in the hatchback, and that probably was interrupting a connection. Set it aside, closed the hatch and all was fine.
But IMO a separate 'hatch open' warning sign should have been there.
My Grand I10 has that

Quote:
Yeah I know how badly it hurts. I also want to do DIY for the dent on my car at the back bumper. Can you please guide me to DIY on team BHP forum if its already available.
Old 6th October 2018, 08:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
My Grand I10 has that
Even my almost decade old i10 had that !

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
I also want to do DIY for the dent on my car at the back bumper. Can you please guide me to DIY on team BHP forum if its already available.
I watched a lot of youtube videos on the topic before jumping in. Google 'bumper dent heat' and check out the videos.

Last edited by blackasta : 6th October 2018 at 08:55.
Old 8th October 2018, 21:05   #28
BHPian

Congrats on the new ride.

I'm pretty much in the same situation, and strongly considering Jazz CVT as my next car. The only thing I'm skeptical is about the (maybe perceived insufficient) ground clearance. We have monster sized speed humps here in Bangalore and I'm not certain if a fully loaded Jazz (5 passengers & luggage) will be able to glide over without scraping. If you don't mind, can you please share the on-road final cost? And discounts obtained - Cash and otherwise. There's approx. 50K difference between V & VX CVT variants, and I may go for VX.

Also, heard about some new rule where we need to take 3 years insurance now itself? Though I'm yet to finalize, the Honda SA casually mentioned about giving 50% discount on the comprehensive insurance. I forgot to ask if he was talking about 1 year or 3 years. Although, I doubt it is for 3 years, since the price sheet specifies cost of 1 year comprehensive insurance. I had transferred ownership of my current car to my dad few years ago, so not sure how much NCB I have, etc. New car will be registered in my name.

Last edited by prashkul : 8th October 2018 at 21:10.
prashkul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 22:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Congrats on the new ride.

I'm pretty much in the same situation, and strongly considering Jazz CVT as my next car. The only thing I'm skeptical is about the (maybe perceived insufficient) ground clearance. We have monster sized speed humps here in Bangalore and I'm not certain if a fully loaded Jazz (5 passengers & luggage) will be able to glide over without scraping. If you don't mind, can you please share the on-road final cost? And discounts obtained - Cash and otherwise. There's approx. 50K difference between V & VX CVT variants, and I may go for VX.

Also, heard about some new rule where we need to take 3 years insurance now itself? Though I'm yet to finalize, the Honda SA casually mentioned about giving 50% discount on the comprehensive insurance. I forgot to ask if he was talking about 1 year or 3 years. Although, I doubt it is for 3 years, since the price sheet specifies cost of 1 year comprehensive insurance. I had transferred ownership of my current car to my dad few years ago, so not sure how much NCB I have, etc. New car will be registered in my name.
On road final cost is Rs 10,18,805. Includes the following:

Quote:
Final On road price: 10.18 lakhs (Ex showroom + Registration + 5 yr road tax + essential kit + Honda Assure zero dep insurance + 5 yr 100K km extended warranty + 5 yr RSA + Honda genuine seat cover) - minus the trade in value of the old car 1.25 lakhs.
Discounts were minimal in form of Rs 4000 as corporate discount , and Rs 5000 as discount on seat covers.

The reason I paid full price for insurance is because of the 3 year rule coming into place, the SA had to book a fresh 1 year insurance for me on 31st August night.
Else if I had waited till 12th September to trade in my car and then transfer the NCB, the only option would have been to take the 3 years insurance. I plan to obtain the NCB certificate from the insurer soon and shall apply it towards my 2nd year renewal.

All new car insurances from 1st September have to be for 3 years. If you have transferred ownership of your car to your dad quite a while back, it may be a bit difficult to get the NCB certificate from the insurer.
Old 13th October 2018, 17:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

First free service at 1 month / 1074 kms

Booked the first free service a week back and went in today to get it done at Pinnacle Honda.

Issues / complains from my end

1. A mild click noise is heard everytime the wiper goes up while at intermediate position.

2. Wanted to check the price of the rear right side tail lamp cluster & if suitable, replace the same.

Resolution

1. Checked and found to be normal, and is noise from the wiper relay. The SA showed me another Jazz that also had that mild clicking noise, although fainter in comparison to mine. Came home and researched online to be assured that this noise is there in the same / earlier models of Jazz / Fit in other markets too.

2. The tail-lamp cluster price was showing at about Rs 6900+labour in the Honda inventory system, which even surprised the SA. As functionality is not affected, myself and the SA mutually agreed to continue with the current setup for the while. Just for comparison, boodmo shows the price as 2700. I guess I shall do some further parts number matching & replace it myself buying from the open market.

What was good

Friendly attitude, no intention to push sell or oversell services, car cleaned properly and handled with seat / steering / gearknob covers.

What could have been better

Time taken to complete the servicing - I went in to the dealership at 9:15 and came out at 2 PM. First free service should have less turnaround time IMO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks